Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

Wines wants to be a one club player. This is based on two seasons with a coach who obviously has great rapport with his players & some moderate success. We now have that coach .....the club will slowly succeed & hopefully have moderate success this season .....can we not have an embarrassing 30 odd pages on discussion on whether we got the right player. We have jimmy toumpas .....who has played one season.....& I hope to god never hears or reads Demonland. Can we just stop the hand wringing & let him be ......he along with jack watts will be very good for the mfc.

• Like 1

I understand your stance WYL but do you reckon it's a little unfair to totally write a young bloke off after one season? just because Wines is good doesn't mean Jimmy won't match him in time

My problem D26 is I have heard that line with quite a lot of MFC selections over the last decade and guess what 90% of them never got any better and are now playing in much lower leagues.

• Like 1

Wines wants to be a one club player. This is based on two seasons with a coach who obviously has great rapport with his players & some moderate success. We now have that coach .....the club will slowly succeed & hopefully have moderate success this season .....can we not have an embarrassing 30 odd pages on discussion on whether we got the right player. We have jimmy toumpas .....who has played one season.....& I hope to god never hears or reads Demonland. Can we just stop the hand wringing & let him be ......he along with jack watts will be very good for the mfc.

I think you just doomed him Deestar3

the kid doesn't like the hard ball. It is why we get smashed in the middle.

Toumpas will not match Wines. He may improve but you either like the hard ball or you don't.

Port Radelaide must still be laughing at our stupidity.

He was fine with the hard ball at junior level and in the SANFL, i reckon it's a confidence thing, but i will give him 3 years before i will write him off totally, wouldn't be the first player who hasn't been great in their first year and come good in a big way

My problem D26 is I have heard that line with quite a lot of MFC selections over the last decade and guess what 90% of them never got any better and are now playing in much lower leagues.

I understand what you mean OD but you don't hear Geelong saying why aren't first year draftee's impacting games, freo's first year draftee last year played one game, they get significantly more exposure at MFC and alot of the time it's far too early, but because we are sick of losing if they players can't walk off the street and make the step up in round 1 we have selected badly.

having said that i would have taken Wines because Wines and Viney would have been our engine room for the next decade but we have Jimmy

I understand what you mean OD but you don't hear Geelong saying why aren't first year draftee's impacting games, freo's first year draftee last year played one game, they get significantly more exposure at MFC and alot of the time it's far too early, but because we are sick of losing if they players can't walk off the street and make the step up in round 1 we have selected badly.

having said that i would have taken Wines because Wines and Viney would have been our engine room for the next decade but we have Jimmy

For better or worse I hope he changes my current feelings over the remainder of this year and 2015.

• Like 1

the kid doesn't like the hard ball. It is why we get smashed in the middle.

Toumpas will not match Wines. He may improve but you either like the hard ball or you don't.

Port Radelaide must still be laughing at our stupidity.

We get smashed in the middle because of toumpas??

What about Jones?,Viney.?, Vince?, Tyson?.....these are the designated inside ball winners, players like toumpas and watts are the go to players because they are the best kicks in the side.....takes all types to make a team.....you know, you have a tall fella who takes the ruck...etc etc...

• Like 1

What about Jones?,Viney.?, Vince?, Tyson?.....these are the designated inside ball winners, players like toumpas and watts are the go to players because they are the best kicks in the side.....takes all types to make a team.....you know, you have a tall fella who takes the ruck...etc etc...

you don't get it mate.

Ollie Wines has Norm Smith Medal written all over him.

But the MFC pass that up and recruit an immature young kid who needed hip surgery!!!

It is almost laughable if it didn't hurt so much.

• Like 2

Re-signing Jack Watts will turn out to be a bad move I believe ( hes just not a footballer), and I think its fair to say so was drafting Toumpas. At the time every club wouldve taken him at pick 4. Melbourne was not alone in their high opinion of him. It turns out every club was wrong on that one. Its just that MFC is left holding the baby and P.A. 'accidentally' ended up with a Gun.

Drafting is an inexact science. Its clear that Toumpas will be more Grgic than Hodge but whats done is done. perhaps a late pick like JKH or Hunt may make up for it. We will have to wait and see.

• Like 3

I agree with you DeeZee but that is not my problem with Toumpas.

He gives off the same vibe to me as numerous other high MFC draft picks.

i.e he just does not seem to have it at senior level.

He just looks lost under the pressure of AFL level attention.

Some junior level Good players have the ability to adapt and some actually get better.

I see little signs of either with him.

• Like 1

you don't get it mate.

Ollie Wines has Norm Smith Medal written all over him.

But the MFC pass that up and recruit an immature young kid who needed hip surgery!!!

It is almost laughable if it didn't hurt so much.

The immature kid who needed hip surgery was captain of his state, had been playing senior footy for 2 years before he was drafted, was considered a top 2 pick for most of the year and we already had jack viney as a more highly rated inside mid than wines, the doggies would have also drafted toumpas if we went for someone else

The immature kid who needed hip surgery was captain of his state, had been playing senior footy for 2 years before he was drafted, was considered a top 2 pick for most of the year and we already had jack viney as a more highly rated inside mid than wines, the doggies would have also drafted toumpas if we went for someone else

Be interested to know why he dropped back to pick 4 and GWS lost interest.

• Like 1

Its all academic anyway.....Wines is a port Adelaide player....move on.

I still believe Jimmy can be a great player, we will see but give it time.

The difference is also that Wines was in a very good team last year, and did his bit.

Toumpas has been in a terrible team, that is scarred and has no confidence.

• Like 2

Be interested to know why he dropped back to pick 4 and GWS lost interest.

I firmly believe it was a handshake deal involved in our trade with Jesse Hogan, alot of people believed we paid overs and i agree

So.

Wines is Norm material from game one.

We drafted an immature kid who is NOWHERE NEAR AFL ready who needed hip surgery.

I don't give a rats clacker what other clubs think.

I am a financial member and backer of the MFC.

We keepgetting shafted by people who no longer work here!!

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH.

feels a little better.

• Like 1

Its all academic anyway.....Wines is a port Adelaide player....move on.

I still believe Jimmy can be a great player, we will see but give it time.

The difference is also that Wines was in a very good team last year, and did his bit.

Don't underestimate this, if Toumpas was in Geelong or the Hawks side he would have looked alot better than he was ever going to last year for us

So.

We drafted an immature kid who is NOWHERE NEAR AFL ready who needed hip surgery.

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH.

feels a little better.

Wines played well in a good side, Jimmy struggled to get the ball in a team that struggled to get the ball, but that doesn't mean in any way shape or form that Jimmy can't be a good player in his own right, and to say there is no way he can be is an unfounded prediction, players have been accused of being soft before and gone on to be stars.

Don't underestimate this, if Toumpas was in Geelong or the Hawks side he would have looked alot better than he was ever going to last year for us

I do agree with this D26.

The problem at the MFC for the last four years has been that the CS / DB regime denuded the club of experienced senior players.

We have been rushing in kids to fill the gaps every since and surprise surprise a lot of them are not capable of taking up the slack.

Now Roos has bought in some experience, average quality but much better than what we had. This is still a work in progress that I am confident he will add to at the end of this year.

I pray this will at least make us competitive over the next couple of years so the kids can be developed.

• Like 1

but that is just it.

Toumpas is scarred and has no confidence. We need to get away from that!

We need guys playing who are rock hard.

I realise that all of us want an 18 year old after 1 and a 1/2 preseasons to be a star of the competition....

If you go through that draft I think you will find that of the top ten played a average 14 games.....Whitfield and Wines played the most (pick 1 and 7)

All the rest have had some good games (Jimmy included) but have not been stars, all are learning and improving

But to write off a young player because you don't like the way he runs or accuse him of cowardice just belies belief....it's so easy to sit and judge from the comfort of your own home....

• Like 1

I realise that all of us want an 18 year old after 1 and a 1/2 preseasons to be a star of the competition....

If you go through that draft I think you will find that of the top ten played a average 14 games.....Whitfield and Wines played the most (pick 1 and 7)

All the rest have had some good games (Jimmy included) but have not been stars, all are learning and improving

But to write off a young player because you don't like the way he runs or accuse him of cowardice just belies belief....it's so easy to sit and judge from the comfort of your own home....

Obviously I missed those games Bossdog.

Yes it is but what else can we all do.

We don't have the luxury of going to winning games then watching future good players play in VFL.

So.

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH.

feels a little better.

Ummm really? So who drafted Toumpas? Viney did. Unless you know something we don't, he still works for us.

Maybe the news hasn't reached the bomb shelter you live in yet.

Ummm really? So who drafted Toumpas? Viney did. Unless you know something we don't, he still works for us.

Maybe the news hasn't reached the bomb shelter you live in yet.

Maybe he's thinking Neeld or hasn't that news reached the Caravan park you live in yet.