MFC Training 23/02/11

Grandson of a gun

Ventured down to Goschs Paddock this morning.

A pretty low key low intensity session probably given the game tomorrow night.

Tom Scully, James Frawley and Jordie McKenzie all completed some kicking and handballing drills away from the main group then left the track. Scully's knee taped so obviously taking it cautiously at the moment. Couldn't see strapping on Jordie so assume the groin is the problem.

Perfect conditions out there. Ball movement looked pretty good. After the warmup they did some short kicking stuff before going into some full ground ball movement simulating kickouts and moving it all the way down the ground to goal.

They then went into there respective groups. I watched the backs who were working in pairs leading up to the ball with it kicked over their head and then doubling back on the contest. Of note was that Blease worked with the backs, looks like he is perhaps being groomed for a back flank type carrying the ball out of defence.

Other notable things:

The indigenous boys are all sublimly skilled.

Colin Sylvia, Brad Green, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney and Jack Trengove all look supremely fit.

Ricky Petterd from what I saw was only doing goal kicking and is still a week or two away.

I don't know about blokes like Luke Tapscott, I couldn't see him but he may well have been out there.

Overall it was just a session to build a sweat before the game tomorrow.

To me it looked like only the 29 players for tomorrow night trained. What I did notice is Jack Watts, he looks like a footballer and not a kid, his foot skills on both side of his body are great. The only small concern is his set shots, he seems to what can be best explained as a back hand slice the ball which effects his distance, the ball connection looks good and is straight but it doesn't seem to jump of his boot. His range seems to be 30-40m anything over that he struggles for the distance.

Bit of a fluff session to get the body moving.

To me it looked like only the 29 players for tomorrow night trained. What I did notice is Jack Watts, he looks like a footballer and not a kid, his foot skills on both side of his body are great. The only small concern is his set shots, he seems to what can be best explained as a back hand slice the ball which effects his distance, the ball connection looks good and is straight but it doesn't seem to jump of his boot. His range seems to be 30-40m anything over that he struggles for the distance.

Bit of a fluff session to get the body moving.

A not.....this is training, Bailey has noted that Watts is a hard self marker, he 'missed' an 'easy' shot in Adelaide, he is probably working on his routine, and testing himself to eradicate any yips.......

A not.....this is training, Bailey has noted that Watts is a hard self marker, he 'missed' an 'easy' shot in Adelaide, he is probably working on his routine, and testing himself to eradicate any yips.......

has to be said though on game day he has not been that reliable with the set ones, it is a bit of a weakness, and one that will make a big difference to our results if it isn't sorted. Think Nick Riewoldt.

I know there has already been a report done, but I had this ready so just a bit more on training this morning!

Was a light training session but the boys were still pretty clean and there was a good vibe out there amongst the group. 

The group started off doing there warm up drills, before moving into some kicking and full ground drills, where they were moving the ball from end to end and finish there work off with a shot at goal (just about every time converted).

After that the backs and mids did a bit of contested work whilst the forwards had shot at goals, and some 9 pointer attempts. Wattsy was practicing his leading at the ball carrier and looked quite impressive.

All in all I walked away pretty impressed although it was a light training session still very little ball hit the ground.

Highlights:-

Stefan Martin - looks like he's ready for a good year, has some size about him.

Matthew Bate- looks very fit and was taking some good grabs in the drills.

Colin Sylvia - is all class and with a full pre-season he could be in for a big year.

Nathan Jones - was moving freely and looks to be over his back injury. Should play tomoro I reckon.

Brad Green- leading from the front on the training track and after having photos with kids. 

Great to see Lucas Cook- was leading up very well in the full ground drill. 

Liam  Jurrah- the clown of the group having a laugh, great to see he feels comfortable around the club.

Jake Spencer - has had a good  pre-season by the looks of it and could be a good substitute player. 

Rehab group:-

Tom Scully

Jordie McKenzie 

Cale Morton

James Frawley &

- one other who I couldn't pick up who it was!

Absent:-

Wonnas

Gysberts 

Newton

Tom McNamara

Tapscott

Gawn

Fitzpatrick &

- quite a few more

It seems most of our young kids were not training, wasn't a great sign but I'm not too worried, could possibly  be doing some work inside.

I believe the guys training today was the playing group for tomorrow. Should have a good side in.

Feel free to correct me or if I have missed something.

Hope you enjoyed the report: Go Dees.

Yeah from the squad that has been released that is pretty much who was training today.

Obviously Petterd is ok and will play even though he didn't do much running.

From the squads released and those who were training they are obviously taking a cotton wool approach to Tappy and The Gyz because as far as i know they aren't injured.

And for those commenting on Watts goal kicking. From what i saw he didn't miss one today even kicking them on his left foot on the run from 30-40. He and LJ are similar in that they only seem to kick the ball hard enough for it to go through the goals. Neither kick the ball like a bomb but both are very accurate. I will back both in 95% of the time from set shots and as both develop more power in their legs so too will come the ability to roost them from longer distances.

has to be said though on game day he has not been that reliable with the set ones, it is a bit of a weakness, and one that will make a big difference to our results if it isn't sorted. Think Nick Riewoldt.

Sorry C & B, I supposed your glass of beer is always half empty?.....

Edited by satyricon

Don't see that at all.

well fact is he has missed a considerable portion of gettable set shots he's had so far, one cost us a match in Freo, so i don't know how you can dispute it

I don't really think the lad has had enough set shots in games for us to know either way yet. You can say "one in Freo", but even though it was a more noticeable one, it was still only one, other people can say "he's spot on in training", but when all is said and done we really won't know until later this season once he's had a bunch of set shots.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Scully's knee taped so obviously taking it cautiously at the moment.

Seeming Scully is allowed to train again are we to assume he has agreed to terms?

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Thanks for the report.

yeah but we're talking about set shots. He sliced a bad one just last week, i am not making this up believe it or not

I feel that this is an odd thing to say, apart from one game it really hasn't occurred to me that he has a weakness in this area and trust me I've been watching him like a hawk.

I did some research on footywire and whilst it doesn't show specific stats for set shot goals he's kicked 12 goals and 6 behinds in his career to date. Those stats don't strike me as being a chronic problem.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the kid

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-melbourne-demons--jack-watts

well fact is he has missed a considerable portion of gettable set shots he's had so far, one cost us a match in Freo, so i don't know how you can dispute it

ummm - we lost by 11 points so unless the Watts attempt at goal instead of a point was under super goal rules and then miraculously swung back after going through the goals, bounced off the point post three time to give us the extra three points for a total of 12 points we needed to win the game ( as we lost by 11 points ) I think I will dispute that Watts' miss at goal cost us the game.

Feel free to correct my math.

He (Watts) dobbed one from outside 50 to win the semi (?) in the under 18's at Etihad. Also that pass to Dunn in the square last year off 1 step went 50 effortlessly.

Coaches and Connolly have said he's one of the best set shots at the club. So I don't think it's a problem. A kid making his way in the game, and everyone misses set shots.

However he does slice when he misses, almost every time. To me that's a good thing, says his routine is always the same.

He (Watts) dobbed one from outside 50 to win the semi (?) in the under 18's at Etihad. Also that pass to Dunn in the square last year off 1 step went 50 effortlessly.

Coaches and Connolly have said he's one of the best set shots at the club. So I don't think it's a problem. A kid making his way in the game, and everyone misses set shots.

However he does slice when he misses, almost every time. To me that's a good thing, says his routine is always the same.

I agree he is a very good set shot, it will be more a technique thing that can be fixed. Just watch any set shot over 40m it just doesn't come off right on the run and in general play it is OK.

yeah but we're talking about set shots. He sliced a bad one just last week, i am not making this up believe it or not

I assume your referring to the one where it sent less than a metre to the right of the right goal post. That wasn't a massive slice. Yeah it came slightly of the side of the boot, but i'd say that people are overreacting in being concerned about his goal kicking when we really have only a small sample size to work with.

I mean we could isolate a couple weeks of the season Green had last year and pick out problems with his kicking and get concerned as well.

Also that pass to Dunn in the square last year off 1 step went 50 effortlessly.

I recall that pass - was against the Pies on Queens Birthday? I pumped him right up amongst the Pies fans at that very moment ;)

Fantastic and sublime.

I recall that pass - was against the Pies on Queens Birthday? I pumped him right up amongst the Pies fans at that very moment ;)

Fantastic and sublime.

yeah he's fantastic in general play kicking, just the sets.. might have a lot to do with pressure which is understandable..