Is the club telling us something about the 2011 Captaincy?

hardtack

I just received my email confirming my membership and informing that cards and other entitlements will go out in December... the interesting thing was that the only image accompanying the email was of Brad Green. It makes me wonder whether this is an indication (albeit a very subtle one) that Green will be Captain of the club in 2011.

Edited by hardtack

I just received my email confirming my membership and informing that cards and other entitlements will go out in December... the interesting thing was that the only image accompanying the email was of Brad Green. It makes me wonder whether this is an indication (albeit a very subtle one) that Green will be Captain of the club in 2011.

Marketing making an educated guess?

Marketing just putting a very good player on there?

Hey, does everyone remember the membership card we got with Thompson, Jolly and Miller?!

I think it was 2003.

I guess it didn't work out...

Yeah, fancy having a photo of the Best & Fairest winner on a club email. Strange decision.

This must mean that it's been decided that he's the new captain, but they are keeping it under wraps.

Obviously they want to slowly release suggestive emails and subtle hints without revealing who the captain is.

I can't think of any situation that would make more sense.

Yeah, fancy having a photo of the Best & Fairest winner on a club email. Strange decision.

This must mean that it's been decided that he's the new captain, but they are keeping it under wraps.

Obviously they want to slowly release suggestive emails and subtle hints without revealing who the captain is.

I can't think of any situation that would make more sense.

Ok ok.... a simple, I don't think so would have sufficed :-)

E - Let it go.

H - Is this really worth a thread?

Haven't we got players to worry about losing to other clubs?

Maybe worth a thread or maybe not but when I saw the email, that was the first thought I had... yes the best and fairest makes perfect sense but that didn't occur to me at the time... but did it warrant the response it got?... it was merely a rhetorical question and was certainly no more a waste of time than many others. However, if people want to respond with "clever"/"satirical" (read, smart-Rs) remarks, then yes I agree that it all becomes rather pointless.

Since you raised the subject, let me ask what's to be gained by discussing our worries over the possibility of losing players? As has often been proven, those kinds of threads tend to feed on the negativity that has been the unfortunate domain of the average Dee's supporter for far too long.

Edit... so much changes during the time it takes to type out a response... seems this discussion visited Jenny Craig while I wasn't looking :-)

Edited by hardtack

Since you raised the subject, let me ask what's to be gained by discussing our worries over the possibility of losing players? As has often been proven, those kinds of threads tend to feed on the negativity that has been the unfortunate domain of the average Dee's supporter for far too long.

You don't know me. I'll introduce myself.

I'm rpfc, and I am a sarcastic [censored].

I was being flippant.

Those threads, like the one HO007 started are just manifestations of MFCSS like you say.

If you team it up with the other merchandise that Brad Green is fronting at the moment then you might have a point, but even then I don't think it suggests anything.

May well be right if what MK08 said on Demonology has any truth to it: "Just spoke to the club who mentioned captaincy will be a player vote that is recommended to the board. Awaiting rookies to get drafted votes lodged by Xmas".

Was the first thought that popped into my head too.

I hope so, I believe he would make the best captain our club has had in many years. As I said on SEN many years ago the captaincy actually improves some players games and our Brad is one of them.

This is one of those instances where the wrong logic will accidently lead to the correct conclusion.

Nothing like this rock that I have that keeps tigers away.

Yeah?

Well do you see any tigers around?

PS. I wonder if HO007 would like the rock? It'll cost him...

Edited by rpfc

Guest hangon007

I'm rpfc, and I am a sarcastic [censored].

You could have stoped there. ^^^^

PS .. Oh and you missed I live with my head in the sand or permanently stuck where the sun dont shine.

Edited by hangon007

I hope so, I believe he would make the best captain our club has had in many years. As I said on SEN many years ago the captaincy actually improves some players games and our Brad is one of them.

What makes you so sure in Green's case? He doesn't even have it yet (although I see it as a formality).

I think he has already been playing at the peak of his abilities for the past couple of years.

I don't think he has any improvement in him.

As I said on SEN many years ago the captaincy actually improves some players games and our Brad is one of them.

Is he ? How so ? He's not yet been given the captaincy.

I've heard numerous people spruik that it improves them as players, years ago. Even decades ago. Well before the birth of SEN. Some also have struggled; it's been a burden for some too.

What makes you so sure in Green's case? He doesn't even have it yet (although I see it as a formality).

I think he has already been playing at the peak of his abilities for the past couple of years.

I don't think he has any improvement in him.

I would agree with you on his playing at the peak of his abilities, but the improvement I could see would be in terms of his ability to motivate other players around him. Some players like Moloney and Sylvia seem to be naturals at providing vocal support and encouragement on-field whereas I think Green tends to be less so... perhaps the Captaincy would see him improve in that area. I don't think there would be any doubts about his ability to inspire with his actions... leading by example is something that comes very naturally to him.

From what I have heard from AFL captains over the years, where they often fall down is trying to change the way they go about it once made captain.

They change their approach and focus on the wrong things.

After a while they come to the realization that the reason they were made captain was their approach prior to being appointed.

While I don't disagree that it's a possibility, I think expecting a player's behavior/leadership to change for the better upon being given the captaincy is a common misconception.

If anything, we as supporters probably just pay more attention to those aspects of their game and the role gives them a forum to display those qualities to the public.