The Trade Thread

gOLLy

Rivers will play in our next Premiership side.

That's a little too definite and absolute for my tastes.....

Edited by QueenC

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne not listed as one of the clubs interested in the GWS 17 year old trade picks.... i know this doesnt mean we wont try or havnt but would have thought it was worth going hard at

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tomorrows-stars-in-giants-sights-20110524-1f2ij.html#ixzz1NHcv0cIY

Newton (i do like he chasing attempts now but just not the KPP we need and had enough time to win his spot

Strauss unless he improves this season (Another Chris Johnson???)

Morton unless he grows some balls

Davey see Morton

Either Woona or Jetta - Probably don't require too especially with Maric picks up.

Melbourne not listed as one of the clubs interested in the GWS 17 year old trade picks.... i know this doesnt mean we wont try or havnt but would have thought it was worth going hard at

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tomorrows-stars-in-giants-sights-20110524-1f2ij.html#ixzz1NHcv0cIY

Anyone reading this, should have a look at this link ^

Guest Thomo

Surely the question is who (or what) do we want to trade in, before who do we want to trade out?

Good point

Football is about winning premierships, so every man has his price.

I would trade Watts, Scully and Trengove for the right price, but that price would have to be unbievable, and unlikely. Like Old55 said, makes more sense to ask want we want before we look at who to give up.

Rivers isn't untouchable.. He's just plain untradable. Now !! Ought have unloaded him years ago but most of you lot wouldn't hear of it.

Told ya so !!! :rolleyes:

The rank foolishness of comments like this - and that of RR who slags off Davey - is why I rarely comment these days.

The administrators of this site delete remarks where posters have shots at each other but moron statements like this should be the real targets.

That's an interesting point. Melbourne are far less likely to be interested than a club that's stuck in the falling stages, a la Port last year. Where the stars are aging and still competing but the kids aren't good enough, or where they want a kid as an extra boost to their prospects. I just don't think it's something the club will be interested in, we've got our kids, and with the exception of JV there's no need for us.

That's an interesting point. Melbourne are far less likely to be interested than a club that's stuck in the falling stages, a la Port last year. Where the stars are aging and still competing but the kids aren't good enough, or where they want a kid as an extra boost to their prospects. I just don't think it's something the club will be interested in, we've got our kids, and with the exception of JV there's no need for us.

The question is whether or not we can get a top 5 player from next years draft, (speculatively so) for a player or pick of slightly less value? some of the kids mentioned are rated extremely highly, especially O'Meara and Stringer i believe

it also seems that GWS may want qaulity established players for these picks

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Anyone else like Nathan Fyfe ?

Sure. I reckon we could win a couple of flags with all the players we didn't pick over the last bunch of years. Funnily enough so could every other club.

The question is whether or not we can get a top 5 player from next years draft, (speculatively so) for a player or pick of slightly less value? some of the kids mentioned are rated extremely highly, especially O'Meara and Stringer i believe

Well it's a two-part issue - who we would give up for one of those and who they would want for one of those. I just don't think we have anyone who fits what they're hunting for - maybe Dunn would be the only one I'd consider.

I'm guessing they'd look at...

24-27year old.

Number of years in the system (not a mature-age)

Someone who is really up for a contest and willing to go body-on-body.

All of our players who I would genuinely throw in there (Sylvia, Moloney, Jones) are untradeables IMO, and the only other player I can think of is Davey, but with his current form plus his role in the mentoring program I doubt he'll be useful at all.

Well it's a two-part issue - who we would give up for one of those and who they would want for one of those. I just don't think we have anyone who fits what they're hunting for - maybe Dunn would be the only one I'd consider.

I'm guessing they'd look at...

24-27year old.

Number of years in the system (not a mature-age)

Someone who is really up for a contest and willing to go body-on-body.

All of our players who I would genuinely throw in there (Sylvia, Moloney, Jones) are untradeables IMO, and the only other player I can think of is Davey, but with his current form plus his role in the mentoring program I doubt he'll be useful at all.

Yes agree with alot of these points, what about a pick and a dunn, bate type even strauss or blease? i am talking our first pick

Jones is a hard one.... i think the type of player we could get would be amazing, better than jones, but what does our midfield lose in the short term? with only Moloney,Sylvia... then 20-21yo's thats the trouble

these kids and its a stretch because i dont know a whole lot, but we could be talking about trading for scully,trengove, martin types

Yes agree with alot of these points, what about a pick and a dunn, bate type even strauss or blease? i am talking our first pick

Jones is a hard one.... i think the type of player we could get would be amazing, better than jones, but what does our midfield lose in the short term? with only Moloney,Sylvia... then 20-21yo's thats the trouble

these kids and its a stretch because i dont know a whole lot, but we could be talking about trading for scully,trengove, martin types

A pick and Dunn for one of those kids might be useful, but it depends on what type of player we're targeting. Down back we're basically good. Up forward we have Watts, Cook, Howe, Fitzpatrick, Jurrah, Wonna, Dunn right now, plus one of Jamar and Martin rotating through. Midfield speaks for itself.

The only way it'd be handy would be if we were doing it for a mid. A KPP wouldn't be useful to us for this.

A pick and Dunn for one of those kids might be useful, but it depends on what type of player we're targeting. Down back we're basically good. Up forward we have Watts, Cook, Howe, Fitzpatrick, Jurrah, Wonna, Dunn right now, plus one of Jamar and Martin rotating through. Midfield speaks for itself.

The only way it'd be handy would be if we were doing it for a mid. A KPP wouldn't be useful to us for this.

I think we can be better down back. The aspect at which I like to investigate or "probe" as it were is that we have quality in Grimes and Tapscott. From what I understand whilst they have been very competent down back, is it in our best interests to find one or two who can be as 'competent' with pace, skill, elite by foot to enable Grimes to be utilised in the midfield and Tapscott midfield/halfforward ?

I think our club needs to be prudent in it's decision making with how we utilise Grimes and Tapscott. I'm not convinced that they should be 'stamped' as backmen. We need to find our strengths and address areas where we are deficient.

Guest hangon007

IMHO we need some maturity in our side. No more kids if there not guaranteed a spot in our top 25.

Time to move to the trade table. We dont need superstars we need players to fill specific roles.

Edited by hangon007

I think we can be better down back. The aspect at which I like to investigate or "probe" as it were is that we have quality in Grimes and Tapscott. From what I understand whilst they have been very competent down back, is it in our best interests to find one or two who can be as 'competent' with pace, skill, elite by foot to enable Grimes to be utilised in the midfield and Tapscott midfield/halfforward ?

I think our club needs to be prudent in it's decision making with how we utilise Grimes and Tapscott. I'm not convinced that they should be 'stamped' as backmen. We need to find our strengths and address areas where we are deficient.

It's pretty hard to find quality small backs tbh, they don't come through that often, and if they do quite often they end up as midfielders.

If this rubbish re the Russian where to happen and I very much hope it doesn't, I note McEvoy is languishing in St.Kilda reserves. Maybe he could use a fresh start.

Do we offer Sylvia?

Do we offer Sylvia?

There was a word in another BF thread suggesting that Geelong was offering something in the value of their first rounder from the Ablett deal, so i think Sylvia is a bit more value than that, but yes i think he is close to what it would take, in a Valued player or first round pick

I cant pin point the thread....somewhere hear maybe, is still related to the topic:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818361

The only issue i would imagine with trading them a player like that is, they can sign players without us offering them, so why would they trade with us for such a player???