Will Neale Daniher ever coach again?

ashdemons22

no Stuie. You are not addressing the Rollercoaster years.

What other club has ever had that effect from 1997-2007??? It was atrocious and your bizzare logic will not sway me one iota.

As for Moloney and respect...They are not spoken in the same sentence. I hope the club never speak to him again.

He should refund last years wage and repay the members.

Just watch him play well for the Bears.

Then you may understand.

If getting to a Grand Final is "accepting mediocrity" but winning 4 games for the season isn't, then I think I'll "accept mediocrity"....

Look, I have high hopes for Neeld, but to praise him so highly at this early stage while bagging out a coach who got us to finals and a GF, albeit every second year, is just plain dumb.

I agree stuie. I also am a bit tired of all this selective memory with history and bagging previous players/ coaches etc. its all so predictable. Im stoked Moloney is no longer in the side as i believe it was time for him to move on. He wasnt the greates player the sides had and was very disappointing at times but to say he never did anything good is just not correct. He played some good games and he played some bad games.. Im also a fan of Neelds but that doesnt mean ill refuse to accept what other coaches have done in the past.

• Like 1

If getting to a Grand Final is "accepting mediocrity" but winning 4 games for the season isn't, then I think I'll "accept mediocrity"....

Look, I have high hopes for Neeld, but to praise him so highly at this early stage while bagging out a coach who got us to finals and a GF, albeit every second year, is just plain dumb.

when have a lauded Neeld. He is in his second year. Year 1 the club was in absolute turmoil for reasons we all know.

I will begin to assess Neeld at the end of this year.

ND had 10 years. Great bloke. Average coach who could not instill consistency. The talent was there between 98-2002.

The GF was over at the 10 minute mark. I became depressed and surly. I was there.

If that to you is a highlight Stuie your standards are not high enough.

I will say that the pre game in 2000 was quite surreal because we were there, but i was quickly kicked in the guts, as i and all of the older 'landers were bitterly in '87 & '88.

But Northey i rate far higher as we made finals 5 years in a row and in that time never had a killer CHF which in the 80's & 90's was a staple necessity.

• Like 1

Get your hand out of Neeld's pants mate.

Daniher took us to finals and a Grand Final. As much as we all like Neeld, he's yet to prove if he's a good coach or not.

Ridiculous post.

HaHaHa, your fantasies are questionable stuie.

I never met or spoken to Neeld, let alone shake his hand.

You can dream on if you think Daniher was ever going to get us all the way. With the culture we had under Danihers & Balmes reign, we were almost good enough on the list but fell flat on our faces in the heat of battle. seems you have a love affair with whoever promises you the world but leaves you with a frown.

So I would kindly suggest that its you, with the phalanges gripping your very own Don smallgoods.

Daniher took us to 6 finals series in 9 years with a list that was never going to win a premiership. We simply never had enough A grade players when he coached us. He did about as well as any good coach could have done. He wasn't a 'great' coach but not many are.

For some reason, in our sport, not many sacked coaches get a 2nd chance. The game has changed a lot since Neale coached but he is still involved at a high level - good on him for that.

I thank him for his time at the club and even though we never won the ultimate prize under him, we still had 6 winning seasons.

That's gotta be better than any of the last 6 years.

• Like 5

Daniher took us to 6 finals series in 9 years with a list that was never going to win a premiership. We simply never had enough A grade players when he coached us. He did about as well as any good coach could have done. He wasn't a 'great' coach but not many are.

For some reason, in our sport, not many sacked coaches get a 2nd chance. The game has changed a lot since Neale coached but he is still involved at a high level - good on him for that.

I thank him for his time at the club and even though we never won the ultimate prize under him, we still had 6 winning seasons.

Take note Deeluded and WYL. This is what I and most others are saying. Show some respect and cut the BS.

Take note Deeluded and WYL. This is what I and most others are saying. Show some respect and cut the BS.

But we didn't have 6 winning seasons. We ALWAYS Lost the unlosable games.

Remember those 2 Carlton losses in one season when they were rubbish??

Round 18 2004....Top of the ladder. DO NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME FOR THE YEAR.

Knocked out in week one.

A good coach would not allow this.

• Like 1

Knocked out in week one.

So by that logic.....There is only one good coach each year????

The rest are crap......Are you really say that ??????

I really liked Danners and I think he did a great job with the facilities and money that he had .......

• Like 2

Knocked out in week one.

You have also look at the years when we lost 17/18 games in a season.(4 of the last 6 years) A winning season is when you win more games than you lose. We fell away in 2004 because we weren't good enough.

Let's have a look at the Lions midfield during Neale's tenure ... Akermanis, Voss, Lappin, Black and Power. We were nowhere near them in terms of talent. They also had a goal to goal line of Michael, Leppitsch, Voss, Brown and Lynch.

Our list during Daniher's time had a mixture of a few top liners, some good players and a number of honest triers.

other clubs aren't silly they see where coaches a re weak & their strengths.

No other clubs were allover Daniher or Balme after they has done their darnedest with us because they weren't quite right.

Some people are just in love with anyone who had a senior onfield role with our club.

The truth is, neither of these coaches were sought out for a head coach role at other clubs, even with the expansion clubs.

No other clubs were allover Daniher or Balme after they has done their darnedest with us because they weren't quite right.

Some people are just in love with anyone who had a senior onfield role with our club.

The truth is, neither of these coaches were sought out for a head coach role at other clubs, even with the expansion clubs.

Haha not sought after? You mean Balme who worked as a major part of putting together Geelong's flags and Daniher who has been part of turning West Coast around?

The ACTUAL truth is, you guys just want to bag anyone out who isn't Neeld, despite the differing ratios of success thus far.

Don't get it... Neither have coached again??

Both in demand at other clubs footy departments, But NOT as a head coach.

Just as NDaniher has been, isd in others footy dept, but not smart enough as a head coach.

Its a rare breed who Win the big games on an ongoing & regular basis.

Nearly all our coaches over the last 50 years haven't cut it. save for a couple.

the idea is to leave the joint in better shape than what you tookover. not run it into the ditch.

Both in demand at other clubs footy departments, But NOT as a head coach.

Just as NDaniher has been, isd in others footy dept, but not smart enough as a head coach.

Its a rare breed who Win the big games on an ongoing & regular basis.

Nearly all our coaches over the last 50 years haven't cut it. save for a couple.

the idea is to leave the joint in better shape than what you tookover. not run it into the ditch.

You're not talking sense. Why would you leave if you were leaving when the team was hitting it's peak? Just cos you're a good bloke and you're making the next guy look good?

You know, we turned Sheedy down, geez he must be a terrible coach if a club as lowly as us didn't want to hire him. Guess all those flags must have been because of the previous coach hey?

Most sacked coaches in our sport never get another gig. In other sports around the world it's different. I'm not convinced that Harvey, Choco, Ratten or Eade can't coach now. But they all got dumped and that probably spells the end for all 4 of them.

Can't say I was ever 'enamored' with Neale, dl. By that I mean that I thought he was a good coach and was happy for the club to keep him as the coach (back then) He did about as well as he could have done under the circumstances. We've seen a lot worse than Neale.

Edited by Macca

Daniher and Cameron re-built the list in the late 90's, finding 10 players who would go on to play 100 games or more. But unfortunately, that feat could not be repeated.

We were good enough to play finals in 6 out of 9 years and in 2006 we were the best side in Victoria. (You would all have to admit the future seemed pretty rosy when you saw Mclean demolish St. Kilda in that elimination final).

2007 was ravaged by an unprecedented number of injuries. It accelerated the decline of many older players and exposed just how shallow the list was.

Be it a failure of recruitment or player development, there were too few ready to take over from the side Daniher had built 8 years earlier. We’ve paid for it.

Very true. When you also consider the lack of resources he had at his disposal compared to the big clubs, he did a mighty job. Credit where it is due - we have only played in 2 Grand Finals in almost 50 years & ND got us to one of them. We're nowhere near that at present.
  • Like 2

Most sacked coaches in our sport never get another gig. In other sports around the world it's different. I'm not convinced that Harvey, Choco, Ratten or Eade can't coach now. But they all got dumped and that probably spells the end for all 4 of them.

Can't say I was ever 'enamored' with Neale, dl. By that I mean that I thought he was a good coach and was happy for the club to keep him as the coach (back then) He did about as well as he could have done under the circumstances. We've seen a lot worse than Neale.

They all can coach, but just not good enough at the top level.

tried, tested, & rejected.... its just that we are sucked in by niceness first.

and the result is a soft playing style, soft training, undisciplined & soft footy acts onfield.

we've done it over & over again, for 40 odd years out of 50 something.

We were on the right track with Barass, but would have been better with a development type coach first, then had Barass come in after with his hard edge.

Danners & Balme were both nice guys, loved by all of us, but not the right choices.

...and here we are again, rejigging the club.

....... we are, in the old vernacular, soft touches.

They all can coach, but just not good enough at the top level.

tried, tested, & rejected.... its just that we are sucked in by niceness first.

and the result is a soft playing style, soft training, undisciplined & soft footy acts onfield.

we've done it over & over again, for 40 odd years out of 50 something.

We were on the right track with Barass, but would have been better with a development type coach first, then had Barass come in after with his hard edge.

Danners & Balme were both nice guys, loved by all of us, but not the right choices.

...and here we are again, rejigging the club.

....... we are, in the old vernacular, soft touches.

Haha... That "wrong choice" with the "soft touch" got us to a GF mate... FFS. It's the most simple logic.

So by that logic.....There is only one good coach each year????

The rest are crap......Are you really say that ??????

I really liked Danners and I think he did a great job with the facilities and money that he had .......

Yawn...is it that hard to work out?

One Word....ROLLERCOASTER. above Average year....Shite year....above average year....shite year...etc etc.

what other club went through such a schitzophrenic period than the MFC under ND?

We obviously had the talent there..Could ND harness it...No. Sadly he failed.

He is a top bloke but his 10 years of coaching represented lost opportunities of the highest order.

Those who disagree have never pushed through that pain barrier...

• Like 1

Yawn...is it that hard to work out?

One Word....ROLLERCOASTER. above Average year....Shite year....above average year....shite year...etc etc.

what other club went through such a schitzophrenic period than the MFC under ND?

We obviously had the talent there..Could ND harness it...No. Sadly he failed.

He is a top bloke but his 10 years of coaching represented lost opportunities of the highest order.

Those who disagree have never pushed through that pain barrier...

Mate, if you think we were "due" for a GF in 2000 because of our pure talent you're a fool.

Mate, if you think we were "due" for a GF in 2000 because of our pure talent you're a fool.

Yeah ... Luck was involved.

Hammill hurting his leg in the previous game for starters.

Edited by My TD
  • Like 1

Where did i say we were due for anything?

The Rollercoaster is a fact that you happily accept.

I find it a a disgraceful piece of history. Summed up beautifully in the 2nd & 3rd Q's of the Adelaide Final in 2002.

Brilliant but also shockingly flaky with a weak underbelly.

Only the ND coached MFC could lose a game in which we also played some of the best footy ever played.

Call me a fool if you wish Stuie. But i am right.

Edited by why you little
  • Like 1