2011 Pass Mark

Redleg

Obviously we will all have different expectations of what would constitute a successful 2011 for the Dees and for me I would like to see a top 8 finish. All the other things like getting games into players will happen as the season unfolds. I believe we are capable of making the 8 unless we have a terrible run with injuries. In my view we have the talent to make the 8 and that should be the minimum aim of the team. While we will have an extremely young list, that should not be a barrier to winning games. There will be plenty of experience mingled with youthful pace and endeavour.

I have never seen a more talented list on paper at Melbourne and I think the time has come to start showing the footy world we are on the way back and heading towards being a really good team. I have deliberately not used the word "premiership" as that is still some way off, but then again when you look at the Pies, maybe not that far off.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously we will all have different expectations of what would constitute a successful 2011 for the Dees and for me I would like to see a top 8 finish. All the other things like getting games into players will happen as the season unfolds. I believe we are capable of making the 8 unless we have a terrible run with injuries. In my view we have the talent to make the 8 and that should be the minimum aim of the team. While we will have an extremely young list, that should not be a barrier to winning games. There will be plenty of experience mingled with youthful pace and endeavour.

I have never seen a more talented list on paper at Melbourne and I think the time has come to start showing the footy world we are on the way back and heading towards being a really good team. I have deliberately not used the word "premiership" as that is still some way off, but then again when you look at the Pies, maybe not that far off.

Yes, injuries permitting we should be playing for a finals spot when we go to PA in the last round but I don't like hard and fast measures while we are still building.

I want to see Watts play CHF more, I want to see what Strauss and Blease and Tapscott have got.

I want to see if Spencer can ruck in an AFL-intense game.

I want Scully and Trengove to learn different roles to make them more complete players, but I also want to expose the kids to the pressure of a good midfield.

It all adds up to more progression toward a flag but lessens the chances of doing well in 2011.

Yes, injuries permitting we should be playing for a finals spot when we go to PA in the last round but if I don't like hard and fast measures while we are still building.

I want to see Watts play CHF more, I want to see what Strauss and Blease and Tapscott have got.

I want Scully and Trengove to learn different roles to make them more complete players, but I also want to expose the kids to the pressure of a good midfield.

It all adds up to more progression toward a flag but lessens the chances of doing well in 2011.

On. Same. Page.

Again.

Some things I'd like to see. (If they don't, I'll just rip up my membership/thing bought from the MFC shop and never go to another game - no big deal).

Finish top 8 - obviously.

Win 44+ quarters - Bails has always been interested in this stat and, like wins, we've improved each year. Interestingly, however, this year we won 36 whilst in 2009 we won 32 and split one. It surprised me because we won 4 and a half games more but only 4 more quarters. I'd like to see us stay competitive for longer in more matches and convert periods of dominance (either over an opposition's forwardline or midfield).

Have a percentage over 100 - We haven't done this for 5 seasons, it's about time we score more overall than our opposition.

Win QB - Duh.

People have to realise that - with the loss of Bruce, Miller and Mcdonald - we'll essentially have less experience than the team of 2010. We will still go missing for periods of time, perhaps even weeks, but I hope to see the youngsters minimse this - that will be a great sign for me.

Jack Watts continue to improve, better use his attributes and show a bit more intensity/urgency at the contest.

Jamie Bennell to stop doing his disappearing act.

Grimes to move into the middle and join Gys, Scully, Trengove, Moloney, Jones, Davey, Morton etc. and see improvement in each.

Guest Checker

-A good start to the season (we've been smashed in round 1 the last few years)

-A top 8 finish

-The further development of our youngsters

-Players like Sylvia to take the next step

-MFC defeating some of the top teams (eg collingwood)

If our boys give it a red hot crack I think they could suprise us all with how far they could go. Bring on 2011.

While acknowledging our loss of experience, I reckon this will be offset to some degree by our more favourable draw, and the experience that we have already put into some our young guns. 11 or 12 wins would be a solid pass mark for me, and probably get us into the finals. If we could then go on to win a final, we will be ahead of schedule and earn a credit rating IMO.

Yes, injuries permitting we should be playing for a finals spot when we go to PA in the last round but if I don't like hard and fast measures while we are still building.

Spot on, and to be honest, I think this is fairly obvious.

*Might want to remove that "if" in the first line.

45's focus on quarters is interesting.

I know Bailey has produced this stat from time to time.

I think 44+ out of 88 as an expectation is maybe asking too much at this stage (winning 50%+ of our quarters).

Obviously you don't want to put limits on the kids, but I'd be happy with 40+.

General improvement is what I want to see, but not necessarily in the wins column.

I think we as supporters are smarter than that.

-A top 8 finish

-The further development of our youngsters

-Players like Sylvia to take the next step

-MFC defeating some of the top teams (eg collingwood)

If our boys give it a red hot crack I think they could suprise us all with how far they could go. Bring on 2011.

Really, what does this even mean?

To me, that's so vague it's not even worth mentioning.

Not trying to have a go at you, because a lot of people come out with this type of statement, but what more do you want from Sylvia, a bit more specifically?

13 wins.

However, If it's 9 or 10 but we just miss out on a few then it's fairly close to the mark.

see how easy that is?

But you said the same as this year is not acceptable (paraphrasing).

Then you've just said the above.

?

Really, what does this even mean?

To me, that's so vague it's not even worth mentioning.

Not trying to have a go at you, because a lot of people come out with this type of statement, but what more do you want from Sylvia, a bit more specifically?

He wants him to be in contention for the Brownlow Medal, obviously.

We have all seem him rip teams apart for parts of matches and we know he has all the tools, but right now is not quite an A-grade/elite player because he doesn't do it often enough

What is so crazy about that?

He wants him to be in contention for the Brownlow Medal, obviously.

We have all seem him rip teams apart for parts of matches and we know he has all the tools, but right now is not quite an A-grade/elite player because he doesn't do it often enough

What is so crazy about that?

Once again, you're not getting it...

Further to 45's comment on quarters won (Bailey's measuring stick), I'm big on improvement in terms of % as a whole. If we can improve on % again, that would be a step forward. I think that can be used as an indicator for progress. Not just wins/losses when we are still rebuilding/developing.

hahahhaha ok then... yep, you win.

look, the other day you couldnt understand what i meant when mentioned 3 players get votes out of 44 in game of football. So perhaps comprehension isn't your strong point.

The man asked a question, i gave him an answer, 13 wins. Because of simpletons like you, that get off on nitpicking other people's posts for no apparent reason, or maybe they just cant understand them, i included the comment that you don't just judge it on wins but how close you came to winning.

If you don't understand that, i can draw you a picture. In crayon.

We haven't won a game in the opening two rounds since 2005. Indeed, we've only won 1 Round One match since 2003 (bit of a toungue twister).

Further to 45's comment on quarters won (Bailey's measuring stick), I'm big on improvement in terms of % as a whole. If we can improve on % again, that would be a step forward. I think that can be used as an indicator for progress. Not just wins/losses when we are still rebuilding/developing.

That was also in my comments.

look, the other day you couldnt understand what i meant when mentioned 3 players get votes out of 44 in game of football. So perhaps comprehension isn't your strong point.

The man asked a question, i gave him an answer, 13 wins. Because of simpletons like you, that get off on nitpicking other people's posts for no apparent reason, or maybe they just cant understand them, i included the comment that you don't just judge it on wins but how close you came to winning.

Ugh.

yep me and the author of the post and everyone else aren't getting it. Just you. Go on then explain what was so crazy about his post

You've made a clear and generous assumption of what he means.

It's simple. You said there were 3 votes - there are 6.

I said 24 players across a round share the votes, you were talking about 44 players that are contenders for the votes across a single match.

Clear miscommunication, due to you misuse of terminology. I'm over it.

13 wins is fine.

BUT I said the same result as this year would be acceptable to me.

You disagreed.

NOW you have added a caveat that the situation in which close games are lost would be acceptable... essentially agreeing with what I originally said.

Yet you are still arguing about... something.