Eade as next Melbourne coach?

mrtwister

not ridiculous at all. The bulldogs aimed to make finals and survive. they did that.

It was. THe Bulldogs aimed like any Club in the finals to win a flag and they failed. Dont imply they were not targeting a flag to make you aspirations seem nobler.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that anyone still thinks Laidley is worth a punt. Absolutely not a goer.

Eade at least has changed the game, adapted and kept a slightly deficient list within a few kicks of a granny for three years.

And it was a club that had none of the advantages of Cwoods or Glong.

If Garry L can be convinced then I'll be content to give him a fly.

That said, my out and out preferences is Clarkson (pls Hawthorn, f--- it up somehow)

Pennant St Dee was right, this is a ridiculous post of yours WYL.

No one will ever know what might have happened if they'd made it in the GF. Whilst close enough (losing by a few goals in the PF) isn't enough, they weren't a long way off.

Do you seriously believe that Footscray would have challenged for last years Premiership??

They would not have got half as close as we did in 2000.

You can always dream it was going to be close, but they would have been monstered on the MCG.

It looks like Eade could be the one to get the best young list of talented [censored] ever to play afl .

Hope he doesn't make too many friends amongst the player group too quickly .

In a way it could be a good fit given his experience as a B Grade coach .

I hope he has the desire to drive these young pretenders to greatness

If he gets it -a coach who has been so close for so long but never got there could be the fit for a club with a similar background .At least I can see a Cinderella story forming .

Bad News Bears

Starring Walter Matthau as coach (Rocket Journeyman Eade)

and Tom Scully ( as the cute ,maybe too cute , kid)

Well Eade was correct when he said his results/dollar spent were pretty good

Some forget what a drip feed the dogs were on when Eade took over

Still I'm not convinced he's the best choice yet but we could do a lot worse

However it is has got to be someone who has the balls to stand up to the club (meaning all depts of mfc) and say its my way or eff off and be good enough to get away with it and make it work. Someone who tries to please too many won't cut it.

I can't believe that anyone still thinks Laidley is worth a punt. Absolutely not a goer.

Eade at least has changed the game, adapted and kept a slightly deficient list within a few kicks of a granny for three years.

And it was a club that had none of the advantages of Cwoods or Glong.

If Garry L can be convinced then I'll be content to give him a fly.

That said, my out and out preferences is Clarkson (pls Hawthorn, f--- it up somehow)

IF,,, we cannot get {THE Coach we Need} for the long term this Year, Then I'd rather put inplace a short Burst Coach to "Prepare the Boys" for the future Coach. I'm talking a One or Two year option, to harden the Lads into a Battle ready Combat Unit. This where I see room for a Viney or a Lyon or even a Pagan type. A regimented drill sergeant to sort the infantry from the petty clerks.

I don't want to waste a 4 or 5 years block on the 'settle for option'.

Its foolish to say that Eade was a mile away when in reality they could have been as close St Kilda

I am allowed to disagree...The Bulldogs never had the cattle to win a flag, being close and winning are 2 very different things.

St.kilda had some genuine superstars in their team, which apart from Cooney the Westies did not have. And even Cooney was having knee problems by then.

Try looking a little deeper, Rocket did a great job getting that side to where he did, but at no stage did i ever think they would hold up a cup.

St.kilda on the other hand were stiff, when Goddard took that spekky i thought it was going to happen

It looks like Eade could be the one to get the best young list of talented [censored] ever to play afl .

Hope he doesn't make too many friends amongst the player group too quickly .

In a way it could be a good fit given his experience as a B Grade coach .

I hope he has the desire to drive these young pretenders to greatness

If he gets it -a coach who has been so close for so long but never got there could be the fit for a club with a similar background .At least I can see a Cinderella story forming .

Bad News Bears

Starring Walter Matthau as coach (Rocket Journeyman Eade)

and Tom Scully ( as the cute ,maybe too cute , kid)

Did you notice the same thing from the players again, about 'Eade', don't go Rodney, not yet, see out the year please Rodney. Same as after Neil Daniher, and recently Bails.

It's time we broke away from the Politically Correct notion of 'Coach and confidant'. Just for the next Two years anyway. Lets see some good 'Old fashioned Insecurity' within the playing group again, for once.

Lets see the Coach wagging the players Tails for once.... Lets get a Coach who's not on a 'Leash', himself, for once!

That's not correct.

They were very close in 2009 - they lost one of the best finals I've ever seen to the Saints in the PF by 7 points, and then the Saints went very close in the GF. They lost to Geelong by 2 points in the H&A and 14 points in the QF.

In 2008 and 2010 they weren't blown away in PFs losing by 24 and 29 points.

They also lost the '08 (I think) prelim after they were very close in the last quarter, Brad Johnson went up for a mark and was tackled by that hairy Geelong defender Rooke in midair. Unbelievably no free was paid and the Cats kicked a goal and stole the momentum late.

I'm enjoying WYL's best work here though.

I am allowed to disagree...The Bulldogs never had the cattle to win a flag, being close and winning are 2 very different things.

St.kilda had some genuine superstars in their team, which apart from Cooney the Westies did not have. And even Cooney was having knee problems by then.

Try looking a little deeper, Rocket did a great job getting that side to where he did, but at no stage did i ever think they would hold up a cup.

St.kilda on the other hand were stiff, when Goddard took that spekky i thought it was going to happen

Winning the flag is not just about the cattle but how they perform on the day. I would thought that the results of the two GFs last year would demonstrate that. And in the 2nd GF, the genuine St K superstars went to water.

What happens on GF day often defies form to date or perceptions. There is enough past history to tell you that GFs are won by the best team on the day. 2002,2008 and 2010 (almost)

While you dont think Rocket had the team to win a flag and thats fine. Buts its not relevant in assessing whether Rocket would have gone close. Collingwood were odds on coming into the GF. The Bulldogs fell short by 26 points from amking the GF and who knows what could have happened. Butits sheer bollocks to claim they were satisfied at just making the finals as some credence that the Bulldogs weren't good enough.

Winning the flag is not just about the cattle but how they perform on the day. I would thought that the results of the two GFs last year would demonstrate that. And in the 2nd GF, the genuine St K superstars went to water.

What happens on GF day often defies form to date or perceptions. There is enough past history to tell you that GFs are won by the best team on the day. 2002,2008 and 2010 (almost)

While you dont think Rocket had the team to win a flag and thats fine. Buts its not relevant in assessing whether Rocket would have gone close. Collingwood were odds on coming into the GF. The Bulldogs fell short by 26 points from amking the GF and who knows what could have happened. Butits sheer bollocks to claim they were satisfied at just making the finals as some credence that the Bulldogs weren't good enough.

The Grand Final Replay was a totally different game, the saints were empty..Collingwood were able to re group one more time.

Yes GF's are won on the day by the best teams, But like Melbourne's efforts in 1988 & 2000 We were never going to win either, nor were the dogs if they had made it.

Geelong would have made Mince meat of them in 2009 as would Collingwood last year. I have been to many GF upsets so i do know what you are saying, but the Westies were never going to cause one during the past 3 years.

They lacked the big key position player(s) and relied on speed and ball movement, which is so often smashed on Grand Final Day..

I know a few doggies people whio thought it was fantastic to make 3 Prelims in a row...with their budget it probably was...

In '89 they were a Bee's Dike from not existing.

Edited by why you little

They also lost the '08 (I think) prelim after they were very close in the last quarter, Brad Johnson went up for a mark and was tackled by that hairy Geelong defender Rooke in midair. Unbelievably no free was paid and the Cats kicked a goal and stole the momentum late.

I'm enjoying WYL's best work here though.

So you honestly think Footscray were unlucky not to WIN a premiership in the last 3 years...not just compete, but WIN?

Not that that is in line with what you've largely been saying, but that's nothing new.

They nearly rolled the overwhelming favourites in the 2008 PF. Yet they couldn't have won the '08 granny?

In '09 they lost an epic PF that many would argue they were hard done by in (for the second year running). They would've come up against the team they played, and beat, only 4 weeks previously. Yet they would've been mauled...

I would not count Eade out of getting the MFC Coaching job

IMO he ticks far more boxes than every other current senior coach except for Malthouse

The obvious choice would in fact be Malthouse

That being said there is no guarantee that a premiership is the result even with Malthouse

Our biggest problem is we are not a competitive team yet although that will come eventually

When we are consistently competitive then we have a premiership chance

This next coach will be the most important appointment we have made since Norm Smith in the early fifties

I hope we get it right

Not that that is in line with what you've largely been saying, but that's nothing new.

They nearly rolled the overwhelming favourites in the 2008 PF. Yet they couldn't have won the '08 granny?

In '09 they lost an epic PF that many would argue they were hard done by in (for the second year running). They would've come up against the team they played, and beat, only 4 weeks previously. Yet they would've been mauled...

You have only mentioned Preliminary Finals though 45, after winning any of those 3 PF's do you honestly think the Bulldogs could or would have rolled the opposition in a Grand Final??

I don't think they would have got near any of them on GF day IMO

Winning a Prelim and winning a GF can be miles apart...We MFC supporters should know that one well.

And Footscray did neither of the above in the previous 3 years.

Edited by why you little

Making three straight prelims, two of which they were reasonably unlucky to lose, is no where near "miles away."

You say you would've tipped St Kilda to win the first GF, yet they were lucky to not have been blown away. Hrm.

How in the world you can figure they were "miles away" after the stats used above is simply flawed IMO. Your claim that they "aimed to make finals and survive" is "miles away."

What I also don't understand is how you frame the dogs as an underfunded club with few top class players, yet Eade isn't a good coach because he 3 times came within a quater of making GFs that, despite your ramblings, they were certainly better than a 15 goal shot.

Making three straight prelims, two of which they were reasonably unlucky to lose, is no where near "miles away."

You say you would've tipped St Kilda to win the first GF, yet they were lucky to not have been blown away. Hrm.

How in the world you can figure they were "miles away" after the stats used above is simply flawed IMO. Your claim that they "aimed to make finals and survive" is "miles away."

What I also don't understand is how you frame the dogs as an underfunded club with few top class players, yet Eade isn't a good coach because he 3 times came within a quater of making GFs that, despite your ramblings, they were certainly better than a 15 goal shot.

This is a convo that could go on for a long time similiar to the ridiculous Tom Scully threads on here!!

You rate the Dogs a lot higher than i do, that is fair enough. But i believe the dogs got as high as they were going to get over the last 3 years.

If they had sneaked int o a GF, it would have been like '99...The opposition would have licked the old lips and said "You Beauty" as Naught Melbourne would have done.

For the Bulldogs a Preliminary Final Victory has become their personal GF, ever since '97 when they were genuinely stiff.

But once again they failed when mentally challenged....'97 Prelim is an amazing game to watch if you haven't seen it.

If Melbourne were to appoint Eade then I think my response would be pretty flat, it really wouldn't be a choice to inspire confidence with me.

Jarka, did you have a look a Darcy's article? My response would've been the same as yours until I read it. Of course it's just one view, but I doubt we are likely to read anything more insightful. Just proved to me what I had already known; most footy fans (me especially) wouldn't have a clue when it comes to these things.

Guest Gareth Keenan

I read Darcy's article and it certainly does put forward a very strong case for Eade.

What I worry about is the lack of leadership at the bulldogs.

Was that a product of the players they recruited (ie. they lacked natural leadership coming into the club), or was it a product of coaching and poor leadership development?

I think we have some stellar young leaders coming through, (such as Grimes, Trengove, Scully and I've been particularly impressed with Watts lately) so this probably won't be an issue for us.

It is worth thinking about though.

Guest Gareth Keenan

And something else to note: Darcy only has Terry Wallace and Peter Rhode to compare Eade to, as far as experience with senior coaches go.

That may cast Eade in a not-so-accurate light.

And something else to note: Darcy only has Terry Wallace and Peter Rhode to compare Eade to, as far as experience with senior coaches go.

That may cast Eade in a not-so-accurate light.

Excellent Point...Luke Darcy maybe speaking his Truth, what he saw.

It's my point about the Dogs, since '89 they have always had to worry about survival...however small that thought is, whilst the top clubs plan winning premierships.