Dees shopping for another Sponsor

beelzebub

I doubt very much that the ad was free or even discounted as part of the sponsorship arrangement between club and newspaper.

And I suspect the sponsorship doesn't have anything to do with Herald Sun signage at the 'G either - there's plenty of that already.

Would seem like classic sponsorship contra to me.

Let's look at our recent history with sponsors:

2009: Went into NAB Cup without any sponsors, Kaspersky and Hankook come to the aid at the last minute, both through supporters of the cub.

2011: Kaspersky and Hankook both don't extend their sponsorships. Reports they were poorly treated by the club (not confirmed, but we never heard anything to say otherwise, Kaspersky then sponsor Collingwood).

2011: Melbourne sign lucrative deal with EnergyWatch.

2012: EnergyWatch deal is ended by the club. Whilst no one could have foreseen the fallout from the CEO's Facebook page, the fact that the ACCC were investigating them and that such a small company was managing to sponsor three major sporting teams and spend thousands of dollars on advertising was a massive alarm bell (for me at least).

2012: Again, the club going into the season without sponsors. Webjet and Opel come to the party, the value of their sponsorship isn't announced (unlike when the EnergyWatch deal was announced).

2013: Melbourne going into the season with a shorts sponsor.

The ad in the Herald Sun isn't for a major sponsor, and I understand that selling Melbourne isn't the easiest of jobs. But let's be honest, our recent history with sponsors hasn't been great, in particular going into seasons without sponsors.

• Like 1

2009: Went into NAB Cup without any sponsors, Kaspersky and Hankook come to the aid at the last minute, both through supporters of the cub.

2011: Kaspersky and Hankook both don't extend their sponsorships. Reports they were poorly treated by the club (not confirmed, but we never heard anything to say otherwise, Kaspersky then sponsor Collingwood).

2012: EnergyWatch deal is ended by the club. Whilst no one could have foreseen the fallout from the CEO's Facebook page, the fact that the ACCC were investigating them and that such a small company was managing to sponsor three major sporting teams and spend thousands of dollars on advertising was a massive alarm bell (for me at least).

2012: Again, the club going into the season without sponsors. Webjet and Opel come to the party, the value of their sponsorship isn't announced (unlike when the EnergyWatch deal was announced).

The ad in the Herald Sun isn't for a major sponsor, and I understand that selling Melbourne isn't the easiest of jobs. But let's be honest, our recent history with sponsors hasn't been great, in particular going into seasons without sponsors.

Dont forget coach day sponors.

Webjet and Opel are on both on the jumper aren't they? I don't want to ruin your witch hunt with facts or anything, but have a look at this, you'll see there's more than just a "shorts sponsor":

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/the-club/sponsors

So you mean to tell me that from the period where we totally sucked and were accused of deliberately losing games we found it hard to get sponsors? What a total shock. It's not like any other teams have changed sponsors in the last 4 years.....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawthorn-hawks/hawks-search-for-new-sponsor-as-hsbc-opts-for-rugby-golf-focus-20120523-1z5iu.html

Also, Essendon have had 3 different major sponsors in the last 4 seasons too, and I'm sure there's more proof, but geez the Hawks and Bombers are reasonably successful clubs you would have thought...

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

Webjet and Opel are on both on the jumper aren't they? I don't want to ruin your witch hunt with facts or anything, but have a look at this, you'll see there's more than just a "shorts sponsor":

So you mean to tell me that from the period where we totally sucked and were accused of deliberately losing games we found it hard to get sponsors? What a total shock. It's not like any other teams have changed sponsors in the last 4 years.....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawthorn-hawks/hawks-search-for-new-sponsor-as-hsbc-opts-for-rugby-golf-focus-20120523-1z5iu.html

Also, Essendon have had 3 different major sponsors in the last 4 seasons too, and I'm sure there's more proof, but geez the Hawks and Bombers are reasonably successful clubs you would have thought...

Did you even read what I wrote?

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yes. Did you?

I replied directly to what you wrote and gave you some context on what the sponsorship market is actually like.

Geez some 'Landers get so hissy when you actually bring facts into the argument....

Where did I say Opel and Webjet aren't jumper sponsors? I merely pointed out that they were very much last minute deals and their value has never been promoted by the club.

What do you mean by "more than just a shorts sponsor"? I was pointing out we currently don't have one.

I noted that it is not easy to sell Melbourne (you either ignored or did not read that), however we have been poor at maintaining sponsor relationships and we tend to leave things very late.

Where did I say Opel and Webjet aren't jumper sponsors? I merely pointed out that they were very much last minute deals and their value has never been promoted by the club.

What do you mean by "more than just a shorts sponsor"? I was pointing out we currently don't have one.

I noted that it is not easy to sell Melbourne (you either ignored or did not read that), however we have been poor at maintaining sponsor relationships and we tend to leave things very late.

You said: "2013: Melbourne going into the season with a shorts sponsor"

So was it a spelling mistake and you meant "without" then?

If you read my posts you would see the point is EVERY team changes sponsors, and often, we notice it more cos we follow MFC, but it's pretty common, so let's stop the Schwab hunt.

I will happily admit to not liking his appointment. However I was happy to be proved wrong. Problem is I haven't been. Our club needs a better CEO, I'm sure you would agree with that. He was given the job because he was linked to the old boys network. They then had us dragged through the tanking [censored]. Do not forget Schwab had a large hand in how that was handlled. Have you ever thought that maybe its his continued errors that now leave us scratching around on Page 70 of the herald sun for sponsors

I've said before and I'll say it again : sponsors are hard to find - especially in this economy- because we haven't won a flag for 50 years - not because our present CEO is not performing!!

Your argument simply does not wash.

Leave it Roost it, you're just going round in circles, banging on about whatever it is you're banging on about. There's no story here, move along.

A neat summary : very good advice

I was planning on using them next week!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. I went with them last year with my car. Got a real good deal. Just got a quote from them a couple of days ago for my wife's car. While they came in a few bucks cheaper than our current insurer (Richmond's sponsor, Bingle!), Bingle will give me an extra $2000 in agreed value, which aint to be sneezed at on a 10 year old car! So, think I'll be sticking with Bingel...

LOL. I went with them last year with my car. Got a real good deal. Just got a quote from them a couple of days ago for my wife's car. While they came in a few bucks cheaper than our current insurer (Richmond's sponsor, Bingle!), Bingle will give me an extra $2000 in agreed value, which aint to be sneezed at on a 10 year old car! So, think I'll be sticking with Bingel...

The quote I got was a bit under my Budget premium from last year that had been raised.

I was planning to do another quote next week before changing.

I will wait a few days they might be replaced by someone else!

The quote I got was a bit under my Budget premium from last year that had been raised.

Surely you've heard of APIA Old Dee.

Custom built to fleece pensioners.

Fair enough. Pays to shop around. Is amazing the variance between the various insurers!

Budget Old Dee; I'm in the industry just be careful.

Do you have a 40 foot barge pole?

Budget Old Dee; I'm in the industry just be careful.

Do you have a 40 foot barge pole?

No a Falcon RobbieF had a claim on previous car three years ago and no problems all went well.

Who would you suggest?

Edited by old dee