Casey Scorpions v Sandringham

KC from Casey

Why the hell were my posts deleted?

If you don't think Morton is a great kick, don't say 'he's a great kick but doesn't attack the footy'.

Truth is a subjective concept- we have the talent, but not the experience. Make no mistake, this is the list that will take this club forward. Ergo, we have the cattle - we simply don't have the experience or maturity.

Are you absolving Bailey of any responsibility in the inconsistency of the team for the duration of this season?

You do not make one point that I agree with. I'm interested to see what other posters think of your comments too. That is, unless this post is also deleted...

I love your passion and we do have some talent but not enough considering then number of early draft picks we have had. We really do lack a strong core of senior players to show the kids the way.

We lost an A grader in Scott Thompsom in 2004 for a C grade selection of Bate. Daniel Bell never made it, Nick Smith had one awful game and was gone. Dunn at pick 15 is a C grader. McLean is gone, Sylvia is a non-imposing B grader, Simon Buckley might be a premiership player, Morton and Maric are treading water, Davey is coasting and nearly past his best. Wona is only here because his mother told him to come back and earn some money for the clan.

It's an early call but I don't see Blease, Strauss, Bennell and Jetta setting the world on fire. There were so many great picks in 2008 such as Shuey, Hannebury, Redden, Rockliff and many more that we could have got. We do have some good young kids but not enough.

As can be seen we got it so wrong between 2001 and 2008 compare to other clubs. Just 2 or 3 elite or A graders from that group would have made all the difference. That I believe is the reason we are were we are. Recruitment and player development are keys to success.

Edited by Whispering_Jack

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really not possible that everyone who wants to [censored] about the drafting do so on a "recruitment" thread somewhere hereabouts, instead of hijacking every (other) discussion.

I had thought that the Casey reports thread might have remained exempt - but clearly too much to ask it seems.

Is it really not possible that everyone who wants to [censored] about the drafting do so on a "recruitment" thread somewhere hereabouts, instead of hijacking every (other) discussion.

I had thought that the Casey reports thread might have remained exempt - but clearly too much to ask it seems.

DITTO....

....send the Peanuts to the Peanut Gallery where they can entertain the monkeys.

I love your passion and we do have some talent but not enough considering then number of early draft picks we have had. We really do lack a strong core of senior players to show the kids the way.

We lost an A grader in Scott Thompsom in 2004 for a C grade selection of Bate. Daniel Bell never made it, Nick Smith had one awful game and was gone. Dunn at pick 15 is a C grader. McLean is gone, Sylvia is a non-imposing B grader, Simon Buckley might be a premiership player, Morton and Maric are treading water, Davey is coasting and nearly past his best. Wona is only here because his mother told him to come back and earn some money for the clan.

It's an early call but I don't see Blease, Strauss, Bennell and Jetta setting the world on fire. There were so many great picks in 2008 such as Shuey, Hannebury, Redden, Rockliff and many more that we could have got. We do have some good young kids but not enough.

As can be seen we got it so wrong between 2001 and 2008 compare to other clubs. Just 2 or 3 elite or A graders from that group would have made all the difference. That I believe is the reason we are were we are. Recruitment and player development are keys to success.

Theo, you better Edit your post because we got Beamer for Thompson in the Ottens trade.

Many of those boys were left undeveloped & unfulfilled.

Since 2008 we've dunn well.

Edited by dee-luded

I was at the game admittedly looking after my kid, but I thought Jack Fitzpatrick was superb. He battled really well against Gardiner (did not look out of his depth), his field kicking was very good and his attack at the ball also good. Im surprised he was not listed in the best. From the game he played, I was thinking he'd be a chance against the eagles.

Kelvin Lawrence too looked really good, had excellent defensive pressure but was also dangerous in the forward line. Probably needs a few more weeks like this before he could be considered.

Sylvia didnt do much in the first half but worked he way into it in the 2nd.

Probably not much else to get excited about, Morton was ok, I didnt see Blease get 27 touches, he is very much an outside player and reminds me a lot of Simon Buckley when he used to play for Sandi and eventually Casey, gets well away from the contest and gets his kick from the switch of play, or what some would say the easy kick, unfortunately I dont think Blease (nor did I think Buckley), at this stage has the foot skills and decision making to be damaging, but I hold great hope for Blease, I'm just not seeing at the moment.

Jurrah wasnt good yet wasnt bad. He has elite skills and decision making, just doesnt get near the contest enough and doesnt impact a game the way he should. Has the potential to be as good as Micky O, but needs to harden up, bulk up and get some contested football.

To be honest though I was only watching snippets so may have missed parts of the game and I missed the first quarter.

Guys did Bennell play?

If he did play it does not look like he had much of a game.

I am worried about this guy he seems to have lost all form and confidence.

Is he on the way out?

Also does anyone know why Wona did play in either team?

Have a read of that post and apart from seeing it as some sort of "Motherhood statement", exactly what were you on about?

I have an opinion of Cook and I have an opinion on several others we have selected and "it gives me no joy" when I see them fail. I want desperately for this club to succeed, and like you I've put my money where my mouth is, but that doesn't mean I won't criticise them when they are, imo, going in the wrong direction. I see the older Dees supporters like you and me as being the biggest part of the problem at the club because for too long we just blindly followed them and never questioned them, well i am now and if you don't then that's you prerogative.

I've asked questions and i made complaints like, why don't they follow up with the supporters that have contributed to see if they are happy with the club's direction. I get regular calls from Terri Stynes asking me about functions and actually giving a damn if I am interested and still exist.

If you're happy to sit in the background and blindly follow without so much as a whimper then good luck to you but I'm not.

If you want the club to ask your opinion then become a foundation hero, $5000 gets you a gig. Anything less than than puts you in the other 35000 members. If you can afford more than a few thousand you wouldn't bother sqwarking on this forum. There are real forums that have a real impact. The emotional rubbish that is so often served up on here has therapeutic value, but certainly not a pool of wisdom. I'm hear because I can only afford a few hundred but so be it. I go to every Vic based game if possible and enjoy having a team. Accept your low status or burn yourself up inside.

If you want the club to ask your opinion then become a foundation hero, $5000 gets you a gig. Anything less than than puts you in the other 35000 members. If you can afford more than a few thousand you wouldn't bother sqwarking on this forum. There are real forums that have a real impact. The emotional rubbish that is so often served up on here has therapeutic value, but certainly not a pool of wisdom. I'm hear because I can only afford a few hundred but so be it. I go to every Vic based game if possible and enjoy having a team. Accept your low status or burn yourself up inside.

Gold! :)

Guys did Bennell play?

If he did play it does not look like he had much of a game.

I am worried about this guy he seems to have lost all form and confidence.

Is he on the way out?

Also does anyone know why Wona did play in either team?

Bennell possibly the worst on ground.

Bennell possibly the worst on ground.

thanks mate I have not been a big fan

However his fall from grace has been amazing.

He has the ability to do well at VFL level and should be doing just that.

What the hell is going on with him?

I mainly agree with that. But that's not to say that the FD will overlook a game where they don't get near the ball. It's a combination.

For a similar reason I don't think Morton is going to get a recall on the back of a high possession game (especially if the majority of those possessions were uncontested). He needs to be doing a bit more than just getting the ball (for example, not turning it over, tackling, chasing, going when it's his turn to go etc.).

Sounds like Tom McDonald had another good game. Looking forward to his debut, whether it's in 2011 or 2012.

I wonder if Warnock will get a game this week given we have West Coast and they have Kennedy, Lynch, Darling and LeCras, and Frawley usually takes LeCras. Warnock might be needed to stand Lynch. I'm not necessarily in favour of that, but Rivers was beaten too easily one-on-one by Kreuzer.

Haha Rhino didn't like that one bit!

You're right that it's a combination, and I went a bit too far one way.

I think it was important for Jurrah and Sylvia to both show they can get the balance right and run both ways, as well as the hard things and putting their heads over the ball.

Winning a lot of possession won't have been a priority, but I do concede having not won a lot of the footy also won't help them get back in.

As I said - they need to show they can achieve a balance between getting the footy and being accountable - running both ways.

I was at the game today.

I'm surprise that youami thought that Morton was 'OK' because, from where I was, he was clearly BOG. He played the majority of the game in the guts and it would not surprise me if he had 10 clearances. Won a lot of contested possession, tackled and used the ball very well. It's first game where I would think he's played a complete midfielder's game. I hope he plays AFL next week and they start him in the centre square rather than on a wing/flank.

Blease also played one of the best games I've seen him play. Played on a wing and worked harder than I've seen him work before. The best thing is that he didn't just sit out the back waiting to be fed the ball, but instead he was throwing himself on the ball, getting physical and doing the defensive work (including chasing). I think that game could be a real step forward for him.

Kel Lawrence was another shining light. Played forward and was excellent. He had the manic chasing and tackling that you see from AFL small forwards. Played at super intensity. Also won contested ball and used it well (aside from one errant shot on goal). Plus his pace is really, really exciting. Played an AFL brand of footy today so, if he can do it consistently, then he could well find himself as an AFL player.

Warnock was Warnock. Very good. I really liked the work of McDonald and Davis in defence. Davis is powerful and fast, and was really clean. McDonald read the ball really well and just isn't beaten overhead. Kicked a beautiful goal running down the corridor. Is tracking way ahead of where he should be, and will be a monster when he adds weight.

Fitzpatrick was very good in his first game in the seniors since injury. Really mobile for 200+cm and his kicking is improving out of sight. Took some good marks and was competitive in the ruck against Gardiner. Tracking nicely and a player that excites me.

As for the others, Jetta was very good as a midfield/forward, Jurrah was good without starring, Maric OK, Bennell in and out, Campbell strong in the ruck against Gardiner, McNamara solid and Sylvia was OK without doing too much. The problem I have with Sylvia is that he is either all or nothing within a game. When the ball is next to him, or coming to him, he is ferocious - but when it's in transition or moving away from a stoppage, he meanders. I don't think he tries to, but I think he loses concentration when winning the ball isn't immediately possible.

Overall, the first 3 quarters (first half especially) by Casey was a teriffic brand of footy. It was the most contested game I've seen Casey or the Dees play for ages. We had all players (even those maligned players) putting their head over the footy and winning it. The game opened up late and gave Sandy some respectability, but the scoreboard flattered them. The first half they didn't look like scoring and the game was played in Casey's half. Morton, Blease and Lawrence were most exciting, and Morton's ability to win contested possessions and clearances in the middle was fantastic to watch. Watching that game reminded me exactly how talented he is, and I hope he replicates it next week.

I turned up unhappy after a tough week, but I left in a much, much better mood.

I was at the game today.

I'm surprise that youami thought that Morton was 'OK' because, from where I was, he was clearly BOG. He played the majority of the game in the guts and it would not surprise me if he had 10 clearances. Won a lot of contested possession, tackled and used the ball very well. It's first game where I would think he's played a complete midfielder's game. I hope he plays AFL next week and they start him in the centre square rather than on a wing/flank.

Blease also played one of the best games I've seen him play. Played on a wing and worked harder than I've seen him work before. The best thing is that he didn't just sit out the back waiting to be fed the ball, but instead he was throwing himself on the ball, getting physical and doing the defensive work (including chasing). I think that game could be a real step forward for him.

Kel Lawrence was another shining light. Played forward and was excellent. He had the manic chasing and tackling that you see from AFL small forwards. Played at super intensity. Also won contested ball and used it well (aside from one errant shot on goal). Plus his pace is really, really exciting. Played an AFL brand of footy today so, if he can do it consistently, then he could well find himself as an AFL player.

Warnock was Warnock. Very good. I really liked the work of McDonald and Davis in defence. Davis is powerful and fast, and was really clean. McDonald read the ball really well and just isn't beaten overhead. Kicked a beautiful goal running down the corridor. Is tracking way ahead of where he should be, and will be a monster when he adds weight.

Fitzpatrick was very good in his first game in the seniors since injury. Really mobile for 200+cm and his kicking is improving out of sight. Took some good marks and was competitive in the ruck against Gardiner. Tracking nicely and a player that excites me.

As for the others, Jetta was very good as a midfield/forward, Jurrah was good without starring, Maric OK, Bennell in and out, Campbell strong in the ruck against Gardiner, McNamara solid and Sylvia was OK without doing too much. The problem I have with Sylvia is that he is either all or nothing within a game. When the ball is next to him, or coming to him, he is ferocious - but when it's in transition or moving away from a stoppage, he meanders. I don't think he tries to, but I think he loses concentration when winning the ball isn't immediately possible.

Overall, the first 3 quarters (first half especially) by Casey was a teriffic brand of footy. It was the most contested game I've seen Casey or the Dees play for ages. We had all players (even those maligned players) putting their head over the footy and winning it. The game opened up late and gave Sandy some respectability, but the scoreboard flattered them. The first half they didn't look like scoring and the game was played in Casey's half. Morton, Blease and Lawrence were most exciting, and Morton's ability to win contested possessions and clearances in the middle was fantastic to watch. Watching that game reminded me exactly how talented he is, and I hope he replicates it next week.

Thanks AoB.

who would you promote for next weeks game?

Brilliant, thanks for the report.

Morton has heaps of talent and a lot to give, and I just hope that a new coach and possibly a more tightly defined role will bring out the best of him.

With the season all but done, we should bring back Blease for a full match (good replacement for poor Strauss) and maybe blood Tom McDonland who has worked really hard and had a very consistent season with Casey.

The only one who couldn't be denied promotion was Morton. He should be an inclusion.

Aside from that, it depends on what the coaches were wanting from the players. I think they would have seen a lot (in terms of game style) to be happy with today. I would keep Blease at Casey, reinforce my happiness with his game style today, and make him play another before promoting him. But I could understand if he was promoted based on that game. With Strauss down, we need another defender. Given West Coast's tall forward line, I'd be inclined to replace him with McDonald or Davis. If not, you'd have to look at Nicholson, who was solid enough today. If Jamar's right then Gawn comes out. Sylvia and Jurrah's return would be based on what instructions they were given by the coaches before the game. Lawrence needs more games like the one he produced before he can be considered.

Edited by Axis of Bob

The only one who couldn't be denied promotion was Morton. He should be an inclusion.

Aside from that, it depends on what the coaches were wanting from the players. I think they would have seen a lot (in terms of game style) to be happy with today. I would keep Blease at Casey, reinforce my happiness with his game style today, and make him play another before promoting him. But I could understand if he was promoted based on that game. With Strauss down, we need another defender. Given West Coast's tall forward line, I'd be inclined to replace him with McDonald or Davis. If not, you'd have to look at Nicholson, who was solid enough today. If Jamar's right then Gawn comes out. Sylvia and Jurrah's return would be based on what instructions they were given by the coaches before the game. Lawrence needs more games like the one he produced before he can be considered.

Great round up AOB.

Absolutely, I think we need to have one more really big crack at a win against a decent side (and possibly a push for a top 8 spot :rolleyes: ), and then spend the last three games blooding some more kids.

If we are serious about winning at all costs next week then Morton, Sylvia and Jurrah will come in and I think so will Warnock (perfect match up for Lynch).

If we have written off the season then I think Blease, McDonald and maybe even Fitzpatrick may come in.

It's taken us a long time to find someone to perform Strauss' role, and we don't have a real natural replacement for him in the wings, but this is the perfect time to either give Blease that role (I don't think he's defensive enough), or give Davis the role. Whoever it is, I just hope it's not Morton, because as your match report says, he is a midfielder and he needs to play in the midfield. His confidence has been shot to sh*t with all the positional changes he's had in his time at Melbourne.

I was at the game today.

Thanks for that AoB was going to go today but the Leader of the Opposition thought yesterday was enough. So did I on reflection.

Morton news good as he's copped plenty.

If you have seen the Foundation heroes book you will see my name in it, if you would like me to email you the page I will. I've donated more than that each year since they started the debt Demolition, but thanks for your advice anyway.

Back to the thread

Haven't seen Casey this year

- is Tom McNamara likely to make it? Looked very promising in his few games a couple of years back, and has been played, I believe, as a all mid this year.

- is Tom McDonald likely to get a run this year, and if so as a forward or a defender?

- did Morton do anything 'hard' at this level?

- no mention of Fitzpatrick.

- is Blease the natural replacement for Strauss ?

Edited by monoccular

Back to the thread

Haven't seen Casey this year

- is Tom McNamara likely to make it? Looked very promising in his few games a couple of years back, and has been played, I believe, as a all mid this year.

- is Tom McDonald likely to get a run this year, and if so as a forward or a defender?

- did Morton do anything 'hard' at this level?

- no mention of Fitzpatrick.

- is Blease the natural replacement for Strauss ?

Read Axis of Bob's posts on this very page and all these questions are answered.