Mark Neeld in the media

Whispering_Jack

Posted this in the membership tally thread, thought it could go here too...

The new FD/Coach is an interesting one. I'm one of not many that only has neutral feelings toward Neeld. The one thing I think he lacks is his ability to convince me that we're a united club. I know he hasn't been at the club for long, but he's still the ex-Collingwood Assistant Coach in my eyes.

One thing that Melbourne had lacked for a long time (until Jimmy took over), was that we didn't have a "face of Melbourne". I was once told byt someone many moons ago, that the strong clubs had someone that was the face of the club, so that anytime they were seen in media outlets, walking down the street, or wherever, everyone knew what club they were from. This could be in the form of a president, ceo, coach, captain, or marquee player. It's a bloody true statement when you think of it, especially in regards to the bigger clubs. The closest we have got is Lyon, but even then he is not a massive advertisement for the club.

The theory behind these "faces" is that they are basically a free marketing tool, which creates awareness, which hopefully turns in to memberships. We can cruise along underneath the radar, but it means we have to work harder behind the scenes. Looking at our club as a whole, Neeld may have to be the man to do this over the next couple of seasons, but at the moment, I just find he's not selling us as a club.

I think performances on the field now would be a good selling point. Neeld seems to me to be a man of letting actions do the talking; instead of just talking.

Here's a little exercise, who are the "faces" or free main marketing tools of these clubs: -

Adelaide -

Brisbane -

Carlton -

Collingwood -

Essendon -

Fremantle -

Geelong -

Gold Coast -

GWS -

Hawthorn -

Melbourne -

North Melbourne -

Port Adelaide -

Richmond -

St Kilda -

Sydney -

Western Bulldogs -

West Coast -

• Like 1

I think performances on the field now would be a good selling point. Neeld seems to me to be a man of letting actions do the talking; instead of just talking.

Here's a little exercise, who are the "faces" or free main marketing tools of these clubs: -

Adelaide -

Brisbane - Jonathon Brown, Voss, Leigh Matthews was

Carlton - Was Elliott for ever and a day, now Judd is

Collingwood - Buckley when playing, then Eddie and will stay that way, also had Malthouse

Essendon - Sheedy, then Hird and now (still) Hird

Fremantle -

Geelong - in the Geelong community, Frank Costa was a very good public figure for their club, in media terms Brownless does very well (IMO)

Gold Coast - Ablett

GWS - Sheedy

Hawthorn - Kennett was, Franklin is probably going to be it in '12

Melbourne - ??? Lyon? More of a media personality than Melbourne ambassador, ***Stynes was, and sold memberships, he aint there now and we've dropped off***

North Melbourne - even sneaky Brayshaw is out and active (mini Eddie)

Port Adelaide -

Richmond - Richo was, not sure who now

St Kilda -

Sydney - Roos was a very good face of that Club,

Western Bulldogs - Smorgon is on the cusp, but not quite

West Coast - Worsfold I'm sure would be their face, especially for the locals

All the above were talk and action people (of which they did/do very well). We are action (which we aren't doing very well), Neeld is action (time will tell).

The ones that supporters get pi$$ed off with are the talk and no action ones.

Edited by billy2803
  • Like 1

All the above were talk and action people (of which they did/do very well). We are action (which we aren't doing very well), Neeld is action (time will tell).

The ones that supporters get pi$$ed off with are the talk and no action ones.

Thought that was a great list. I think there are more players that could have been listed though. I would add Riewoldt/Goddard for the Sainters as they are both fantastic players.

Also, spent a bit of time in Perth with a few Freo supporters last year and it was Pavlich this and Pavlich that and if Pavlich was in Victoria he would be massive news always. Not sure if anyone here posts from WA who could agree??

Thought that was a great list. I think there are more players that could have been listed though. I would add Riewoldt/Goddard for the Sainters as they are both fantastic players.

Also, spent a bit of time in Perth with a few Freo supporters last year and it was Pavlich this and Pavlich that and if Pavlich was in Victoria he would be massive news always. Not sure if anyone here posts from WA who could agree??

I think it's quite important for club's to have this, especially in membership drives (as well as sponsorhip opportunities). The bigger Clubs, as I said in my initial email, have people that just sell memberships.

As I also said earlier, when Neeld is in the media, I am yet to immediately think of him as "our coach". In Qld, I have people ask me who our new coach is, I have to say he's an ex-Collingwood assistant. That can change, but it will also mean Neeld has to changing his presser ways.

I think a big reason why I think that way is the amount of times he'll indicate about not talking about things in the past. Why say that when you don't want to talk about it? Why not wait for a journo to ask, then dismiss the question? Why talk about what goes on 400m down the road. I don't give a rats, I want to know what we, the greater Melbourne Football Club community are doing, and how we are going to win games as a "family". At the moment, for me, Neeld is like a step father.

Let's play some football and we might find some mojo around the place, Neeld might even appear a coach of Melbourne when he is appearing as the coach of Melbourne.

Absolutely RPFC. Obivously when he is sitting in the coaches box, I'll refer to him as coach. Will watch his pressers during the year - he has spent 4 years with the master of trivial press conferences.

As HT said above, win a few games and things change quickly. My opinion could be one of those things.

I think Mark Neeld is selling the Club really well...We the Supporters are all pretty much aware of what is going on..He has not sold us any "Fluff" at all.

It is all about getting the list fitter, Harder & more structured.

What would you prefer Billy??

Soon as he put on the MFC tie back in September i was happy.

I think Mark Neeld is selling the Club really well...We the Supporters are all pretty much aware of what is going on..He has not sold us any "Fluff" at all.

It is all about getting the list fitter, Harder & more structured.

What would you prefer Billy??

Soon as he put on the MFC tie back in September i was happy.

Well, I guess the only thing he has sold is that we will be the hardest team to play against, which is something he can't prove until game day. But forgive me when I try and think of some of our blokes being "hard" to play against!

Well, I guess the only thing he has sold is that we will be the hardest team to play against, which is something he can't prove until game day. But forgive me when I try and think of some of our blokes being "hard" to play against!

I give him some credits for his past work....4 Flags at Ocean Grove in 4 years...Success at the Western Jets. And the Midfeild work at the Filth in 2010-11.

Sure he can only prepare the list now but within 7 days that will be changing.

• 2 weeks later...

He was on MMM this morning, anyone know where I can find the clip?

For listeners; anything noteworthy said?

EDIT: Found it!

Mark Neeld Talks About Plans for Jack Watts: http://www.triplem.c...ck-watts-735307

Loved the way Neeld is going about it. If he knows where he wants to position his players, he's gonna play them there as much as possible. That is the best and quickest way to develop them, none of this play them on a flank or a wing b/s. Sure he may get some confidence with playing in another position, but he gains no experience playing as a key forward.

It might be seen as throwing him to the Wolves, but Watts has to learn what it takes to become a good KPF. We used our #1 draft pick on him, and sure whilst draft pick #'s don't determine how good a player will become, when using a #1 pick on a player, you expect that player to become an integral part of your team.

We drafted Watts to play as one of our key forwards, play him in that position to fast-track him becoming one. He's had 3 years and 40-odd games experience to learn the caper, it's now time to see if he wants to become the player we thought and want him to be.

Loved the way Neeld is going about it. If he knows where he wants to position his players, he's gonna play them there as much as possible. That is the best and quickest way to develop them, none of this play them on a flank or a wing b/s. Sure he may get some confidence with playing in another position, but he gains no experience playing as a key forward.

It might be seen as throwing him to the Wolves, but Watts has to learn what it takes to become a good KPF. We used our #1 draft pick on him, and sure whilst draft pick #'s don't determine how good a player will become, when using a #1 pick on a player, you expect that player to become an integral part of your team.

We drafted Watts to play as one of our key forwards, play him in that position to fast-track him becoming one. He's had 3 years and 40-odd games experience to learn the caper, it's now time to see if he wants to become the player we thought and want him to be.

you tell em mate !