Neale Daniher

Hannibal

Should coach Port Adelaide.

He got the most out of Melbourne's list, leading them to 6 finals in 10 years. And he's been at West Coast while they've once again been building. We all know he'd run his race at Melbourne and topped up for a flag that didn't work, but we also know that he can coach and has runs on the board. Port want an experienced coach and I can see him being a stabilising factor as they regroup. He'd be the perfect mentor as they move forward.

I haven't heard his name mentioned, but if they can't get a "name" coach I reckon he's got a lot to offer a young group. I was an advocate of him finishing up at Melbourne, but he's the right fit here.

Yes, I know it (probably) won't happen, but he should be considered. I wonder if he'll apply.

• Like 3

I like it. Tell Scotty Thompson that Danners has moved to Port and it may make him leave the Crows such is his hatred of our former coach. Living in the same city will be too much.

Trade them Moloney for Thomo.

How come he dislikes Daniher?

At what point did the list stop being primarily a product of past decisions (list changes completely outside Daniher's control) and become his list?

I always find it difficult to digest the argument that Daniher got the most out of an ordinary list. It makes it sound like he was totally removed from any decisions on cutting, retaining, recruiting and trading players.

I would argue that after 2002 the list was more or less his. From there, he had nearly 5 years to turn it into a serious Premiership contender. He didn't get close.

At what point did the list stop being primarily a product of past decisions (list changes completely outside Daniher's control) and become his list?

I always find it difficult to digest the argument that Daniher got the most out of an ordinary list. It makes it sound like he was totally removed from any decisions on cutting, retaining, recruiting and trading players.

I would argue that after 2002 the list was more or less his. From there, he had nearly 5 years to turn it into a serious Premiership contender. He didn't get close.

2004 25,252 7th 2005 24,220 8th 2006 24,698 5th

I'm no advocate of Daniher, but the the draft sanctions bit him on the arse at the time when we could have really set up to challenge in 05/06. Think about what a difference first round picks in 99/00 would have made 5 years later.

Take it a step further and swap Luke Molan for Dal Santo and Steve Armstrong and Aaron Rogers for Sam Mitchell and Leigh Montagna. Not only do you have 750 games instead of 40 (sob) you've put a big dint in the St Kilda midfield.

Footy is all about preparation and development. But every premiership team has had a bit of luck here and there along the way. Daniher was a poor tactician after 2000, but you could argue that he never had those little bits of luck required for the next step.

• Like 1

Footy is all about preparation and development. But every premiership team has had a bit of luck here and there along the way. Daniher was a poor tactician after 2000, but you could argue that he never had those little bits of luck required for the next step.

You're right, Chook. The draft penalties were a bastard. And - no - he wasn't blessed with particularly good luck generally (although in comparison to poor Balmey, he got a decent run).

At the same time, though, he got and still gets an amazing run reputation-wise with the "6 finals berths in a decade" stat. True - 1998, 2000 and 2002 were genuinely exciting. But do 2004 and 2005 elimination finals losses really count? And was 2006 much better than a pass, even if you take into account the flow-on effect of the salary cap sanctions?

Daniher didn't talk to you unless you were a gun

Ask Jolly why he left too

was a bit of a [censored]

Based on the words of one player - Jolly - who he wouldnt give a game to for whatever reason. So dont take that as factl. Other old players have cast doubt on Jolly's version.

Scott Thompson was considered a gun from the start - he was picked up as the main cog for our midfield rebuild at the time - and by 2004 he was carving it up in the midfield better than any of the others we've had in our midfield since then. To the point that when he left (which we resisted because we had staked our future on his success - even including his image on our membership cards at the time) we never recovered midfield wise other than when one or two others were flying (like Bruce who was a brownlow favourite unril round 10 one year when he was injured by that bloke that got his premiership medal stolen).

So I very much doubt that Daniher had a hands off policy with a player who was considered a rising star at the club - so if he dislikes Daniher its for other reasons.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Daniher had a list early on in particular that was far better than ours is now.