Jake Spencer

Jarka

Are you stupid?

When Old Dee posts why do you respond to me? If Old Dee says he knows Spencer's family that doesn't mean I do too.

Have a look back at your posts and perhaps rethink your posting.

HA HA Ha Ha. Clearly one too many victory beers and just the assumption that you two were the same person. Sorry Robbie. I apologise completely for mixing you up with Old Dee...Is that an insult?

Whoops!

Spencer's had 5 seasons. More than a couple................

The point that dd36 makes still stands.

Ruckmen take ages and Jamar took as long as a dressage horse to be trained up (watch too much Olympics with the missus...)

Point is, he was never going to take less time than this and if he goes we better bloody be sure of two things: he can't make it, and we don't need him.

I would keep him at this stage. Jamar will be number one ruck for the next few years but Gawn is no certainty and Martin can never be a number one ruck.

Also, if Spencer keeps us from picking a ruckman with Pick 3 or 4 - it would be worth it.

Edited by rpfc

HA HA Ha Ha. Clearly one too many victory beers and just the assumption that you two were the same person. Sorry Robbie. I apologise completely for mixing you up with Old Dee...Is that an insult?

Whoops!

No it's not actually, Old Dee is in fact a very decent person.

• Like 1

Spencer's had 5 seasons. More than a couple................

Not sure what my knowing the family has to do with RobbieF

Perhaps a couple too many celebration drinkies tonight Goag!

He was drafted in 2008 which means this is his 4th year.

Take away one year for knee reco and it effectively means three.

spencer has showed more promise then what jamar did in his first couple of seasons.

yep he has plenty of improvement left in him

Spencer was picked up in the 2008 draft therefore he has had slightly less than 4 seasons. Try to get it right.

Wrong Robbie. No mistake on my part this time.

Check it out here to get your facts right... Spencer drafted as a rookie end of 07 season. Means he was doing pre-season.

Deuce!

Edited by Grandson of a gun

Check it out here to get your facts right... Spencer drafted as a rookie end of 07 season. Means he was doing pre-season.

Deuce!

Go to the MFC web site I will take their word.

Deuce!

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/playerprofile/jakespencer/tabid/8357/playerid/18417/category/senior/season/2012/selected/bio/default.aspx

Draft history: 2008 Rookie Draft selection (Melbourne) No. 35; 2010 NAB AFL Draft rookie elevation (Melbourne) selection No. 96.

Game set and match.

It was definately the end of the 07 season. The rookie draft is held at the start of the 08 year so perhaps that is why the anomoly on the website....

He had the full 2008 at Melbourne. That's 5 years buddy.

But perhaps that is too difficult for you to comprehend.

HOWEVER

We are arguing semantics really.

As stated previously, love his endeavour, physicality, and heart. And by all accounts a ripping bloke.

Just a ripping bloke who is a battler and will only ever be that at AFL level.

I don't mean or wish him any ill will or those that know him.

But he has had 5 years on the list (and 4 fit given the reco) and is still just a very average tap ruckmen that doesn't even dominate that at either VFL or AFL level.

If only Cook was/is given as much time as Spencer is given.....

It was definately the end of the 07 season. The rookie draft is held at the start of the 08 year so perhaps that is why the anomoly on the website....

He had the full 2008 at Melbourne. That's 5 years buddy.

But perhaps that is too difficult for you to comprehend.

HOWEVER

As stated previously, love his endeavour, physicality, and heart. And by all accounts a ripping bloke.

But he has had 5 years on the list (and 4 fit given the reco) and is still just a very average tap ruckmen that doesn't even dominate that at either VFL or AFL level.

3rd round Rookie selection = pick 12 in the National Draft, I don't think so.

Still reckon I got it wrong when I said that our recruiting has been shithouse?

Wait until you sober up before you answer.

Edited by RobbieF

http://www.melbourne...io/default.aspx

Draft history: 2008 Rookie Draft selection (Melbourne) No. 35; 2010 NAB AFL Draft rookie elevation (Melbourne) selection No. 96.

Game set and match.

Magner was drafted in the 2012 Rookie draft. Guess his first year doesn't count.

If you're gonna try to smash me with stats, get it right.

HOWEVER

Yes we are

Spenser got a game in his second year ( first round of 2009 Do we agree )Third by your count.

At that rate Cook needs one in March 2013.

We are going to disagree again Goag based on his first two years the first game looks a long way off.

3rd round Rookie selection = pick 12 in the National Draft, I don't think so.

Still reckon I got it wrong when I said that our recruiting has been shithouse?

Wait until you sober up before you answer.

Sober or not, i was still correct Robbie whether you want to admit it or not. But given we're on the "Give Big Men Time" argument, i was merely stating that maybe Cook should be afforded that. however it was a digression off thread topic. I apologise.

And i actually believe our problem has not so much been the drafting as the ability to develop and get the best out of the players we draft. Would Melbourne have turned Sidebottom into the player he is today? But that is another argument for another thread and you would probably agree a little more there...

Spenser got a game in his second year ( first round of 2009 Do we agree )Third by your count.

At that rate Cook needs one in March 2013.

We are going to disagree again Goag based on his first two years the first game looks a long way off.

No. Second by my count. Clearly i need to spell it out for you....

All of 2008 = 1 year

All of 2009 = 2 years (and therefore second year)

All of 2010 = 3 years and so on.... All of 2012 makes 5 years. Not that hard to understand.

As for Cook. He was kicking goals and in the best regularly during the year and then with the VFL byes and a few poor games he has dropped off again.

I am first to say i wish he was performing well enough to be playing for the Demons now. He isn't and therefore isn't. Does that mean he is a lost cause. I don't believe so. Does he look close at the moment. No. What will 2013 bring? Who knows. I hope for MFC's sake a performing Lucas Cook.

Magner was drafted in the 2012 Rookie draft. Guess his first year doesn't count.

If you're gonna try to smash me with stats, get it right.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131572/default.aspx

Key dates for the 2012 draft and free agency.

Now this hasn't been held yet so I guess the 2012 Rookie draft will be held on the 11/12/2012 so I guess Magnar will be pleased to know he's going to get drafted this year.

Now the 2011 Rookie draft that's another story.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121152/default.aspx

the Rookie draft was held on the 13/12/2011

if you can't work it out, and I suggest you wait until you sober up, see if you can get someone to explain it to you.

http://www.afl.com.a...72/default.aspx

Key dates for the 2012 draft and free agency.

Now this hasn't been held yet so I guess the 2012 Rookie draft will be held on the 11/12/2012 so I guess Magnar will be pleased to know he's going to get drafted this year.

Now the 2011 Rookie draft that's another story.

http://www.afl.com.a...52/default.aspx

the Rookie draft was held on the 13/12/2011

if you can't work it out, and I suggest you wait until you sober up, see if you can get someone to explain it to you.

You are a fool. My post on Magner was sarcastic because you were so wrong with your understanding of which pre-season Spencer was selected in...

Here it is spelled out for you:

EVERY PICK IN THE 2007 ROOKIE AND PRE-SEASON DRAFTS

Gee i wonder when that was held? End of the 2007 season and before the start of the 2008 season. YEP that is CORRECT.

But wait lets see.....

Here's Wikipedia's records

As you can see. It is referred to as the 2008 Rookie draft however was held BEFORE the 2008 season started.

Pretty simple stuff really. If you are struggling so much sober, i'd hate to see you inebriated.

No one is a fool.

RF - they give the ND the year that it is done in and they give the PSD and RD the following year for some stupid reason.

Magner is a rookie of the 2012 class.

And Spencer was '2008' but came to the club the same year as Morton - at the end of 2007 going into 2008.

Edited by rpfc

Thanks for the calming influence RPFC.

Enough of this back and forth with my fellow Melbourne die hards.

Onto other topics. We won after all. And in the end we all want the same result.....

Spencer is all heart, is aggressive, and has a crack all the time without exception. That's why I hate that I agree with GSOAG, he's not good enough.

Pencil is someone I enjoy watching at the footy especially this year as we all complain about efforts from everyone at least we see he is having a dip. I hope he can be taught skills by our skillful players and in return he can teach our skillful players how to have a dip.

• Like 1

Good to hear, I think Spence has been ok and is getting better, his second and third efforts put some of our other players to shame. When he kicked the goal today, just about every player ran to him so that tells me he is popular with the group and you usually only get that when you put in. He's had a heap of injuries and played very few games but i reckon that will change.

He is a genuine ruckman not some forward that pinch hits from time to time and he is a lot quicker than he gets credit for.

There was vision of spencer going full pelt after a player in the last couple of games and he looked just as fast as anyone in the comp! it would be interesting to see how he went going around corners though at the pace he was going for somebody with a frame of his size! I hadn't seen him on the field for some time and was surprised by how solid he looked!

I really liked what i saw of him today and he has a great work ethic, and as neeld said "he won't die wondering" so he obviously has a great work ethic, it would be nice to see his hard work rewarded. good luck to him :)

• Like 1