McLardy, Schwab and Co must go

Muvver Jones

Now it's revealed in the Hun we're set for a $1M loss this year. Gee lucky Schwab's a great administrator and great at the financial side of things or he'd be in a heckuva lot of trouble. I guess he can always put his hand out to the supporters for more donations and then give them the cold shoulder when it doesn't suit. Fancy having to mix with the rank and file, how are they going to help him climb the ladder?

The comments from McLardy in this article are equally disgraceful;

"Maybe the issue is the football department and the talent on our playing list and we are just not getting them to perform," he said.

Does he even understand that his comments put a further wedge between the admin and the footy dept? This is a CLUB we are all in it together start taking some bloody responsibility and stop deflecting.

I'm also worried with the composition of the board, not one footy person on there. McLardy says "And people suggest we should get someone from the AFL to come in and tell us how to run our business." Ah, Don, it's not a business, it's a footy club. Maybe that's a major part of your problem problem right there.

This bunch are wildly incompetent and really have to go before they do irreparable damage to the club.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/melbournes-massive-losses-and-tank-fine-go-straight-to-the-clubs-bottom-line/story-fndv8pdq-1226615247188

How's McLardy passing the buck to the footy department???

Unbelievable. Disgraceful.

And they wonder why we sit at the foot of the ladder with a % of 28.

No off-field leaders. Incompetent administration.

• Like 2

Do any of you revolutionaries ever ask yourselves why Caro wants CS sacked? Do you think it's because she has the interests of the MFC at heart? I'm reluctant to join her parade because she has been lose with the truth and she has bagged our Club and our reputation beyond my tolerance!

Caro wants everyone sacked but this time she is not a lone voice. It is the right thing to do.

• Like 2

The so called "Moneyball" recruiting looks like a terrible strategy...

I agree with a great deal of your post mate, but I really don't think they are following a "Moneyball" strategy here. I think it is more to do with turning over senior players, but at the same time trying to keep a reasonable experience mix. We probably aren't a great landing spot at the moment so our choices are probably limited, unless we overpay or have connections to current coaches. As to the reasons as to why we are having to and or choosing to churn players.... Edited by Strafford

Do any of you revolutionaries ever ask yourselves why Caro wants CS sacked? Do you think it's because she has the interests of the MFC at heart? I'm reluctant to join her parade because she has been lose with the truth and she has bagged our Club and our reputation beyond my tolerance!

I don't care about what Caro wants all I care about is what is best for the club. Schwab is a divisive figure and a failure only good at PR and spin. I've given him a chance, but his time is up. He's been there several years now and the club is worse off than when he got there albeit with a wiped out debt thanks to Jimmy and our Foundation Heroes. He has to go and he will go now the tipping point has been reached. It's now a matter of when not if.

• Like 1

I posted the below in the Don McLardy letter thread:

I agree with Don that now's not the time for knee jerk reactions.

However if things don't start to seriously improve by the mid season bye I'd be all for a board spill and the removal of Schwab.

Don Argus, Guy Jalland, Neil Mitchell or Greg Wells in as President.

Adrian Anderson, Eugen Arocca or Tony Dodemaide in as CEO, as much as I'd love Cook, I can't see him leaving Geelong.

Then at seasons end a decision can be made on Neeld, having said that unless we could land one of Paul Roos, Alaistair Clarkson, John Worsfold, Brett Ratten or Brett Lovett as coach then I'd be happy enough for Neeld to see out his 3 years. Also would love Ling to come on board as midfield coach.

Is this a board position though? If so I stand corrected however he was not mentioned by McLardy in the article. Even so that is only 1 and still represents a dearth of "footy people" on the board.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2012-02-01/former-captain-greg-healy-joins-board

Yes it is an official position. He has been on the board over a year now.

Not that I like to agree with Caro, but if I hear one more comment about how well we train, I will ..................................

What is now self-evident is that there is a massive disconnection/disengagement between players and off field administration, both Football Department and the Executive. We are told that we have to stay the course, that we are not sure exactly where the problem/s lie and we have to stick together. Nothing - yet - definitive has been stated by the Club.

My only view is this. If you do not have the ability to identify the problem/s and draft a plan to combat the issues, then get out and let someone who does have a clue have a go. I am not talking about sackings, but some simply need to fall on their own swords, if they are unable to come up with anything that remotely is a strategic contingency plan.

The lack of answers or solutions from the Club is just as worrying as the problems themselves. Admit the failings, speak out positively and show the paying members that you have a workable contingency plan.

Don, playing a dead bat on a green top wicket is not the solution. Sorry for the cricket analogy, but I am sure you would not allow your own business to run like this, should your brand become so severely tarnished.

• Like 4

Just heard on SEN Schwab just got a sleeve tattoo. Are they joking or what?

Wonder if he managed to get the right size one?

Edited by old dee

Surely throwing admin and Board into the same boat is not helpful.

The fact is, I don't see a massive groundswell of people putting their hands up to take on the presidency and Board positions at this club. So it's all very well to say the Board should go, but competent and credible alternative volunteers would be needed. In fact not volunteers, every Board members dips into his/her own pocket to support the club.

With Admin, the difference is I am confident that credible alternatives could fill paid admin positions - because there are people whose job it is to fill professional positions. That's not to say that I think it should happen, but at least it could happen.

You are entirely correct IMHO.

Two years ago, CS was being roundly criticised (no doubt lead by CW and her lonstanding agenda)for being too active in Football matters and not focussed enough on running the club.

Fast forward, the club has secured new sponsorships ( no mean feat given our woeful onfield performances over the past 5 years), is finacially stable and has a well credentialled board.

It is the football Dept which is the issue.Not the resources so much as the personnel. The recuiting strategy under Prendergast / Bailey has been demonstrated to be, at best, appalling. We are now paying the price. My guess too is that player development and relationship management under both coaches has been less than optimal.

As well, our recruiting this year just tops it off - without a doubt we were done over on every trade we did. And for what ? I'll take Martin, Maloney & Gysberts anytime over what we got in return. Let's hope the new guy from Collingwood can start to re-address what has been thus a far a disaster.

You are entirely correct IMHO.

Two years ago, CS was being roundly criticised (no doubt lead by CW and her lonstanding agenda)for being too active in Football matters and not focussed enough on running the club.

Fast forward, the club has secured new sponsorships ( no mean feat given our woeful onfield performances over the past 5 years), is finacially stable and has a well credentialled board.

It is the football Dept which is the issue.Not the resources so much as the personnel. The recuiting strategy under Prendergast / Bailey has been demonstrated to be, at best, appalling. We are now paying the price. My guess too is that player development and relationship management under both coaches has been less than optimal.

As well, our recruiting this year just tops it off - without a doubt we were done over on every trade we did. And for what ? I'll take Martin, Maloney & Gysberts anytime over what we got in return. Let's hope the new guy from Collingwood can start to re-address what has been thus a far a disaster.

And there is a well credentialled school of thought that claims CS was the main architect of the football department as we knew it then and now