YOU BE THE COACH

Freak

Everyone here believes that Bailey ought to go due to his lack of game plan and/or poor game plan. With the game plan being flood the back line then, when in possession, run and handball in numbers down the ground not working what do you suggest?

It's easy to criticise without offering an alternative.

Personally I think Bailey should stay but here is my game plan if I was coach:

I believe the biggest most important thing we need to address is our inside 50's. Stating the obvious, you can't score a goal unless you get it in there (unless of course you bomb one from outside 50!). We are getting low inside 50m tally's because we are turning it over with our handball happy game style along the half back line. To get the ball inside 50 more often I would make these positional changes:

Davey deep inside 50m. His forward pressure would cause more turnovers from the opposition coming out of their backline causing more inside 50's for us.

Tapscott to half forward. Strong overheard marking and deep long kicks into our 50m would help our team. We have one of the most talented forwards in the comp just twiddling his thumbs in the forward 50. We need to get it down to him!

Grimes to the middle. Grimes was put into the backline to give us a steady foot and assurance back there. Realistically however, he is a turnover king which not only diminishes our inside 50m count but also costs us on the score board. His overheard marking is fantastic however and this should be the utilised more effectively as a midfielder and a potential target for kick-ins. Not the actual kicker himself.

Structural changes:

No flooding the backline anymore. Back our numbers in at the contest. The extra numbers that are usually flooding the backline can now provide options when coming out of defence. The likes of Davey, Bennell and Wonaeamirri etc. can come up into the centre section of the ground to provide an option for defenders but no further. This will space out the ground more and provide a more healthy option for defenders. jurrah doesn't leave the forward 50m however. So instead of having all the numbers in the defensive 50m and running the lines from there. The defensive 6 will have extra options provided by midfielders(half back line area) and forwards pushing up the ground (centre section). This gives us numbers on the first 3 sections on the ground. deep inside defensive 50m, half back line and centre line. From the centre line we can then keep running transition using our numbers and/or kick it to jurrah 1 on 1 inside 50m. If they choose to flood their backline, so be it. Ironically, that will be shooting themselves in the foot just the same way we are right now.

Edited by Freak

Like your theory and at least offering an alternative however Davey to the forward line 5 years ago good move, he plays footy now like he is above the hard running and chasing, when was the last time he chased and tackled?

Tapscott up forward is another good move but we lose to much hardness from the backline which we desperately need at the moment. Our problem is getting it out of the backline so we need good kicks to be able to use the footy, the setup isn't bad now but we dont leave players forward of the ball to kick to and we move it to slow and allow them to setup a zone, we don't switch it quick enough...

I'm actually horrified to say this. But I agree with everything that Freak has said.

I would keep Davey in the middle but rotate into the forward line a lot more frequently.

I would play Green in the middle. Our midfield needs some leadership and experiance.

Also a couple of non-negotiables

A minimum of 68 effective tackles a match- that's just 2 per player. TWO.

We will win more games on that alone...

We must win at least 60% of clearances. That is how the best teams carve up the opposition. 60% as min means that even on a day where the boys may be 5 or 10% off their game which happens even to the best teams, we should still break even on clearances.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Grandson of a gun

Its amazing how well any game plan looks on paper (or in this case on computer screen). That would win multiple premierships Freak... However the trouble is there is also an opposition team with their own game plans, as opposed to witches hats! Getting hands on the pill and being able to keep it are the major concerns.

There are 3 basic systems that must be in play

1 When we have the ball

2 When they have the ball

3 When the ball is in dispute

That means 3 separate game plans. Need a counter for opposition floods, man on man, clusters and now presses. As well as our own floods, man on man times, clusters and forward +/- midfield press.

This cannot be done in one paragraph. This means every single player knowing his role and executing it at all times. 42 players on the list is a complicated mess at best. I wouldn't where to start trying to fill the required 50 odd page document to fully cover a 'game plan'

We are currently in player development mode as opposed to team development mode, unfortunately looking at last night we need a lot more development!!!!

Also a couple of non-negotiables

A minimum of 68 effective tackles a match- that's just 2 per player. TWO.

We will win more games on that alone...

We must win at least 60% of clearances. That is how the best teams carve up the opposition. 60% as min means that even on a day where the boys may be 5 or 10% off their game which happens even to the best teams, we should still break even on clearances.

Edit: spelling

might want to try edit arithmetic too ...

might want to try edit arithmetic too ...

HA....my mistake sorry. I got lost in my rant...

A THREE tackle minimum for EVERY Melbourne player (and a smidge more if you want to be exact)... ;)

Its amazing how well any game plan looks on paper (or in this case on computer screen). That would win multiple premierships Freak... However the trouble is there is also an opposition team with their own game plans, as opposed to witches hats! Getting hands on the pill and being able

Agree, but the game plan we are playing at the moment is probably the one would that looks good with witches hats. The one i did is something I believe would be a much safer bet and much more flexible. I also think that by the time the guys run the 100 metres done the ground, they often cannot execute into the forward 50m because they are tired.