Narrowing in on either Grimes or Trengove for Captain

mdemonski2

Niall just commentates our issue rather than genuinely proposing anything and he alludes to knowing about what exactly happened at the club last year when I think it really has never been made clear. Which suggests that some people still at the club are being protected, which also suggests that maybe some more blood-letting may be required, but that is another issue...

Unless Green overstepped the mark last year with the Baily/Schwab debacle, he should be given another year. He had form issues and did look rather sullen at times, but he was always like that that so to give him the flick for being who he is short-sighted, possibly as short-sighted as giving J-Mac the flick totally? If he did get too involved with board issues last year, then maybe an early transition to JT and Grimes might be in order.

Green had form issues and did look rather sullen at times, but he was always like that that so to give him the flick for being who he is is short-sighted..

But Neeld doesn't own the previous football department's appointment, so how is it short-sighted for him to remove Green ? He either thinks he's the best man for the job moving forward or he doesn't. This is as much about the future direction of the club as it is about the here and now. The best decisions for the club far outweigh the best decisions for Brad Green. And they may not be mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

By Jake Niall in todays Age. Someone will find the link. He doesn't really endorse anyone but does compare Trengove to Bartel and says that Grimes or Trengove could be our version of Voss, albeit without the runs on the board that he had at the time of his appointment.

Cheers, it's not up on the Age website for me for some reason so thanks for the link.

Cheers, it's not up on the Age website for me for some reason so thanks for the link.

I went to their 'experts' drop down at the top and under Jake Niall, lo and behold, it exists.

Honestly, The Age website needs some work.

But Neeld doesn't own the previous football department's appointment, so how is it short-sighted for him to remove Green ? He either thinks he's the best man for the job moving forward or he doesn't. This is as much about the future direction of the club as it is about the here and now. The best decisions for the club far outweigh the best decisions for Brad Green. And they may not be mutually exclusive.

Good call. I didn't really mean for Brad Green's sake, I was trying to compare it to the rash decisions that have been made, like James McDonald. That said, he has been romanticised a bit, he should have stayed on, but not as captain. Point I was trying to make is neither JT or Grimes is the clear choice for captain and, unless he meddled in board affairs last year, Green should stay on as plenty of captains have had ordinary years and continued and flourished, he has been, conditionally, a very good player and leader and one ordinary year does not totally rob him of these attributes.

The players went out and lost by 186 points which is definitely a unique way to display their loyalty to the coach and how happy they were with him.

And a great endorsement of Baileys fine work .

Nature ran its course .

But Neeld doesn't own the previous football department's appointment, so how is it short-sighted for him to remove Green ?

Even if he did own the previous appointment, your point would still hold. Making a poor decision in the past shouldn't prevent you from making the right one in the present.

• Like 1

Gee it will be a laugh reading this post if Green remains Captain, watch the board go into meltdown with all our experts venting their anger..........

If Green remains captain I will accept and understand it, but it will mean that we have a leadership vacuum to Grimes and Trengove and some serious issues with our 'senior players' but we knew that already...

After a very long and hard preseason i will happily accept who Neeld & The Football Department choose. If it is Green, good luck to him he will have earnt it. But that is not to say i wouldn't be staggered at that decision. I think Brad can be a better leader if he kicks the crucial goals that last year he missed.

After a very long and hard preseason i will happily accept who Neeld & The Football Department choose. If it is Green, good luck to him he will have earnt it. But that is not to say i wouldn't be staggered at that decision. I think Brad can be a better leader if he kicks the crucial goals that last year he missed.

In a way, I wouldn't have a problem with Green being reappointed as last year he was as much a victim of poor onfield management (let's not call it coaching) by Bailey as he was of his own poor form. Being stuck in the forward line much of the time really did limit his ability to impose himself as captain and didn't give him an opportunity to play himself back into form. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that Neeld has a lot of respect for Green based as much on his ability as on his reputation...and this may be enough to get his captaincy extended for at least one more season with his likely successor name as vice captain (Trengove or Grimes?).

Now to go off topic and say at I am doing my bit for the China incursion by later today delivering a couple of Auskick balls, a pump and an Auskick back pack to my friend's two 5 year old nephews here in Shenzhen as a year of the Dragon/Demon gift :-) I hope to at some point get them to a nearby park for a little kicking/handballing instruction.

• Like 1

If Green remains captain I will accept and understand it, but it will mean that we have a leadership vacuum to Grimes and Trengove and some serious issues with our 'senior players' but we knew that already...

We have had a leadership vacuum for a long time but that is being addressed now, unfortunately we will have to be patient this year.

In a way, I wouldn't have a problem with Green being reappointed as last year he was as much a victim of poor onfield management (let's not call it coaching) by Bailey as he was of his own poor form. Being stuck in the forward line much of the time really did limit his ability to impose himself as captain and didn't give him an opportunity to play himself back into form. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that Neeld has a lot of respect for Green based as much on his ability as on his reputation...and this may be enough to get his captaincy extended for at least one more season with his likely successor name as vice captain (Trengove or Grimes?).

Now to go off topic and say at I am doing my bit for the China incursion by later today delivering a couple of Auskick balls, a pump and an Auskick back pack to my friend's two 5 year old nephews here in Shenzhen as a year of the Dragon/Demon gift :-) I hope to at some point get them to a nearby park for a little kicking/handballing instruction.

Like i said if Green is reappointed captain it will be on the current preseason attitude and form. Last year will have nothing to do with it. And good luck to him. Brad Green is a ripping guy who i have chatted with a few times...but i do not see him as a captain. Leadership group...definately.

I'd go

C - Moloney

VC (and media rep) - Grimes & Trengove

Leadership group - Jamar, Clark, Frawley.

With the leader to be decided again next year...