The Viney push

DemonOX

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The club would be stupid to cause this sort of upheaval, especially if they are trying to lure an experienced coach, and they know that.

Bailey will coach the season out, and I fully support that move. We cannot keep destabilizing our club with internal upheaval. It's messy, it's unprofessional, and it makes us a very unattractive proposition for any perspective coach.

Besides, Bailey has done a great deal right for our club and regardless of what happens at the end of the season we should be eternally greatful that he had the balls to turn our list over.

Excellent post. I honestly don't know where I stand on Bails' MFC future, but I'm confident that our Board members(who are in a much better position than all/most of us to make such judjements) will make the right decision at the appropriate time. Mid-season is definitely not the appropriate time to make a change imo, for the reasons that Jaded has spelt out very clearly.

Viney as a coach. Gotta be careful about that. Means Jack Viney will be undroppable and also be playing in positions which his father thinks are suitable for him and not necessarily what others think.

Favoritism can ruin professionalism

Edited by trudders

The club would be stupid to cause this sort of upheaval, especially if they are trying to lure an experienced coach, and they know that.

Bailey will coach the season out, and I fully support that move. We cannot keep destabilizing our club with internal upheaval. It's messy, it's unprofessional, and it makes us a very unattractive proposition for any perspective coach.

Besides, Bailey has done a great deal right for our club and regardless of what happens at the end of the season we should be eternally greatful that he had the balls to turn our list over.

Great Comment. Couldn't agree more.

Viney as a coach. Gotta be careful about that. Means Jack Viney will be undroppable and also be playing in positions which his father thinks are suitable for him and not necessarily what others think.

Favoritism can ruin professionalism

Or the opposite...asks too much of him. But yeah, I see your point.

Someone has lost the plot.

Some sage observers at the start of this year thought Melbourne would stagnate badly this year because more load would be put on the younger players.

We have stagnated badly, yet the culpable parties are not the younger guys, but the senior players and, in particular, the ghastly coaching of Dean Bailey. Whilst we lost Wellman, DB has been left behind by every other coach in the AFL, and any other senior manager would get fired for running his organisation into last position: inept, lost, listless, lifeless and unorganised.

I would like the see the back on him as soon as possible, and I have supported him 100% before this year. We had no idea if he could coach before 2011; now we know.

It's not the Coaching Geedy, but the lack of cohesion throughpoor early season leadership and then the injuries suspensions. this has a compound effect on the confidence on all developing players,,, and as we've seen, some softer leaders.

We get back a true 'Young Dee', a real leader this week in Trenners, and Sculls, and hopefully Jamar. Add Howe, who has a go, to replace petterd, who has displayed a poor attitude and we should start to slowly regroup.

Then and only then, after we get back to full strength will we be able to see the sort of game style we're trying to implement.

Daniel Bradshaw Knee Indefinite

Kieren Jack Ankle 1-2 weeks

Jed Lamb Hamstring Available

Mike Pyke Quad 1-2 weels

Gary Rohan Knee 4-6 weeks

Matt Spangher Hamstring 1 week

Shane Mumford

This is Sydney's injury list. Compare it to our list and then consider they are losing to NM 21-0 as i write this.

Let's not expect too much from our boys.

I have no doubt we would have been all over Carlton last night without any major players out for as long as we have had them out.

In one way, I understand the defensive approach the coaching staff took last night. Imagine the uproar if we lost by 90+ points regardless of whether we played aggressive or not.

He was possibly thinking back to WC and thinking what could have helped and started with that instead of the possibility of a 1st quarter blow out.

Remember also that we share our next 'window' with Carltons timeframe. We can't afford to get smashed to the tune of 100 points or more by them. those young players last night like Bennell etc, would develop nightmares every time we played them in the future.. Best we took our medicine Friday night and absorb as much damage as possible, and live to fight another day.

We got through but with a loss that still did a bit of damage, but many of those players who let down will go this week.

He constantly makes big mistakes. Take last week for example, he picked newton over gawn (bog), played bate instead of howe, had nicholson as a sub instead of petterd, he had the most pathetic forward structure i have seen in long time, he had a defensive mentality to start the game and the boys looked rudderless. How long are we gping to operate like this. One week, one month, i couldnt stand the rest of the year. He has had a good run, but he needs to be replaced for the well being of the whole club. Faith is not enough, he has put many people into a spell, a false sense of security. I dont buy it.

So you're happy with our "Game Plan" are you; another coach wouldn't improve our performance at all, is that correct? I don't think we should sack Bailey mid term but I certainly don't want him at Melbourne next year.

Have a look at the game from last night or any game for that matter; we don't have a forward line we have 18 defenders and the plan is for one or more of them to race back to our empty forward line (empty except for opposition defenders that is) and try to take a mark or scrounge a goal off the deck. That's of course on the premise that we can actually get the ball out of our defending 50mtr area. Some plan.

Robbie, your losing your anylitical composure.

You know the Cats went through this stuff with Bomba Thompson. Last year the heat was on Carllton and Ratten, even with Judd there leading. Woosher last year @ the eagles. Ross Lyon this year. Rodney Eade. Craig @ Adelaide, who some say are a better list than ours is below us on the ladder & hot & cold.

This is not about how we're performing but more about he we look like we are performing. We are 10th currently and not out of finals contention.

My mate reckons that he's been told that Bailey will coach the next two games then after the QB clash Viney will step in as a caretaker. Personally I'd hate to see the club destabilized like this. Regardless of what happens I'd like to see Bailey coach out the season.

Take all of that with a grain of salt.

Mwah Ha Ha Ha Ha! That has got to be the funniest post I have read for a long time. Actually that reminds me, my mate has been told that Garry Ablett Jnr is unhappy at the GCS and wishes to return to Victoria and is in talks with the Melbourne football department.

Yes I know you stated "take all with a grain of salt" but come on really. Is your mate high up in MFC where he hears such things. If he is, why is he telling a member of the public anything? and secondly why are you repeating such highly sensitive info on a public forum.

Would you really hate to see the club destabilized (ironically thats what you are doing * ) and are we to believe that you would like to see Bailey coach out the season or are these the things we need to take with a grain of salt.

It annoys me to no end all the posturing and wailing going on about how we should sack the coach or elevate another, because as you know the "Powers That Be" really make all their major decisions about coaches from reading footy forums. What a crack up.

Now I am not saying you don't have the right to complain just that it annoys the crap out of me, because I personally don't see the point of complaining and getting worked up over things I have no control over. yes it angers me to see my beloved team play woefully and it saddens and frustrates me to see them lose. But these are the joys of being a supporter of this team. Its all swings and roundabouts and when we are at the top and destroying teams all this heartache and tears will be yesterdays news and I can look back and say hey I knew them when they were crap.

* To quote the great Terry Pratchett "A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on". Mat Damon in an interview with Adam and Will from Triple J once said it easy to make a lie the truth all it takes is one person to say it to another person in a public forum, then some media person picks it up and all of a sudden its news and before you know it you reading a headline that says "Mat Damon caught in a love tryst with Adam and Will and a Goat. So you really need to be careful with rumours because they can end up destabilizing people and clubs.

Robbie, your losing your anylitical composure.

You know the Cats went through this stuff with Bomba Thompson. Last year the heat was on Carllton and Ratten, even with Judd there leading. Woosher last year @ the eagles. Ross Lyon this year. Rodney Eade. Craig @ Adelaide, who some say are a better list than ours is below us on the ladder & hot & cold.

This is not about how we're performing but more about he we look like we are performing. We are 10th currently and not out of finals contention.

I disagree and after watching the game the other night I can't see where I got it wrong we have 18 on field defenders with our current structure; that will not win games this year or ever. If that's the plan then the plan stinks.

It is interesting the way people refer to how long it took Thompson to finally get the results at Geelong; I guess it depends on whether you are half full or half empty type. There is the school of thought that if he was a really good coach it wouldn't have taken him as long to mould the side and he should have won more than 2 flags especially with a side like that. I for the life of me can't understand how a good coach would have allowed Hawthorn to win the GF against them in 2008.

If we lose pathetically against the bombers this week, bailey MUST be sacked and replaced with Viney.

Its upto the team now.

All we can do is watch.

Agree. Something needs to happen.

What happens if we continue to lose and not only lose but lose badly where we show no passion or game plan? I understand where you are coming from but if we continue to lose and we do nothing does that make the MFC look unprofessional or unattractive to a potential coach too? Also how will it affect attendances at the games and memberships?

Edited by DemonOX

I'm not advocating he becomes the permanent coach, but I think he'd be great as caretaker.

Why?

My mate reckons that he's been told that Bailey will coach the next two games then after the QB clash Viney will step in as a caretaker. Personally I'd hate to see the club destabilized like this. Regardless of what happens I'd like to see Bailey coach out the season.

Take all of that with a grain of salt.

How good would that look, surely the powers that be would have a little more forethought than that. Just after the QBW we should have Tappy, Jamar, Scully if not back already and Garland, that combined with Trenners back for a few games and 4 or 5 Rookies being given game time the caretaker coach will be a rock star all for having quality personal back on the field. Game plan or no game plan will ever help poor decision making or execution! I'd like to see DB stay for the remainder of the year and as a supporter would not be disappointed if he was given a 5th year. Even if we achieve the same number of wins as last year I still think he should have a one year extension.

Go Dees!

What happens if we continue to lose and not only lose but lose badly where we show no passion or game plan? I understand where you are coming from but if we continue to lose and we do nothing does that make the MFC look unprofessional or unattractive to a potential coach too? Also how will it affect attendances at the games and memberships?

Nothing is ever achieved by sacking a coach mid season.

Show me one good example where this has worked favorably for a club?

If we keep losing we have to suck it up until Round 24 is over, and trust that the club is working behind the scenes to get us a new coach.

If we keep losing we have to suck it up until Round 24 is over, and trust that the club is working behind the scenes to get us a new coach.

Eade for Roos at Sydney

Daniel Bradshaw Knee Indefinite

Kieren Jack Ankle 1-2 weeks

Jed Lamb Hamstring Available

Mike Pyke Quad 1-2 weels

Gary Rohan Knee 4-6 weeks

Matt Spangher Hamstring 1 week

Shane Mumford

This is Sydney's injury list. Compare it to our list and then consider they are losing to NM 21-0 as i write this.

Let's not expect too much from our boys.

I have no doubt we would have been all over Carlton last night without any major players out for as long as we have had them out.

In one way, I understand the defensive approach the coaching staff took last night. Imagine the uproar if we lost by 90+ points regardless of whether we played aggressive or not.

LOL, SYDNEYS BOTTOM SIX SHOW MY HEART THAN OUR ENTIRE LEADERSHIP GROUP! WE OUR PATHETIC.

He was possibly thinking back to WC and thinking what could have helped and started with that instead of the possibility of a 1st quarter blow out.

Didnt Roos take over Sydney mid season?

If this is correct we are in for a very very long season, possibly worse than 2008/09.

Edited by DemonOX

It's fairly certain that, barring an amazing turnaround from the team or complete hari kiri from the club's powers, Dean Bailey will not be coaching Melbourne in 2012. I would actually consider it an uncharacteristically proactive move from Melbourne to remove Bailey mid-season and appoint Todd Viney. I was against the mid-season sackings of Balme and Daniher, but this one gives Melbourne the opportunity to have a look at Viney over the course of half a season. We won't learn all there is to know about Viney as a coach in that time, but we'll know more than we will if we leave him in his current role. An experienced coach in Malthouse or Roos has to be the priority, but at least Viney's promotion gives us something else to work with.

If this is correct we are in for a very very long season, possibly worse than 2008/09.

If this is how you want things to go down, then great.

Here is a reminder of the Eade-Roos situation http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/06/25/1023864581312.html

Now let us replicate that scenario in Victoria, where the footy media coverage is ten times that of Sydney, and also let us not forget that our next coach is probably not already on our coaching staff. That means 10 rounds or so of someone coaching who has no long term interests in the club. It is just a very messy situation that we need to try and avoid.

Nothing monumental will happen with a mid year sacking and replacing of a coach with a short term caretaker. If you told me Roos was ready to step up and start next week, it would be a different story, but as the situation stands currently, we have to minimise the damage as much as we can if we decide to let Bailey go.

Yes, Eade resigned.