Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

if we land Roos we will smash through 40,000 members by round 1 surely

Whatever we pay Roos we will get our money back and then some from memberships alone, not to mention the crowds we will pull if/when we start winning under him

You could be right, i was being conservative as i believe we have a lot of wounded supporters now. The Neeld appointment was just wrong & i do not blame him.

But it almost killed my love of the game. I was ashamed at my own club.

I am very angry at Schwab. He and Conolly have lined their pockets.

A Roos or Clarkson will erase the scars quickly.

• Like 1

i think his prediction would have been taking into account the requirement that Roos'* involvement actually has a noticeable improvement on field.

*correct use of apostrophe - the involvement that belongs to Roos

:D

If Roos takes the job, he has been out of footy for a couple of years, so it is going to take him at least a season to get back up and running and get his backroom staff the way he wants it, he then has to work on the team, players are under contract, it is going to take at least two years to get the team together, we are talking about a team here that at the moment is taking beltings by 10 or more goals each week.............Roos will not come in and suddenly next season we have 40000 members and making finals.......posters need to realise that...........unrealistic expectations......happens to both coaches and players on this board

• Like 3

If Roos takes the job, he has been out of footy for a couple of years, so it is going to take him at least a season to get back up and running and get his backroom staff the way he wants it, he then has to work on the team, players are under contract, it is going to take at least two years to get the team together, we are talking about a team here that at the moment is taking beltings by 10 or more goals each week.............Roos will not come in and suddenly next season we have 40000 members and making finals.......posters need to realise that...........unrealistic expectations......happens to both coaches and players on this board

Out of footy in the sense of directly coaching, but he has headed up the Swans development academy since he left coaching is my understanding. But correct in that getting a team the way he wants it would be a few years, and the structure of the footy dept won't be a magic fix in a couple of weeks.

Whatever we pay Roos we will get our money back and then some from memberships alone, not to mention the crowds we will pull if/when we start winning under him

No we won't. There'll still be some that won't commit until we look like playing finals. That's how it always happens. But I think we could break our membership record IF Roos came on board and IF we sign one or two big names over summer. We all know it's about renewing the faith. At the top of 2010 we were heading in the right direction, but some still didn't sign on because we weren't quite ready to make finals.

Incidentally, I remember a game in I think it was '04, the game where Ashley Sampi took that hanger on the 'G. We had 36,000 attend that game. 5,000 may have been Eagles, a little more perhaps. We were up and about during those years. We didn't have the "members", but we had the support. We were playing finals consistently. I think we could hit 40,000-42,000 members if we get to that level again. I think it's a little fanciful to suggest we'd smash 40,000 next year though. The MFC and AFL propaganda machines can worker wonders though.

I thought I read somewhere that all the coaches with the exception of Neil Craig come out of contract at the end of the year anyway...

Whoever comes in will have the license to pretty much chose their coaching panel. Neeld got that (with the exception of Royal who was contracted to the club)

I heard Jon Ralph report this on Fox Footy's post game show a few weeks ago.

Out of footy in the sense of directly coaching, but he has headed up the Swans development academy since he left coaching is my understanding. But correct in that getting a team the way he wants it would be a few years, and the structure of the footy dept won't be a magic fix in a couple of weeks.

Let's not forget he was coaching the Easts Bulldogs under 16s in 2011 people!

• Like 1

I think the fact now that PJ is in place, DM stepped down and more board members to follow, are main reasons why these coaches are now considering it. The AFL have stepped in, so they know they'll have their support as well.

Excellent point.

I was referring more to the pressure that would inevitably come if he accepted the position, in the couple of years he has been out, the reporting of everything to do with footy has gone up another couple of notches, he would need to get used to the 24hr scrutiny that is now part and parcel of the job. I think this is one of the things he will be weighing up in any decision, does he or his family want another crack at it, this on top of rebuilding a club from the ground up again

A club's decline can be sudden (eg 1965) or slow and heartbreaking (the last 15 years) - a turnaround may take years or it may be quicker than we expect.

The events and changes of the past week have been lightning fast and the repercussions will be far-reaching.

I'm hoping the renaissance of the club will be likewise.

• Like 1

Any coach is only to have influence on those beneath him.

What PJ might infer to him ( PR ) is the calibre and ilk of the new board. That might be not only prudent but essential to entice R'oos !

Your missing my point. Roos has a wide knowledge of football & may have an opinion for example on who is the best footy operations manager available as well as some recommendations of the type of board structure he has worked under in the past. The only way he will come to the club is if the MFC prove to him we have a functioning admin & board. Giving Roos his desired footy department is a given. So if there are negotiations in place as GNF has stated, why not ask the question of what structure he needs above him to consider the position?

Make sure you note down that date and time of that statement WYL, if you are correct I will buy you a drink, if not you can buy me one

I hope the bet is live in a few months time.

My gut feel tells neither one of you will have to pay up.

• Like 1

Those were the words of Paul Roos.

All I am saying is I wouldn't rule him out if he's prepared to talk. You have, each to their own.

Roos was not going to say he's interested in the Coaches role at the MFC while Neeld was still in charge.

Neeld gets the sack and Roos opens up a little.

The beauty about Paul Roos is that he's not contracted at another club in any coaching capacity. In theory, he could be announced as the senior coach well before the seasons over with Craig remaining as interim until the end of the H&A season. He could begin to immerse himself in the club and become familiar with the list without directly making any decisions. Imagine the excitement a scenario like that would offer? The borderline members/supporters will come back in droves.

On the other hand, you have Clarkson, Eade and Williams tied up with teams that will most likely play deep into September so any external noise about coaching the MFC could be detrimental unless they are released immediately to start before the seasons over which is highly unlikely.

Im almost convinced that this is all part of the charade that will see Roos at the Dees for 2014.

• Like 3

The money gets him to the table to listen. the pitch from the club should be what gets him interested... after that it's up to him.

I don't think Foxtel would have him on 1mil a year (possibly over 5 years) as some people are reporting...

A lot of people commenting that Roos didn't build the list and Eade did.. but Roos coached them for a few years after Eade left. Also, and this I think is more important, Roos is the one along with the players to get the 'bloods' culture to what it is today. Our club needs this cultural buy in more than anything...

Question is do we have the players at our club that can instil a similar culture that Maxfield, Kirk and the others were able to do, these aren't the most gifted players, but they dragged the club along to great things!

Grimes, Trenners, Jones, Dawes, Clark, Frawley, Garland, TMac, Evans, Kent, Howe, Jetta, MJones, Terlich, Clisby, Hogan...

I think we have a good starting point

• Like 1

Roos was not going to say he's interested in the Coaches role at the MFC while Neeld was still in charge.

Neeld gets the sack and Roos opens up a little.

The beauty about Paul Roos is that he's not contracted at another club in any coaching capacity. In theory, he could be announced as the senior coach well before the seasons over with Craig remaining as interim until the end of the H&A season. He could begin to immerse himself in the club and become familiar with the list without directly making any decisions. Imagine the excitement a scenario like that would offer? The borderline members/supporters will come back in droves.

On the other hand, you have Clarkson, Eade and Williams tied up with teams that will most likely play deep into September so any external noise about coaching the MFC could be detrimental unless they are released immediately to start before the seasons over which is highly unlikely.

Im almost convinced that this is all part of the charade that will see Roos at the Dees for 2014.

He is a media commentator, he has been watching the list for the last two years, he knows exactly where it is at

There will be a few on here who will get excited just with the thought of Roos' coaching, the rest of us will want to see action first, he is a very good coach, but when he took over at Sydney, it wasn't exactly in the same place at MFC is now, he had been an assistant, Eade had just lost the players.

I wouldn't mind Roos as coach, but I am not thinking he is the Messiah

Roos was never going to say thy he is interested the Melbourne job whilst neeld was still coach.

Everything changes now that the market is open.

The Melbourne coaching role has to be the best opportunity going around.

All the upside and no downside. You can't do worse than bottom of the ladder.

What about what huddo has said in that he thinks if roos coaches it would be Brisbane?

I hope this is not true but that would be our luck.

He is a media commentator, he has been watching the list for the last two years, he knows exactly where it is at

There will be a few on here who will get excited just with the thought of Roos' coaching, the rest of us will want to see action first, he is a very good coach, but when he took over at Sydney, it wasn't exactly in the same place at MFC is now, he had been an assistant, Eade had just lost the players.

I wouldn't mind Roos as coach, but I am not thinking he is the Messiah

Saying Roos knows exactly where the list is at is a bit rich. As you pointed out, he's a media commentator and they only view things on the surface. He knows it's ordinary, but as far as player development and leadership credentials goes he'd be in the dark.

He delivered the Swans their first flag in 72 years and left the place in tremendous shape for Longmire to build on and capitalise on further.

He's the closest thing to a messiah the MFC has right now and is the number 1 priority in my opinion.

crazy talk

Season 2006, Round 6 Friday Night: An injurey riddled Melbourne defeat Geelong by 3 points.

Round 8 Friday Night: Melbourne smash Hawthorn by 75 points.

Geelong win the premiership in 2007 & Hawthorn win it it 2008 with Melbourne finishing bottom 4 in 07 and last in 08.

Things can change very quickly!

• Like 2

Couple that with the new hope Hogan in the seniors, new leadership, a few new kids to pin our hopes on and hopefully the recruitment of a good experienced midfielder or two and hope can be sold and thus memberships:) Keeping the faith in season two and later on in season one re attendance might be a bit more difficult if results don't go our way, but hopefully people don't expect us to be a top eight side straight away, as I can't see happening.

• Like 1

Things can change very quickly!

Not to mention the Gold Coast: 0-14 in 2012, but in 2013 they've played a month of footy where they've been level/in front of Hawthorn and Geelong in the third quarter, in the game against Essendon until halfway into the third, and defeated North, a finalist from last year.

This of course does not mean Melbourne will do anything of note in 2014. But it also goes to show that hope is not unfounded entirely.

Not to mention the Gold Coast: 0-14 in 2012, but in 2013 they've played a month of footy where they've been level/in front of Hawthorn and Geelong in the third quarter, in the game against Essendon until halfway into the third, and defeated North, a finalist from last year.

This of course does not mean Melbourne will do anything of note in 2014. But it also goes to show that hope is not unfounded entirely.

There is a major difference

The lists!

There is a major difference

The lists!

Yes, thank you OD. I also didn't know they had Ablett. Geez, now we're no chance!

If you read my post again, you'll see I said it doesn't mean anything is certain for Melbourne next year. We're not going to be playing finals next year. What GC has shown, though, is that you can have a terrible year (they were awful last year, really really awful) but turn it around in the next year. If we improve 50%, or 75% of what GC did this year, from where we are now that's a great start.