The Tom Scully Saga

With Sylvia and Morton also out of contract its not the worse thing for the MFC to wait as well. THey need to work out each players worth and then look at other players from other clubs as well. No point putting all our cash to Scully then losing Sylvia and Morton and maybe missing out on a say Salopek or Pearce just to keep him. He is just a player in his second year. He will be an absolute gun but to me team before one player.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of his decision, a lot of people on this site will be eating their own words eventually.

I think TS has been very transparent and his position is that he will consider all offers at the end of the season. He is entitled to that.

There is a major difference between making a decision based on the biggest pot of money and making sure that you get the best financial outcome even though it means taking a lesser amount.

The only given is that we will not be able to compete financially dollar for dollar on a contract because of cap contraints.

There is talk on this board of getting TS a Judd/Visy like deal. I would assume that the wealthier benefactors at the club will have been or are being approached. If Tom's inclination as he has stated is to be a one club player, his management would be saying - the longer we leave this hopefully the more imaginative MFC will become in lining up sponsorships, ambassadorships etc so the gap between a GWS and MFC offer narrows. I am sure if Judd's management said to Pratt at negotiation time - increase the Visy deal by XXX and Judd is yours then there would have been no question as to what Pratt would have done. I am thinking ( hoping) that the MFC are having the same discussions behind the scenes now.

When TS signs ( hopefully) I am thinking we are going to see marketing deals and ambassadorships in place for him.

This could mean we see Scully on the the add with Jackie Chan???? haha that would be a laugh!

But we're not talking about a card game or an auction ... it's a long-term agreement that needs a win-win outcome.

Well, actually we are. There are three players at the table and two winning tickets.

Tom wins regardless. But what about the MFC?

Well, actually we are. There are three players at the table and two winning tickets.

The MFC won't win if they call Tom a liar...

Why not? Call someone's bluff early and you'll often find they'll fold.

I think you'll find that Tom's management know they are sitting on four aces.

Please please please please - never ever get involved in MFC contract negotiations if that is your negotiating tactic with a player in Tom Scully's unique position.

"I have been left with no other option but to leave for GWS - My management stated they wanted to wait until the seasons end to negotiate my contract which is not unfair or unreasonable and is in no different to about half a dozen of my team-mates. However, Range told me to accept the contract on offer now or leave - sooooo ta-ta"

:rolleyes:

(conversely, I have a fortnightly poker game that I would love you to sit in on)

And this is a surprise to you ? Where have you been for the last 30 years ?

Simple economics 101 - demand and supply.

Players in demand will get the largest share of the pie.

Bruce ? Green ? Davey - all on large contracts - highly in demand.

Remember Woey - got too much money when he negotiated but then we offloaded him when his value decreased.

What about Shane Valenti ? We offloaded him - wasnt thought good enough. We offered him zero contract.

Chris Judd - do you think that Carlton wanted to pay him what they are paying him - what about Kouta and his million dollar contracts when he could hardly move.

Tom wins ? is this REALLY a surprise ?

Who's calling Tom a liar?

Just because some posters think this matter can be handled in a better and more expeditious manner, doesn't mean they think Tom isn't telling the truth.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too...

You can't agree with Scwarta, think he has already signed, and then say that you don't think he is liar when he has expressly said that he has not signed anything and not, nor any of his reps, been in contact with GWS.

He has not signed or he is a liar.

Which do you believe?

I believe in Tom.

I think Tom Scully may have signed a Heads of Agreement at the worst. He did'nt seem as gung ho as others when singing the song after the win against Essendon. He looked shattered to me and out of place... Like he has made a mistake.

I do believe Tom wants too stay at Melbourne!

On the other hand, Sylvia and Morton!

Sylvia aint going anywhere... I have complete confidence in him staying. He has been open about past players leaving.

As for Morton, he is gone! I would be happy to see the back of him... Let's just hope we can get a decent pick for him.

Bate will be traded. He will ask for this. Possibly Maric too. I am hoping not!

Edited by jungle dee

Scully says

''There's been no approach (from GWS), absolutely not. All that stuff is external. I'll leave that to my management and the club (Melbourne) to sort out."

Bailey, Connolly etc have always publicly maintained that he will stay. Velocity sports and MarK Kleiman (his manager) also stated that they have not had discussions with GWS.

And despite making claims that Sheeds has already signed a "midfielder" he backpedals here stating that it would be stupid to sign anyone contradicting himself in the process. He also denies ever meeting Scully etc...

http://www.sportal.c...ly-talk-126359.

This to me has all the hallmarks of a contrived media sh*tstorm. See below.

http://www.dailytele...r-1225830252733

Either Scully and his manager are lying or someone in a position of power is pulling the strings of the media.

Who's calling Tom a liar?

Just because some posters think this matter can be handled in a better and more expeditious manner, doesn't mean they think Tom isn't telling the truth.

And the better and more expeditious manner is delivering an ultimatum ?????????

Can you please point out exactly what is your problem with the club negotiating to the timetable that has been set since last August ?

I think you'll find that Tom's management know they are sitting on four aces.

Please please please please - never ever get involved in MFC contract negotiations if that is your negotiating tactic with a player in Tom Scully's unique position.

"I have been left with no other option but to leave for GWS - My management stated they wanted to wait until the seasons end to negotiate my contract which is not unfair or unreasonable and is in no different to about half a dozen of my team-mates. However, Range told me to accept the contract on offer now or leave - sooooo ta-ta"

:rolleyes:

(conversely, I have a fortnightly poker game that I would love you to sit in on)

But are they sitting on four aces? I don't think so.

Playing in woop-woop in front of small crowds with little prospect of finals for five years translates as two-pair in my book. And not a very good two-pair at that.

"I've decided to reject the riches on offer at GWS for a fair and reasonable deal to stay at Melbourne for the next four years. My management advised me not to do this as they wanted a share of the spoils, but it

s clear Melbourne aren't going to budge much on their offer and this whole issue is proving a distraction to the club, myself and my teammates. I'm staying and I'm happy to put all of this nonsense about going to play footy in empty stadiums in GWS behind me". "Moreover, thanks Range Rover for your sage advice".

Ps. Happy to sit in on your poker game. Just make sure you don't try and bluff me :)

I think Tom Scully may have signed a Heads of Agreement at the worst. He did'nt seem as gung ho as others when singing the song after the win against Essendon. He looked shattered to me and out of place... Like he has made a mistake.

I do believe Tom wants too stay at Melbourne!

On the other hand, Sylvia and Morton!

Sylvia aint going anywhere... I have complete confidence in him staying. He has been open about past players leaving.

As for Morton, he is gone! I would be happy to see the back of him... Let's just hope we can get a decent pick for him.

Bate will be traded. He will ask for this. Possibly Maric too. I am hoping not!

Jungle, I did the same thing on the Friday night that we beat Essendon. I watch Scully's every move, and even to the point that when he lifted his left cheek to fart, thought that it was a very GWS thing to do, rather than the right cheek/MFC way. I also sat there and watched the song, but admittingly it was only footage on the MFC website. Not once did I see Tom Scully on camera.

So, unless you were in the rooms after it, can you please tell me at what point of the footage available can we see Scully not signing with the same Gung Ho as the others?

This to me has all the hallmarks of a contrived media sh*tstorm.

He's told them at least 3 times he hasn't signed anything but they ignore him .

My Oath its a media sh*tstorm .

But are they sitting on four aces? I don't think so.

Playing in woop-woop in front of small crowds with little prospect of finals for five years translates as two-pair in my book. And not a very good two-pair at that.

"I've decided to reject the riches on offer at GWS for a fair and reasonable deal to stay at Melbourne for the next four years. My management advised me not to do this as they wanted a share of the spoils, but it

s clear Melbourne aren't going to budge much on their offer and this whole issue is proving a distraction to the club, myself and my teammates. I'm staying and I'm happy to put all of this nonsense about going to play footy in empty stadiums in GWS behind me". "Moreover, thanks Range Rover for your sage advice".

Ps. Happy to sit in on your poker game. Just make sure you don't try and bluff me :)

Wow... just wow...

GC17 won a pot that contained Ablett, Richatelli, Brennan with the best two pair in history.

The only FACT is that GWS can pay a bucket load more money that any club can to tempt players.

And most importantly - if you think GWS have such a weak hand, why are you so pannicked about giving him an ultimatum to sign now ?

Jungle, I did the same thing on the Friday night that we beat Essendon. I watch Scully's every move, and even to the point that when he lifted his left cheek to fart, thought that it was a very GWS thing to do, rather than the right cheek/MFC way. I also sat there and watched the song, but admittingly it was only footage on the MFC website. Not once did I see Tom Scully on camera.

So, unless you were in the rooms after it, can you please tell me at what point of the footage available can we see Scully not signing with the same Gung Ho as the others?

It was vision from the televising station. 7 or 10!

It panned across him for a second.

And he didn't look any different to the other blokes.

Reading way too much into things, here guy and gals.

Wow... just wow...

GC17 won a pot that contained Ablett, Richatelli, Brennan with the best two pair in history.

The only FACT is that GWS can pay a bucket load more money that any club can to tempt players.

And most importantly - if you think GWS have such a weak hand, why are you so pannicked about giving him an ultimatum to sign now ?

GC17 had a full-house by comparison. Bikini-clad girls as you step out of your beach front condo for a morning run. Now that IS worth an extra ace!

I'm not panicked. I just believe in swift, decisive action rather than pussyfooting around.

I also believe in setting precedents whereby other players on our list don't put us through this again.

I watched the replay twice on Fox (which they use the original broadcasting stations footage), I thought I saw them sing the song on that, but I may be wrong. If I did see it, I didn't see Scully.

I know when I played footy that there were always blokes that wouldn't sing the song as loud as other players, just a part of their personality. And if he were standing next to Beamer, it owuld be difficult for anyone to out-Gung Ho him!

Sceptics would say that he didn't want to sing it. Optomists would say that he didn't know the words!

I've given up on reading Tom's body language becuase there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever saying that he has signed. People will believe what they like, but unless GWS publish the contract with his little autograph on it, there is absolutely nothing else that any of the media or the supporters on here can actually use to say 100% that he is going.

I'll propose it this way, if this were a murder trial, and I'm sitting on the jury, this is how the case is going in my eyes - defendant pleads not guilty, he appears to have a legitimate alibi, there is no murder weapon to be found. I'm sorry, I find the dependant Not Guilty. That's not to say that he didn't do it, but based on the facts/evidence we have been presented, you cannot honestly say he is guilty. As more evidence appears, my mind may change, but in this case, it'll only be a murder weapon (contract) with his prints (signature) all over it.

Is that keeping my head in the sand? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too...

You can't agree with Scwarta, think he has already signed, and then say that you don't think he is liar when he has expressly said that he has not signed anything and not, nor any of his reps, been in contact with GWS.

He has not signed or he is a liar.

Which do you believe?

I believe in Tom.

It's good that you believe in Tom but I believe your view is very simplistic.

I don't share it for reasons outlined in my posts. It would be nice to live in a vaccuum where nothing impacts negatively on anything else. But we don't.