Tom Scully

No. Your View.

Nup. Many others share my view.

I'm saying it on 'Land despite warnings not to. Because I feel passionately about it.

Ask 20 random Melbourne fans at the G on Sunday and see what they think.

It's time we stopped kowtowing to one player and his scumbag manager.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose a great difference in all this ,in respect of Flower comparisons is that this skinngy gawky kid wanted to play for Melbourne. It was his passion to play for Melbourne and he did so magnificently and honourably. Scully wants to play footyand is dedicated to it. But i dont think theres any burgeoning loyalty ( as yet ) to anyone in that regard. He's been conscripted. By its very nature the path to football for the kids is a mercenary one so I dont necessarily hold that quality against Scully in thi smatter. I dont discount its value in all this either. I wouldnt have this meant as a slight but id think many would be indifferent to where they play. Some might carry the old thinking through but dont count on it. I think only once you become totally immersed into an environment might you take on its culture and history. I sense Tom hasnt to date for the very notion that hes been advised not to. Probably wisely in a way as he was always likely to be targeted especially given the AFL's predisposition to condone it.

Flower epitomises another era ( unfortunately ) Scully could be the face of the new one

No. Your View.

There's a very simple way for Tom to end this saga, and that is to signal his intent. To say that he just wants to concentrate on football is rubbish - there is no way in the world that this isn't causing him distraction. Cameron Schwab even said Scully had asked him "why won't people just take my word?". It's quite simple really. No one at Melbourne's end is forcing him to delay his decision.

Guest Thomo

I understand your view Thomo. We often drove miles to go to Robbie's shop just to talk to him and ask for an autograph. So I'm well aware of the work he had to do outside of football to set himself up for life later on. But humour me for a minute as I transcribe a section from page 110 of his autobiography titled Robbie, published in November 1987. It shows just what he turned down at the time which would have been huge.

He said: "A rival club once offered to pay off the mortgage on the new house I had just bought - all I had to do of course was sign to play with them. The deal would have been worth $60,000 there and then - and it did not include a playing contract. That would have been extra. This happened eight years ago, when I had not been married long. It was an enormous amount of money then and very tempting. But I said no. For one thing it would have meant selling my loyalty, and I was never able to bring myself to do that, even though there were plenty of chances over the years to cash in on my ability."

That says it all really. In later years G.Lyon, J.Stynes and T.Viney did the same thing.

I remember as a kid we couldn't afford a good footy from a sport shop, so Mum bought two cheap footys from K-Mart, one for Dads birthday and one for my brother and I to share. We then took them to Robbies shop and asked him to sign them. Not only did he sign them, he spent half an hour talking to us and said to come back with our jumpers to sign. Amazing bloke.

Back on topic, the point that I was making is back in that era footballers didn't need football to set them up, now they do. Robbie had other avenues that were going to pay the bills, and being a part time athlete allowed him to build his business empire. Today’s footballers struggle to have that same ability with the professionalism that is required. Clubs these days make decisions without emotion, so players should be able to do the same.

No disrespect to Robbie, I admired what he gave up and am not discounting the sacrifices he made for the club. I just don't think that you can hold today’s players to the same standard.

even better.ask 50 random footy supporters !!

Some interesting views by those with no vested interest in any partiicular outcome.

Guest 36DD

I have never been brave enough to pop over and have a look at the Collingwood Footy forums, I wonder if they are having the same discussions about Dale Thomas at the moment?

Same situation as Scully, out of contract at end of the year, not yet signed, no doubt attractive to GWS...or is that the media are playing on our insecurities?

Yes us greedy supporters who donate hundreds per year to follow their club. How dare they question teenage millionaires. PS I actually don't think this saga is bothering the playing group at all, this is the culture live and work in. Based on the last two games maybe the same can't be said for TS.

Speaking as one such supporter/member, I happen to believe that to this point in time, Scully has absolutely NOTHING to answer for - that will only be the case if it is ever revealed that he had already signed and lied to the club and supporters; until such a time, I remain one of those old fashioned people who believe in a person being innocent until proven guilty.

I'm getting tired of some posters continuing to nauseatingly argue the interests of an individual over that of our beloved club as if its OK. If Tom belonged to a 1%er biker club they will have burned his tats off with a blowtorch by now. I don't have any feelings towards him either way. He is not one of us anymore.

+2

god..who could afford a Sherrin as a kid..lol

LyrebIrd if you were lucky.. A Ross Faulkner if all your Christmasses came at once. Many a placky ball in the school yard. Maybe some of todays ought to train with a placky...if you can kick those straight you can kick anything straight !! lol

sorry I digress

( bit of light relief ) :)

Guest Thomo

I suppose a great difference in all this ,in respect of Flower comparisons is that this skinngy gawky kid wanted to play for Melbourne. It was his passion to play for Melbourne and he did so magnificently and honourably. Scully wants to play footyand is dedicated to it. But i dont think theres any burgeoning loyalty ( as yet ) to anyone in that regard. He's been conscripted. By its very nature the path to football for the kids is a mercenary one so I dont necessarily hold that quality against Scully in thi smatter. I dont discount its value in all this either. I wouldnt have this meant as a slight but id think many would be indifferent to where they play. Some might carry the old thinking through but dont count on it. I think only once you become totally immersed into an environment might you take on its culture and history. I sense Tom hasnt to date for the very notion that hes been advised not to. Probably wisely in a way as he was always likely to be targeted especially given the AFL's predisposition to condone it.

Flower epitomises another era ( unfortunately ) Scully could be the face of the new one

Good point. With the draft these days I think young players aspire to play AFL, rather than to play for a team, as they know that they have no control of their direction. I remember Jack Watts stated pre draft that did not support a team.

Ricky Nixon also ran one of these businesses as well, does it matter??

Do you really think Tom's Fingers will be broken or disfigured if he does not sign with whom Velocity want him to sign with??

You are reading to deep IMO Strawbs.

Not really. Just that they have changed their position on numerous occassions and it seems to have got lost in the wash.

There's a very simple way for Tom to end this saga, and that is to signal his intent. To say that he just wants to concentrate on football is rubbish - there is no way in the world that this isn't causing him distraction. Cameron Schwab even said Scully had asked him "why won't people just take my word?". It's quite simple really. No one at Melbourne's end is forcing him to delay his decision.

When does the current contract run out??

LyrebIrd if you were lucky.. A Ross Faulkner if all your Christmasses came at once. Many a placky ball in the school yard. Maybe some of todays ought to train with a placky...if you can kick those straight you can kick anything straight !! lol

sorry I digress

When I was a kid, the only placky balls were Bank of NSW money boxes with your team emblem stuck on them.

Guest Thomo

sorry I digress

Will end up being the most underated thing written in this thread. Quality post.

Guest hangon007

Speaking as one such supporter/member, I happen to believe that to this point in time, Scully has absolutely NOTHING to answer for - that will only be the case if it is ever revealed that he had already signed and lied to the club and supporters; until such a time, I remain one of those old fashioned people who believe in a person being innocent until proven guilty.

+1

I have never been brave enough to pop over and have a look at the Collingwood Footy forums, I wonder if they are having the same discussions about Dale Thomas at the moment?

Same situation as Scully, out of contract at end of the year, not yet signed, no doubt attractive to GWS...or is that the media are playing on our insecurities?

I live with a Collingwood forum.. lol ( whole of wifes bloody family are filth)and my best man..and a groomsman.. ( ffs) and you do actually get some interesting innsights as do I sare say it.. Many of them actually know their footy.

and ftr....they certainly dont tow anyones line.. Not Eddies..not Micks etc.. They certainly find teh Melb/Scully thing intriguing. They're filthy ( pi ) that the AFL's set this up as a possibility. ( and knowingly )

They do raise the interestin gpoint that at Geelong Abllett had given much and achieved the big prize of a Premiership (s) . Daisy has too. They take time to note its diiferent with Scully. Just passing that on.

Good point. With the draft these days I think young players aspire to play AFL, rather than to play for a team, as they know that they have no control of their direction. I remember Jack Watts stated pre draft that did not support a team.

I understand that, but there are plenty of young players in the competition that have displayed loyalty in the face of this situation. Dustin Martin, Matthew Kruezer, Jimmy Bartel, Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan just to name a few. Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett knocked the Gold Coast back. Although this is a new 'business-like' era, it doesn't mean some of the values and qualities that were prominent in days gone by such as loyalty and integrity, should be disregarded or cast aside as some form of weakness.

When does the current contract run out??

who's ? Scully,, Would be October ( dont all newby 2year contracts finish then ? ) . But nothing stops him signing a new one ( now) to supplant the exisitng as both parties would be agreaable.

They do raise the interestin gpoint that at Geelong Abllett had given much and achieved the big prize of a Premiership (s) . Daisy has too. They take time to note its diiferent with Scully. Just passing that on.

People have been saying that here since the whole Scully debate started and I think it's a very valid point. If Scully is the seriously dedicated footballer we are lead to believe he is, then I doubt he will leave the club with unfinished business... I get the feeling he will want to achieve the ultimate success with this club as it is pretty obvious that is going to be a long way off at GWS, even with the most optimistic of forecasts.

I understand that, but there are plenty of young players in the competition that have displayed loyalty in the face of this situation. Dustin Martin, Matthew Kruezer, Jimmy Bartel, Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan just to name a few. Lance Franklin, Kurt Tippett knocked the Gold Coast back. Although this is a new 'business-like' era, it doesn't mean some of the values and qualities that were prominent in days gone by such as loyalty and integrity, should be disregarded or cast aside as some form of weakness.

But you have to remember that since the introduction of the draft, the whole concept of loyalty went out of the window; that is something that can only be built up over time unless the draftee is fortunate enough to go to the club they have followed as a kid.

Furthermore, of the players you list, only Martin is of the same "vintage" as Scully - all of the others have been with their respective clubs for a long period of time and have had the chance to plant their roots firmly in the club culture (that is, have developed a sense of belonging and loyalty).

I thought we were going to move past the "lied to" meme?

I couldn't report a post that mentioned that, if a mod is reading this.

Talk about hypotheticals or updates, but can we stop accusing an MFC player of being a liar and not "being one of us?"

Page 10 of this thread is one of the saddest things I've read on Demonland. Demented ignorance feeding off demented ignorance. The silent majority need to be heard. If posters are going to be attacked for supposedly supporting an individual ahead of the club then Messrs Stynes, Bailey and Schwab are guilty of the same charge.

Page 10 of this thread is one of the saddest things I've read on Demonland. Demented ignorance feeding off demented ignorance. The silent majority need to be heard. If posters are going to be attacked for supposedly supporting an individual ahead of the club then Messrs Stynes, Bailey and Schwab are guilty of the same charge.

I have to agree.

It's not great.

Dig into him if he does go, but I have issues with this nonsense occurring while he is wearing that jumper.

I know there are concerns with him disrespecting that jumper - but that isn't proven, and that's the point.