Cutting The Fat

You're Gawn

Looking at our list it is obvious that although there are some talented players, there are also many deficiencies. It's time the MFC takes a tougher approach, and get rid of all the players that will not move the club forward.

Travis Cloke, Charlie Dixon, Chris Knights, Shannon Byrnes, Myke Cook, Koby Stevens and Dean Galea will most likely all be available at the end of the year and i think the recruitment staff should make a play for every single one of them. They will add greater depth to our list and introduce some valuable experience to our young list.

Cloke, Knights and Byrnes are all free agents meaning we can get them without having to trade. Also Byrnes and Knights are out of favour at their respective clubs so we could pick them up rather cheaply

Cook and Galea are both dominating the vfl and would be available with either a 3rd or 4th round pick (Cook) or rookie pick (Galea).

This would leave Dixon and Stevens as the only players that we would actually need to give something up for and I'm sure something could be arranged to get the deals done.

From the list we would be able to add 2 forwards, 3 midfielders, a forward/2nd ruck (allowing Clark to stay deep) and a small midfielder/forward, with Dixon being the only one that may demand a big salary in the future (other than Cloke obviously)

Hopefully add to the list pick 3 (Toumpas), 4 (Mayes/J.Martin) and 13 (Kennedy), as well as Viney and suddenly we have depth all over the ground.

Imagine the options we would have with:

FB: Nicholson/Tapscott Frawley Rivers/Garland

HB: Grimes McDonald/Sellar Watts

C: Trengove/M.Cook Toumpas/Stevens Mayes/J.Martin

HF: Knights/Kennedy Cloke Howe/Sylvia

FF: Byrnes/Blease Clark Galea/Dixon (CHF if we can't get Cloke)

FOLL: Jamar Jones Viney/McKenzie

With players such as L.Cook, Davis and Gawn also developing at Casey, the future looks bright for the MFC. Suddenly we have about 30 blokes that are ready to play and very few holes remain.

Players that should make way: Green, Lawrence, Evans, Bartram, Bate, Bennell, Morton, Petterd, Moloney, Jurrah (unfortunately), Davey

Edited by You're Gawn
  • Like 1

With players such as L.Cook, Davis and Gawn also developing at Casey, the future looks bright for the MFC. Suddenly we have about 30 blokes that are ready to play and very few holes.

This is a joke right? How is Cook developing? I think you might wanna watch some VFL and reassess. Struggling big time.

This is a joke right? How is Cook developing? I think you might wanna watch some VFL and reassess. Struggling big time.

I agree he isn't in the best of form but around the middle of the year people were calling for his to replace Clark. As shown above, I wouldn't have him in the best 22 but there's no harm in allowing him to put on weight and play against stronger bodies at Casey for now

Interesting post but I agree that Lucas Cook is struggling to maintain his position in Casey and Davis is up and down - neither look likely to break into a side that itself isnt up to par.

Some on your list are interesting potential pickups though.

Cook replacing Clark? :)

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Have a look at him play at Casey. Might get there but battling now.Chris Knights looks very likely and Koby Stevens is often mentioned. Time will tell but Id like to pick up a lot of new talent as well.

Agree your gawn. If we could get all those options (moneyball approach) plus high draft pick we are looking good.

But don't you think other clubs will competing for these options as well? We might get one or two but highly doubt we woyld get them all. Worth a try but...

Looking at our list it is obvious that although there are some talented players, there are also many deficiencies. It's time the MFC takes a tougher approach, and get rid of all the players that will not move the club forward.

Travis Cloke, Charlie Dixon, Chris Knights, Shannon Byrnes, Myke Cook, Koby Stevens and Dean Galea will most likely all be available at the end of the year and i think the recruitment staff should make a play for every single one of them. They will add greater depth to our list and introduce some valuable experience to our young list.

Cloke, Knights and Byrnes are all free agents meaning we can get them without having to trade. Also Byrnes and Knights are out of favour at their respective clubs so we could pick them up rather cheaply

Cook and Galea are both dominating the vfl and would be available with either a 3rd or 4th round pick (Cook) or rookie pick (Galea).

This would leave Dixon and Stevens as the only players that we would actually need to give something up for and I'm sure something could be arranged to get the deals done.

From the list we would be able to add 2 forwards, 3 midfielders, a forward/2nd ruck (allowing Clark to stay deep) and a small midfielder/forward, with Dixon being the only one that may demand a big salary in the future (other than Cloke obviously)

Hopefully add to the list pick 3 (Toumpas), 4 (Mayes) and 13 (Kennedy), as well as Viney and suddenly we have depth all over the ground.

C: Trengove/M.Cook Toumpas/Stevens Mayes/Knights

HF: Blease/Kennedy Cloke Howe/Sylvia

FF: Byrnes Clark Galea/Dixon (CHF if we can't get Cloke)

FOLL: Jamar/Martin Jones Viney/McKenzie

With players such as L.Cook, Davis and Gawn also developing at Casey, the future looks bright for the MFC. Suddenly we have about 30 blokes that are ready to play and very few holes remain.

Players that should make way: Green, Lawrence, Evans, Bartram, Bate, Bennell, Morton, Petterd, Moloney, Jurrah (unfortunately), Davey

Can't agree on Cook developing and Gawn will take a long time to get going. Evans has to stay and I believe he will. With no training for most of the year he has an impact in the games he has played for Casey.

Can't agree on Cook developing and Gawn will take a long time to get going. Evans has to stay and I believe he will. With no training for most of the year he has an impact in the games he has played for Casey.

Obviously Gawn and Cook aren't up to afl standard, however with enough depth in the team, we can afford to allow them more time in the 2's to get bigger and stronger. Evans is a tough one, with his contract ending at the end of the year the decision has to be made whether or not he will be able to break into the starting 22 for enough games next year and whether or not the new picks are going to be better than him.

Hopefully add to the list pick 3 (Toumpas), 4 (Mayes) and 13 (Kennedy), as well as Viney and suddenly we have depth all over the ground.

C: Trengove/M.Cook Toumpas/Stevens Mayes/Knights

HF: Blease/Kennedy Cloke Howe/Sylvia

FF: Byrnes Clark Galea/Dixon (CHF if we can't get Cloke)

FOLL: Jamar/Martin Jones Viney/McKenzie

like your post :) regarding the players that should make way, Bartram, Jurrah, Moloney and Davey i'm not sure about.

As long as Bartrams surgery goes well i say keep him as he has a superb work rate and will give his all whenever he takes to the field and players like that are invaluable. Yes his disposal is not the best but nobody is perfect.

Jurrah, provided his trial goes well, would be worth keeping on the list but having said that he has been given leave by the club to spend time with his family so the signs are not good but he is a huge talent and we will have to wait and see with him.

Moloney, is a proven top player. Yes he has had a dramatic drop in form this season but we have all seen what he can do when at his best so we should probably give him another year but it may be tough to organise just a one year extension for him.

Davey, he is probably at the crossroads in his career and probably heading down the wrong way. That being said though, he is in the same sort of boat as moloney in such that he is a proven star and is hugely damaging at his best, but he has had more than his fair share of injuries over the past 2 seasons and it may be a way of his body is telling him its time to give it up.

Not too long ago i was in the keep moloney camp but if a team makes a serious offer then the club should let him walk.

His greatest value to us at the moment is what we would get for his leaving.

The flip side is who in the midfield is over 25 if he goes...would love a bit more info on the formula used to determine the compo picks given for fa losses

like your post :) regarding the players that should make way, Bartram, Jurrah, Moloney and Davey i'm not sure about.

As long as Bartrams surgery goes well i say keep him as he has a superb work rate and will give his all whenever he takes to the field and players like that are invaluable. Yes his disposal is not the best but nobody is perfect.

Jurrah, provided his trial goes well, would be worth keeping on the list but having said that he has been given leave by the club to spend time with his family so the signs are not good but he is a huge talent and we will have to wait and see with him.

Moloney, is a proven top player. Yes he has had a dramatic drop in form this season but we have all seen what he can do when at his best so we should probably give him another year but it may be tough to organise just a one year extension for him.

Davey, he is probably at the crossroads in his career and probably heading down the wrong way. That being said though, he is in the same sort of boat as moloney in such that he is a proven star and is hugely damaging at his best, but he has had more than his fair share of injuries over the past 2 seasons and it may be a way of his body is telling him its time to give it up.

Fair enough, i had Bartram purely because of his injury and the low chance of it being a success, would love him to go round again.

Jurrah is more likely to leave than us getting rid of him. His leave to adelaide is another sign that things aren't going well and the court case isn't looking good either.

Moloney can be good but i think his best is behind him and with similar players such Viney coming through it may be time for him to move on while we can still receive adequate compensation. Was one of my favourites, will be sad to see him go. Being dropped against GWS was the final straw.

Davey is that far over the hill it's not funny, his motivation, pace and enthusiasm has completely left him and it is time he left.

Fair enough, i had Bartram purely because of his injury and the low chance of it being a success, would love him to go round again.

Jurrah is more likely to leave than us getting rid of him. His leave to adelaide is another sign that things aren't going well and the court case isn't looking good either.

Moloney can be good but i think his best is behind him and with similar players such Viney coming through it may be time for him to move on while we can still receive adequate compensation. Was one of my favourites, will be sad to see him go. Being dropped against GWS was the final straw.

Davey is that far over the hill it's not funny, his motivation, pace and enthusiasm has completely left him and it is time he left.

i can definitely see where you're coming from. it will be interesting to see how things pan out

Worth putting Stef on the table for Dixon? This would give GC a ready made 1st ruck and with Smith suffering from a case of the 2nd year blues, this trade could take a lot of pressure off their other developing rucks.

Martin is a good back up ruck option for us but Dixon could play the same role with the ability to be more dangerous up forward. With Clark and Sellar being able to pinch hit in the ruck, another versatile player in Dixon would not be wasted. Gawn and Spencer will also provide extra depth in the future.

Worth putting Stef on the table for Dixon? This would give GC a ready made 1st ruck and with Smith suffering from a case of the 2nd year blues, this trade could take a lot of pressure off their other developing rucks.

Martin is a good back up ruck option for us but Dixon could play the same role with the ability to be more dangerous up forward. With Clark and Sellar being able to pinch hit in the ruck, another versatile player in Dixon would not be wasted. Gawn and Spencer will also provide extra depth in the future.

/

Why the Dave would we trade Martin for Dixon ?

Martin [censored] all over him at all aspects of footy.

• Like 1

Martin isn't a natural forward so when Jamar returns he will have to play a good amount there and may struggle to hold his spot. Clark and Sellar will be able to provide back up and Neeld may want to develop Gawn a bit more with some senior football. He would be terrific trade bait in this situation, especially since Spencer has shown a bit too. Dixon would be able to become a genuine forward which would allow us to have two big blokes playing deep while the other pushes up around the half forward area, just like wce have done with kennedy, darling, cox/naitanui, lynch.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Martin, but it's time for the club to focus on success and what is best in the long term.

I agree he isn't in the best of form but around the middle of the year people were calling for his to replace Clark. As shown above, I wouldn't have him in the best 22 but there's no harm in allowing him to put on weight and play against stronger bodies at Casey for now

Just because people on Demonland want him to play, doesn't make him ready, or even competent.

• Like 1

Wash your mouth out -- I sincerely hope that Viney has a lot more strings in his bow, burning desire to be the very best, and talent than Brent.

And I keep getting confused - is he free agent of some sort and if so what sort of compensation could we expect? Something "at the discretion of the (even handed) AFL commission"??? LOL :-(((

Edited by monoccular

Wash your mouth out -- I sincerely hope that Viney has a lot more strings in his bow, burning desire to be the very best, and talent than Brent.

I said similar not the same. Viney and Moloney both play a tough inside game, however, Viney appears to have "more strings in his bow," being able to spread from contests and have more impact around the ground. This is why i believe Moloney may be on the way out.

Edited by You're Gawn