Director of Football

With all this talk of a new coach, I wonder about the 'director of football' role.

I think we need someone, tough, experienced, that will do things in a no-nonsense way, and support the coach.

I would opt for a senior football director, and a developing coach (rather than the other way around!)

Suggestion: Leigh Matthews or Malthouse as football director, with Viney/Clarkson/Laidley as coach??

What do you think about the importance of this position and who would you want?

Rubbish. I don't think you understand the role.

It just needs to be someone that understands football well enough to be able to report to the board on the functioning of the Football Dept in conjunction with the admin, and then communicate with those departments on behalf of the board.

Otherwise the board aren't able to make informed decisions.

The board, in the absence of a football director, would have been scratching their heads, unsure whether it was the CEO, Football Manager or Head Coach that was at fault for the club being dysfunctional.

They'd have no idea where the problems were and where to appropriate the blame.

You don't need a Matthews or Malthouse to fill this role.

Although I'm sure they could capably fill the role, their skillset is quite different to what is needed.

They are probably well over-qualified for this position, and it'd be a waste of their talents, if anything.

It would potentially lead to meddling, as they'd feel like they could do more for the club, which is outside the requirements of the role.

The board, in the absence of a football director, would have been scratching their heads, unsure whether it was the CEO, Football Manager or Head Coach that was at fault for the club being dysfunctional.

They'd have no idea where the problems were and where to appropriate the blame.

<div><br></div><div>Or maybe they could of just pulled out that 80K report they recently commissioned and acted on that.

</div>

Edited by FC Melbourne

Guest Deefence

It would potentially lead to meddling, as they'd feel like they could do more for the club, which is outside the requirements of the role.

Like our current CEO is (was?) doing....

You need a strong person who can separate the footy from the business.

I think we are suffering from a lack of definition over roles.

Starting from the top down:

Board (w/President and VP and Football Director - which was Leoncelli up until 2011)

Football Department (w/ General Mananger, List Manager, Coach, Ass. Coaches, etc.)

Two seperate 'silos' if you will (or they should be), with the Football Director the proxy FOR the board to gather appropriate information for the board to judge those who make decisions.

I believe the OP is talking about what Parkin did at Hawthorn for a couple years as a senior overseer of a younger coach in the FD.

It was a massive failure FYI.

Like our current CEO is (was?) doing....

You need a strong person who can separate the footy from the business.

Yes, but the presence of a Director of Football should monitor this, and pull Schwab up when he oversteps the mark.

The board are Schwab's boss. If we had an effective Director of Football we would have likely avoided or mitigated any problems.

Rumours say that Schwab overstepped the mark, but that remains to be seen.

It's entirely possible that some in the football dept were of that view, but were not necessarily correct.

The Director of Football should be able to determine if this is the case or not.

The board may have sided with Schwab that he was making perfectly reasonable decisions and requests, despite their impact on the football dept.

You need a strong person in the role of Director of Football who ensures football and business operate separately, but as a unit.

They must complement rather than compromise one another.

Blame falls on the board for allowing Stynes to assume this role when it appears he couldn't devote the necessary time & energy to performing it sufficiently. It's a special set of circumstances, but in the end it was the wrong decision.

They made a mistake - the onus is now on them to not compound it by making more mistakes.

Or maybe they could of just pulled out that 80K report they recently commissioned and acted on that.

Without having seen it, or having any knowledge of its content, I don't think any of us are informed enough to comment on the Ray Andrews report.

For all we know, the results of the report could have shown that the coach was the problem, and any recommendations on the admin have been taken on board and acted upon.

I would think the director of football would need to 'direct' the football department and be responsible to the board (or the CEO, depending on the structure). I would want someone who knew footy enough to support and protect the football department turf, and at the same time be biz-savvy enough to represent it to the business side of the organisation.

I have not seen any other 'suggestions' of what type of person we should have in this role. Given that the chances of getting a strong, experienced coach look slim, how do we strengthen the football dept director role with someone who can 'direct' and lead the coaches and the whole footy department?

If 'meddling' means "unwanted interference" the question is who didn't want it, the coach, or the board who may have directed it?? This is one we could only ever guess at from the outside....

The ideal person to assume the role of Football Director are Stephen Smith or Anthony Ingerson types whom know what football and business are about..

The ideal person to assume the role of Football Director are Stephen Smith or Anthony Ingerson types whom know what football and business are about..

Yes, I would be very surprised if, when Garry finishes up his consultancy, we do not have someone similar on the board as Football Director.

Yes, I would be very surprised if, when Garry finishes up his consultancy, we do not have someone similar on the board as Football Director.

A couple of others - Greg Healy - very successful businessman - or Stephen Newport - a lawyer ( I think) who also spent some time as Football Manager at the Bulldogs ) :P

Yes, but the presence of a Director of Football should monitor this, and pull Schwab up when he oversteps the mark.

The board are Schwab's boss. If we had an effective Director of Football we would have likely avoided or mitigated any problems.

Rumours say that Schwab overstepped the mark, but that remains to be seen.

It's entirely possible that some in the football dept were of that view, but were not necessarily correct.

The Director of Football should be able to determine if this is the case or not.

The board may have sided with Schwab that he was making perfectly reasonable decisions and requests, despite their impact on the football dept.

You need a strong person in the role of Director of Football who ensures football and business operate separately, but as a unit.

They must complement rather than compromise one another.

Blame falls on the board for allowing Stynes to assume this role when it appears he couldn't devote the necessary time & energy to performing it sufficiently. It's a special set of circumstances, but in the end it was the wrong decision.

They made a mistake - the onus is now on them to not compound it by making more mistakes.

You have my vote

Without having seen it, or having any knowledge of its content, I don't think any of us are informed enough to comment on the Ray Andrews report.

For all we know, the results of the report could have shown that the coach was the problem, and any recommendations on the admin have been taken on board and acted upon.

If you recall at the time when Schwab was quoted in the Australian, he alluded to the football department and it's performance re: development. On speaking with regards to the review. Which led to further reports of criticism of Bailey.

First thing I would like to know is where did we get all this money from that could allow us to sign Malthouse up as Football Director and Clarkson as Head Coach?

Forget that - why on earth would Malthouse want to come to us to be Director of Football anyway?

The whole idea of him leaving Collingwood and coming to MFC is based on the premise that he still wants to be a head coach in the AFL.