• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neeld is not the problem

Dr. Mubutu

I am not sure who have their heads further in the sand.

1) ALP Caucus members blindly following Julia Gillard off the political cliff to what will be the greatest landslide in Australian political history. Thus risking their own livelihoods and the future health of the once great Labor Party.

or

2) Melbourne Football Club members and board blindly supporting the worst coach in the history of the game over the preverbal football cliff. Thus risking the very existence of the club they love. The once great Melbourne Football Club.

Its mind boggling stuff.

On the current path, both seem to be caught in the headlights. Both will end up in slaughter.

Its too late for Gillard and the ALP, nothing can save them. However, the MFC can still be saved.............. time is quickly running out.

Edited by Grand New Flag
  • Like 1

1) ALP Caucus members blindly following Julia Gillard off the political cliff to what will be the greatest landslide in Australian political history. Thus risking their own livelihoods and the future health of the once great Labor Party.

or

2) Melbourne Football Club members and board blindly supporting the worst coach in the history of the game over the preverbal football cliff. Thus risking the very existence of the club they love. The once great Melbourne Football Club.

Its mind boggling stuff.

On the current path, both seem to be caught in the headlights. Both will end up in slaughter.

Its too late for Gillard and the ALP, nothing can save them. However, the MFC can still be saved.............. time is quickly running out.

or

Its mind boggling stuff.

or

Its mind boggling stuff.

or

Its mind boggling stuff.

definately number 1

we do see whats going on, we just dont kick heads before all the information is in gnf

i dont think by reading this forum that our members have thier heads in the sand, but thanks for your good thoughts about my fellow dees

• Like 1

or

Its mind boggling stuff.

GNF - Peter Jackson has just committed to our club as CEO until the end of 2014. Why cant you trust that our new CEO will make the right decision on the future of our coach? What makes you feel so compelled to push for Neelds removal at every opportunity? If Neeld is as negative an influence as you say then why hasnt he been removed already? Would you prefer that Demonlander's blindly follow your call for revolution based on your claims that players will leave etc?

• Like 1

GNF - Peter Jackson has just committed to our club as CEO until the end of 2014. Why cant you trust that our new CEO will make the right decision on the future of our coach? What makes you feel so compelled to push for Neelds removal at every opportunity? If Neeld is as negative an influence as you say then why hasnt he been removed already? Would you prefer that Demonlander's blindly follow your call for revolution based on your claims that players will leave etc?

Neeld kept his job because of the fininacial side of the argument, simple as that, no coach gets flogged like he does every week and keeps his job, the club can't afford to cut him lose.
  • Like 2

The thing about Jackson saying that he couldn't even tell if Neeld could coach yet because of the mess that is the football department is pretty interesting. It seems to me that the overall football department (not necessarily individuals) could be more to blame than Neeld himself. Hopefully the restructure will give Jackson a chance to accurately evaluate Neeld and then make a decision on his future by the end of the year.

• Like 1

The thing about Jackson saying that he couldn't even tell if Neeld could coach yet because of the mess that is the football department is pretty interesting. It seems to me that the overall football department (not necessarily individuals) could be more to blame than Neeld himself. Hopefully the restructure will give Jackson a chance to accurately evaluate Neeld and then make a decision on his future by the end of the year.

Exactly Django

We need to fix the club internally before we will ever be a successful club. Errors of past administrations and the past FD still haunt the club today. No one especially the media give any breathing room to Neeld who's almost been asked to do the impossible - fix the club and perform all within 18 months.

You don't see this pressure on St K or Bulldogs and they are arguably in the same boat with better lists

I accept people are upset with our short term performance (I am as well) but big picture stuff - if we ever want to promote elite standards and change the club they need to back Neeld & Craig & Mission or bring someone else in NOW to do it and back them in all the way.

That's why I find the Neeld decision so confusing - I'm pretty sure we all accept Neeld was told to come in shake things up and bring the standards of Collingwood to the FD, recruiting etc etc Then the board give him an 18 months ultimatum. If the board are serious about change it's clear Neeld needs more time. If short term performance was the priority why wasn't that communicated with us (the supporters) and Neeld?

The board has dropped the ball big time...... again. Thankfully for Jackson as I fear for what the might do next....

Edited by Unleash Hell

I was at the forum hosted last week with Mark Neeld and Neil Craig and Nathan Jones taking questions from the crowd. The question was asked of Mark Neeld, what would you do differently if you could have your time over?? The answer was an emphatic "nothing". He went on to explain and elaborate further that he had been brought in to do a job, that he knew it was going to be tough and that he was up for the fight. That job, as he said, was not to have won fifteen games of football by now, if it had been then there's a lot of things he would have done differently, but that's not the task he was given, it was to basically take the place back to scratch and instill in the FD a certain level of professionalism that has been missing until now.

The job might not have been to win 15 games, but at the same time the job didn't entail coaching a team that performs so badly that it is being compared by many (in terms of current performance) to Fitzroy.

For Neeld to not admit that he would do at least one thing differently is laughable. Humans make mistakes yet here we have a rookie senior coach who is infallible. My only question is does he really think he hasn't made a mistake or is he just in self-preservation mode?

Unleash Hell - there is a flaw in your argument that the board made a decision and now they need to stick to it. If they subsequently discover that the decision was the wrong one then they need to act on it. It would be catastrophic to not act because you want to stick to the long term plan. I accept that you can't just chop and change all the time but if a time comes when it is clear you have made a mistake or the wrong decision, then you should act on it.

Stability is important, but bad stability is a potential disaster.

• Like 4

Absolutely agree Django. Id also like to add that the media can GAGF.

The job might not have been to win 15 games, but at the same time the job didn't entail coaching a team that performs so badly that it is being compared by many (in terms of current performance) to Fitzroy.

For Neeld to not admit that he would do at least one thing differently is laughable. Humans make mistakes yet here we have a rookie senior coach who is infallible. My only question is does he really think he hasn't made a mistake or is he just in self-preservation mode?

Unleash Hell - there is a flaw in your argument that the board made a decision and now they need to stick to it. If they subsequently discover that the decision was the wrong one then they need to act on it. It would be catastrophic to not act because you want to stick to the long term plan. I accept that you can't just chop and change all the time but if a time comes when it is clear you have made a mistake or the wrong decision, then you should act on it.

I don’t think its laughable at all. He got a clear mandate to do a job and he’s doing it. I’m sure he wishes it was different, I’m sure he goes home after every game wishing that they had won, but he accepts that’s not where they are yet.

I think that the point he is trying to get across is that he has made the decisions he has made with that mandate in mind. He’s been accused of using a scatter gun approach and not making the “right” calls on any number of things, but he has done those things with his goals and his job/mandate in mind.

• Like 1

Basically I agree that action should be taken if the 'long term plan' is clearly not working but the fact is time enough hasn't passed to be able to tell. The end of this season will make everything clear I think and then Jackson should act - removing Neeld may be required but if done too soon we could be in even deeper [censored].

I understand your point, you believe that the performance of the club right now is an indication of the of the development and capability of Neeld as a coach. You want performance now.

What I am trying to say is you are overly harsh with your judgement because the reality is that the MFC list is made up of very few leaders with experience (Dunn, Sylvia, Dawes, Clark, Davey, Byrnes, Rodan, Frawley, jamar, Garland etc). These players don't play in the side all at one time, these players are not players who can carry the load of a developing team. A lot of people on here argue that ONLY one of these blokes if not 2 are only good enough to be in the team now.

Our team that takes the field is made up of blokes who have played 0 - 40 games (I reckon a good 8 - 10 each week have less then 40 games of AFL), you don't want to accept that mistakes from prior administrations are carried forward on to the field in 2013 as well - failed draft picks - poor development and poor standards (Players who don't perform at AFL level consistently). We are a team of kids and you expect competitiveness week in week out against the best sides in the comp from a bunch of kids and blame Neeld solely for the un-competitiveness .

How can you reliably judge Neeld performance as a coach based on a developmental team over 18 months? its nonsense

People need to accept changes were made because ELITE performance was demanded by the board. Step 1 - find out who is committed, Step 2 - train them up Step 3 - education and gain experience at AFL level - this change doesn't happen overnight., and it doesn't happen in 12 months like people seem to expect

It takes time, that why I believe strongly the club is continuing to make serious errors in judgment by folding to the media pressure who only want to fracture the club more. The board demanded HIGH performance at the appointment of Neeld and expecting it to be delivered in 12 - 18 months when it could be argued the list wasn't up for it (how far behind the comp was the list when he started??? They don't catch up over one pre-season). Coupled with the history of this under performing club for decades and you want to argue it should have taken 12 months?

The basic question is - What do you want more? Development of a committed list or short cuts to be competitive and remain a medicore club? the is a reason we are bottom 3 in VIC as a club - it's decades of crap expectations and NO ONE committed to demand and see ELITE performance delivered

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 4

Neeld kept his job because of the fininacial side of the argument, simple as that, no coach gets flogged like he does every week and keeps his job, the club can't afford to cut him lose.

I suppose Guy McKenna just got lucky with GC

It's a never ending argument on here but it all stems back to the rebuild - too many young, inexperience players brought in (quite a few of whom were not the players hoped to be), senior players and leaders axed when they should have been held on to and a severe lack of these thanks to the generation gap caused by the Daniher years.

It has been coming for a long, long time and of course we could be in a better position now if we didn't tank and took a more rounded approach to recruiting under Bailey, by bringing in more mature players but the fact is Neeld can only work with what he has and it isn't much at all. I'm not saying he is a good coach because there has been no evidence to show that he is even capable yet but he is trying to address these issues as best he can. Judgement should be reserved for just a little longer while the club itself is sort out.

• Like 2

Spot on Django - it all goes back to the question of the rebuild

If the board approved the rebuild then what they are doing to Neeld now is wrong

If they didn't hen Neeld should be fired

What is this undecided crap? The Board are as much at fault as Neeld if not more, afterall the majority of them are responsible for the Bailey era

(Don't know exact details I must admit that

Edited by Unleash Hell

Yep, you're right 2 games. But the point remains, why was he dropped?

This official line was lack of pace.

I wonder if the fact that he played only 75% of game time in both those matches had something to do with it?

I understand your point, you believe that the performance of the club right now is an indication of the of the development and capability of Neeld as a coach. You want performance now.

How can you reliably judge Neeld performance as a coach based on a developmental team over 18 months? its nonsense

People need to accept changes were made because ELITE performance was demanded by the board. Step 1 - find out who is committed, Step 2 - train them up Step 3 - education and gain experience at AFL level - this change doesn't happen overnight., and it doesn't happen in 12 months like people seem to expect

The board demanded HIGH performance at the appointment of Neeld and expecting it to be delivered in 12 - 18 months when it could be argued the list wasn't up for it (how far behind the comp was the list when he started??? They don't catch up over one pre-season).

No one is expecting high performance to be delivered in 18 months. I never expected us to be a good side this year and I would have been very happy if Neeld showed that the side had improved from last year, even slightly. I would have even been okay if we were performing at the same level as last year.

But we are currently far, far worse than last year. We have regressed under Neeld's watch. We have become less competitive and easier to beat. We are losing by more and playing worse footy. We are performing so far below expectation (even the most conservative of expectations) that it is a joke.

To sit there and say 'high performance takes time and therefore anything that happens in the first 18 months or whatever is irrelevant' is just completely failing to comprehend the situation.

There is no justification for how bad we've become under Neeld...and yes I am factoring in club politics, poor leadership, inexperienced players, an history of poor recruiting and development, etc.

As I said before my expectations this year were extremely low and we've still fallen so far short of these expectations.

Let me ask you a question...if Mark Neeld was currently out of contract would you sign him up for the next few years or would you look elsewhere for another coach?

I wish I had so much certainty about things I don't have actual firm information on as the above and similar posts. Yes the financial cost may be a factor, but it may not, or it may not be the dominant factor. I'm happy to read speculations, but why do so many people word their speculations as if they were written on tablets of stone handed down on Mt Sinai.

No one is expecting high performance to be delivered in 18 months. I never expected us to be a good side this year and I would have been very happy if Neeld showed that the side had improved from last year, even slightly. I would have even been okay if we were performing at the same level as last year.

But we are currently far, far worse than last year. We have regressed under Neeld's watch. We have become less competitive and easier to beat. We are losing by more and playing worse footy. We are performing so far below expectation (even the most conservative of expectations) that it is a joke.

To sit there and say 'high performance takes time and therefore anything that happens in the first 18 months or whatever is irrelevant' is just completely failing to comprehend the situation.

We are pretty much exactly the same win loss pace s last year... We still have the same problems as last year - low fitness base, low experience, low leadership and low effort levels on field...

And we've moved on players who don't want to 'buy in' - which was more experience out the door.... You say your expecations are low but do you even look in to our situation?

Apart from Port (who spiked very early in the season),and Gold Coast who have we lost to that you would say is a far less superior side? I honestly think you over rate our list (I will look it up soon as i am going to be forced to prove my point) and the team we field each week they contain around 8 - 10 blokes under 40 games. We are on par with GC and GWS..... my expectations are in check

Out of the ten sides we've played this year the majority (IMO GWS are the only team on our level) are far better and have more experience across the field. I am bloody serious have a look at the sides they're all more experienced and the teams who have flogged us are very good sides, better then us that's for sure

Coupled with the off field issues which compound our problems you should come to a conclusion that we are in REBUILD mode - something the likes of Hawks, Cats, Pies, GC etc have all had the luxury of doing.... I have no doubt Neeld didn't expect us to be so poor - just read this forum no one did.

Please look deeper in to the circumstances currently surrounding the MFC before giving me your expectations and telling me I should live by them. You haven't given any thought to the really of the difficulty the MFC faces and that we have to rebuild - there are no short cuts

Let me ask you a question...if Mark Neeld was currently out of contract would you sign him up for the next few years or would you look elsewhere for another coach?

This is actually hard for me to answer - you'll find it hard to believe but I do agree that his on field performance is not encouraging

But I am willing to give Neeld to the end of the season - which is the least the club should do

Edited by Unleash Hell

I understand the importance of performance and getting wins now Scoop - everyone dose it's obvious we are a bottom 3 VIC club

Our club has been severely damaged by the Bailey era and Tanking etc - the admin has [censored] up since 2007 and we continue to pay for it now. The board don't stand united and show no strength and the media's pass time is to hammer us

I won't compromise my beliefs because the media put pressure on us - I don't want the club to take short cuts for quick fixes which will see the club to remain lingering down the bottom (like the Tigers) - they took at least 4 years under dimma, and he refused to take short cuts

Even you Scoop admit in your answers the whole MFC needs fixing - we need good people and people who know success and we need to back them in to make the changes - not back out half way though

Neeld, Craig & Mission all come from successful clubs who have won premiership or continually compete for them - because you don't like the direction Neeld and co have taken doesn't mean they don't know how to produce success. I believe they know how to get the job done and it will take time. Changes don't happen overnight (see above if you need clarification)

I won't sacrifice my beliefs to bow to the media or anyone else

Edited by Unleash Hell

There is no justification for how bad we've become under Neeld...and yes I am factoring in club politics, poor leadership, inexperienced players, an history of poor recruiting and development, etc.

As I said before my expectations this year were extremely low and we've still fallen so far short of these expectations.

I'm a bit surprised at your expectations, Scoop! I had us 17th. Some thought I was optimistic! We haven't had the opportunity to address our midfield (well we have with Viney and Toumpas, but not for this yr), and we lost Moloney, Rivers, etc... Trengove no pre-season, same with Grimes. Clark coming back from shocking injury. I thought we would be worse, and not sure what the case the other way was.

That's why I agree that if Neeld genuinely thought we would be better this year, he is deluded. I think the best we can hope is that in he second half of the year we lose the right way, with a clear vision and buy in. Not sure it will happen.

I'm sorry Iv'a it's well documented that Moloney dropped his bundle - from inside and outside the club sources. That is not leadership. Rivers contrary to belief left to pursue success in what little time he has left of his career

That's the debate I guess in a nut shell. What standards do we want at the MFC - elite hard working or one way traffic?

Neeld was told to bring in ELITE performance to this club as a requirement - players who refused to take it on (Moloney) or weren't good enough (Cook etc) were told to pack their bags or decided to pack their bags

Regardless if you support Neeld or not - Are we as a club willing to make the tough calls to bring in ELITE standards or do we accept being mediocre?? If bring elite standards means a full re-build do you accept it?

I support Neeld & Craig demanding elite performance and moving on those who choose not to take on the challenge. Others won't and you don't have to... Neeld was brought in to do this and it would be hypocritical now of the board to fire him for bringing in changes they demanded.

I note you do not address the point about portraying the MFC's current situation as unique. I can assure you, Rivers did not want to leave the Dees. In terms of pursuing success at Geelong, that was the only consolation he took out of the move. He loved the MFC and his mates. You can condemn Moloney as much as you like, but right now, we are bereft of leadership on the field. In my view, the players brought in to fill the leadership void, post Moloney, simply do not cut it.

Finally, you don't command an elite performance, if you rip the guts out of a "team". If that is what you want, then you do it incrementally.

Like I say, no other club, in recent history, has gone as low is we are right now. The damage that causes in the market, may see us in total free fall, before Neeld's so-called "elite" plan kicks in.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

Finally, you don't command an elite performance, if you rip the guts out of a "team". If that is what you want, then you do it incrementally.

I disagree with this statement because I don't think the "guts" of the team were ripped out. I'm not sure which players you have in mind, but the one player I wish we retained for another season was Green, however I've read little to suggest that he was against what was happening under Neeld. Rather, he seemed to support it in his media interviews once he retired where he stated that "players needed to get on board and not rely on just skill to get a game".

I think you demand elite performance from the outset, but you expect to see gradual improvements towards that elite performance goal over time. It is always better to have a consistent message, rather than shifting the goal posts each year.

Edited by pm24

I disagree with this statement because I don't think the "guts" of the team were ripped out. I'm not sure which players you have in mind, but the one player I wish we retained for another season was Green, however I've read little to suggest that he was against what was happening under Neeld. Rather, he seemed to support it in his media interviews once he retired where he stated that "players needed to get on board and not rely on just skill to get a game".

I think you demand elite performance from the outset, but you expect to see gradual improvements towards that elite performance goal over time. It is always better to have a consistent message, rather than shifting the goal posts each year.

You up for the coach's job?

Choko and Unleash Hell:

The whole point of my comments is that my expectations were in fact very low this year.

My main expectation was that the team would perform no worse than at or around the level we did last year. I did expect improvement, as would be expected of a coach in his second year, but in no way shape or form did I expect a high level of improvement or that we would suddenly jump up the ladder. I knew we were a bottom end club and I expected us to finish there.

If we were to show just slight improvement on last year, I would be a happy supporter this year. That really was my expectation and I think you can agree that that is a pretty low expectation heading into a new season.

But the fact is we are significantly worse this year than last year. We have gone backwards under Neeld. We are defending far worse than last year and are easier to beat. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect slight improvement in your game style and the way you defend after a full season and another pre-season under a coach.

Last year we conceded 106.4 points on average a game. This year it has risen to 133.3. We are losing by a greater margin on average and our performances have been far less competitive than last year.

Unleash Hell – do you seriously expect me to buy your argument that because we were also 1-9 at this stage last year, we are at the same level? It's not just about wins and losses, it's about how you perform week to week. I've been to every game in Melbourne this year and I also went to the game at the Gabba and my impression from watching us is that we are playing worse footy this year than last year. And I'd be pretty confident that most supporters would agree that we've gone backwards in 2013.

I know where we're at and understand our list deficiencies. That's why my expectations were so low this year. But under Neeld in 2013 we have failed miserably to even meet these low expectations. We have managed to go completely backwards from an extremely low base.

It is frightening how accepting some of our supporters are of what has been dished up this year.

• Like 11