NFL

Dappa Dan

Chargers should have won that ... a basic error cost them. Rivers would be kicking himself ... Arizona might challenge again although they are in the "group of death." The Lions won well but the Giants looked ordinary.

After seeing the efforts of Washington, Dallas and the Giants, it's hard to see the Eagles not taking out the NFC East without too much fuss. As for Detroit, the jury is out until they can win a few against the big guns (they've got a tough road schedule)

Anyway, here's the points tally in the tipping comp ...

0 - All of us

Next week is the first of the bonus weeks in the comp so 2 points are up for grabs ... remembering that anyone can join in at any time and as you can see, you're not exactly starting behind the 8 ball ^_^

Striker and Dappa are in so we're up to 8 participants so far ... NFL tipping comp rules (First post on the link)

... week 2 schedule

• Like 1

It's certainly a lot tougher to tip than you think!

Saints over browns

Patriots over Vikings

Seahawks over chargers

Yep, from memory, a few of us were sitting on between 1 and 4 points after 16 weeks last season! Strangely enough, about 5 of us all got 3 points in the last week (week 17 carries triple points)

Anyway, as Demons, we're well used to shared pain.

We haven't seen 'Strafford' back here yet ... him and 'cowboy from hell' were joint winners last season with a total of 9 points each.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

TV games (unfortunately 7mate haven't got the Friday game listed)

Another excellent line-up of live games, all the same ...

Friday

10.00am Pittsburgh at Baltimore (ESPN)

Monday

3.00am - 9.30am RedZone (ESPN ... "Every Touchdown From Every Game")

3.00am Detroit at Carolina (7mate)

6.30am Kansas City at Denver (7mate)

10.30am Chicago at San Francisco (7mate & ESPN)

Tuesday

10.30am Philadelphia at Indianapolis (ESPN)

... All the week 2 games

and ... The BS Report (podcast with Bill Simmons)

Bonus points up for grabs this week (2 points) but I'll do well to trouble the scorers ...

New Orleans

Seattle

Miami

Everyone is getting hammered for the Rice affair.

I think Keith Olbermann speaks best when it comes to this subject.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

Interesting video CFH.

Personally I think that's an extreme end of the spectrum, his attack on Goodell and others. I like Goodell, and think he's done a pretty good job so far. His whole "accessory" thing, and the idea of us all being accessories after the fact is pretty normal for American TV, and I don't think is in any way the truth. Just typical overwrought pseudo-journalism.

This has been a fairly big screwup/oversight, on a large scale, and I reckon maybe will cost Goodell his job, which might be a good thing in terms of statements being made by the NFL, despite the fact I reckon he's been ok for the NFL in general.

As for Rice, he's gotta go, right? I have Mick the [censored] Vick in my Avatar, so I reckon he should be brought up here. The two crimes are obviously not comparable, but I have to wonder what the NFL's policy will be on the fact that Rice is unlikely to do time, and is begging for a second chance?

Interesting video CFH.

Personally I think that's an extreme end of the spectrum, his attack on Goodell and others. I like Goodell, and think he's done a pretty good job so far. His whole "accessory" thing, and the idea of us all being accessories after the fact is pretty normal for American TV, and I don't think is in any way the truth. Just typical overwrought pseudo-journalism.

This has been a fairly big screwup/oversight, on a large scale, and I reckon maybe will cost Goodell his job, which might be a good thing in terms of statements being made by the NFL, despite the fact I reckon he's been ok for the NFL in general.

As for Rice, he's gotta go, right? I have Mick the [censored] Vick in my Avatar, so I reckon he should be brought up here. The two crimes are obviously not comparable, but I have to wonder what the NFL's policy will be on the fact that Rice is unlikely to do time, and is begging for a second chance?

It's all very odd. I agree that goodell has done a great job up until now. From what I've read the majority of owners are very happy with goodell. What I can't understand is if the nfl did see the full video why would they give a soft penalty and then lie about the whole process. That doesn't seem like something goodell would do. Also after seeing the first video it's not hard to have a guess of what happened in the elevator. The most mind boggling thing is Rice should be in handcuffs right now. It's a filthy crime. As for Vick he did his time and got what he deserved. At the moment the only punishment Rice has received for his crime is a season off. If he were to return like Vick did it would be without any serious punishment for a criminal act. Edited by cowboy_from_hell

Yeah I've heard things about the police getting involved in some way since the vid was released.

My FAVOURITE thing about Goodell is how he often admits fault. How likely do you think it would be that Demetriou would admit fault? I admire Goodell's stance on many cutting edge issues like depression, concussion and of course the GLBT community. They don't HAVE to show support, but they do. We all look at it almost as a "so what" thing... but in one of the most traditionalist and backward organisations in the world, I reckon it's extraordinary that they've come so far. And Goodell deserves some of the credit for that.

Now that I think about it, is it possible that in the past he has been seen to be too reactionary to public sentiment? Throwing out bans of 6-8 weeks as a direct result of youtube clips etc.... maybe this one time he was trying to go slow... and managed to pick the worst possible time.

Yeah good summation of the Vick thing. Rice is in a unique position here. He hasn't acted contrite, hasn't accepted any blame.... he really could pull a Vick and make a difference here. Vick's response in the media and rehab has been an enormous success. He recognises he'll never be forgiven, but works tirelessly despite that fact. Is now a family man and, from an Eagles supporter's point of view, pretty much the most professional attitude to football, especially being backup, that there is out there.

I'm 99% sure that Rice shouldn't be given the opportunity to play again though. Are you?

• Like 1

Have you played Ultimate Footy JV7? It's a bit less complicated than that..... but don't worry. Your first season, against experienced opposition, you're definitely up against it. I started this thread years ago, and have been a huge NFL fan this whole time, and this is my first year in NFL fantasy, and I'm still a bit lost...

• Like 1

Yeah I've heard things about the police getting involved in some way since the vid was released.

My FAVOURITE thing about Goodell is how he often admits fault. How likely do you think it would be that Demetriou would admit fault? I admire Goodell's stance on many cutting edge issues like depression, concussion and of course the GLBT community. They don't HAVE to show support, but they do. We all look at it almost as a "so what" thing... but in one of the most traditionalist and backward organisations in the world, I reckon it's extraordinary that they've come so far. And Goodell deserves some of the credit for that.

Now that I think about it, is it possible that in the past he has been seen to be too reactionary to public sentiment? Throwing out bans of 6-8 weeks as a direct result of youtube clips etc.... maybe this one time he was trying to go slow... and managed to pick the worst possible time.

Yeah good summation of the Vick thing. Rice is in a unique position here. He hasn't acted contrite, hasn't accepted any blame.... he really could pull a Vick and make a difference here. Vick's response in the media and rehab has been an enormous success. He recognises he'll never be forgiven, but works tirelessly despite that fact. Is now a family man and, from an Eagles supporter's point of view, pretty much the most professional attitude to football, especially being backup, that there is out there.

I'm 99% sure that Rice shouldn't be given the opportunity to play again though. Are you?

No I don't think he should play again. If he were arrested and sentenced like a normal citizen then I would understand that he has done his time and is a free man. Even if that happened it wouldn't sit well with me if he played again but right now he is the exact opposite to Vick in every way as you pointed out.

No I don't think he should play again. If he were arrested and sentenced like a normal citizen then I would understand that he has done his time and is a free man. Even if that happened it wouldn't sit well with me if he played again but right now he is the exact opposite to Vick in every way as you pointed out.

Yeah. I have a feeling double jeopardy means he won't.