We were better last year.

DeeZee

The way we have looked so far this season,i would have to say we were a better balanced side last year.

Losing Junior and Bruce 2 players who regularly got 25 possessions every week.

Junior and Jordie two of the top tacklers in the League missing. (Jordie will come back)

Midfield looks so slow, Moloney and Jones too simalar.

We need to try something drastic like Grimes and Tapscott in the middle.

They are wasted down back, maybe give Jones a back pocket role.

Jamar doesnt look as good as last year either.

we seem to lack speed and defensive pressure in the middle.

When someone goes to kick out no ones leads to the ball, no one giving an option, crazy stuff.

I predict we will finish around 10th or 11th, and will take a step back this year unfortunately.(Richmond and Essendon to go ahead of us).

The way we have looked so far this season,i would have to say we were a better balanced side last year.

Junior and Jordie two of the top tacklers in the League missing. (Jordie will come back)

When someone goes to kick out no ones leads to the ball, no one giving an option, crazy stuff.

I predict we will finish around 10th or 11th, and will take a step back this year unfortunately.(Richmond and Essendon to go ahead of us).

I think that while we have a young exciting list of players - we play a stupid style of game that does not suit us.

Last year Bailey was taking it down the middle and we looked quite good. This year we are trying to play the boundary line like Collingwood. Bailey's game plan looks like flip flop, copy who is ever on top.

I do think it is inexcusable that we are the only team in the competition that has not done any work on the defensive press and whose players have no idea how to combat it. Surely Dean needs to keep up with what's going on in the comp.

We can have the best young list but if the coach cannot get anything out of it, then no rebuild is going to be effective.

Worse, i found Bailey's press conference even more flat and useless than our third quater. I think it was obvious we got smashed Dean. It has been happening for four years.

Edited by agent_orange

Disagree on almost every point you have made.

* The top 2 points are correct. Having Bruce and Jnr week after week did give some stability from an experienced point of view. They were both going to leave at some stage in the very near future, it just happened to be this year.

* The midfield didn't look slow at all in the 2nd quarter, or in the 3rd and 4th last week.

* Jones is not a back pocket, if you are going to move him somewhere maybe a forward pocket? At least we know he can kick a goal. With all the opinions of his turnover count on this site, he would cost us 10 goals a game as a back pocket (I don't share that opinion however).

* Tapscott was drafted as a half forward flanker, and I think that's where we will see him play his best footy. Grimes DOES need to get in the middle - hopefully it might improve his decision making ability becuase if he frigs around, he'll get smashed.

* Jamar looks every bit of the player he was last year, if not better. His work last week was dominant against a guy that challenged him for his spot in the AA, yesterday the Hawks sharked his tap work far too easy (not Jamar's faulty entirely).

* Essendon were already ahead of us, and Richmond wont be. St Kilda made them look better than what they are.

We WILL beat Brisbane this weekend, and we WILL beat Gold Coast, so we WILL go in to the bye at 2 1/2 wins and 1 loss. Most predicted that (or close to it) when the fixture was released.

Do you think we will make the eight?

If we dont beat Brisbane and ,the Gold Coast we will be in serious trouble.

Its the good teams you have to beat to improve, defeating the two teams who will probably finish bottom 2 should be a given.

Edited by DeeZee

(Richmond and Essendon to go ahead of us).

Yes perhaps but Port and North may well be behind us...

I can see us running on confidence, so if they can pull together for 2 must win games in Brissy and the Gold Coast and go into the Bye 2 wins 1 Draw and loss, they may start to get a roll on.

Having said that I totally understand we are still going to be up and down all year, just hopefully a little more consistent than last year.

No, but on the ladder it will look like we are for a long part of the year. Nb I have also had this opinion well before the preseason started and still have it.

I;m not going ot let a touch up from a top 4 side make me change my view. There'll be a couple more performance like that during this season, so be prepared!

Its the good teams you have to beat to improve, defeating the two teams who will probably finish bottom 2 should be a given.

At half time and three beers down I thought we could make the 8. At 3/4 time, I had other thoughts, most being to smash things :mad:

Theres the inconsistency from quarter to quarter.

No, but on the ladder it will look like we are for a long part of the year. Nb I have also had this opinion well before the preseason started and still have it.

I;m not going ot let a touch up from a top 4 side make me change my view. There'll be a couple more performance like that during this season, so be prepared!

I agree, before the start of the year I predicted a Hawks v Pies Grand Final, and they are one side we really struggle against, so way to early to tell where we may finish. Hopefully just inside the 8, but maybe just outside is more realistic.

At half time and three beers down I thought we could make the 8. At 3/4 time, I had other thoughts, most being to smash things :mad:

Theres the inconsistency from quarter to quarter.

I felt exactly the same.

Hopefully that will be a wake up call to the players, to play four quarters.

I have no dount at all that we will win the next 2 games. I went to the GC game on the weekend, we will win that game. And I can't really see Brisbane worrying us. And don't worry, we will beat sides above us - I'm hoping Bulldogs, St Kilda and maybe even Geelong.

But we will lose a couple of games to teams below us, so brace yourself! I don't care what anyone says, it's the joys of following a young side in development mode.

Losing Bruce and Junior was always going to leave a hole, particularly early in the year against more seasoned teams, but I have no doubt that other players will step up to fill that void through the year.

I agree that although the scoreline is better, we were worse this year than last V Hawks. BUT the Hawks are better and I think that is the bigger point, I haven't seen Melbourne be that thoroughly beaten in once quarter since the days of 2007 and when the Hawks stepped up a gear (and actually put it through the big sticks) we seemed to go right back into our 2007-esque shell. That is a concern, one that Baily must address this week.

I have no doubt that the players will put in a proper performance next week V Lions, because I reckon quite a few of them will be filthy that we took a step back this week. I also reckon there'll be some changes, and hopefully some players put on notice. I fully expect us to come out hungry after such an insipid second half, and we should be going into the bye with two wins and a draw to our names.

Losing Bruce and Junior was always going to leave a hole, particularly early in the year against more seasoned teams, but I have no doubt that other players will step up to fill that void through the year.

I agree that although the scoreline is better, we were worse this year than last V Hawks. BUT the Hawks are better and I think that is the bigger point, I haven't seen Melbourne be that thoroughly beaten in once quarter since the days of 2007 and when the Hawks stepped up a gear (and actually put it through the big sticks) we seemed to go right back into our 2007-esque shell. That is a concern, one that Baily must address this week.

I have no doubt that the players will put in a proper performance next week V Lions, because I reckon quite a few of them will be filthy that we took a step back this week. I also reckon there'll be some changes, and hopefully some players put on notice. I fully expect us to come out hungry after such an insipid second half, and we should be going into the bye with two wins and a draw to our names.

Reality check for all the Bruce lovers...

What position did he play last year and who plays in it this year?

Apart from pumping our "avg games played" total, what have we lost?

It's been 2 games. Relax. We need the yearly Hawthorn flogging to get us on track it seems.

I am so utterly sick of getting belted by them. Really getting sick of it.

Edited by Cudi_420

I couldn't agree more Jurrahcane. I was camping and watched the game when I got home. Would have been ok if we were S*@T at the start, but by the time 3/4 came around I was waking the whole house at 1am. And potentially my neighbours.

We're More talented, but way less mature.

Jnr's leadership is a big loss,,, but McKenzie plays the same role, so it looks to me that we swapped the 2 of them. With McKenzie Injured, it's opened the door for Bail's opportunity to run with.

Moloney and Jones are our in/unders, grunt players. not outside runners or link players. The problem is our skilled outside players are slight and fright. Davey is slight.

Sylvia the exception but needs to step up in the leadership area. Become more reliable. And needs support to.

No one yet to replace Grimes's strengths, to move him. Build from the back first, then forward. We need to get Howe onto the field & Davis back in uniform.

Its too soon to judge yet. We dont have our full strength side in yet.

With Scully, McKenzie, Morton to come into the side. Not to mention that Frawley,Pettard have had interupted pre-seasons, throw in Wona and Gysberts and hopefully an improving Bate, then we have improvement to come. Then can you only judge.

Its too soon to judge yet. We dont have our full strength side in yet.

With Scully, McKenzie, Morton to come into the side. Not to mention that Frawley,Pettard have had interupted pre-seasons, throw in Wona and Gysberts and hopefully an improving Bate, then we have improvement to come. Then can you only judge.

Thats pure BS.

You get judged on intensity - lacking in the second half yesterday, and general signs of improvement - largely non existent so far this year.

Injuries are part of the game. We've got a few out or underdone, but it's not excuse.

There is only so far waiting for all the best players to come back in and waiting for improvement will take you.

All I want to see is us learn from our mistakes.

Bailey seems to have less and less conviction every time he speaks. At the moment I'm hearing too much the players weren't up to it blah blah blah and not enough we are on a course and we will be ruthless and unacceptable efforts will not be tolerated.

Im saying judge us, when we are up and expected to be really firing and showing nothing.

Next 5 weeks you will have ur answer.

Reality check for all the Bruce lovers...

What position did he play last year and who plays in it this year?

Apart from pumping our "avg games played" total, what have we lost?

I wasn't/am not a "Bruce Lover", but as good as Tapscott has been in taking up his position I have absolutely no doubt Bruces experience (and Juniors as I also alluded to in my post) would've been extremely helpful during the torrent of forward pressure in the third quarter.

Would they have stopped it? Probably not. But the second half was a reality check for us fans, and hopefully the players. Experience can be an integral part of a side, it is what the young players look to when times get tough and unfortunately the ball just wasn't getting to our older generation during that time but Bruce would've been playing in defence and Junior would've been around there as well.

Don't take this as me saying the FD did the wrong thing, I agreed with them tapping Junior on the shoulder and I certainly agreed with them playing hard ball with Bruce, but I have a feeling there will be times throughout the year when we will miss the older heads of Bruce and Junior. Sunday was one of those times. Bottom line is players will have to step up and take responsibility.

I wasn't/am not a "Bruce Lover", but as good as Tapscott has been in taking up his position I have absolutely no doubt Bruces experience (and Juniors as I also alluded to in my post) would've been extremely helpful during the torrent of forward pressure in the third quarter.

Would they have stopped it? Probably not. But the second half was a reality check for us fans, and hopefully the players. Experience can be an integral part of a side, it is what the young players look to when times get tough and unfortunately the ball just wasn't getting to our older generation during that time but Bruce would've been playing in defence and Junior would've been around there as well.

Don't take this as me saying the FD did the wrong thing, I agreed with them tapping Junior on the shoulder and I certainly agreed with them playing hard ball with Bruce, but I have a feeling there will be times throughout the year when we will miss the older heads of Bruce and Junior. Sunday was one of those times. Bottom line is players will have to step up and take responsibility.

It's a fair point, but where do we stop? I wish we had Neitz at Full Forward still, especially in a couple of years when we have a stronger midfield. He would've been great out there on Sunday.

With a departure, we move on. It's like breaking up with a girl, yeah sure, you may shed a tear if you've been together a while, but what do you do, sit and home and enjoy your own company, or get out there and re-enter the workforce? At times you think about your ex and how good it was, but then you find new interests and all is forgotten (until you have a bad experience that is!).

Nb: Mods, I know I'm probably close to that line, but it's an attempt of humour that surely wouldn't offend anyone? I could have written it a lot worse!!!

I remember getting spanked a fair bit over the years Bruce has been around.

To me, that suggests that if there was a benefit to be had with Bruce in the team as an 'old head' it wouldn't have been a particularly noticeable one in circumstances like those that occurred on Sunday.