• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brad Green speaks on losing leadership role

TonyMelb

FFS can't believe some posters are calling it amatuer the way this was done. You know what life is tough, Neeld did it man to man with no BS and that is what I respect in a boss. I've worked under plenty of bosses who talk BS and fill you with excuses when you know they just don't have the balls to tell you really how it is.

On one hand posters call for a change in the culture of us being a soft club and when we do something hardline it gets frowned upon.

GF Day 1993 Kevin SHEEDY walks in and tells Derek KICKETT sorry your not playing today, KICKETT has not spoken to him since Seedy makes the hard decision breaks it honestly and becomes Premiership coach again.

• Like 2

Think that applies to everyone.....

This is a disappointing attitude especially after one, yes only one really poor year. And opinion on his contract negotiations are pure conjecture as we have no clue what goes on behind closed doors, so you are choosing to think that he is screwing the club. Is he really? Prove it? And where does it say that he (or anyone else for that matter) can't try to get a good contract, I appreciate the frustrations about delays and money, but you are choosing to ignore the loyalty and great play over years of service.

Did you disrespect and dislike him to this degree when he won the Best and Fairest at the end of 2010? A bad year does not make a bad person and certainly shouldn't make loyal supporters black ball classy life long Melbourne players so easily. Was he a poor captain? Yes. But you are questioning him in his entirety and that is unacceptable and disappointing to me. I just hope that relieving him of the burden will give him the chance to retrieve the form that won him a Bluey.

Plus no matter who you are being sacked is never easy, but he has handled it with nothing but honesty and class. He deserves better than this crap.

I remember reading many times that Green had not signed and may put himself in the draft. it was in the papers more than twice. It was discussed if not here, then on Ology.

So thats my source. He heroically signed on at the death knell every time.

He had us over a barrel and fair enough went for it.

I dont see him as anything more than a professional player who has been a good player amongst mainly average players.

Did he put himself on the line? How often? Well a few times. Much like Paul wheatley's bombs into the centre it only happened a couple of times. But in the retelling it gets better.

So he brave yes, going back with into pack to take a big mark a couple of times. he kicked 55 in his best year which made him A grade that year. He shouldnt have captained Australia but I was happy for him.

Does he speak absolute Bulltish? Yes, in my opinion. His glib "Oh we will give it what for" smiling talkfests were cruel to endure, and hardly ever did it mean anything more than words.

Loyalty. Im over loyalty to tell the truth. Give me Mitch Clark over Green, without seeing him fire a shot.

Classy? Thats just an opinion you have. I dont give a fig myself, if footballers are only good footballers. Maybe Im not classy. Ive known a couple of good footballers and ive known some "classy" people. The twain dont meet...

The bottom line for me Queeny is that he had a year to do plenty but he the only leading I saw him do was to run sideways of the ball screaming for a stat. I reckon he went behind Baileys back to the board, which is mainly the incumbent presidents fault but he was a part of it.

He blotted his copybook in such a manner that Ive dropped off him.

• Like 1

Guest melbman

I remember reading many times that Green had not signed and may put himself in the draft. it was in the papers more than twice. It was discussed if not here, then on Ology.

i think Collingwood were after him from memory

So when he pulls on the red and blue this year I guess your loyalty to the players in the jumper will be tested.....

For the record I think the coach made the right call, Green's 2011 was appalling and he clearly wasn't cut out for the job. I, along with plenty of others, over estimated him in that regard.

The rest of the argument is just your personal opinion, which we are all entitled to but to which I categorically disagree. But then again I probably thought better of him in the first place.

Is he a champion of this game? No, but there is nothing wrong with a really good decent player. When did that become a point of ridicule? And as for the behind the scenes stuff, wanting him to be the villain doesn't automatically make him one. No one knows what happened, only that the club imploded and he was in the middle. I'm not going to judge any person for something I know nothing about absolutely.

I love the move towards the future as well as the way Green handled his removal, but the true test as others have said will be on the field.

And at least I can honestly say that I will be thrilled if (when) Brad returns to the form we damn well know he is capable.

Queeny I have just returned from a nice restaurant down the road, Illoner Staller, and my outlook on the world and Brad Green has changed. Im happy you've been in his corner as I have myself in the past.

I accept your argument and concede. I was too harsh.

I reflected over a nice bottle of Sangiovese and while all looked cool around me, I wasnt very classy in what I posted.

I withdraw and reckon you did well standing up for him. Cheers.

• Like 2

Queeny I have just returned from a nice restaurant down the road, Illoner Staller, and my outlook on the world and Brad Green has changed. Im happy you've been in his corner as I have myself in the past.

I reflected over a nice bottle of Sangiovese and while all looked cool around me, I wasnt very classy in what I posted.

Franky, I'm impressed and more than a little surprised cause generally around here people just keep yelling at you.....

I'm glad you had a good night out, it sounds like it definitely beats my microwave mac and cheese, and I thank you for your kind words.

You weren't out of line regarding his form last season, not up to his standards, nor the captaincy but lets hope that was the anomaly and he goes back to being what he was in 2010.

I'll always be in his corner, but your response has humbled me so thanks again :) !!!

Edited by QueenC

Quite apart from whether it was the right decision...

And quite apart from how it was delivered....

My feeling is that Brad's admirable response (provided it stays consistent with what we've seen yesterday & today) just earned him a few decibels more of cheering when he gets the ball on the members' wing. And mine will be one of those voices.

Mark Neeld has stated that he and the FD have asked the players for "elite compliance", this is serious to the extreme and very important for us all to understand, we have to be prepared that those unable to comply to an elite level will be shown the door at the end of this season and imo the way Brad is conducting himself and if he can have a consistent year he won't be one of them.

I dont see him as anything more than a professional player who has been a good player amongst mainly average players.

Did he put himself on the line? How often? Well a few times. Much like Paul wheatley's bombs into the centre it only happened a couple of times. But in the retelling it gets better.

So he brave yes, going back with into pack to take a big mark a couple of times. he kicked 55 in his best year which made him A grade that year. He shouldnt have captained Australia but I was happy for him.

Does he speak absolute Bulltish? Yes, in my opinion. His glib "Oh we will give it what for" smiling talkfests were cruel to endure, and hardly ever did it mean anything more than words.

Loyalty. Im over loyalty to tell the truth. Give me Mitch Clark over Green, without seeing him fire a shot.

Classy? Thats just an opinion you have. I dont give a fig myself, if footballers are only good footballers. Maybe Im not classy. Ive known a couple of good footballers and ive known some "classy" people. The twain dont meet...

The bottom line for me Queeny is that he had a year to do plenty but he the only leading I saw him do was to run sideways of the ball screaming for a stat. I reckon he went behind Baileys back to the board, which is mainly the incumbent presidents fault but he was a part of it.

YOU ARE A JOKE OF A MELBOURNE FAN GREEN IS A GREAT CLUBMAN AND YOU SHOULD HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME.HE HAS GIVEN HIS ALL TO OUR CLUB AND YOU TALK OF HIM LIKE A BIT OF CRAP. I CANT STOP MY BLOOD BOILING OVER YOUR CLEAR HATE TOWARDS A GREAT DEMON.DO YOU REALLY FOLLOW MELBOURNE? IF SO MAYBE ITS TIME YOU TAKE YOUR RUDE COMMENTS TO GWS

Well thank god did not get that far down the page i was so upset you could talk of green like that.

What did the brother think when Davey gave away 50 in an important game?................. he is not a leaders bootlace. The brothers can either play for true leader or join brother leader at Casey?

Since when was Beamer favourite for any Captaincy. At best it was an open race with no obvious favourite.

I guess we could always play safe and just stick with the inept leadership we had last year. No risk there.

Some fairly emotional statements there.

I don't there is any doubt that the brothers have regarded Davey as there as their leader. Do you really think that LJ wiped him off his friendship list after a couple of 50 metre penalties?

Split hairs with Moloney if you like - but if he wasn't outright favourite, he was certainly one of the favourites

Nobody is suggesting that last year's group should have been re-appointed .... but. equally we don't want to demoralise them.The Jacks are going to need their support for a few years yet.

We were flat track bullies last year.

I see Green as a victim of circumstance. If we believe what Misson says and we weren't as fit as we should be last year.

Last year the tail wagged the dog badly and for whatever reason we were given 186.

The single worst performance our club has put forward In the rebuild phase.

Bailey's position was untenable. Green should of resigned from the captaincy at the end of last year.

The leadership group should have resigned also.

In saying this I hope Green bounces back this year he lowered his colours last year.

I think everyone objectively recognises that Green is a much better than what he did last year.

Nobody is suggesting that last year's group should have been re-appointed .... but. equally we don't want to demoralise them.

MFC is a club that has one of 18 licences in the AFL and the main aim is to win a Premiership whilst running a viable club. That's the nature of the business. I'm sure all players can understand that and do the team thing. The coach has been frank with members of the previous LG, and I'm sure they as footballers having had the honour of being in the LG for the Mfc would appreciate the feedback. Sure they may have been initially disappointed but they'd support the club's youth take for the new LG - as has been expressed by Green and the like.

There's no demoralised players, they have moved on and as Neeld has said they will support the new LG; particularly Jack & Jack.

GF Day 1993 Kevin SHEEDY walks in and tells Derek KICKETT sorry your not playing today, KICKETT has not spoken to him since Seedy makes the hard decision breaks it honestly and becomes Premiership coach again.

No real reason to quote this other than the fact I was amused at you referring to Sheeds as Seedy. I wonder if he gets that much.

I challenge you to find anywhere Brad said he would put himself in the draft. It would be possible that a journo asked him the question about whether he would and answered "it's an option" or some such thing but that is a whole different slant than you are suggesting.

And if he doesn't try to negotiate the best deal for himself he would be stupid. Just because we would all play for nothing doesn't mean they would or should. This misguided notion of loyalty to a club doesn't really exist widely. Sure there examples of it but mostly players have to look after their interests.

I challenge you to find anywhere Brad said he would put himself in the draft. It would be possible that a journo asked him the question about whether he would and answered "it's an option" or some such thing but that is a whole different slant than you are suggesting.

And if he doesn't try to negotiate the best deal for himself he would be stupid. Just because we would all play for nothing doesn't mean they would or should. This misguided notion of loyalty to a club doesn't really exist widely. Sure there examples of it but mostly players have to look after their interests.

Your post is neither here nor there. You "challenge" me to find anywhere where he would put himself in the draft and then immediately propose how it may have been journalist putting words in his mouth.

You then excuse him for doing so as it is a fair means of holding up contract talks. Into october when all others had signed... It seems to me you have just talked yourself out of your opening line. Good on you for barging on regardless.