Caroline Wilson's descent into gutter journalism

titan_uranus

On this discussion of stripping us of pick 4 - I fail to see how that is an adequate penalty or punishment.

The offence was committed by the club in 2009 (if at all). That has no reflection whatsoever on our performance in 2012 (in fact it goes against it, in that, we didn't get pick 4 because we tanked, clearly, as if we'd successfully tanked, we'd be on top of the ladder now). To take a current pick off us causes us more harm than it does fix the issue.

Whilst a fine might not be the preferred option, it is more appropriate than taking pick 4 off us. A personal fine/suspension against any person who is still at the club and can be proved to be involved in taking would also be appropriate (e.g. Schwab, Connolly, McLardy).

However, I do not believe we tanked, so I don't think this will arise.

I had to laugh at this post TU.

You have put a lot of thought in to WTF could happen to us if we are guilty, but you sign off with a we didn't do it ending.

If you were that confident we didn't do it, why worry yourself with what might happen?! :)

Hate to say it but there would be many thinking if we just lost Pick 4, we'd be getting off lightly.

Just looked up what happened to Carlton in 2002, wasn't flash!

• $1M fine
  • Loss of draft picks No. 1, 2, 31 and 34 from the 2002 National Draft
  • Loss of all draft picks in the 2003 Preseason Draft
  • Loss of first and second round draft picks in the 2003 National Draft

Yeah Mark Stevens basically said the same thing as what Caro has written and there will be more in the H/Sun tomorrow. Face it we are going to cop some sort of punishment. But I still stress we cant be punished for the richmond game. If its deemed to be true then Dean Bailey should be banned form footy, Chris Connely should be sacked as well as Josh Mahoney and Schwab has to go as well.

But it seems the players wernt trying to lose. Unfortuantely the one person who could shed some more light on this is no longer with us. Anyway poor Neeld who was no where near the club will have to cop some form of punishment if the afl take draft picks away or worse. He shouldnt be punished.

Collingwood / Hawthorn / West Coast all took advantage of bottoming out.

Port, in the words of Mark Williams "put the queue in the rack"

Carlton are the godfathers of tanking and even made jokes about it.

Wallace admitted to not trying to win during a game at Richmond.

None of the journos want to go there. It's as if the harder they go on Melbourne the more innocent the other clubs are and they can serve theirs and the AFLs agenda of sweeping it under the carpet.

Wilson, Barrett and many more are the cogs.

I had to laugh at this post TU. You have put a lot of thought in to WTF could happen to us if we are guilty, but you sign off with a we didn't do it ending. If you were that confident we didn't do it, why worry yourself with what might happen?! :)

Unlike you, I don't close my mind to differing opinions, options, circumstances, or outcomes.

I personally don't believe that we tanked. But I might be wrong. If I am, and we did tank, then those were my opinions on what may/will/should happen.

Is that so hard to understand?

• Like 1

I had to laugh at this post TU.

You have put a lot of thought in to WTF could happen to us if we are guilty, but you sign off with a we didn't do it ending.

If you were that confident we didn't do it, why worry yourself with what might happen?! :)

who cares?

Heres my take...

IF our motivation to experiment, rest, etc etc was to lose games to better our draft choces then we tanked and deserve to be punished.

In my little world it's as simple as that.

No if's and buts. We cheated and deserve sanctions.

Very hard to prove, but if there was this meeting as reported and there was instruction to lose games then IMO we cheated.

who made you boss, or anyone for that matter as to what we see/saw as a priority at that time for the playing group.

Seems youre in that group that seem to think the goal IS to win every week regardless.

The goal is to win a premiership. its that simple. If experimentation and player development takes precedent in that objective then so be it.

Edison had a thousand failures for every success. Do we particularly remember the path to success : the failures, the learning, the development ??

No, we remember such things as the Phonograph, The incandescent light bulb, Film projectors, the parallel circuit,and a little company called GE

the relevance ?? Ultimate success is a consequence of being prepared to LOSE even if thats not the ultimate objective.

Is there some absolute regimen of how any club /team/ etc can or cant learn ?

Surely the sufficient punishment for losing is losing itself. Im sure Thomas didnt relish in stuffing up and I bet he didnt think he was. He was just educating himself and arming himself with better knowledge and resources .

Given the Authoritive body instructed and rewarded its constituents via a bizarre code of handouts then its surely incumbent upon them ( the AFL ) to wear the consequences of their actions.

We cant have cheated, we only followed the guidelines given.

On this discussion of stripping us of pick 4 - I fail to see how that is an adequate penalty or punishment.

The offence was committed by the club in 2009 (if at all). That has no reflection whatsoever on our performance in 2012 (in fact it goes against it, in that, we didn't get pick 4 because we tanked, clearly, as if we'd successfully tanked, we'd be on top of the ladder now). To take a current pick off us causes us more harm than it does fix the issue.

Yes, it's called a penalty.

• Like 4

To suggest we "cheated"is ludicrous. We were confronted by a system that was fundamentally flawed and the simple fact is, precedents, as far as so-called 'tanking' is concerned, had long been set.

If Carro's article has any veracity and the AFL place any kudos on evidence which can be best described as spurious, then Mr. Demetriou, et al, will need to be consistent and punish all those who went before us.

• Like 4

Has anyone else thought that perhaps it was a smart move to have already traded most our picks for players.

Could this have been a planned way to already get people signed up so they can't be taken off us.

If that was the case they would have traded pick 4 too.

• Like 1

Even Stynes' legacy demands such an action.

What a joke, he was around for the last time we had a stuff up like this - on the receiving end.

It's time you and others finally admitted that our club is being destroyed by a pack of unaccountable, incompetent, "boys club" mates and it has been this way since the Stynes board took over.

The only thing that separates us from the other clubs that have been tanking is our sheer ineptitude.

"The Vault" - that pretty much says it all doesn't it? Was the great privilege of running the MFC some kind of game to them?

And this is all coming from someone who still thinks tanking is a good idea (me, that is).

I imagine that you and others feel very similar to a lot of cycling fans at the minute.

Edited by Hazyshadeofgrinter
  • Like 1

Pretendergast and Dean Bailey can f&ck right off. How they got jobs anywhere after screaming failures they were at MFC is beyond me. And they're rats, too

Don't take #4 please. Make us not play for premiership points next year.

Development year anyway. And we'll finish last = pick 1. Poetic.

My poor old elder Brother thinks this might be the end for him. If the sanctions are harsh he'll lose all hope. To have a meeting with 10 club officials to outline a system of trying to lose is laughable. It was always going to come back to haunt us because people leave clubs all the time. Why the need to have so many involved ?

Brock McLean won't be welcome back at this club even when he's 80.

• Like 2

What a joke, he was around for the last time we had a stuff up like this - on the receiving end.

It's time you and others finally admitted that our club is being destroyed by a pack of unaccountable, incompetent, "boys club" mates and it has been this way since the Stynes board took over.

The only thing that separates us from the other clubs that have been tanking is our sheer ineptitude.

"The Vault" - that pretty much says it all doesn't it? Was the great privilege of running the MFC some kind of game to them?

And this is all coming from someone who still thinks tanking is a good idea.

I imagine that you and others feel very similar to a lot of cycling fans at the minute.

I agreed with the tanking, but certainly not the inept way it has been handled. Bailey put the club in it in his final press conference. And yes, there are drongos at the club.

Btw, fark off.

Edited by Ben-Hur

To have a meeting with 10 club officials to outline a system of trying to lose is laughable. It was always going to come back to haunt us because people leave clubs all the time. Why the need to have so many involved ?

Brock McLean won't be welcome back at this club even when he's 80.

I agreed with the tanking, but certainly not the inept way it has been handled. Bailey put the club in it in his final press conference. And yes, there are drongos at the club.

Btw, fark off.

So who handled it then huh?

You think Stynes' legacy demands that we take action? This fiasco is his legacy.

Why don't you take some of your own advice?