Priority Pick Hypothetical

Machsy

Stupid post. Hypothetically speaking all the players named by you are not worth a top 10 pick.

Just to point out your stupidity more, Gold Coast are not flush with tall forwards, and GWS could be included in a multi club deal.

You know what's stupid?

Not understanding what a hypothetical is.

You know what's more stupid?

Not being able to spell "demonstrative."

Really, I was just interested in generating some discussion to see what the consensus was on what we'd get.

Part of my motive was to also "demonstrate" my belief that we may wish to trade it for mature midfielders, but we are unlikely to get what some of us may think is "fair value" for a number 1 pick, i.e. a player of the ilk of Pendlebury.

Feel free to add to the discussion like an adult.

• Like 1

The big thing that makes me wanna take boyd is that if Hogan up and leaves for the west at some stage we could cover the loss, my issue however is that we may get huge offers for boyd,

what if Brisbane offered Rich and Hanley?

I'd take Rich and Hanley in a heartbeat.

Hanley is underrated, has had a great year and looks to have a real future.

Daniel Rich is going to be a very good player, would fill a massive need for us - big bodied midfielder with a great boot.

Brisbane wouldn't offer both.

The thing is, most clubs in need of Boyd - only have young talent and talent they wouldn't give up.

I'd look to dangle Boyd in front of the big clubs, because they are the clubs under cap pressure and they know the need to get talent in for the future.

Hawthorn don't have much in terms of players suited to our rebuild, they've really maxed out to win this next flag, a lot of their players are older.

But Sydney have Parker, Adelaide have Sloane, Collingwood have Daisy, Sidebottom, Beams and a lot of youngster, these are the players we should be after.

We need a big bodied midfielder to help out Jones and for pick 1, he'd want to be at least Jones equal.

Put two quality mids under Jamar with the addition of Clark, Hogan and a fit Dawes in our forward line next year and that is rapid improvement.

We have a hell of a backline and need to keep Frawley at all costs.

The big thing that makes me wanna take boyd is that if Hogan up and leaves for the west at some stage we could cover the loss, my issue however is that we may get huge offers for boyd,

what if Brisbane offered Rich and Hanley?

Like Buddy is desperate to get back to WA? Taylor?

Dangerfield and Boak to VIC? Gaff, Shuey?

Josh Kennedy was from WA and was desperate to stay at Carlton, instead of going back to Perth.

Get decent players around them, pay them what they are worth, and they will stay.

Even if he goes, they have to trade with us and we'd be able to demand a hell of a lot.

I'd take Rich and Hanley in a heartbeat.

Hanley is underrated, has had a great year and looks to have a real future.

Daniel Rich is going to be a very good player, would fill a massive need for us - big bodied midfielder with a great boot.

Brisbane wouldn't offer both.

The thing is, most clubs in need of Boyd - only have young talent and talent they wouldn't give up.

I'd look to dangle Boyd in front of the big clubs, because they are the clubs under cap pressure and they know the need to get talent in for the future.

Hawthorn don't have much in terms of players suited to our rebuild, they've really maxed out to win this next flag, a lot of their players are older.

But Sydney have Parker, Adelaide have Sloane, Collingwood have Daisy, Sidebottom, Beams and a lot of youngster, these are the players we should be after.

We need a big bodied midfielder to help out Jones and for pick 1, he'd want to be at least Jones equal.

Put two quality mids under Jamar with the addition of Clark, Hogan and a fit Dawes in our forward line next year and that is rapid improvement.

We have a hell of a backline and need to keep Frawley at all costs.

I think if we improve Frawley will sign, i think he wants to stay but is just sick of all the crap, being boo'd by his own supporters, 100 point losses, give him a few wins and he might feel totally differently, but i agree, i think we either look for an A grade mid or 2 b grade mids like hanley and rich

They haven't got much in the tall forward department at the moment aside from Cloke. Could we snare on of Pendelbury, Beams or Sidebottom?

The only issue is whether or not those guys are actually worth pick one.

... if Mitch Clark has a season next year, like he was last season, he'll be worth 24 carat rolled gold. name your price, to Carlton or to Freo, WCoast? & maybe others... he'd be close to worth a Gaff.

If we get the 1st pick, then we take the best and it seems Boyd is a standout. We do need mids, but one important thing that everyone is overlooking is our ruck stocks. All of of rucks have significant short comings in their games. If you look at the top eight sides, they have rucks who win taps mark around the ground, support in defence and kick goals. Who do we have? Even with better mids, we need rucks who can get the ball to them.

Would you leave pick 1 open to offers or not even go that far? surely it would be silly not to at least see what sort of offers are made?

You've always got to look at offers, who knows someone may make the lifetime Alan Bond deal.

I think we have only a few non tradeables now if we are fair dinkum but of course they are all subject to the Alan Bond clause.

I believe Frawley, Garland, Jones, and Grimes (heart and soul player) are the ones we don't trade. Hogan of course is in this list the others are all fair game. If Trengove was playing like his first season and half I would put him in this bunch, I think he is another heart and soul player but I just don't know where he sits at the moment.

If Boyd is as good as they say then it would want to be something good to give him up. Of course every year there is some hype on the number one.

You know what's stupid?Not understanding what a hypothetical is.You know what's more stupid?Not being able to spell "demonstrative."Really, I was just interested in generating some discussion to see what the consensus was on what we'd get.Part of my motive was to also "demonstrate" my belief that we may wish to trade it for mature midfielders, but we are unlikely to get what some of us may think is "fair value" for a number 1 pick, i.e. a player of the ilk of Pendlebury.Feel free to add to the discussion like an adult.

You must get very frustrated at the packaging in supermarkets and have yet to master anything cryptic!! Sometimes a mis spell is by design (get it?)

Back to the discussion. If the club cannot get anyone of value with a PP or pick two, go back to the draft and rely on the new development program to develop our youth. Also place faith in the new (experienced) coach.

The club is not a charity or in the business of making other clubs stronger short term or long term.

Your hypothetical outlines your stupidity IMO.

Like Buddy is desperate to get back to WA? Taylor?

Dangerfield and Boak to VIC? Gaff, Shuey?

Josh Kennedy was from WA and was desperate to stay at Carlton, instead of going back to Perth.

Get decent players around them, pay them what they are worth, and they will stay.

Even if he goes, they have to trade with us and we'd be able to demand a hell of a lot.

I agree. Most young players want to play with their mates and get paid well. They also generally believe their coach and teammates are on the way to success.

You've always got to look at offers, who knows someone may make the lifetime Alan Bond deal.

I think we have only a few non tradeables now if we are fair dinkum but of course they are all subject to the Alan Bond clause.

I believe Frawley, Garland, Jones, and Grimes (heart and soul player) are the ones we don't trade. Hogan of course is in this list the others are all fair game. If Trengove was playing like his first season and half I would put him in this bunch, I think he is another heart and soul player but I just don't know where he sits at the moment.

If Boyd is as good as they say then it would want to be something good to give him up. Of course every year there is some hype on the number one.

Totally agree mate, i think Trengove will be fine when injury free, perhaps missions increase in fitness training hasn't agree'd with him, who knows, but if we picked up boyd my concern would be the list being far too top heavy if we didn't trade Fitz or Dawes, assuming we delist sellar and gillies

They haven't got much in the tall forward department at the moment aside from Cloke. Could we snare on of Pendelbury, Beams or Sidebottom?

The only issue is whether or not those guys are actually worth pick one.

pendles for sure, although no chance he would be offered. If they were to offer up beams i would take him in a heartbeat

If we get the 1st pick, then we take the best and it seems Boyd is a standout. We do need mids, but one important thing that everyone is overlooking is our ruck stocks. All of of rucks have significant short comings in their games. If you look at the top eight sides, they have rucks who win taps mark around the ground, support in defence and kick goals. Who do we have? Even with better mids, we need rucks who can get the ball to them.

We have a better ruck set up than both Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Jamar/Gawn combo next year will absolutely pants Bailey/Hale.

Jamar is a very good tap ruckman and Gawn is currently showing us what he will be.

opposition clubs would love to have Gawn coming through.

With Jamar in our side, our problem was still getting the ball out the centre and Jamar wins most of his taps - even though he is useless in every other facet of the game.

Our ruck stocks are better than they have been the past 5 years and you don't give up much for ruckman, if we need a mature ruckman, we will get one late in the draft.

Jamar is a very good tap ruckman and Gawn is currently showing us what he will be.

With Jamar in our side, our problem was still getting the ball out the centre and Jamar wins most of his taps - even though he is useless in every other facet of the game.

Our ruck stocks are better than they have been the past 5 years and you don't give up much for ruckman, if we need a mature ruckman, we will get one late in the draft.

Spencer shows quite abit as well.

Pick 1 & Watts for Yarran, Betts, Bell & Carlton's first pick.

Betts is a Free agent, Bell is rubbish. So basically you're saying Pick 1 and Watts for Yarran and a mid 1st rd pick? No way.

• Like 1

You must get very frustrated at the packaging in supermarkets and have yet to master anything cryptic!! Sometimes a mis spell is by design (get it?)

Back to the discussion. If the club cannot get anyone of value with a PP or pick two, go back to the draft and rely on the new development program to develop our youth. Also place faith in the new (experienced) coach.

The club is not a charity or in the business of making other clubs stronger short term or long term.

Your hypothetical outlines your stupidity IMO.

Well since this thread is based solely on that hypothetical, maybe intellectual lightweights like yourself should give it a wide berth.

I'm sure you can find some crayons somewhere that should provide you with entertainment better suited to you.

Pick 1 & Watts for Yarran, Betts, Bell & Carlton's first pick.

No way, now F'in way!

Put down the bottle, NOW!!

Agree on this 'ThreeOne'

But not on this, Grundy will be a very good player for the Pies. I still think Clark is our best ruck and if played there solves one midfield problem. Clark into the ruck Boyd at FF and look at others to trade for best deal and pick up some mids.

Would Stkilda offer montagna and armatige possibly?

Montagna at the end so no and Armitage a trade for one of our other forwards. Not worth a top pick.

Spencer shows quite abit as well.

What?! Take off the rose colored glasses guys.

Gawn has shown a bit but is a long way off holding down first ruck, Jamar doesn't kick or mark and can only tap to his feet and Pencil is VFL standard. Clark won't be risked in the ruck again if he returns and Fitz is unknown as a ruck.

Our midfield is terrible, and our ruck stocks are a significant contributor to that midfield woe.

I've said this in another thread earlier, it seems that the majority on here agree our midfield is the area needing the most assistance.

I think we should do a deal with GWS that would see pick 2 come to us with a midfielder, possibly Adams if he is wanting to come to VIC.

This would give us the best to Mids available in the draft with pick 2 & 3. Which I'm leaning towards Sheed and Aish.

Hopefully we can try and pick up another big bodied midfielder through a trade for a lower pick.

This is the main area that needs addressing. And needs to be fixed this trade/draft period.

Edited by CatFishPig

What makes you think GWS would want pick 1 so badly that they'd give up Adams to move up 1 spot in the draft?

I think it's madness.

GWS are shopping pick 1 around to other clubs in the assumption they'll get it.

They don't want it that badly.

It has much more value in trade to other clubs.

And Adams will get them more than just bumping a pick up by 1 spot in the draft.

It's just so unrealistic.

What makes you think GWS would want pick 1 so badly that they'd give up Adams to move up 1 spot in the draft?

I think it's madness.

GWS are shopping pick 1 around to other clubs in the assumption they'll get it.

They don't want it that badly.

It has much more value in trade to other clubs.

And Adams will get them more than just bumping a pick up by 1 spot in the draft.

It's just so unrealistic.

They need another big forward and Boyd could work wonders for them, or else they'll be able to fulfill those promises to other clubs that 'we'll give you Boyd for ...'. They want it because it has value for other clubs, which means they'll get a lot of value out of it.

However I agree that Adams and 2 for 1 doesn't really equate. Maybe we give them a second/third rounder too.

But if it theoretically has that much value, they'll have to give up just as much to get pick 1 from us.

It doesn't add up, unless we trade like Freo in the 2000s.

I don't agree that they need another KPF, especially one in nappies.

The thing that i don't like about the situation is Boyd is doing this against kids and he is compared to Hogan, our very own Jesse is dominating against men, alot of whom have played at AFL level, for mine he is a much better player based on that fact alone, impossible to know what Boyd will be like against Men, wouldn't be the first player ever to promise the world and be a total flop.

we need to look at all of our options regarding this pick, i can see us getting offered some very good deals for it and if we could add 1-2 quality mids to our list i would jump at it.