Melbourne's top 10 players going into 2011

Wow. If we are talking importance im amazed no one has included bartram. He conceded the least amount of goals for a small defender last season just about.He shut down a heap of dangerous small forwards and god knows those small forwards have carved us up in the past. I understand his disposal is questionable at times but its not his role to carry and deliver.

The reason for that is if he is in our most important/top 10 players we are having a very bad year. His role is important and he does it well but we need the players with more ability to fill our top 10.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 10 in order of importance to the team winning would be:

1. Jamar

2. Sylvia

3. Davey

4. McKenzie

5. Frawley

6. Green

7. Jurrah

8. Grimes

9. Scully

10. Trengove

We need our mids to get the ball forward as much as possible, that is why I have 4 mids up the top, so players such as Green and Jurrah can get the goals and hope we dont need to rely on Frawley and Grimes being under so much pressure.

I have players like Petterd and Garland just outside my top 10.

Lolz at people that have Morton included...

indeed we'll see who has the last laugh ... as his body matures he'll improve in the contest, he's a smart player and he is a decent kick. He's got elite endurance - super valuable, is tall and a good mark. I'm confident he is going to be at least a very good player, possibly a star.

Edited by old55

In order of their importance to the team:

1 Frawley

2 Jamar

3 Scully

4 Sylvia

5 Jones

6 McKenzie

7 Green

8 Davey

9 Jurrah

10 Grimes

It's something that a couple of earlier posters have identified but most have neglected - if we don't win the clearances, we're not going to win games of footy. Hence the appearance of Scully, Jones and McKenzie so high in the list. The latter two might not have the natural talent of others on the list but their role is paramount to our fortunes in 2011 with Bruce and Junior now departed.

Those who don't have a handful of centre-square midfielders in the top five have misunderstood the reasons for success in today's game. If we don't win at least our share of clearances, the likes of Jurrah, Watts and Green will be peripheral players at best.

Finally, Frawley's up top because a key stopper is vital regardless of the state of your midfield. A team will always concede a certain number of inside 50s; a gun KPD can greatly influence what happens when the ball goes in there.

Edit: Yokozuna gets it, as do a few others.

Edited by MikeyJ

Wow. If we are talking importance im amazed no one has included bartram. He conceded the least amount of goals for a small defender last season just about.He shut down a heap of dangerous small forwards and god knows those small forwards have carved us up in the past. I understand his disposal is questionable at times but its not his role to carry and deliver.

Gee, you got Watts in and no Scully - that worries me.

Frawley

Jamar

Green

Sylvia

Garland

McKenzie

Jurrah

Grimes

Davey

Scully

Then Petterd, Rivers, Jones, Trengove and Watts.

Edited by eth38

In order of their importance to the team:

It's something that a couple of earlier posters have identified but most have neglected - if we don't win the clearances, we're not going to win games of footy. Hence the appearance of Scully, Jones and McKenzie so high in the list. The latter two might not have the natural talent of others on the list but their role is paramount to our fortunes in 2011 with Bruce and Junior now departed.

Jones wont win you many clearances and his disposal does not hurt the opposition enough. I doubt whether he is no 5 in importance. MFC must develop better midfield options than Jones if it wants to be successful.

indeed we'll see who has the last laugh ... as his body matures he'll improve in the contest, he's a smart player and he is a decent kick. He's got elite endurance - super valuable, is tall and a good mark. I'm confident he is going to be at least a very good player, possibly a star.

Old,

I am not laughing because I think he won't make it. I am laughing because I am still so surprised and shocked that people rate him as highly as they do and have him penciled in as a 'star' of the comp.

I still can't work it out. Apart from endurance, he hasn't exactly got a strength to his game that the team can rely on.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of him.

I still can't work it out. Apart from endurance, he hasn't exactly got a strength to his game that the team can rely on.

He's a footballer and not just an athlete. His ceiling is going to depend on whether he can continue to build bulk and strength. He's a strong mark, a decent kick and if he can get bigger will be very versatile and difficult to match up on and vice versa will provide us with a match-up on other similar rare players. He's now listed at 192/87 - his brothers are listed at 186/81 and 191/86, he may struggle to get up into the low 90s with Goddard but if he can he'll be hard to beat in any contest.

they don't get it ? let's see your top 10 damon the demon.

1 frawley

2 sylvia

3 scully

4 watts

5 trengove

6 davey

7 grimes

8 mc kenzie

9 jurrah

10 jamar

erg too much thinking at this stage - will try after a few beers tonight. I made that comment because (as several others have since noted) Mckenzie is (with Scully maybe) our best clearance player from stoppages. And our best tackler. Without him we won't win it out of the middle and therefore lose games. He is as important as Jamar, Frawley and Jurrah. Gutted to hear he's out for six.