Max Gawn

Jordan Gysberts

Cameron Johnson

Michael Newton

Daniel Nicholson

Jake Spencer

Austin Wonaeamirri and

Matthew Warnock

Jordan Gysberts is probably the pick of the Demons out there accumulating possessions in the middle.

Juice Newton good in his comeback with a couple of goals.

Max Gawn doing well in the ruck and around the ground.

Matthew Bate doing ok but a bit fumbly.

Austin Winaeamirri working hard but hasn't has enough of the ball.

Dan Nicholson has done a few nice things.

Three quarter time: Port Melbourne 14.9.93 leading Casey 7.7.49

Jordan Gysberts not far off AFL selection.

Matthew Bate picked up his game that quarter.

I wasn't here for the early game but Fev was apparently ordinary getting only three or four touches. He's probably not used to playing that early - I believe that on most days he's studying the fields at that time.

Final score in the reserves - Port Melbourne 15.20.110 defeated Casey Scorpions 5.6.36

Anyway, there's a feeling around the ground that "no Fev, no Casey" and I believe the scoreboard attendant agrees with me because there's no mention of Casey or their score on the scoreboard.

Casey Scorpions 4.1.25 5.5.35 7.7.49 13.9.87

Port Melbourne 5.1.31 7.6.48 14.9.93 16.12.108

Goals

Casey Scorpions Newton Wall 3 McGough Spencer 2 Evans Patti Waite

Port Melbourne Rose 4 Burstin 3 Dwyer 2 Cain Fanning Keely Langford McMahon, Scipione Valenti

Best for Casey were Gysberts, Wall, Newton and Matthews

Casey games also help us get an idea of the depth in our squad.

I'd rate our depth reasonably good, but not outstanding.

Bate and Wonaeamirri could all easily slip into our senior side at stages this year.

Gybserts, Blease, Strauss, Gawn and our first year draftees and rookies will continue to develop mostly in the vfl but will get a few games.

Plus we have Frawley, Morton, Scully and Morton who are definite starting 18 players who will come into the team by round 5 hopefully.

We also have guys like Spenser, Warnock and Newton in case we're getting really desperate.

In terms of quality players ready to play afl this season, our list probably only goes to 28 or 29.

Strauss didn't play and he's not injured so I assume he's the main standby for tomorrow.

If that is the case then we don't have much depth at all. Strauss has shown nothing to suggest that he is up to AFL standard. Too easily pushed off the ball, lacks grunt and makes poor options.

Next please.

An experienced and well drilled Port Melbourne overpowered Casey Scorpions when they booted 7 goals to 2 in the third term at Casey Fields.

The first half was close and Casey had its chances to go ahead late in the second term but some lapses up forward allowed Port to seize the initiative before the main break.

The Scorps battled hard to narrow the margin in the last but Port held reasonably firm to run out winners by 21 points.

Casey named two of the three Melbourne emergencies for tomorrow's game - Jake Spencer and Matthew Warnock leaving James Strauss as the likely Demon to come into the side if it becomes necessary. The general feeling is that Strauss might come in if Jack Trengove's ankle doesn't come up. Otherwise, Ricky Petterd is the likely. nominee as the club's first substitute under the new system.

There was no appearance from Lucas Cook, Jeremy Howe or Tom McDonald. No explanations and none of the above were on the latest official injury list (for what that's worth) although Howe might have sustained some sort of minor injury in last week's practice match against Frankston. Of the Demons -

• Matthew Bate - a bit scrappy at the start but got his act together in the second half. However, needs to be more consistent over a whole game to gain promotion.

• Sam Blease - sort of grew on me as the game went on. It still shows that Blease has effectively had two seasons of little or no football after his terrible foot injury and that he needs to fully regain his self-confidence to use his pace and to execute the skills that got him drafted in the top 20 two years ago. I believe he'll get there eventually and should get some games in the AFL this year as a running back.

• Michael Evans - had sone very good passages of play and displayed a bit of toe. A work in progress who could surprise.

• Max Gawn - is starting to show why his was drafted. His ruckwork against a couple of experienced campaigners was excellent and he took some strong grabs. Gaining confidence on the comeback trail after a long absence with injuries.

• Jordan Gysberts - got lots of the ball and used it well. Given Melbourne's midfield injury woes he could well get the opportunity to step up sooner rather than later.

• Cameron Johnson - a likely type who still has a lot to learn.

• Michael Newton - good game on return from injury booting three goals and having a hand in a couple of others. Having been promoted off the rookie list, it's clear that the football department has faith in him and if he keeps this up then he should get further opportunities.

• Daniel Nicholson - starting to pick up the tempo of play and of what's required at this level. Had a couple of nice runs but there were a couple of turnovers as well. On the whole, he looks a possible player.

• Jake Spencer - a reasonable game in the ruck and kicked a couple of goals when resting forward. Although not a great game, he did what was necessary most of the time whether in ruck or up forward.

• Austin Wonaeamirri - did the occasional brilliant thing but probably didn't get involved as much or exert anywhere near as much influence on the game as he is capable of doing.

• Matthew Warnock - steady for most of the game except when turned inside out by the fast leading Patrick Rose for a period in the third quarter. Have seen better games from him.

Of the VFL listed players, the two leaders in Kyle Matthews and James Wall were great. I liked the performances of Rian McGough and Tim Mohr and newcomer Mitch Gent was promising. I noticed that a few regulars in Danny Nicholls, Matt Fieldsend and Michael Stockdale were missing from the small man brigade and their return will only improve team depth. If they can get Fev's head and body right, the team could pose serious problems to the opposition in 2011.

• Max Gawn - is starting to show why his was drafted. His ruckwork against a couple of experienced campaigners was excellent and he took some strong grabs. Gaining confidence on the  comeback trail after a long absence with injuries.

Thanks KC. Particularly liked this write up on Gawn. Hoping he makes great strides this season and maybe cracks it for a few senior games.

An experienced and well drilled Port Melbourne overpowered Casey Scorpions when they booted 7 goals to 2 in the third term at Casey Fields.

The first half was close and Casey had its chances to go ahead late in the second term but some lapses up forward allowed Port to seize the initiative before the main break.

The Scorps battled hard to narrow the margin in the last but Port held reasonably firm to run out winners by 21 points.

Casey named two of the three Melbourne emergencies for tomorrow's game - Jake Spencer and Matthew Warnock leaving James Strauss as the likely Demon to come into the side if it becomes necessary. The general feeling is that Strauss might come in if Jack Trengove's ankle doesn't come up. Otherwise, Ricky Petterd is the likely. nominee as the club's first substitute under the new system. 

There was no appearance from Lucas Cook, Jeremy Howe or Tom McDonald. No explanations and none of the above were on the latest official injury list (for what that's worth) although Howe might have sustained some sort of minor injury in last week's practice match against Frankston. Of the Demons -

• Matthew Bate - a bit scrappy at the start but got his act together in the second half. However, needs to be more consistent over a whole game to gain promotion.

• Sam Blease - sort of grew on me as the game went on. It still shows that Blease has effectively had two seasons of little or no football after his terrible foot injury and that he needs to fully regain his self-confidence to use his pace and to execute the skills that got him drafted in the top 20 two years ago. I believe he'll get there eventually and should get some games in the AFL this year as a running back.

• Michael Evans - had sone very good passages of play and displayed a bit of toe. A work in progress who could surprise.

• Max Gawn - is starting to show why his was drafted. His ruckwork against a couple of experienced campaigners was excellent and he took some strong grabs. Gaining confidence on the  comeback trail after a long absence with injuries.

• Jordan  Gysberts - got lots of the ball and used it well. Given Melbourne's midfield injury woes he could well get the opportunity to step up sooner rather than later.

• Cameron Johnson - a likely type who still has a lot to learn.

• Michael Newton - good game on return from injury booting three goals and having a hand in a couple of others. Having been promoted off the rookie list, it's clear that the football department has faith in him and if he keeps this up then he should get further opportunities.

• Daniel Nicholson - starting to pick up the tempo of play and of what's required at this level. Had a couple of nice runs but there were a couple of turnovers as well. On the whole, he looks a possible player.

• Jake Spencer - a reasonable game in the ruck and kicked a couple of goals when resting forward. Although not a great game, he did what was necessary most of the time whether in ruck or up forward. 

• Austin Wonaeamirri - did the occasional brilliant thing but probably didn't get involved as much or exert anywhere near as much influence on the game as he is capable of doing.

• Matthew Warnock - steady for most of the game except when turned inside out by the fast leading Patrick Rose for a period in the third quarter. Have seen better games from him.

Of the VFL listed players, the two leaders in Kyle Matthews and James Wall were great. I liked the performances of Rian McGough and Tim Mohr and newcomer Mitch Gent was promising. I noticed that a few regulars in Danny Nicholls, Matt Fieldsend and Michael Stockdale were missing from the small man brigade and their return will only improve team depth. If they can get Fev's head and body right, the team could pose serious problems to the opposition in 2011. 

Great write up KC!!!

Thanks for that.

See you next Saturday night :)

Thanks KC. Particularly liked this write up on Gawn. Hoping he makes great strides this season and maybe cracks it for a few senior games.

To be clear, while Max Gawn's game was impressive and full of promise, I'm not suggesting he will necessarily get games at Melbourne this year. As a big man, he's still 2-3 years away IMO but he'll be very good when he gets there.

I'm hoping not. If Gawn makes it into the senior side, we've got some worries in the ruck department.

(By some worries, I mean that we don't have one....)

I'm hoping not. If Gawn makes it into the senior side, we've got some worries in the ruck department.

(By some worries, I mean that we don't have one....)

Well Doc ... that is a big statement. I presume you drive down from Rockhampton to watch every time he plays.

Of course you might just be a mate of North Queensland's very own "Frank" Spencer. His position on the list might be gawn when Max comes through.

The good doctor is right. Gawn is promising but is still quite a way off being an AFL ruckman. If he gets a game then we are either:

a- Stuffed, or

b- Giving him a 'taste' right at the very end of the year purely for the sake of development.

Spencer is currently miles ahead of him.