• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sylvia gone too ??

GIRO

Why? Just becuase he gets dropped means that he should look for another club? If that's his attitude, we don't want him at our Club.

I think we should try and keep Col, but he seriously needs to think about what his asking price is. Where we need to be careful is making sure that we treat him with due respect (providing he does the same to us). For example, if he is asking for $500k, and we only offer $300k, then he cracks it and leaves, I'd hate to think that he goes to another club and signs for $300k. I think Cam Bruce's situation was very similar (ie same money, just more potential of a 2nd year at Hawks).

unlike Scully he probably is truly working out what to do at season end..... our approach.... isolate him as the only senior player dropped after last weeks debacle.How is this treating him with respect

this is nothing like Bruce.....he is 25 yo and has genuine talent which has been demonstrated despite our completely sh*t game plan and lack of desire to win while we rebuild. FFS he is a quality player who sounds like he is at least giving us the opportunity to convince him that his career will be well served by staying (and that is considering $, likely success and club environment).

If we want to try to keep Col, forget about telling HIM to seriously think about HIS asking price, How would you respond if he walked in your door tomorrow and asked why he should stay at MFC? Do it for Jimmy?

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Colin is about to join a small select club at Melbourne.. That being players whos greater worth is that which can be garnered in trade for other players.

I'd prefer Sylvia to stay, but if we could somehow use him to land O'Meara I'd comfortably live with the loss.

Yes, I realise that you need developed talent to succeeed in this competition, but O'Meara is a draft pick one quality player and Sylvia is a headcase.

I also realise that we can't keep on rebuilding, but I also acknowledge that that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to get elite talent on the list, especially if circumstances present such an opportunity.

This, ^ is the only reason I would be capable of excepting for our losing Sylv. The guy has been steadily improving for 3 straight Years, & while I acknowledge he still has some way to go improving, he's one of our better players.

If he wants to go the GWS for a handsome salary, I say, only if it gets us 'The Gun Pick',, this Year, or the Best U -17yr old.

I think Colin is about to join a small select club at Melbourne.. That being players whos greater worth is that which can be garnered in trade for other players.

I think he might be in a much bigger club.... blokes who aren't sure anymore about the plan or in fact whether the MFC will do the right thing by them.

As a club we bitched and moaned about Scully putting off telling us he is leaving until the end of the year " he should commit now blah blah blah"..... in in the next breath Sylvia is a dog for wanting to clarify his position. Our history of shafting senior players doesnt help

If Garry and Todd don't staunch the bleeding (and they are the right guys to do it)we could end up with a less experienced list than GWS.

Edited by Retrospective

I think he might be in a much bigger club.... blokes who aren't sure anymore about the plan or in fact whether the MFC will do the right thing by them.

As a club we bitched and moaned about Scully putting off telling us he is leaving until the end of the year " he should commit now blah blah blah"..... in in the next breath Sylvia is a dog for wanting to clarify his position. Our history of shafting senior players doesnt help

If Garry and Todd don't staunch the bleeding (and they are the right guys to do it)we could end up with a less experienced list than GWS.

You might be on the right track....but its the route to derailment !! To omany guys caring more about what their pay packet is as opposed to earning the money in the first place. Ive worked with these types and even employed in the past. I got rid of them as soon as I could as they are a cancer .

We ought to too !!

I'd prefer Sylvia to stay, but if we could somehow use him to land O'Meara I'd comfortably live with the loss.

Yes, I realise that you need developed talent to succeeed in this competition, but O'Meara is a draft pick one quality player and Sylvia is a headcase.

I also realise that we can't keep on rebuilding, but I also acknowledge that that doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive to get elite talent on the list, especially if circumstances present such an opportunity.

I agree completely with this.

Not necessarily O'Meara, as I don't know enough about him, but elite talent in general.

And those saying they want Scully to go, don't take it for granted that we will get 2 x 1st round draft picks for him.

Wed hope so, but you can never trust the AFL in these matters.

Especially when the "tanking" media train starts to build up steam right before compensation is announced.

repeat after me...TANKING DOES NOT EXIST !! Official AFL position. Therefore it cant act upon something it doesnt recognise. It cant.. too many ramifications. If Melbourne is attacked then we wil highlight the dubious claims of other clubs in this regard.

The AFL was happy to allow Melbourne to get its picks as it was a nurturing farm for young talent ,some of which it ( AFL ) wanted to on-move to its pet project.

Guest dieharderdee

Colin Sylvia wasnt droped becuase of poor form he as droped becuase he doenst give a flying and was out Satarday nigh after the game. Fair call in my book

Colin Sylvia wasnt droped becuase of poor form he as droped becuase he doenst give a flying and was out Satarday nigh after the game. Fair call in my book

this....^^^

There were some other players out on the [censored] on Saturday night and they seem to be playing.

I'm sure that was a key reason but he was also virtually unsighted against Hawthorn and Geelong. Not good enough on both counts.

The terms 'flatters to deceive' was invented for sportsmen like Sylvia.

To my mind his bad habits are now too far gone to break and we would do well to trade him and get something of genuine value while we can.

Edited by Range Rover

keep in mind Todd would have looking very carefully at how the lads reacted and presented at training.. There's no flies on Todd..and Sylvia would be a fool to try to slide anything past him.

Sylvia is a key player for our future

Sylvia:

119 games

avg disposals: 16.6,

avg goals: 0.8

Tackles: 3.2

Marks: 4.9

Dale Thomas:

126 games,

avg disposals: 18.6,

avg goals: 0.8

Tackles: 2.8

Marks: 5.8

Sylvia in a side which has lost 63% of its matches and Thomas in a side that has won 66%.

It could be argued (and probably will be in the contract negotiatons) that Sylvia is wasting his career on a losing proposition....so why does he stay? because he believes (or believed ) in the plan.

If there is anyone providing leadership at the club, show him the plan........FFS......show all of the talent that we've accumulated that having signed them we actually have some idea of what to do next

And show the rest of us while your at it

On basic stats, you have some weight in what you say but the other variables Thomas brings to the game is the obvious difference. I still doubt that Sylvia has the X factor like Daisy. Apart from a super long bomb goal from Sylvia, my eyebrows have rarely been raised compared to watching Daisy work his magic.

I doubt Daisy would struggle at the Dee's? It's players exactly like him we lack... Although, he is young and skinny I believe. :rolleyes:

Look at how Daisy goes about his craft.... Look at Col....Chalk and chesse.....unfortuntately...Ought Sylvia get off his arse for 4 qtrs.. hed be a very potent player. He doesnt..he isnt.

unlike Scully he probably is truly working out what to do at season end..... our approach.... isolate him as the only senior player dropped after last weeks debacle.How is this treating him with respect

this is nothing like Bruce.....he is 25 yo and has genuine talent which has been demonstrated despite our completely sh*t game plan and lack of desire to win while we rebuild. FFS he is a quality player who sounds like he is at least giving us the opportunity to convince him that his career will be well served by staying (and that is considering $, likely success and club environment).

If we want to try to keep Col, forget about telling HIM to seriously think about HIS asking price, How would you respond if he walked in your door tomorrow and asked why he should stay at MFC? Do it for Jimmy?

Retro - the comparison with Bruce is in regards to losing a senior player who signs with another Club for little or no pay difference on what we offered.

As far as team selections this week, what's your alternative? Drop Green, Moloney and Rivers as well? Sylvia's form over the past 4-6 weeks has probably warranted an omission, sure he's not on his own, but I think it's a pretty good statement to the rest of the team. Especially when you add Jurrah in there - to me its's a message of you can't get a game just on what you can bring to the team, it's about what you DO bring to the team.

I think we are appreciative of his opportunity in convincing him that he is a wanted footballer. We are offering him what we consider a reasonable price, but he doesn't accept it. Who's fault is that? Do you think the Club would purposely offer him a figure below what his true value is worth? Maybe Col rates himself a bit too high. I'm pretty sure other Clubs (except GWS/GC) wont be offering over the odds for him, and that is my point above about him leaving us to go to a different Club for a deal that isn't much different to ours (ie taking what he can get after he leaves).

If he walked through my door I would say that obviously he is a required player at the MFC, and we see him having a major role to play in the development of our team. We also would like to think that he will be part of a premiership team wearing the red and blue. However, while we want to be able to give our players the best contracts we can, his contract, just like everyone elses, will have some attractive performance based clauses with the potential to earn him $$$ that probably wouldn't be matched. Rather than saying "here's $500k a year, just do your best and we'll hope the results will come", I'd rather say "here's $350k, plus if you can do this, this and this (B&F position, etc, etc), you can reach your desired $500k".

It's quite sad actually, 2 months ago if Col walked through my door I'd probably hump his leg. How things change!

It's not players we lack..... it's a plan. Do you really believe Thomas would be at the level he is now if he was at MFC?

The problem with some is they believe the MFC owe them a living . It's doesn't. Every player owes it to themselves to be their best and if so that in itself will over the journey provide honest reward .

Guest hangon007

If he wants to go the GWS for a handsome salary, I say, only if it gets us 'The Gun Pick',, this Year, or the Best U -17yr old.

But thats not in our control ... once he is gone ... you/we are in no position to make demands. You will get what you/we are given.

Whatever, that buys you/us ... is your/our problem. Your problem to develop "the pick" into a "Gun Pick".

However, if you cant develop a Number 1 draft pick called Tom Scully into a gun ... I cant see much hope for you/us with any other picks.

Please learn the rules ... please understand the "real" situation.

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

The problem with some is they believe the MFC owe them a living . It's doesn't. Every player owes it to themselves to be their best and if so that in itself will over the journey provide honest reward .

With ALL due respect this is so yesterday ... kids dont THINK like that today ... sorry its 2011.