Ultimate Footy 2013 - Norm Smith League

Range Rover

Does luck come into it? I could be last through poor drafting and then play the top 5 teams in the final five games. I've given my all but had a shizen team and kept dropping. Now I get pick 6 because others head an easier draw?

It rewards competitiveness.

Luck plays a part in all this. What if you get the top pick and he does his ACL two days later. This isn't a cure all, but it will keep people from sabotaging their teams and playing 'hard' throughout the season.

To turn your point around, is it fair that I play someone trying and then the next week when they have given up and don't care, or traded for a keeper, that team gets an easy win?

Luck is apart of sport. Giving up and desiring to lose shouldn't be.

My would reward a team that continues to fight out the year even if they lose.

Yeah, I think the caller rewarded the best performed teams once out of contention not so much the ones who keep losing, so that's where you differ. From memory the sides out of contention earlier were weighted in terms of reward somehow. It may have had something to do with %.

In the midst of a keeper rethink.

Big Sandi may be thrown aside into the Draft, given his recent injuries - his Toe drove me to tears last year and currently out with hs hammy. Tommy Rockliff will be getting a phone call to spearhead my midfield

In the midst of a keeper rethink.

Big Sandi may be thrown aside into the Draft, given his recent injuries - his Toe drove me to tears last year and currently out with hs hammy. Tommy Rockliff will be getting a phone call to spearhead my midfield

No way sandilands is definitely the player you want to keep! Rockliff is no good ;)

Please advise whom is the leader this year- seems that JA is going to lead again.Also please advise what are the seasons rules.Lastly how many players do we pick...Is it the 38 suggested or not.

It rewards competitiveness.

Luck plays a part in all this. What if you get the top pick and he does his ACL two days later. This isn't a cure all, but it will keep people from sabotaging their teams and playing 'hard' throughout the season.

To turn your point around, is it fair that I play someone trying and then the next week when they have given up and don't care, or traded for a keeper, that team gets an easy win?

Luck is apart of sport. Giving up and desiring to lose shouldn't be.

Please advise whom is the leader this year- seems that JA is going to lead again.Also please advise what are the seasons rules.Lastly how many players do we pick...Is it the 38 suggested or not.

You pick 20.

You starting 12 will consist of 3 backs, 3 forwards, 4 centres, 1 ruck, and 1 utility (any one of the 4 positions). With the usual emergencies of 1 of each of those. And then 3 in the 'reserves'.

You pick 20.

You starting 12 will consist of 3 backs, 3 forwards, 4 centres, 1 ruck, and 1 utility (any one of the 4 positions). With the usual emergencies of 1 of each of those. And then 3 in the 'reserves'.

Thanks

Okay. 6 sleeps 'til draft night. The excitement is building.

Can JA confirm that the draft will take place at 7pm on Monday the 18th March? Or has it been pushed back to 8pm?

Will it be one minute per pick? Or Two? I'm thinking two would be good.

Also, for some reason we are still seeing that problem with other team's players showing up on our 'draft results' list. Is this able to be fixed up?

Good luck Norm Smith League Coaches. You are the Elite of the Elite. May the Spirit of the Red Fox be with you.

Good call RR.

I won't be able to make it home until 9 unfortunately, but can't request a change as its simply impractical to get a time that works for all.

May luck be with me in the auto picks.

7.00pm Monday 18th March is locked in

1 minute between picks is what we did last year & that was a great draft, why would we want to potentially double the draft time?

Jack Attack has confirmed the error in the UF site with Keeper allocation will be corrected before draft day.

Just like you RR I am getting excited - 6 Sleeps you say? Bring it on!

7.00pm Monday 18th March is locked in

1 minute between picks is what we did last year & that was a great draft, why would we want to potentially double the draft time?

Jack Attack has confirmed the error in the UF site with Keeper allocation will be corrected before draft day.

Just like you RR I am getting excited - 6 Sleeps you say? Bring it on!

I don't know about anyone else, but after about round 2 I felt I needed more time to consider picks. Sometimes there are three or four options you have to weigh up and all you can do is see that clock winding down ... 45, 44, 43, 42 .... 8,7,6,5,4 ... panic can set in, and it did for me once or twice.

45 ... I don't mind starting the draft at 9pm for you but I guess you'd need a majority of others to agree, too.

7pm guys, we had weeks to get out of stuff.

And some leagues have 30 sec. One minute is enough. You will have plenty of time to think between picks, an extra 60 secs is just going to drag this out another hour.

yes, i will rely on the autopicks, or try and make a cheeky pick every time i can while i am at my meeting!

i got basketball off only to find i had a coaches meeting at 7:30 so il make my first few picks haha!

ah well thems the breaks

so keen

Gotta be brief, i'm in NZ on limited internet access.

I'll be back for the weekend, which is when I will set the keepers for good, so make sure you're up to date.

Draft time is set now so its a case of being unlucky if you need to autopick. Date and time are on the Ufooty site.

2 more sleeps until draft day.

Keepers are set and i fixed the problem of the mixed up order.

Draft is:

Monday March 18 at 7:00 PM (AEST)

Things to do before the draft:

Check your keepers and check your draft position is correct. There is no going back so if I have made a mistake you'll just have to suck it up.

If you want you can pre rank the players to assist in drafting, however I have never found it to be a worthwhile excercise myself.

The site controls the drafting process, if its like previous years you will need to be in front of a computer, and there is an opposrtunity to test your conenction/system a few hours before the draft, I suggest you do that so as to give yourself some time to make sure you're all good for the draft.

Remember we have moved to the RangeRover Weighted scoring system, so the player rankings will not reflect a player's true value as much as it used to.

Here are the score categories and their weights, this can be found on the site.

Kicks (KI) 3

Handballs (HB) 2

Marks (MA) 3

Free Kick Differential (FD) 1

Hitouts (HO) 2

Points Kicked (SCORE) 4

Tackles (TK) 3

Goal Kicking Accuracy (%) 1

Any complaints or concerns should be voiced now, before the draft.

Edited by JACKATTACK

Thanks JA.

And if there are any out there who do NOT want to do the Anti-Tanking scheme I devised - let me know below. If we get enough people who don't want it to happen I will not bother. We have some time before it 'kicks in' but I would like to get a decision soon so people are aware.

All looks good from team OMR's perspective.

* Keepers correct

* Draft order correct

Very different draft feel this season with 64 players already plucked from the tree.

Thanks JA for all your Pre-Draft leg work, its a tough gig & sincerly appreciatted.

Look forward to joining all fellow Norm Smith Ultimate Footy participants in the draft on Monday @ 7.00pm.

Edited by Old Man Rivers

2 more sleeps until draft day.

Keepers are set and i fixed the problem of the mixed up order.

Draft is:

Monday March 18 at 7:00 PM (AEST)

Things to do before the draft:

Check your keepers and check your draft position is correct. There is no going back so if I have made a mistake you'll just have to suck it up.

If you want you can pre rank the players to assist in drafting, however I have never found it to be a worthwhile excercise myself.

The site controls the drafting process, if its like previous years you will need to be in front of a computer, and there is an opposrtunity to test your conenction/system a few hours before the draft, I suggest you do that so as to give yourself some time to make sure you're all good for the draft.

Remember we have moved to the RangeRover Weighted scoring system, so the player rankings will not reflect a player's true value as much as it used to.

Here are the score categories and their weights, this can be found on the site.

Kicks (KI) 3

Handballs (HB) 2

Marks (MA) 3

Free Kick Differential (FD) 1

Hitouts (HO) 2

Points Kicked (SCORE) 4

Tackles (TK) 3

Goal Kicking Accuracy (%) 1

Any complaints or concerns should be voiced now, before the draft.

In my opinion having score at 4, I will predict will ruin this year. It's simply too much for a category that can be won by just one person. Even when Swan or Ablett has 40 there is 14 other players who have an effect on possessions and can even the ledger... If Buddy kicks 8, with 3 forwards in this years comp you just won't be able to match him and for me it will make for many a match where the winner will be undeserving looking at stats.

It's a day out from the draft so we'll all cop it for the year, but I'd like it reviewed for 2014. I had no issues with the 1,1,1,1,1 system it was fair for all so I think we got it wrong here.

Ps whoever has Buddy, congratulations!

In my opinion having score at 4, I will predict will ruin this year. It's simply too much for a category that can be won by just one person. Even when Swan or Ablett has 40 there is 14 other players who have an effect on possessions and can even the ledger... If Buddy kicks 8, with 3 forwards in this years comp you just won't be able to match him and for me it will make for many a match where the winner will be undeserving looking at stats.

It's a day out from the draft so we'll all cop it for the year, but I'd like it reviewed for 2014. I had no issues with the 1,1,1,1,1 system it was fair for all so I think we got it wrong here.

Ps whoever has Buddy, congratulations!

Having buddy as a keeper was helpful, worked good considering the keeper rules changed mid year haha!

I agree with you on the weighted pouts system, why should different categories be weighted higher than others, when it is more about how consistent your team, how can marks be more important than handballs and tackles aswell.

Fair enough if it is something like 2 for everything and 1 for fd, % and hit outs but other than that I feel everything should be equally valued

Having buddy as a keeper was helpful, worked good considering the keeper rules changed mid year haha!

I agree with you on the weighted pouts system, why should different categories be weighted higher than others, when it is more about how consistent your team, how can marks be more important than handballs and tackles aswell.

Fair enough if it is something like 2 for everything and 1 for fd, % and hit outs but other than that I feel everything should be equally valued

Yeah I agree, for example my keeper was Matthew Priddis who we all know excels at accumulating excessive hand balls but kicks and marks not a strong point. He was worth it for me because I thought he guaranteed me one point although hurting my chances at 2 points being kicks and marks. I also have Scully as a keeper under the same mould targeting the handballs. Now that category wins me 2 points but I'm sacrificing 6 points in marks and kicks. Why are they weighted better than my handballs?!

Ps any interest in trading Buddy there MM I offer you good price haha.

Edited by Demon Land 7

Keepers and order looks ok JA. Amazing that I was in finals contention last year with 2 rounds to play, yet finish 2nd bottom! Ugh! And I wasn't even tanking. Yuk.

Feeling a little unprepared re: any injuries etc. I can't have a repeat of the pre-order LeCras draft mistake from last year. Hoping the page refreshes tonight like clockwork...

good luck all.