Rivers and Gysberts to Geelong?

Weedster

Stuie. I fully acknowledge your position torate a player however youso wish. I might suggest there are indeed a sizable number who would rate Rivers as better than servicable but not quite so highly as some here might have him.

If he goes, he goes and another will fill his shoes more than adequately I imagine.

Edited by belzebub59

I think some here are being "apologetic" MFC supporters and bracing themselves to lose a good player, that's the only explanation I have for some seeming to not care about losing a guy who's probably been our most consistent and underrated player. Did you notice a difference in our backline in the 2nd half of the year? Frawley struggled and had no rebound, Tommy Mc seemed a bit snowed under, Watts struggled, Joel Mac was probably our best backline player in the last 2 months. That all relates to Rivers. He's a supreme reader of the play, and great spoiler, really holds that back unit together.

Who will be the leader of the backilne if he goes? Chip needs to focus on his game for now, as does Watts and Tommy, Bartram may not even play again, Grimes is moving into the midfield, and the rest aren't really leaders as such. Make no mistake guys, Riv would be a HUGE loss to us in many ways.

Also, you guys seem to forget, we may not get anything for losing him. If we sign a free agent (high possibility) that the AFL judges to be of a similar level to what we've lost then we don't get any compensation.

We will cope, but it would be good if he stays.

My read is that it is up to him.

Loyalty or a chance for a flag.

See what happens.

We will cope, but it would be good if he stays.

My read is that it is up to him.

Loyalty or a chance for a flag.

See what happens.

We will cope, but we'll be better off if he stays. Hope he does purely for that reason. Wouldn't hold it against him if he went to someone like Geelong, but if he went to GC or GWS I'd be pretty disappointed.

A consideration regarding Rivers is this year he didnt play nearly so much down back and yet that probably wasntthe worst area on the ground for us. Our mids and our inability to convert from having little up the pointy end was the achilles heel for us.

Hes much more the defender and this is where the Kitties would play him. We probably got this part covered to a degree with emerging and established others.

We arent as desperate in this region as we are elsehwere on the ground. This may temper how the club goes in terms of negotiating.

I think we need to keep Gysberts for this year. Will a pre season and some improved body shape, he could be a key part of our developing midfield.

We have plenty of taller backman options, and Sheahan has come on nicely later in the year. Would be disappointed to see Rivers go, but we could cover.

Its his head ( JG ) by all accounts that needs working on not so much the body ( though that also)

He's not 'buying in'

If players cant be part of the team philosophy theres no point them being on the list.

We will cope, but we'll be better off if he stays. Hope he does purely for that reason. Wouldn't hold it against him if he went to someone like Geelong, but if he went to GC or GWS I'd be pretty disappointed.

If he went to GC or GWS he would go for big dollars we couldnt or wouldnt match - you would begrudge him why?

Its his head ( JG ) by all accounts that needs working on not so much the body ( though that also)

He's not 'buying in'

If players cant be part of the team philosophy theres no point them being on the list.

"By all accounts".... Maybe from the usual [censored] stirrers on Demonland. Funny how quickly rumor becomes gospel around here.

If he went to GC or GWS he would go for big dollars we couldnt or wouldnt match - you would begrudge him why?

I said I'd be disappointed. I'm sure in our current situation we could offer him good coin, as well as the chance to be a one club player, and he'd be in the same role as mentor to young players as he would at GC/GWS.

I am overseas at the moment and read online in the Herald Sun that Geelong are after Jared Rivers. Has anyone heard anything else or is it just speculation?

Thanks for keeping me informed - these boards are great when you are away from Melbourne. There is so much happening so I rely on Demonland for all the updates.

I am overseas at the moment and read online in the Herald Sun that Geelong are after Jared Rivers. Has anyone heard anything else or is it just speculation?

Thanks for keeping me informed - these boards are great when you are away from Melbourne. There is so much happening so I rely on Demonland for all the updates.

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31542-rivers-and-gysberts-to-geelong/

I'd be happy to trade gysberts if and only if we get a decent player in return. IMO draft picks should be out of the question we have enough of them we need players with afl pre seasons behind them Maybe Simon hogan?

Simon Hogan? No way, he'd be the worst kick on our list, which is saying something

If I were managing a club's list .... And if I had one or more FA/RFA qualified players who I thought were currently overpaid on my list .....I might just encourage them to shop around in the Agency market and see what they can attract - if they are truly overpaid, they will be offered less than they are currently getting .... and I would then be in a strong position the match the offer and effect a reduction in their pay.

Just saying this to add a hitherto missing element of conspiracy theory to this thread.

"By all accounts".... Maybe from the usual [censored] stirrers on Demonland. Funny how quickly rumor becomes gospel around here.

if he had bought in...hed have played a bit more. Its that simple

proof of pudding is Blease. Read between lines of Brads salutation upon leaving.. There are those that just dont get it and dont put in the work.

Neeld is not about to waste talent but he will punish those who dont toe the line.

Which category would you put JG in then ?

if he had bought in...hed have played a bit more. Its that simple

proof of pudding is Blease. Read between lines of Brads salutation upon leaving.. There are those that just dont get it and dont put in the work.

Neeld is not about to waste talent but he will punish those who dont toe the line.

Which category would you put JG in then ?

Ummm the category of a player injured 2-3 times and then playing catch up... Not everything is so controversial drama queen.

Injured all year was he Stuie ?

He was well able to vie for a position in the second half of the season.

Hell, my two dogs and cat could have had a crack we were that short of starters ( well actually the cats not that good tbh )

Point being it wasnt particularly hard to get a game had you been able and willing.

When Jordan did pull on a jumper he hardly troubled the statiticians. He had a touch of the "Moloney's"

We obviously rate players very differently.

Injured all year was he Stuie ?

He was well able to vie for a position in the second half of the season.

Hell, my two dogs and cat could have had a crack we were that short of starters ( well actually the cats not that good tbh )

Point being it wasnt particularly hard to get a game had you been able and willing.

When Jordan did pull on a jumper he hardly troubled the statiticians. He had a touch of the "Moloney's"

We obviously rate players very differently.

Where exactly did I say he was injured "all year"? Don't misquote to suit your agenda.

He was injured a couple of times and then was behind the 8 ball trying to catch up in terms of fitness and adapting to the new game plan. Simple.

Wasn't hard to get a game?! Tell that to Tom Couch who came 2nd in the Liston, or Fitzy who was given a token game in the last round...

When Jordan did pull on the jumper it was for one game and then dropped... Not really much of a chance in a vastly changed style of team to "trouble the statiticians".

You want to be seen as a wise poster yet you seem to know little of the actual facts.

Just because Neeld denies things dosn't mean they arn't true. At the current rate according to Neeld we arn't keen on anyone...

I have a feeling that all reported are in the radar, this is just Neeld little way at getting back at the media for all the crap they've given him and the MFC this year.

You could be right, I sure as hell hope we aren't going to play out our strategies in the papers. "we are really keen on Byrnes" doesn't seem like a good way to get Byrnes so I am happy if he keeps schtum.

The player managers have a lot to answer for as they often 'plant' stories that are favourable or helpful to their players. No surprise there. But so do Board Members and club officials as well. Misinformation I guess is a strategy.. Getting a club like Coll to pay overs for Travis is a smart idea.

Where exactly did I say he was injured "all year"? Don't misquote to suit your agenda.

He was injured a couple of times and then was behind the 8 ball trying to catch up in terms of fitness and adapting to the new game plan. Simple.

Wasn't hard to get a game?! Tell that to Tom Couch who came 2nd in the Liston, or Fitzy who was given a token game in the last round...

When Jordan did pull on the jumper it was for one game and then dropped... Not really much of a chance in a vastly changed style of team to "trouble the statiticians".

You want to be seen as a wise poster yet you seem to know little of the actual facts.

cut the crap mate...you cant have it both ways..

He was more than able to play latter inthe year. DId Neeld use him much ..NO..

By your own argument ( liike to see you wiggle out of that ) it wasnt that hard. if Couch wasnt afforded too many games. Nor Fitzy. Why? Because they arent good enough yet. Liston..oh yeah baby...that works in AFL. Any seasoned observer will acknowledge theres a chasm between the comps. Many a Liston winner hasnt lit up the AFL. ( separate subject )

There a lot of positions going begging in the 1sts for anyone halfway decent who could play at AFL level.

Everyone keeps raving about Gysberts. ( a two game screamer so far ) so either he has the abilty or he hasnt.. Youre of the ilk that suggest he is. So why didnt he play more than he did. ?

It wasnt injury thart kept him out it was attitude.

Quite simply Neeld would rather play someone who at least understands therole and will apply themselves in favour of someone who thinks they are already there and ought to be selected.

if Gysberts was as good as you suggest but being kept down then he ought to at least be setting the Scorps on fire. .

He didnt.

It wasnt injury thart kept him out it was attitude.

Sums up Demonland during the offseason. Everyone thinks they know everything about the inner workings of the club and will tell all and sundry all about it.

It's a take on the old line "you lie so much you believe yourself", except with 'Land it applies to all the rumor and innuendo that somehow becomes fact after a couple of pages on a thread.