POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Good interview with Col Garland on the Sunday Inquisition on ABC on Sunday - he's a ripper, it's probably in here somewhere:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-30/the-sunday-inquisition-round-14/4790190?section=sport

Said he and Chip have had plenty of experience working together with the amout of ball coming in over the last few years and need games together with Tommy to get that real understanding going.

Said how Terlich and Clisby are great mates off the field and are really contributing to a stable back 6.

• Like 6

Rjay I tend to think the same thing, he can't be terrible as he has such a long involvement in the game as a coach at different clubs.

What I will add to that though is many of those years have been at Melbourne, no one had looked to poach him from us and we haven't been particularly successful during his tenure.

I suspect he knows his stuff, I'd solid and well respected but isn't at the top rung as an assistant.

I think a lot of people are having shots at him which is a bit unfair as we don't know what impact he has on game day. Having said that I have been pushing for Ling since last year to come into the club as an assistant if it is possible, it would be good to have a player from a successful club just recently out of the game involved.

Clearly Watts is a forward. Clearly Nicho is a run with tagger. Clearly Fitzpatrick finally has shown what he has to offer. I think the whole list has really stepped up. I see belief, confidence, no second guessing.

Craig although its early does seem to be able to coach...

They looked really focussed on him at 3/4 time. We finally have a coach ..

• Like 1

basking in the morning sun

BASKING, a win is a win is a win

don't shoot ourselves in the foot until Thursday

lets just bask in the glory of the 8 points

Love it Jazza

we certainly are starved for success

Im happy we won but that last quarter makes it feel like a loss. Very happy with Watts tonight.

I never feel like we lost when we win.. A win is a win is a win.. I am glad my daughter gave me a dees mug with the words of the club song engraved on it.(she told me it is so far between wins I may need to freshen up on the words) .. otherwise I would have had trouble singing along with the players....lol :blink:

I personally wanted to apologise to you for changing my Avatar Old Man. I hope you're able to forgive me in the not to distant future.

Still struggle to read your comments i guess that says something.

Oh and easy on the old man bit

• Like 1

I personally wanted to apologise to you for changing my Avatar Old Man. I hope you're able to forgive me in the not to distant future.

well I forgave you in .27 of a second

A couple of comments.

First, in defence of Maxy Gawn. Max has not had a full pre season and continuous game time for three seasons now. I have watched him at training during his rehabilitations over several seasons and have been extremely impressed with his irrepressible enthusiasm and diligence in the face of considerable injury setbacks. During the first three quarter Max showed what he will be capable of in the future, and I have no doubt he will be critical to our success in future years. The other point I would make is he plays a very mobile game style for someone so big. It constantly surprises me how often he makes a crucial tackle or takes a telling mark all over the ground when you would expect him to be in the middle half, so it is a high impact, high energy game style, which at this stage of his development is going to be exhausting. It was never planned that he should have played first ruck this year, and has only done so in the face of injuries to Jamar and suspension of Spencer. The bad luck (bad management) in missing out on Hannath only added to this dilemma. If I have a criticism about Saturday night, I think we should have used Dawes and Fitzy in the ruck more throughout the game to preserve Maxy's energies for a full four quarters. I think it will be a crucial lesson for everyone. I have no doubt max will be in the top half dozen first ruckmen in the AFL in years to come and we need to nurture him during his apprenticeship.

Secondly - Fitzy! I think he has huge potential, and has been plagued by injury and illness throughout his MFC career. He is just now getting to full fitness, and by playing regularly under Craig seems to be gaining confidence with every match. This guy is 6'6", and has an incredible tank and speed. If you watch the team train, particularly early in the season where there is a lot of running, he is an elite athlete, and is incredibly quick for such a big man, and has great endurance. Given another year's development, and constantly playing under Craig to gain confidence, I think he could be anything. Sadly though, I suspect he will be used a trade bait to get some elite mid fielders. I cannot see us playing Clark, Hogan, Watts, Dawes, Howe, AND Fitzpatrick in the same team. Fitzy is the logical one to miss out. Given Sheedy's comments yesterday where he said he went to Saturday night's game and saw a number of players in whom he would be interested, you would be surprised if Fitzy was not near the top of his list, given their lack of tall key position players. They also have a surplus of elite mids. Could be a good fit???

Thirdly, maybe our midfield stocks aren't as bad as we imagine? Don't forget we have Grimes and Viney out at present, and toumpas is just starting to find his feet (and looks to be an elite player), and Trengove seems to be coming back to form under Craig ( and is increasingly looking like he was in his first year). We probably need one or two more elite mids. In the meantime with an improved Roden as well, and the outstanding jones (both of them) we may give a few teams a bit of a shake for the rest of the year. Add hogan next, plus a fit Clark, and you never know what might happen......

Anyone for a premiership in the 50th anniversary year since our last one??????

Now wouldn't that [censored] off the other Melbourne clubs (and the AFL) - and Tony Shaw???

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 2

A couple of comments.

First, in defence of Maxy Gawn. Max has not had a full pre season and continuous game time for three seasons now. I have watched him at training during his rehabilitations over several seasons and have been extremely impressed with his irrepressible enthusiasm and diligence in the face of considerable injury setbacks. During the first three quarter Max showed what he will be capable of in the future, and I have no doubt he will be critical to our success in future years. The other point I would make is he plays a very mobile game style for someone so big. It constantly surprises me how often he makes a crucial tackle or takes a telling mark all over the ground when you would expect him to be in the middle half, so it is a high impact, high energy game style, which at this stage of his development is going to be exhausting. It was never planned that he should have played first ruck this year, and has only done so in the face of injuries to Jamar and suspension of Spencer. The bad luck (bad management) in missing out on Hannath only added to this dilemma. If I have a criticism about Saturday night, I think we should have used Dawes and Fitzy in the ruck more throughout the game to preserve Maxy's energies for a full four quarters. I think it will be a crucial lesson for everyone. I have no doubt max will be in the top half dozen first ruckmen in the AFL in years to come and we need to nurture him during his apprenticeship.

I think they did use Fitzy a fair bit in the ruck. In fact even in the last quarter they split it pretty evenly up until 10 minutes to go when Fitzy didn't have a lot left and Gawny was put back in the centre and it was all on you kind of thing for big Max.

I'd say they probably split it about 70-30 with Maxy also going forward a couple of stints.

I'd say this week they don't play Watts too deep and keep Fitzy in the goal square and do it about 65% Gawn, 35% Fitzy in the first half ruck. Then in the second half Gawny can ruck 70% of the game time but don't even put him forward. When he's resting keep him on the bench so that he gets a proper rest each time.

I wouldn't bother with Dawes in the ruck at all but I would try and keep him on the field as much as possible which means getting Fitzy and Watts to do the leg work at CHF whilst Dawes takes a period closer to goal.

Hopefully big Maxy has a bit more residual fitness in there it might just be adapting back to rucking a full game that got to him as well. Regardless of it being Casey or Melbourne he's only done stints in the ruck all year anyway and hasn't been the number 1 ruck too often at all. Also a dewy night and coming up against an absolute veteran in Minson didn't make it easy. Of course Pyke isn't much easier! One thing about Maxy is he actually snuck forward and kicked a goal on Minson and Minson didn't run all over us to beat us. It just came down to the contests where both men where out on their feat but both in the ruck and in his mark in the goal square Minson used his strength to will him to an advantage.

• Like 1

I think they did use Fitzy a fair bit in the ruck. In fact even in the last quarter they split it pretty evenly up until 10 minutes to go when Fitzy didn't have a lot left and Gawny was put back in the centre and it was all on you kind of thing for big Max.

I'd say they probably split it about 70-30 with Maxy also going forward a couple of stints.

I'd say this week they don't play Watts too deep and keep Fitzy in the goal square and do it about 65% Gawn, 35% Fitzy in the first half ruck. Then in the second half Gawny can ruck 70% of the game time but don't even put him forward. When he's resting keep him on the bench so that he gets a proper rest each time.

I wouldn't bother with Dawes in the ruck at all but I would try and keep him on the field as much as possible which means getting Fitzy and Watts to do the leg work at CHF whilst Dawes takes a period closer to goal.

Hopefully big Maxy has a bit more residual fitness in there it might just be adapting back to rucking a full game that got to him as well. Regardless of it being Casey or Melbourne he's only done stints in the ruck all year anyway and hasn't been the number 1 ruck too often at all. Also a dewy night and coming up against an absolute veteran in Minson didn't make it easy. Of course Pyke isn't much easier! One thing about Maxy is he actually snuck forward and kicked a goal on Minson and Minson didn't run all over us to beat us. It just came down to the contests where both men where out on their feat but both in the ruck and in his mark in the goal square Minson used his strength to will him to an advantage.

Maxy will probably get more of a rest up the forward line this week rather than going to the interchange, if you know what I mean...?

Agree with all those comments, and I think for the most part, most people have been fairly understanding of Gawn's situation. He busted a gut for three quarters and ran out of steam - it happens. I too wondered why Fitzpatrick wasn't given more time in the ruck under the circumstances, particularly in the last quarter. The main reasons I thought of were 1) that they didn't think he was capable of beating Minson or 2) perhaps he was just as knackered as Maxy. I would not agree with putting Dawes in to the ruck.

It was good experience for Gawn though. I heard in his post match comments that he was out on his feet and Minson just kept on running. Hopefully his fitness program gets enough continuity that he is able to survive conditions like that in the future. I was pretty stoked with how he played for the rest of the match.

Love the pic of Fitzpatrick. Must be a damn nice camera to get those close-ups that clear. Great work.

Looks like the Giant in Jack and the Beanstalk... lol BN7d9esCEAA5GOg.jpg

We simply ran out of "steam" and why wouldn't we as we are normally only used to running for about 20 mins each game...? We must benefit from performances such as these.. Mind you we now have Sydney and Geelong back to back and I wouldn't expect us to match them as yet with the outs we currently have.. Give it time.. We will be worth following again with a few more games under the belts of the inexperienced ones and when we recruit a couple of midfielders and get our best 22 in our matchday squads..

Nouns name people, places, and things. Every noun can further be classified as common or proper. A proper noun has two distinctive features: 1) it will name a specific [usually a one-of-a-kind] item, and 2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

Yes Sir !! WTF ?? :blink:

We simply ran out of "steam" and why wouldn't we as we are normally only used to running for about 20 mins each game...? We must benefit from performances such as these.. Mind you we now have Sydney and Geelong back to back and I wouldn't expect us to match them as yet with the outs we currently have.. Give it time.. We will be worth following again with a few more games under the belts of the inexperienced ones and when we recruit a couple of midfielders and get our best 22 in our matchday squads..

WRONG

another 4 points this week big fella

confidence is growing ,no negatives until after midnight Wednesday

how will they handle 2 blokes who everybody bagged terlich/toumpaaaaaa

don't forget today is 8 point monday

Edited by jazza
  • Like 1

Good interview with Col Garland on the Sunday Inquisition on ABC on Sunday - he's a ripper, it's probably in here somewhere:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-30/the-sunday-inquisition-round-14/4790190?section=sport

Said he and Chip have had plenty of experience working together with the amout of ball coming in over the last few years and need games together with Tommy to get that real understanding going.

Said how Terlich and Clisby are great mates off the field and are really contributing to a stable back 6.

He's a gem. It's great to hear. I wonder where Grimes fits in now. He'd have to play in the midfield or on a wing wouldn't he? Don't ruin a good thing.

well that's a load of manure, of course it matters

Perhaps, but I think that Professor Diesel is putting forward the mathematical theorem that "Winning is equal to, not less than, or greater than, winning," in short "Winning = Winning."

Hard to disagree with someone screaming the bloody obvious.

And yet here we are...

• Like 3

Perhaps, but I think that Professor Diesel is putting forward the mathematical theorem that "Winning is equal to, not less than, or greater than, winning," in short "Winning = Winning."

Hard to disagree with someone screaming the bloody obvious.

And yet here we are...

yes it is hard to argue that a margin of 1 point is the same as 200 points, therefore 1=200, yet here we are

• Like 1

This might sound crazy but that last quarter might be good for them. The game is never won.

Too true: being run over but holding on those dying last 90 seconds probably is a better learning experience than had they run away with the last Q.

The last 90 seconds was a real team effort....well done.

Had a lost, we would have been accused to tanking for a priority pick...

Looking forward to Caro's next article - "Dees tanking efforts not up to standard".

I was at a work function at the pub, watching the tv with no commentry.

It seemed that was Jack Watts best game ? any thoughts

I haven't been to many games but this was from my observations his best game.

Well.. I'm going to say it. The massive blunder by the boundary umpire giving the out on the full free kick to the Dogs cost us the momentum in the last quarter. For all the things that went our way tonight it makes me very angry.

Has the Geish justified it yet? Shocking decisions.