Neeld pours heat on Demons

Surfer Rosa

Or we know where they stand for the future in their last years of their contracts. Aside from Bennell and a pre 2011 Davey I am not sure you going to see anything different from the others. And allowing for Col being well Col.

You will see the signs in 2012 but it will take them 12 months to learn the Neeld game plan sufficiently.

Neeld should benefit from the growing maturity in the quality players on our list.

RR, I agree with your sentiments regarding your last comment, however,I feel ,it will take 3 years before the likely results of Neeld inc.staff can be judged,I year implemented, 1 year further development, then last year maintained.

I don't normally buy too much into fluff articles quoting coaches over the off season, but this article is REALLY pleasing to read. No more gifted games and skulking around for cheap kicks in 2012 Aaron, if you don't put in the hard yards you don't play. Names and reputations mean nothing to MN. For too long (Bailey and Daniher eras) name players could do as they pleased. Not anymore!

Still, it's the players that have to put the ball through the big sticks. I've been super impressed with the coaching team we've assembled, but it doesn't necessarily mean success is imminent. 2012 will be a very interesting year.

RR, I agree with your sentiments regarding your last comment, however,I feel ,it will take 3 years before the likely results of Neeld inc.staff can be judged,I year implemented, 1 year further development, then last year maintained.

this team has got to show solid improvement before 3 years JCB. I expect to see it next year being that this basic group have alteady been together for 2-3 years. They just haven't been pushed hard enough. Edited by why you little

It's all about respect. If the players can sit back and say that they have put in 100%, then if they have complaints, people will listen.

If you go out and get flogged by 186 points, and it's as plain as day that you're not putting in 100%, why should the FD/Board take too much notice?

It's like asking your boss for a payrise. They will ask what you have done to warrant it, if you say "well, I've been here for 6 years now", that won't cut it. You say I've regularly met these targets, achieved this and that, it gives you more fighting power.

• Like 1

i want the best players picked to do the job. Names mean nothing now. Our list is yet to achieve. I like this approach.

Exactly. Look at where that has gotten us in the past regarding "name players" like White, Yze, Robertson, Johnston getting picked week in, week out on reputation alone which was mainly built either early in their careers or against weaker opposition.

Exactly. Look at where that has gotten us in the past regarding "name players" like White, Yze, Robertson, Johnston getting picked week in, week out on reputation alone which was mainly built either early in their careers or against weaker opposition.

I don't agree. I believe they were picked on the quality of their performance compared with others on the list and available at the time. Lack of team success was due to the level of performance of the team being insufficient - not because players were picked for the wrong reason.

Bit harsh on Jeff White I would've thought.

• Like 1

Someone on these boards mentioned earlier this year that Davey would get straight back into to the team after injury as he had a clause in his contract that he did not play VFL. I was was sceptical at the time because I couldnt believe that would be the case and horrified in equal measure in case it was !

I am glad to see that it obviously not the case and the message is clear - do what is required or play for Casey.

There's nothing to say that all those players wouldn't get a game every week under Neeld, it's just that they would have to earn it and be fit enoough to warrant it.

I have no doubt that we have been underdeveloped for years and whilst we've had some very skilled players over time they've never been pushed to the required limit hence our lack of success.

This is all about the reinforcement of the idea that a dog wags the tail.. Neeld>>> Woof !!!

The lads are being instructed as to where the bar now sits. Brave new World !!! lol Good to see. Am sure many will rise to the challenge. Those that dont wont be around for long. ;)

I just read that article and like what Neeld says. I really liked Dean Bailey as a coach but Neeld just seems to have so much more credibility.

There is no doubt we will see a super fit demons team playing football in 2012 - can't wait!

I've seen the issue of "fitness" raised a few times now and watching games in 2011 I didn't need to be told - it was plain as day the players were either unfit or lazy. My thoughts are whether it is because they previous coaching staff/FD didn't push the players hard enough they weren't fit enough or is it because of the age of our list and the fact quite a few are only in their 2nd/3rd and have had limited pre-seasons to build up the fitness base. Someone like Morton is in his 5th year next year but how many pre-seasons has he done? Similar with guys like Watts, Jurrah, Blease etc

We're playing with the big boys now lads !!! time to act like it.

I think that Neeld has a great attitude, one that our club has not had for a very long time. The time where near enough was good enough is over and I for one am a happy chappie

• Like 1

I've seen the issue of "fitness" raised a few times now and watching games in 2011 I didn't need to be told - it was plain as day the players were either unfit or lazy. My thoughts are whether it is because they previous coaching staff/FD didn't push the players hard enough they weren't fit enough or is it because of the age of our list and the fact quite a few are only in their 2nd/3rd and have had limited pre-seasons to build up the fitness base. Someone like Morton is in his 5th year next year but how many pre-seasons has he done? Similar with guys like Watts, Jurrah, Blease etc

I've said it before, but I think a big part of it was that our previous coaching panel just didn't know how far behind the field they were. I couldn't believe how unprofessional our training sessions were. The biggest bonus to Neeld coaching us is that he's come from Collingwood, which is probably the most professional outfit in the game. He brings in the knowledge of how a high quality team functions and with luck can get it to stick with a playing group that has been coddled for the last few years.

I've said it before, but I think a big part of it was that our previous coaching panel just didn't know how far behind the field they were. I couldn't believe how unprofessional our training sessions were. The biggest bonus to Neeld coaching us is that he's come from Collingwood, which is probably the most professional outfit in the game. He brings in the knowledge of how a high quality team functions and with luck can get it to stick with a playing group that has been coddled for the last few years.

That is where i see it...Coming from the Junction oval with no Budget to speak of meant that the Club lost touch with what opposition Clubs were doing.

The MFC had standards that were just not high enough...Well AAMI Park has Fixed that, because now we we have Professional Teachers who know the standard needed, & know how to run AAMI Park to it's Limits.

No Good owning a GTHO Falcon if you can't drive....Neeld has told us WE HAVE THE BEST FACILITY GOING AROUND....looks like we have the Best Pilots to drive it too...

The Players will love it when we beat a top 8 side at home or interstate. Until then it's "Full Metal Jacket" Time boys...

Sweet for us Members though...we should get value for money in 2012 and onwards

Just something else I was thinking about before... the aftermath of our win over the Bombers.

While it was a good win at the time and DB can be forgiven for showing a bit of emotion afterwards... I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat of those antics under Neeld. As I said, it was a great win but I saw the aftermath of it recently and watching us strut around like we had won a GF was kinda cringe worthy in retrospect. Hopefully under Neeld we should expect to win this games and celebrate the victories appropriately. It's these little things that I want to see change in 2012.

We are Billy...we;re in the AFL ...by default were playing with them....what we werent doing is playing like them.

We are Billy...we;re in the AFL ...by default were playing with them....what we werent doing is playing like them.

We are in the same league as them, that's where it stops. We're not competing agaisnt them yet, but we will.

The big boys play in September, while the kids are on holidays.

• Like 1

The big boys play in September, while the kids are on holidays.

Nice analogy there...i can imagine Norm Smith using that in the Team of the Century painting.

I Hope Coach Neeld has that painting in his office right now...If any player is moaning that it is all too hard...Just point to the painting and say "Do you want to get on the same level as this team did 60 years ago?"

"Now get out on the track & show me what you can really do"

I just read that article and like what Neeld says. I really liked Dean Bailey as a coach but Neeld just seems to have so much more credibility.

There is no doubt we will see a super fit demons team playing football in 2012 - can't wait!

Hi MrMoose

Not sure you can have it both ways, either DB was good or he was not.

If you accept what Neeld says our team was no where near fit enough for AFL level.

It might explain all those last quarters where we had multiple goals kicked against us.

IMO that means DB had a poor understanding of the requirements of AFL.

So do you still really like DB as a coach?