No more comments from players .....please

Maybe next year

I am no longer interested in what the players have to say about the game. Fine for one player to join the coach (as Howe did yesterday) but I no longer want to hear from others be they captains, past captains or senior players. As an example I don't want to hear from Trengrove or McKenzie that we were not good enough and they have to improve. I think that is fairly obvious. When they put in a 4 quarter effort then I am happy to hear from them.

I am happy to hear from the Coach and Administration because they need to tell supporters and members where they are heading. Enough is enough. If I hear one more player tell me that there were positives but they need to be consistent over 4 quarters or they need to improve, I will spew.

• Like 1

The backline put in a 4 quarter effort yesterday. To have 35-less inside 50s and 160 less disposals and only lose by 10 goals is a testament to the quality of our backline, as strange as that may sound.

The thing that was worst yesterday was our manning up. Noticeably appalling, none of our midfield were looking after their opponents. This is Football 101, not difficult stuff.

Another issue is our deadweight players who don't contribute over the course of the game: (this year) Martin, McKenzie, Bartram, Bail, Bate, Jamar (around the ground). Morton, Sellar and McDonald are also never going to turn games. That's 9 out of 22!

Hard times ahead.

I am no longer interested in what the players have to say about the game. Fine for one player to join the coach (as Howe did yesterday) but I no longer want to hear from others be they captains, past captains or senior players. As an example I don't want to hear from Trengrove or McKenzie that we were not good enough and they have to improve. I think that is fairly obvious. When they put in a 4 quarter effort then I am happy to hear from them. I am happy to hear from the Coach and Administration because they need to tell supporters and members where they are heading. Enough is enough. If I hear one more player tell me that there were positives but they need to be consistent over 4 quarters or they need to improve, I will spew.

So what happens when the journos turn up for their obligatory interviews that the club is responsible for ensuring happen? Just sit there in silence?

• Like 1

So what happens when the journos turn up for their obligatory interviews that the club is responsible for ensuring happen? Just sit there in silence?

If you read my post, I said one player can sit with the coach after the game and answer the journos questions. After that, they can say, we will answer the questions when we play 4 quarters with passion.

If you read my post, I said one player can sit with the coach after the game and answer the journos questions. After that, they can say, we will answer the questions when we play 4 quarters with passion.
Oh good. I'm sure the AFL, with its media rights deal and army of lawyers ready to enforce it, is very grateful that you've allowed one player comment per match, but respectfully disagrees.

As I said, the clubs have an (contractual) obligation to provide a certain amount of player availability for media commitments. The players have to say something, sometimes. If you're not a fan, don't read the articles and don't watch the clips. Easy peasy.

Oh good. I'm sure the AFL, with its media rights deal and army of lawyers ready to enforce it, is very grateful that you've allowed one player comment per match, but respectfully disagrees.

As I said, the clubs have an (contractual) obligation to provide a certain amount of player availability for media commitments. The players have to say something, sometimes. If you're not a fan, don't read the articles and don't watch the clips. Easy peasy.

Unless you are St Kilda under Lyon??

Guest Gotzy15

Totally agree with the OP here and the criticism from some is ridiculous. I too am heartily sick of our players continuing to roll out the same bullsh** every week,things like "we need to be more consistent over 4 quarters" and the classic MFC quote "our effort needs to get better". What do you think sides like Geelong and hawthorn think when they hear that garbage??We don't need to keep hearing this crap as the players never go out the next week and make amends. And if there are contractual obligations well I don't give a sh** they can sing I'm a Barbie girl or something.

• Like 1

The backline put in a 4 quarter effort yesterday. To have 35-less inside 50s and 160 less disposals and only lose by 10 goals is a testament to the quality of our backline, as strange as that may sound.

The thing that was worst yesterday was our manning up. Noticeably appalling, none of our midfield were looking after their opponents. This is Football 101, not difficult stuff.

Another issue is our deadweight players who don't contribute over the course of the game: (this year) Martin, McKenzie, Bartram, Bail, Bate, Jamar (around the ground). Morton, Sellar and McDonald are also never going to turn games. That's 9 out of 22!

Hard times ahead.

Can't believe all the posters who have turned on Jordie Mckenzie. Hailed last season as a 'hero', 'tackling machine' etc,etc.

• Like 1

Nathan Jones on radio this morning says the team will treat this weeks Jim Stynes tribute game "just like every other game"

WTF does that mean If that is the best he can say then it's best he says nothing

Not asking for some over the top statement, but that is not what supporters want to hear

Can't believe all the posters who have turned on Jordie Mckenzie. Hailed last season as a 'hero', 'tackling machine' etc,etc.

I agree, if we lose Jordies Intensity at the ball & at the contest/player, we will be far behind the 8 ball.

His aggression & courage cannot be replaced.

Whenever our players are interviewed these days pressing the mute button is a must. It's always the same old lines, the same old excuses and the same old cliches. They come across like uninterested programmed robots.

• Like 2

Whenever our players are interviewed these days pressing the mute button is a must. It's always the same old lines, the same old excuses and the same old cliches. They come across like uninterested programmed robots.

Being a professional footballer has a number of responsibilities beyond playing the game. The club seeks exposure in as many forms and as often as possible to satisfy the expectations of sponsors who want their brand exposed widely and frequently. Hence the club will push players forward. That they speak like robots is hardly surprising given the rapidity with which any journo or blogger will jump on anything even mildly controversial. And not all players have the ability to sound interesting - we recruit them to play football, not to lead the debating team.

In summary, if we want good paying sponsors, we need to ensure our footballers are front and centre in the media whether we win or lose and irrespective of how they sound.

PS: I'd much rather a robot than a Jason Akermanis (with respect to media comments)

• Like 2

I agree, if we lose Jordies Intensity at the ball & at the contest/player, we will be far behind the 8 ball.

His aggression & courage cannot be replaced.

I'm always unsure what to make of the comment "further behind the 8-ball". If we're behind the 8-ball, we're in a fair bit of strife. But if we're further behind the 8-ball, in a game of pool that would mean there are more angles opening up to reach our desired destination. I think we are as close to being behind the 8-ball that is possible without sitting on top of it.

• Like 1

I'm always unsure what to make of the comment "further behind the 8-ball". If we're behind the 8-ball, we're in a fair bit of strife. But if we're further behind the 8-ball, in a game of pool that would mean there are more angles opening up to reach our desired destination. I think we are as close to being behind the 8-ball that is possible without sitting on top of it.

Should have put this in the positivity thread

• Like 2

Nathan Jones on radio this morning says the team will treat this weeks Jim Stynes tribute game "just like every other game"

WTF does that mean If that is the best he can say then it's best he says nothing

Not asking for some over the top statement, but that is not what supporters want to hear

So does that mean they will lose by 10 or 15 goals this week?

Having said that the MFC better use Jones for all media statements at least he has proved he is up to the job.

And your point is ...???

Good interview with Jones, glad he's in the leadership group, would have been happy with him as captain.

• Like 2

And your point is ...???

Good interview with Jones, glad he's in the leadership group, would have been happy with him as captain.

point is obvious. we don't want a performance as "just like every other game"

we want to see a conviction that there will be improvement (without going over the top naturally)

but to be fair to Jonesy,

when his comments were first played on 3AW earller in the morning they just gave a short sound byte with this comment as prominent.

they have now changed their soundbites to where he says different and more positive things

Also since then there has been the longer full version published on the web

And your point is ...??? Good interview with Jones, glad he's in the leadership group, would have been happy with him as captain.

I agree, and still rue the fact that he was probably the only player who has led by example(head over ball) in the last 3 games.(Clarke, and Howe excepted) I

think we're probably hearing what the FD has been trotting out to the players as well.

Not unlike the "the MFC culture's fine..." stuff we heard from MN over the last few days.!! ,when in fact a blind earless monkey with no nose could tell there was

something wrong in the stew!!

I agree, and still rue the fact that he was probably the only player who has led by example(head over ball) in the last 3 games.(Clarke, and Howe excepted) I

think we're probably hearing what the FD has been trotting out to the players as well.

Not unlike the "the MFC culture's fine..." stuff we heard from MN over the last few days.!! ,when in fact a blind earless monkey with no nose could tell there was

something wrong in the stew!!

Batters I get the feeling that there is not a lot wrong with anything at the MFC other than one thing.

The playing group we have is simply not good enough.

We all want there to be something else wrong and while some of the other things are not perfect

It all gets back to the fact we are simply not good enough.

The score board has been telling us that for most of 2011 and now the first three games straight in 2012.

We do not have the players!