Max Viney query

dee-eee

No mullet ,no ghostly pale skin ,no pointy nose?

AFTER snatching star South Australian schoolboy Jack Viney from under the nose of Adelaide as a father-son selection, Melbourne is eyeing another teenage Croweater.

Billy Stretch, 14, is still four years away from being able to play AFL football, but that has not stopped the Demons from tagging him as a future father-son pick.

Like Viney, Stretch is the son of a Melbourne gun. His father Steven played 164 games and kicked 71 goals for the club from 1986-93, and was a long-time teammate of Jack's father Todd.

"We're certainly keeping tabs on Billy," Demons recruiting manager Barry Prendergast told the Adelaide Advertiser.

"We keep an eye on all the sons of our former players, and once they start to become good players in their age group, then we track them very closely.

"Billy's in that category now, so he's on our radar. He has a lot of ability, but we understand that there's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and us drafting him.

"Hopefully in a few years, we are in a position to sign him, just as we did with Jack."

So hypothetically, if he's good enough, when would Billy be eligible for a father son selection?

So I guess by the article that was written in Nov 2010

Then we can expect him about 2014. I don't know whether that is the 2013 draft, maybe some other scribes can clarify.

Looks nothing like Stretch.

What happens if you F/S somebody and then it turns out via DNA test that they weren't actually fathered by the 100+ game player? Work that out AFL.

Even better if the kid turns out to be fathered by a player from another team.

• Like 1

What happens if you F/S somebody and then it turns out via DNA test that they weren't actually fathered by the 100+ game player? Work that out AFL.

Its a good question Super.

And on a more practical way in these days what about:

...an IVF son where its not the fathers DNA

...an adopted son esp from a very young age

any answer is bound to upset someone

North Melbourne wont mind if it's Carey or Stevens .

• Like 1

There was a rumour going around before we drafted Scully to the effect that he was the bastard illegitimate child of a former Carlton player and that the Blues were going to get the AFL to allow them to draft him under the F/S rule.

It panned out that the rumour was untrue but once I saw what his old man looked like, I started having my doubts.

Anyway, I think if the DNA can prove paternity that the F/S rule must apply.

• 2 months later...

Forget the early assessment of Max Viney.

OK. We forgot the early assessment of Max but the story in today's Age about Jack's progress and Dylan Grimes' rising star award from last week have got me wondering about his younger brother.

Does he play footy? Is he any good or is he a young kid living a more talented brother's shadow?

Max is a great kid. He goes in hard and has good skills.

He is vertically challenged at this stage, and a bit slow of foot. As he grows this may change.

He certainly doesn't mind mixing it with kids twice his height.

Doubt he will be AFL standard, but he has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Cheers

and we will get him through Father-son if he's any good

I heard Stretch's kid wanted to play for Demon's, always been a Demon supporter

Edited by baysidedave

• 4 years later...

On 21/01/2012 at 8:14 AM, Hulett Packard III said:

I think we should give the kid a go. He may not have any aspirations at all to play elite football but he's being put under the microscope because he comes from a talented football family. Look what it did to Nathan Ablett?

On 21/01/2012 at 0:31 PM, Lutz said:

It's wrong to suggest that being put in the spotlight "did" anything to Nathan Ablett.

He never had the desire or competitiveness, spotlight or no spotlight.

And unlike any of our own* players, has a Premiership medallion to his name :-(

* I am referring to home grown and one club players, before anyone mentions Lewis

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What a strange bump.......

There has been a link to this thread in the Powered by Google ads at the bottom of the scroll. As to why it was bumped is a mystery - but I guess it's a case of mistaken identity. Anywho, whatever did happen to Max? 

7 hours ago, Skuit said:

There has been a link to this thread in the Powered by Google ads at the bottom of the scroll. As to why it was bumped is a mystery - but I guess it's a case of mistaken identity. Anywho, whatever did happen to Max? 

Currently working at Never mind Bar in Hawthorn