The Forward Line

beelzebub

Quite possibly. There is nothing in concrete at all and we all know that and thats for the main why there is no obvious answer. My words were somewhat directed to any whos thinking is that Watts CANT play the square.

A goodly type... tall athletic menacing with a decent leap might well provide fodder for a switchhit role. He is young but i sense the club wont be closetting him for that long.

we now have a very decent grab bag of forwards. Be very interesting to see how ( npi) it all pans out :)

Leaving my prejudice aside it seems to me that the brains trust at the Dees do not see Watts as a full forward.

From memory I do not remember seeing him play that role for more than small portions of a game.

The fact that they have tried to recruit Hale and now Drafted two full forward types makes me think

That Watts is not a full forward!

At the very least Bailey and company do not seem to think he is one!

Edited by old dee

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving my prejudice aside it seems to me that the brains trust at the Dees do not see Watts as a full forward.

From memory I do not remember seeing him play that role for more than small portions of a game.

The fact that they have tried to recruit Hale and now Drafted two full forward types makes me think

I always thought he was being groomed to be a CHF maybe in the mould of a riewoldt

I agree - Watts played his best games floating around the ground, getting his confidence up by gathering multiple possessions and kicking long.

His pre-AFL footage showed he was a strong pack mark and dead-eye kick on goal - but again, playing on 17yos!

That being said, i'd say he's streaks ahead at this stage of his career than the other 'developmental player' who some argued we shoulda got, NicNat!

Howe looks to be X-Factor - correct me if im wrong but he was playing in TFL, ie on grown men? Better value, and will be better prepared for an AFL season than Watts was, ala Trengove

But yeah, it doesn't seem the FD are really showing much confidence in our current structure...

What The Hell is going on with reports they are now looking at Ash "WAFL King" Hansen?!?

Obviously they think we are one extra tall short, but gimme a break - neither Hale nor Hansen could even crack a game in the Kangas/ Worst Team In The AFL, and now we wanna bring that type of shite into our emerging squad? [censored] please!

All we really need is another ruck to make his mark, so Jamar can have a rest/ be tall target - was a good pack mark at FF, but i guess can't really be the long term answer...hopefully the rooks develop quick OR an actual key position player of some quality (as opposed to being Best Of Whats Left!) becomes available

But yeah, it doesn't seem the FD are really showing much confidence in our current structure...

What The Hell is going on with reports they are now looking at Ash "WAFL King" Hansen?!?

Obviously they think we are one extra tall short, but gimme a break - neither Hale nor Hansen could even crack a game in the Kangas/ Worst Team In The AFL, and now we wanna bring that type of shite into our emerging squad? [censored] please!

All we really need is another ruck to make his mark, so Jamar can have a rest/ be tall target - was a good pack mark at FF, but i guess can't really be the long term answer...hopefully the rooks develop quick OR an actual key position player of some quality (as opposed to being Best Of Whats Left!) becomes available

There are no reports we are looking at Hansen. There is, however, [censored] poor journalism stating we will probably be interested.

I reckon I started going on about lack of Key Forwards about 4 or 5 years ago, I'm finally happy!!

You're right Jarka, I'm happy too

Mind you a few years ago you could have said all KPPs. We didn't have much of a spine at all

AND we've got a midfield too!

Something Essendon haven't been able to do.

Yep, at least in the making

Now just one more KPB and a 2ndRuck

All coming together nicely

....and with the recruitment (and continued development of Jack Viney) we don't have to worry so much about topping up our midfield stocks. We can concentrate through the 2011 draft / trade period on those other needs (although at least this years draft we went some way towards another KPB) being a second ruck, a high skilled running HB and a KPB.

Edited by Grandson of a gun

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. IMO he is far more damaging as a forward and should play about 80%+ of his time there for the rest of his career.

I agree with you Deemo how good is he taking a contested mark in the forward line. Also in the top ten of goal kickers out of the league

Edited by Happeninghunts

Was fiddling around with some possible Demon sides and for the first time I can recall, I am finding it hard to fit all of the possibles into the forward line. In years gone by some of the boys I am leaving out would have been certainties. Now there are a few more draftees to come.

For example without listing all of them LJ, Watts, Dunn, Sylvia, Aussie, Bennell, Petterd, Green, Bate, maybe Morton/Bail and then to come maybe Tapscott, Fitzpatrick, Cook, Howe, Gawn, Martin, Jetta etc.

I am feeling very optimistic about our future.

IMO, Wattsy won't play @ full forward until he''s bigger & stronger & more able to look after himself physically, so he should, until that time, play high up the ground as a leadup & roaming game.

Eventually, I think he'll (Watts) play deep on rotations, especially with Cook, who has excellent endurance, but may lack quickness. Suggesting to me that Cook, could play a leadup role when he's ready to play in the seniors.

My hope is that they'll be able to switch positions with one another, on an as needs basis.

The other one who could eventually play deep & TALL, is Tom McDonald.

Still I Don't expect to see much of any of them next season @ AFL level.

Edited by dee-luded

what i like about our forwardline is there is alot of variety, there is alot of players who can play in different positions, and there is alot of players who we can play in our forward line.

the other thing i like about our forward line is the quality of disposal from most of the players up front, most of the players have a safe set shot, but also the bigger players are able to dart a pass to another forward, with increasing ball into our fwd half of the field this can only lead to more and more scoring oppourtunities and goals.