Melbourne commencement dinner

dees189227

but isn't that the problem Chook

If you are not a fanatic then you lose interest after sustained pain.

six years is a long time to be in the bottom couple of teams with little evidence of improvement.

People stop to stop the pain.

You and I will probably go on because we find it impossible to stop.

We are in the minority Chook.

Ask any Richmond supporter how long they have been waiting. Freo were a joke for countless years. True supporters just don't give up. The club becomes part their DNA. At least we had some success in the '00s. The old adage - there is always next year.

• Like 2

Ask any Richmond supporter how long they have been waiting. Freo were a joke for countless years. True supporters just don't give up. The club becomes part their DNA. At least we had some success in the '00s. The old adage - there is always next year.

Not even Richmond have to say that for 48 years djr

I think the thing most die hards forget is the great majority of supporters are not die hards.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the updates WJ And Robbie, after moving to the Capital 18 months ago I find myself a little out of the loop now, it is good to hear and read things that are kept out of mainstream media.

As for Don's fickle supporter comments, I find it a little off putting, knowing that I have deliberately not renewed my membership this year - this is purely a financial decision, my first born is now 5 weeks old, I'm in the middle of renovating the house and the good wife is not working for another 6 months minimum. Unfortunately for the MFC my lifelong support is not going to be financial this particular year, as my financial priorities lie elsewhere at this particular moment. I already have a pang of guilt about it and will no doubt return to financial status next year, however should I be made to feel more guilty by the President saying he doesn't want fickle supporters? I am sure that a fair chunk of people struggle to put the money into memberships and it is not necessarily about not caring about the club

• Like 3

Many thanks for the updates WJ And Robbie, after moving to the Capital 18 months ago I find myself a little out of the loop now, it is good to hear and read things that are kept out of mainstream media.

As for Don's fickle supporter comments, I find it a little off putting, knowing that I have deliberately not renewed my membership this year - this is purely a financial decision, my first born is now 5 weeks old, I'm in the middle of renovating the house and the good wife is not working for another 6 months minimum. Unfortunately for the MFC my lifelong support is not going to be financial this particular year, as my financial priorities lie elsewhere at this particular moment. I already have a pang of guilt about it and will no doubt return to financial status next year, however should I be made to feel more guilty by the President saying he doesn't want fickle supporters? I am sure that a fair chunk of people struggle to put the money into memberships and it is not necessarily about not caring about the club

I'm certain that Don's comments would not have been directed to people in your circumstances jako. Remain loyal, and join up again next year, when you may need to be paid-up to get access finals tickets!

• Like 1

I don't think dons comments were directed at you mate. I think it's directed to the supporters who have dropped off not in membership but in support and interest. Watch them all flood back when hogan and viney tear the league a new ass hole.

• Like 2

Jako there are more important things in life than the MFC

Your family is top of the list mate.

At the end of the day it is just a game.

Enjoy from your television and join when the finances permit.

Don't stay off Demonland

We all luvs ya.

• Like 2

It is so refreshing to see the president and coach at the front line driving this club in the right direction by the scruff of the neck. Although we have seen no success in his first year of coach, what Mark Neeld is doing to this club of ours is truly remarkable. We're finally a united club, football department and board. I just love his no bullish!t attitude, i can now see why Mick Malthouse loved him. He is right its bloody exciting for the club. Bring on Sunday I'm expecting the boys to unleash hell!!

• Like 1

I don't think dons comments were directed at you mate. I think it's directed to the supporters who have dropped off not in membership but in support and interest. Watch them all flood back when hogan and viney tear the league a new ass hole.

CBFH, this does annoy my a bit. For the first time in my 30+ years of following the Dees, I lost interest last year. Similar to Jako, I had my first child arrive last year, and the year before that had personal events take place that knocked me for six. I used to be able to turn to the MFC for enjoyment - even if we lost. But last year, I just couldn't rely on it, and as a result, I found myself not locking myself in the man cave all weekend so I didn't miss a second of our game. I had other interests, and that helped improve my own life.

I had/have devoted my entire life to supporting the Dees, I copped crap growing up generally being the only kid that barracked for the Dees, and that has since spilled in to the workplace. There is no doubt that the day we win "that" flag, a massive majority of the people I've ever dealt with throughout my entire life will say to themselves "I bet billy2803 is stoked".

The interest is back for 2013, but it's not as strong as it used to be. Does that mean Don doesn't want my money? Does that mean I shouldn't sind the song after our wins this season? Does that mean I shouldn't celebrate if we were to fluke a finals appearance this year?

• Like 1

Saw a tweet I liked from someone going by the handle of "Lion Turf" (a Demonlander?):

Mark Neeld's full speech @ MFC Commencement Dinner should have been: "I
think the time for talk is over." And then leave the stage.

• Like 4

CBFH, this does annoy my a bit. For the first time in my 30+ years of following the Dees, I lost interest last year. Similar to Jako, I had my first child arrive last year, and the year before that had personal events take place that knocked me for six. I used to be able to turn to the MFC for enjoyment - even if we lost. But last year, I just couldn't rely on it, and as a result, I found myself not locking myself in the man cave all weekend so I didn't miss a second of our game. I had other interests, and that helped improve my own life.

I had/have devoted my entire life to supporting the Dees, I copped crap growing up generally being the only kid that barracked for the Dees, and that has since spilled in to the workplace. There is no doubt that the day we win "that" flag, a massive majority of the people I've ever dealt with throughout my entire life will say to themselves "I bet billy2803 is stoked".

The interest is back for 2013, but it's not as strong as it used to be. Does that mean Don doesn't want my money? Does that mean I shouldn't sind the song after our wins this season? Does that mean I shouldn't celebrate if we were to fluke a finals appearance this year?

Mate I'm not going to argue about personal situations that have happened to you causing less interest in the club. Life and family are everyone's first priority over footy. You say you still have interest which is great.

Like you I've had personal events over the last 12 months that have knocked me for six and it's forced me to re-prioratise my life, consequentially I've lost a lot of interest in football and whilst once I would have read every thing I could about the club I now read less than 50%.

I still support the club and still love the club but I have to do other things now and won't be at every game anymore, but I don't think Don McLardy is referring to me when he talks about fickle supporters, or you for that matter.

I was flat as a tack before I went to the commencement dinner and that did spark me up a bit but my enthusiasm is way down and I guess it's because other things are more important to me at the moment as they are for you. Both of us will get the spark back and a few wins will ensure that.

• Like 3

Like you I've had personal events over the last 12 months that have knocked me for six and it's forced me to re-prioratise my life, consequentially I've lost a lot of interest in football and whilst once I would have read every thing I could about the club I now read less than 50%.

I still support the club and still love the club but I have to do other things now and won't be at every game anymore, but I don't think Don McLardy is referring to me when he talks about fickle supporters, or you for that matter.

I was flat as a tack before I went to the commencement dinner and that did spark me up a bit but my enthusiasm is way down and I guess it's because other things are more important to me at the moment as they are for you. Both of us will get the spark back and a few wins will ensure that.

I hope things are going OK Rob.....

• Like 1

RobbieF I am worried I think you are reading my mind.

Covered the way I feel perfectly.

Hope the Polynesians treated you well

Saw a tweet I liked from someone going by the handle of "Lion Turf" (a Demonlander?):

Mark Neeld's full speech @ MFC Commencement Dinner should have been: "I

think the time for talk is over." And then leave the stage.

I would argue that the time for shallow gestures and stunts like that is over. Sure, we have to put it out on the field, but hard to see that making or not making a speech impacts that in any way.

No need to feel guilty. As others have said, stay here on Demonland, and join up again when you can. Don's comments were aimed at those who can renew, but lose interest until we start winning.

WE WON A FINAL IN 2006!!!!!!!!!!

We have had a lean 6 years but we are not the perennial losers that is portrayed in the media. We don't need our supporters capitulating to that crap as well.

• Like 1

We have had a lean 6 years but we are not the perennial losers that is portrayed in the media. We don't need our supporters capitulating to that crap as well.

Jnr 2006 is a life time ago in most people's minds and forever in the media mind.

Unless we fire up in 2013 that will be seven long years in the bottom quarter of the competition.

The MFC has been a poor team for the majority of the last 48 years with the exception of a couple of blibs.

Not much for 48 years.

I think you are attempting to put spin on fairly poor performance over nearly half a century.

IMO we have been perennial losers way more often than the reverse.

Lets forget about the glorys of half a century ago and get on with winning games.

That is what will make us a power again

we won a final in 2006 & then completely fell apart as we had many times before in the previous 4 decades.

Other clubs go on to win Grand Finals.

Sadly we are the perennial losers & i hope Neeld and his coaches are the ones to stop the Garbage.

• Like 2

I've never shared the view that we as a club, or indeed any other club, doesn't want the "fickle" supporters. I would have thought most clubs would want all the members it can get regardless of how many consecutive years that member signs up, or how many matches she attends. Seems bizarre to be saying "pfft, keep your money, horrible fickle supporter!", especially when we're hardly rolling in cash.

• Like 2

I've never shared the view that we as a club, or indeed any other club, doesn't want the "fickle" supporters. I would have thought most clubs would want all the members it can get regardless of how many consecutive years that member signs up, or how many matches she attends. Seems bizarre to be saying "pfft, keep your money, horrible fickle supporter!", especially when we're hardly rolling in cash.

You have my vote Nasher

A number of people have commented on positive things from Mclarty's speech last week.

I have read parts of it on the MFC site and a couple of things worry me.

It said "McLardy was adamant the club did not want fickle supporters who chose to support

the Demons only in good times".

I am sure we want anyone who buys a membership. of course there will be people who lose interest after five nears at the bottom.

But why give them a reason to not join.

I think some may have taken McLardy out of context, as I think He is saying, they're frustrated with some who have bombarded the club & board with threats.

they would want all supporters, & respect us, that have stuck with the club as supporters & as members, over the decades..

If I was wavering my response would be " oh the MFC don't need me confirms what I was thinking"

I cannot see any reason to say that, no upside in my view.

I agree, that all supporters need to feel wanted & respected, & need to be treated well. better than @ the recent NAB cup game.

The MFC is not a charity like The Fred Hollows Foundation.

He also said "dismissed as just making up the numbers"

The people saying this are right we have been and in 2012 we were irrelevant.

Again not sure why you would say that.

rebuilding the List isn't making up the numbers, so spending some time at the bottom end is done by most teams at some stage. Pies, Hawks, Blues, Saints, Tigers, Cats, Dogs, Eagles, Port, nearly all...

rebuilding is ineveitable, but the Gap between VFL, U-18's draftees, to the current AFL is changing things & mature age players are coming back into frame.

I think some may have taken McLardy out of context, as I think He is saying, they're frustrated with some who have bombarded the club & board with threats.

they would want all supporters, & respect us, that have stuck with the club as supporters & as members, over the decades..

I agree, that all supporters need to feel wanted & respected, & need to be treated well. better than @ the recent NAB cup game.

The MFC is not a charity like The Fred Hollows Foundation.

rebuilding the List isn't making up the numbers, so spending some time at the bottom end is done by most teams at some stage. Pies, Hawks, Blues, Saints, Tigers, Cats, Dogs, Eagles, Port, nearly all...

rebuilding is ineveitable, but the Gap between VFL, U-18's draftees, to the current AFL is changing things & mature age players are coming back into frame.

I agree with what you say above Dee-luded.

But IMO he did not come across well.

I understand he is probably very Frustrated with our continued bumping alone the bottom.

I don't understand your comment about the Nab cup Game?

I just feel that that's something of a misreading of Don's remarks. His comments were directed at members who don't renew, and he was encouraging people to stay the course, pointing out that not renewing memberships only harms the club. I'm not sure how we get to "I would have thought most clubs would want all the members it can get". when the article on the MFC site re his speech leads with:

"PRESIDENT Don McLardy has made a passionate plea for those who bleed red and blue to show their true colours and sign up as a member for 2013."