Best 18

old55

The NEW NBA Jam? Any good?

Yeah, but because it's a lot like the original one, only new and shiny.

Heaps of old player unlocks.

Cool "remix" modes.

But it's a game best played with mates.

...back to the thread...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, was playing NBA Jam...

Round 18

Pick 176 - Daniel Motlop - Port Adelaide

B:  S.Selwood D.Merrett C.Brown

HB B.Deledio M.Scarlett N.Malceski

C;  N.Dal Santo T.Boak C.Bateman

HF D.Motlop L.Hansen R.Petterd

F:  H.Ballantyne B.Hall C.Dawes

R: D.Hille C.Judd B.Vince

Happy with that. 

A lot of pace, ball winners and users, 3 proven KPP's and a bit of x factor up front. 

Players I really wanted but missed:

Waters - biggest mistake

Wanted Burgoyne for the wing

Sylvia or Green for HFF

But I got most of the team I pencilled in after rnd 5. 

I like my half back line. 

This is a pretty fair effort DA! Cracking side.

My opinion would be hell yes! Let's see what the powers that be say.

What about a separate thread when the teams are completed, posting all final teams (ie by tomorrow night the last post of your team will be considered final), and then discussing them once at a time.

Master, not sure if you got to read old55's post(s) on the other page of this thread but old55 is getting a panel of astute (learned) judges (independant from the entrants for the draft) to judge our sides with a 5-4-3-2-1 vote and reasons for each. We can sit back and read. I think that's the best way. Then we can comment further afterwards if necessary...

Scarlett at CHB?

Yes. You've never seen Scarlett streaming through the middle and delivering to just over half forward?

Also I really wanted Merrett, but Scarlett was first choice.

The theory goes that coaches want Scarlett played as far from goal as possible. Well my theory is if HT wants The Pav to drag Scarlett to the wing, I'm happy to have the Pav as far from goal as possible.

Yeah, but because it's a lot like the original one, only new and shiny.

Heaps of old player unlocks.

Cool "remix" modes.

But it's a game best played with mates.

...back to the thread...

Yeah, thinking of grabbing it for the Wii.

I only ever use that thing with mates & a few beers anyway.

Yes. You've never seen Scarlett streaming through the middle and delivering to just over half forward?

Well my theory is if HT wants The Pav to drag Scarlett to the wing, I'm happy to have the Pav as far from goal as possible.

The Pav would cream Scarlo.

Boom Boom.

Sorry, was playing NBA Jam...

Round 18

Pick 176 - Daniel Motlop - Port Adelaide

B:  S.Selwood D.Merrett C.Brown

HB B.Deledio M.Scarlett N.Malceski

C;  N.Dal Santo T.Boak C.Bateman

HF D.Motlop L.Hansen R.Petterd

F:  H.Ballantyne B.Hall C.Dawes

R: D.Hille C.Judd B.Vince

I like your midfield, and you've loaded up on goalkickers up forward which has positives (marking power) and negatives (forward pressure falls to Petterd and Ballantyne and midfield rotations are minimal). I can't say anything positive for that full back line sorry, except its got a good very CHB line infront of it presuming Scarlett has the tank for CHB these days. Think C. Brown is up on the GC for $$$ and is close to finished as a serious AFL player. Think S. Selwood is more Troy than Adam. Merrett had a shocker in 2010, when I think of him I think bags of goals.

Master, not sure if you got to read old55's post(s) on the other page of this thread but old55 is getting a panel of astute (learned) judges (independant from the entrants for the draft) to judge our sides with a 5-4-3-2-1 vote and reasons for each. We can sit back and read. I think that's the best way. Then we can comment further afterwards if necessary...

Yeah I'm aware they are voting. What about listing the final teams in a separate thread to be voted on and for their discussion?

Also I really wanted Merrett, but Scarlett was first choice.

The theory goes that coaches want Scarlett played as far from goal as possible. Well my theory is if HT wants The Pav to drag Scarlett to the wing, I'm happy to have the Pav as far from goal as possible.

Scarlett can't run with Pav though, he doesn't have the endurance.

I think you erred there and needed to get a CHB instead of Merret.

Goose Macguire wouldve done it & he's still there!

I think you're missing a true crumbing forward too, but other than that it's a rock solid side.

Equal best.

Yeah I'm aware they are voting. What about listing the final teams in a separate thread to be voted on and for their discussion?

We'll leave it to old55 and see what he'd like. He's done well so far.

I know what you mean, but I think old55 would prefer that he hand pick some good judges that could discuss well with reason for each side judged. I'm sure they'd be unbiased judges. e25 - was that you I saw slip rpfc a $20 ? ;)

I like your midfield, and you've loaded up on goalkickers up forward which has positives (marking power) and negatives (forward pressure falls to Petterd and Ballantyne and midfield rotations are minimal). I can't say anything positive for that full back line sorry, except its got a good very CHB line infront of it presuming Scarlett has the tank for CHB these days. Think C. Brown is up on the GC for $$$ and is close to finished as a serious AFL player. Think S. Selwood is more Troy than Adam. Merrett had a shocker in 2010, when I think of him I think bags of goals.

I sort of agree.

I put Campbell Brown in there because he has a name and I needed a back hard backman. I'm a big fan of McKenzie from the GC but he wouldn't get a game in my midfield. I actually think C Brown is a more effective forward these days, but it'll do.

Scott Selwood is rubbish, I was actually going to go with Ashton Hams who I like a bit, but as far as I'm aware he's still a rookie and I'd look a right Goose if he never got another senior gig.

I like Merrett, highly underrated and most teams would like him in their back line.

I couldn't really get key defenders out of my other teams, as I had my eye on other positions.

Just noticed something:

Roger's team

B: C Newman Chaplin Rivers

HB Rich Fisher N Krakoeur

C Douglas Jack Melksham

HF Didak J Roughead (Haw) R Murphy

F Le Cras Podsiadly Betts

R _PICK 178____ J Selwood Mundy

HT's team

Backs: J.Frawley (Melb) A.Carlile (Port) J.Gwilt (St.K)

H-Backs: B.Gibbs (Carl) N.Bock (G Coast) A.Mackie (Geel)

Centres: *T.Scully (Melb) J.Watson (Ess) T.Cotchin (Rich)

H-Fwds: S.Burgoyne (Haw) M.Pavlich (Frem)S.Sidebottom (Coll)

Fwds: T.Banfield (Bris) J.White (Sydney) P.Dangerfield (Adel)

Foll: __PICK 180____(WCE) A.Cooney (W B'dogs) A.Swallow (Nth Melb)

With NicNat gone if Roger jumps at Cox, poor old HT gets left with the Big Q or the 18 year old Scott Lycett. Plenty of decent rucks left for Roger to go for, but he could do us all a favour by getting big Cox. Personally I think HT's team has the best collection of running players out of the lot of us. But is let down by Bock, Carlile (I know talent was low at Port when you had your pick but anyone was better than this guy when you had Frawley and Gwilt) and White. Still good enough to win it with a strong ruckman, but wont be if Cox is gone.

Just noticed something:

Roger's team

C Douglas Jack Melksham

HT's team

With NicNat gone if Roger jumps at Cox, poor old HT gets left with the Big Q or the 18 year old Scott Lycett. Plenty of decent rucks left for Roger to go for, but he could do us all a favour by getting big Cox. Personally I think HT's team has the best collection of running players out of the lot of us. But is let down by Bock, Carlile (I know talent was low at Port when you had your pick but anyone was better than this guy when you had Frawley and Gwilt) and White. Still good enough to win it with a strong ruckman, but wont be if Cox is gone.

Roger already has LeCras and he already has used his extra pick. Don't worry I've already done my homework. I knew pick 180 back at pick 100.

BTW, I will post tomorrow along with my side with the strategic reasoning for each pick.

I'll have you know Carlile & Bock are more than adequate KP backs. Carlile (gee you've easily dismissed him haven't you ?! - have you actually seen this big kid ?!) is an 23yo (74 games) up and comer, he really stepped up in 2010, holding the FB position. I suggest you take a good look at him in 2011.

Bock is self explanatory, recent AA and is far from low in talent. No let down there.

As for White, he's a 196 cm giant who after 40 odd games is a real up & comer. He was a hot topic here at trade week, with many astute people interested. With the new ruck rule, this bloke is a no brainer with a FF/Ruck rolled into one ! Highly rated by the Swans and outside the Swans. Should have gone earlier, as I figured he would be keenly sought. Hit the jackpot when available at my pick ~100 odd.

I'll go into bat with any of my selections.

Edited by High Tower

Roger already has LeCras and he already has used his extra pick. Don't worry I've already done my homework. I knew pick 180 back at pick 100.

Roger will be selecting Josh Fraser, I assume

Just noticed something:

Roger's team

C Douglas Jack Melksham

HT's team

Incorrect Master - have a look at my forward pocket

Sorry just read HT's post - and you are correct HT

Edited by Roger Mellie

Incorrect Master - have a look at my forward pocket

Sorry just read HT's post - and you are correct HT

Correct. And Trengove and Deez Nutz already have West Coast Eagles players too and have used their extra wildcard picks too. I'm home free !

I love it when a plan comes together.

I know you're looking for another possible way to take Cox off me The Master, there is no chance. He's all mine. :)

Pick 177 - Jeff Garlett - Carlton

B: Nick Maxwell (Coll) Darren Glass (WCE) Cale Hooker (Ess)

HB: Grant Birchall (Haw) Kelvin Moore (Rich) Jack Grimes (Melb)

C: Domenic Cassisi (Port) Jarred McVeigh (Syd) Leigh Montagna (StK)

HF: Brent Harvey (Nth) Jonathan Brown (Bris) Travis Varcoe (Gee)

F: Liam Patrick (GC) Kurt Tippett (Adel) Jeff Garlett (Carl)

R: Aaron Sandilands (Freo) Matthew Boyd (WB) Brad Sewell (Haw)

Round Whatever - Selection 178

T Goldstein - North Melbourne

C Douglas Jack Melksham

R Goldstein J Selwood Mundy

Two picks left. Over to you Deez Nutz..with your Port pick I assume.

My crystal ball says either Westoff or Ebert.

My mistake. I didn't miss LeCras, I missed that J. Selwood and Pods are from the same team! Oops. Anyway Goldstein is better than Cox! You can keep pumping up White but I wont be listening. Bock I think is slipping. Carlile is certainly a handy full back. I considered going for him early. He is reliable and strong and gets the job done. But you had Frawley! And for 3rd tall you had Gwilt who's a proven finals performer. I just think the Carlile selection unbalances your team a bit. Anyway as I've already said I think you have the best collection of smalls, and even if its not the best its the coolest - Cotchin, Scully, Dangerfield, Banfield, Gibbs - it's like my favourite player from each club! Edited by the master

My mistake. I didn't miss LeCras, I missed that J. Selwood and Pods are from the same team! Oops. Anyone Goldstein is better than Cox! You can keep pumping up White but I wont be listening. Bock I think is slipping. Carlile is certainly a handy full back. I considered going for him early. He is reliable and strong and gets the job done. But you had Frawley! And for 3rd tall you had Gwilt who's a proven finals performer. I just think the Carlile selection unbalances your team a bit. Anyway as I've already said I think you have the best collection of smalls, and even if its not the best its the coolest - Cotchin, Scully, Dangerfield, Banfield, Gibbs - it's like my favourite player from each club!

Yeah, and Frawley is versatile he can play on smalls. Win-win. Well balanced.

Yeah, my runners/mids are like a who's who of Number 1 and Number 2 draft picks or 1st round draft picks.

Glodstein hasn't got anything on Cox. I'll continue to bat. Don't know why you think that of Cox ?? He's a champ and in his prime at 28-29. Just a pity the rest of his team let him down in '10. How he was left untouched until last ruckman picked out of 10 rucks has got me beat. All the power to my team. :)

It's amazing when a player such as Nik Nat comes in all shiny and new, they think the ol' warhorse is done. He's not. Far from it.

FB: J. Surjan (Port) N. Grima (NM) S. Hurn (WCE)

HB: J. Kelly (Geel) L. McPharlin (Fre) J. Adcock (Bris)

C: D. Thomas (Coll) S. Thompson (Adel) S. Hill (Fre)

HF: M. Morton (Rich) L. Henderson (Carl) D. Swallow (GC)

FF: A. Monfries (Ess) L. Franklin (Haw) A. Schneider (StK)

R: M. Jamar (Melb) J.P. Kennedy (Syd) R. Griffen (WB)

Ok, I'll take a look at your side.

Nah, don't like it. ;) (kidding)

Hurn & Surjan don't convince me. Like what you've done with Grima and McPharlin. Adcock - does he still play ? I only ever see him every so often on the field - I think you know what I mean. Overpaid. Kelly is approaching his twilight but an honest trier. He's been lucky at Geelong - one of the suggested to come to Melbourne other than Moloney.

I like your centreline Thomas-Thompson-Hill, that's the highlight of your team, a bit of run.

Your half forwards appear a weakness Morton-Henderson-D.Swallow. I'd suggest Swallow to Followers, Kennedy to half forward. Your forward line is ok with the big Buddy the jewel in your crown. Good get.

Did well to get Jamar reasonably early.

With the rucks I am surprised so many went early. Roger Mellie and I went late, yet got Goldstein & Cox. We could bolster our mids and spine in the meantime. I counted some of the rucks still on offer, there's still another half-a-dozen at least that didn't get picked.