• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Best 22

tonatopia

It's pretty depressing we need to add "pick 4" into most of these teams.

I mean we don't even know who it will be, but most of us believe he will be better than what we've got.

Another long season ahead.

Not really.

Andrew Gaff played 17 games in his first year and in his second has had the 7th most kicks in the AFL (2012).

How did Toby Greene go in his debut year ?

If pick 4 isn't in our best 22, or at least getting plenty of games, we've stuffed up again.

AFL.com.au weighed in with their entry:

http://www.afl.com.a...69/default.aspx

With the exception of Colin Sylvia, this forward line didn't exist a couple of years ago. Amazing how it has been transformed.

If your definition of amazing is shameful then I agree.

We thought we had talents in Wonaeamirri and Jurrah but the move to Melbourne and a decent dose of bad luck (family tragedy in both cases) put pay to them. We spent pick 1 and pick 12 on Watts and Cook as mobile tall forward options for the future, one's a b grade half back flanker with some potential, the other is out the door. Other stop gaps like Dunn and Bate couldn't ever get anywhere near consistent enough.

It's not all negative though, I think Clark and Dawes are both very good value selections and I think what is effectively a straight swap of Pedersen in for Martin is a very good move as well. I also think we'll start to get some production out of Bail, Blease, Tapscott and Jetta over the next year or so as they have enough ability to produce consistently if they get their bodies right.

I'm pretty sure we'll have a forward line that could hold its own but the quality of the midfield just lets it down. As for the rest of the team I wish we could leave Grimes on a half back flank because then our young backline has a bit more strength to it. If Viney and pick 4 can actually take on good opponents (even if only playing spurts in the midfield) then Trengove, Jones, McKenzie and Sylvia might actually keep us in games and let Grimes play HBF. The afl.com.au lists Rodan as our sub but now that we've got him I really think if he could play consistently at near his best he could actually be one of our most important players next year. It's kind of sad that a port reject could become one of our top 3 midfielders.

Unlike most, I like the hardness of Joel MacDonald in the backline and I also feel either Pederson or Sellars has to cover for the loss of Rivers (who would of been in my top 22). I also feel that we have to have a contingency plan between Jamar, Spencer and Gawn so that we play two ruckmen each week. Also we should be grooming Fitzpatrick to step in for either Clark or Dawe should they be injured.

Backline: J.McDonald, Frawley, T. Macdonald

Half-Backline: Garland, Pederson/Sellars, Watts

Centreline: Grimes, Byrnes, Trengrove

Half-Forwardline: Howe, Fitzpatrick / Dawe, Silvia

Forwardline: Blease, Clark, Davey

Followers: Jamar / Gawn, Jones / McKenzie, Viney

Interchange: Spencer, Strauss / Nicholson, Dunn, Tapscott

Emergencies: D. Barry, Bail, Wines

Bit early for mine, but someone on afl.com.au has had a go.....pretty close I would have thought.

melbourne_v_portadelaide.jpg

Ed: link http://mm.afl.com.au...ortadelaide.jpg

I like the way that you are thinking here however I feel that CHF should be filled by Pederson or Sellars rather than have him clogging up the forward line. I would prefer to see Jack Watts on the HBF or back in his old position on the forward line where you placed Pederson. Clark and Dawe should be able to provide enough hardness on the forward line and we need some 'magic' that Jurrah or Aussie used to produce.

Unlike most, I like the hardness of Joel MacDonald in the backline and I also feel either Pederson or Sellars has to cover for the loss of Rivers (who would of been in my top 22). I also feel that we have to have a contingency plan between Jamar, Spencer and Gawn so that we play two ruckmen each week. Also we should be grooming Fitzpatrick to step in for either Clark or Dawe should they be injured.

Backline: J.McDonald, Frawley, T. Macdonald

Half-Forwardline: Howe, Fitzpatrick / Dawe, Silvia

Forwardline: Blease, Clark, Davey

Interchange: Spencer, Strauss / Nicholson, Dunn, Tapscott

You have joel and tom's surnames wrong way around.

Just a minor rethink! I am uncertain about the on-ballers and medium size-players. With the key position players we have such a dearth that it will become obvious after the NAB Cup who to play and also whether Sellars has a role next year.

Backline: J.MacDonald, Frawley, T. McDonald

Half-Forwardline: Howe, Dawe, Silvia

Forwardline: Blease, Fitzpatrick / Dawe, Davey

Interchange: Spencer, Strauss / Nicholson, Tapscott Sub: Dunn

My best team would include both Magner and Fitzpatrick. I think that we need some grunt in the centre square and Magners performance in the 3km time trails signals he will go up a gear next season. Fitzgerald will play the ruck/forward role and is my pick for our most improved. Viney will start in the forward pocket with some midfield rotations. Peterson will be our swing man alternating forward or back depending on match ups. Pick 4 will need to earn games before getting a run in the seniors.

Backs: Garland, Frawley, T. McDonald

Half Back: Strauss, Watts, Nicholson

Centre: Grimes, Magner, Trengrove

Half Forward: Howe, Dawes, Silvia

Forward: Viney, Clark, Fitzpatrick

Followers Jamar, Jones, McKenzie

Interchange: Peterson, Blease, Byrnes

Sub Bail

Emergencies: Dunn, MacDonald, Tapscott, Rodan

OK, so 14 15 players gone from last year, 8 in so far, plus pick 4

BARTRAM NICHOLSON FRAWLEY GARLAND

WATTS McDONALD GRIMES

BLEASE McKENZIE TRENGOVE

BYRNES DAWES HOWE

PEDERSON CLARK RODAN

JAMAR SYLVIA JONES

JETTA DAVEY VINEY PICK 4

Depth:

Macdonald, Joel

Bail, Rohan

Nicholson, Daniel

Magner, James

Tapscott, Luke

Gillies, Tom

Sellar, James

Dunn, Lynden

Spencer, Jake

*EDITED FOR UPDATE*

Edited by Curry & Beer

Long time, first time here guys! The prospect of seeing this 22 playing next year has brought me out from behind the screen and onto the keyboard. Go Dee's!!

IMO this is our best 22.

FB Dunn Frawley Garland

HB Watts McDonald Nicholson

C Howe Grimes Trengove

HF Sylvia Clark Blease

FF Byrnes Dawes Pederson

FOLL Jamar Jones McKenzie

BENCH Tapscott Bail Magner SUB Rodan

• Like 1

OK, so 14 players gone from last year, 8 in so far, plus pick 4

BARTRAM FRAWLEY GARLAND

WATTS McDONALD GRIMES

BLEASE McKENZIE TRENGOVE

BYRNES DAWES HOWE

PEDERSON CLARK RODAN

JAMAR SYLVIA JONES

JETTA DAVEY VINEY PICK 4

Depth:

Macdonald, Joel

Bail, Rohan

Nicholson, Daniel

Magner, James

Tapscott, Luke

Gillies, Tom

Sellar, James

Dunn, Lynden

Spencer, Jake

I like that team very much, but I can't see how Davey and Jetta are in there ahead of Tapscott and Nicholson.

Long time, first time here guys! The prospect of seeing this 22 playing next year has brought me out from behind the screen and onto the keyboard. Go Dee's!!

IMO this is our best 22.

FB Dunn Frawley Garland

HB Watts McDonald Nicholson

C Howe Grimes Trengove

HF Sylvia Clark Blease

FF Byrnes Dawes Pederson

FOLL Jamar Jones McKenzie

BENCH Tapscott Bail Magner SUB Rodan

Hi Og Seed, any chance of our beloved JV getting a game?

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

I really like the look of our spine. On paper one of the best in the league. 2 big forwards and an AA FB.

Let's hope neeld can make this team gel

He will. But with anywhere up to 10 new faces in the starting 22, supporters shouldn't expect miracles to be performed in the first half of the season.

Until around round 11, we should be looking for incremental improvments, greater competitiveness for longer stretches in matches, maybe the odd unexpected win here or there.

From mid-year we should be seeing something like a settled side and some seriously good footy, along with a few scalps we have not had the pleasure of taking down for several years.

This is roughly what I'm hoping for in 2013.

I like that team very much, but I can't see how Davey and Jetta are in there ahead of Tapscott and Nicholson.

yep, they were the contentious 2, along with Joel Mac, Bail and Magner. I rate all 5 of those exclusions, although Bail, Nicho and Magner to me are just Godfreys. Plenty of heart and work ethic but huge deficiencies in class. Joel Mac I guess is similar, but I am a sucker for any player that hits bodies and the contest the way he does. For this reason I understand Tappy being in the side, I just haven't seen too many special efforts from him thus far. I went with Jetta because I really see something in the kid, like some special efforts he put in last year including that moment he ran back to spoil a much bigger opponent, knowing he would be poleaxed and managed to work the ball to a teammate (Clark?), creating a goal from absolutely nothing. Showed rare balls, awareness and class. I have to say though that I had huge hopes for his old teammate in JB, and boy did that not pan out. As for Davey, I refuse to believe he is finished. I'm backing him to return to form this year, probably in a role nobody expects. The fact that he is still there when 14 others have been shown the door says to me that Neeld has plans for him. I say this on the hope that we have a fully functional side where a player like Davey can play a role that suits him best (read: not being a no.1 focus that is tagged out of games as in previous years). In any case we all know that we will have about 5 players unavailable each week so all these players will get their chance. I am starting to get extremely excited to see what this new look side is going to do.

• Like 1