Tall recruit options?

dee-luded

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarrad Waite

http://www.footywire...s--jarrad-waite

As tall options go he'd be a versatile aquisition who could play Front & Back. A talented player without the superstar status.

What are peoples thoughts on him, as we build towards top 4,,,,,,,,,, & other tall options?

I dont like his attitude. In the game against Sydney he was forever remonstrating with the umpires when he wasnt given a free kick for some supposed hands in the back or other infringement. He is very athletic and versatile but I agree with other posters that he has a history of suspensions and injuries.

If Hale is cheap (and he isnt) then PJ is worthless on the trade table.

They have a surplus of talls and they want draft picks for developmental purposes...so they will look for the right deal.

Rohan Bail in the future?? But Bartram is a keeper for the moment.

I think it is much harder to predict what a player is worth on the transfer table this year than previously. McIntosh, who as a genuine ruckman I rate higher than Hale, was available for a pick around 10-13 last year (or possibly the year before).

After two very ordinary seasons Hale should be worth quite a bit less than that, but with a compromised draft, who knows. It is one of those situations however where him having two years left on his contract may actually be a good thing if North want to free up some cap room as he must be on decent coin.

Pick swap or player? To be honest, I'm not sure what North need at the moment.

Agree about Bartram and PJ. Bartram would be easily in the top 5 most improved this year and PJ has gone backwards.

hasn't Hale been struggling at nth ballarat? shuffling the deck chairs to me. what about ryan schoenmakers?

Ryan schoenmakers is one player I was very interested in a couple of years back as a tall mobile half forward, but is one who can go back to defence & play the 'Garland' role.

IMO, the equivalent this year of the little I've seen is Zac Fitzgerald, but IMO, Zac would play marginally "Taller", but very mobile.... IMO, he's a player who could play as a mobile tall forward, or as a 2nd/3rd tall defender.

Watsons the man who can take the bigger jobs down back or push forward. (Brian Lake-ish) IMO a bit like Hurley but slightly bigger/stronger.

Edited by dee-luded

The Jumping Jack, could he possibly come onto the market. Hawkins is a big boy who can go into the ruck .

Worth anything to us?

Whilst he has not performed to the standard that everyone thought that he would his asking price from both a trade view and contractual view would be very high based on potential...

He is probably two years away from breaking open games... has the body, not the head (yet)

Most players develop their body as they develop their footy nous

The Jumping Jack, could he possibly come onto the market. Hawkins is a big boy who can go into the ruck .

Worth anything to us?

It's definitely an option.

I wonder what their price would be.

From what we have discussed, in order of preference of established players:

White then Hawkins then Hale then Lynch.

Get Daniel Stewart from Port Adelaide.

Height 200cm

Weight 94kg

Former vic boy who moved around to get his opportunity. Rookied last year and promoted this year.

Played 10 games and kicked 11 goals. Beautiful hands and good kick for goal. Strong in the air is what i like about him and moves well.

Picked Kurt Tippett b4 his breakout year, Jesse White (hasn't stepped up but will), Daniel Stewart is my next pick.

Willing to use any of Maric, Strauss, Jones, Warnock for him.

What about the two SA kids ... (sorry I didn't see them this year - so I cant comment) ... in Gorringe & Lycett?

Gorringe is top class. However not overly tall- by memory under the 200 cm level.(198 cms- thereabouts).However, we have Gawn at 208 and still growing I here, and Fitzpatrick at 200 cms tall- whilst a decision on Spencer at 203 cms is still to be announced-I doubt if we need another ruckman.

Gorringe is top class. However not overly tall- by memory under the 200 cm level.(198 cms- thereabouts).However, we have Gawn at 208 and still growing I here, and Fitzpatrick at 200 cms tall- whilst a decision on Spencer at 203 cms is still to be announced-I doubt if we need another ruckman.

I think that gorringe just tips 200cm now (with thick socks on). Will be in contention for our first pick as he is very dangerous when pushed forward.

Height 200cm

Weight 94kg

Former vic boy who moved around to get his opportunity. Rookied last year and promoted this year.

Played 10 games and kicked 11 goals. Beautiful hands and good kick for goal. Strong in the air is what i like about him and moves well.

Picked Kurt Tippett b4 his breakout year, Jesse White (hasn't stepped up but will), Daniel Stewart is my next pick.

Will be very hard to convince Port to trade him away. Seen as their long term strong marking full forward to take over from Tredrea...

Height 200cm

Weight 94kg

Yeah, I think you're onto a good one here Jacey, but not sure Port would let him go easily.

Hale would be much better backup than PJ.

If we could get I'm cheap, I'd take him and release or trade (not likely) PJ.

There's talk of Hale again & after yesterday's GF, I've started to revisit the 'Tall' recruit Idea.

Malthouse has brought a New equation to the AFL table. That frontal press.

Now I'm prepared to rethink the Josh Fraser idea. We can learn a lot about the subtleties of this setup from recruiting Fraser, as well as getting a short term backup.

I think the best way forward is to draft our own, taking the same approach that has gonna us this far.

In my opinion, there are 3 tall forwards who would suit us, all of whom are rated between pick 5-15. One should hopefully slip to pick 12, since 5 of the top 10 will definitely be Swallow, Bennel, Day, Heppel and Gorringe. That leaves 6 more players to be taken before our pick 12, and there are several other very highly rated midfielders who will be picked up probably top 10, including Gaff, Atley, Polec, Prestia and Smedts.

1. Lucas Cook (North Ballarat Rebels, Vic) 194

2. Jack Darling (West Perth, WA) 191

3. Tom Lynch (Dandenong Stingrays, Vic) 196

These are the guys we should be targeting.

If we draft one of these 3 to add to Watts, Jurrah, Petterd, Green etc, we will have stockpiled enough forward talent to move us forward

I think the best way forward is to draft our own, taking the same approach that has gonna us this far.

In my opinion, there are 3 tall forwards who would suit us, all of whom are rated between pick 5-15. One should hopefully slip to pick 12, since 5 of the top 10 will definitely be Swallow, Bennel, Day, Heppel and Gorringe. That leaves 6 more players to be taken before our pick 12, and there are several other very highly rated midfielders who will be picked up probably top 10, including Gaff, Atley, Polec, Prestia and Smedts.

If we draft one of these 3 to add to Watts, Jurrah, Petterd, Green etc, we will have stockpiled enough forward talent to move us forward

Iam sure the club will be heavily looking at the 3 you have named.

'sylvinator', I'm in no way suggesting we use any early picks for a temp mature tall. I expect us to draft a Key Tall with our early picks, & indeed all kids with our first 3 picks...

What I'm on about is to TRY to get an older ruck @ the end of his career, with one of our late picks. Or a trade for one of our lesser players. I wouldn't pay with any picks under pick 40.

If 'Gardiner' gives It away, would you consider him. He would be close to the mark.

Any of those 3 would be ideal.

Patience people, I know its hard after sitting out & watching this September

If we stick to the drafting game plan we are setting ourselves up for a decade of domination.

Established players will be trying to get to us to be part of our window.

Our time is Near

We need a mature bodied ruckman as insurance in case Jamar goes down. Trade if we can get one cheap, draft if any turn up about pick 49, or rookie a mature aged VFL or near retirement, disaffected AFL ruck. Need is for 2 years until Gawn/Spencer/Fitzpatrick come through in 2013. So if we send him to the knackers at end 2012, no tears.

We need another tall forward in case either of Watts or Fitzpatrick don't make the grade. We can trade (2nd round pick + player?) and get one who can be played now, or draft (1st or second round) and get one who may be ready by 2013 or may never be ready.

Or we can throw the crown jewels at it and get a relatively young forward/ruck who does both. At what cost? Try pick 12 plus Gysberts or Tapscott to a team needing midfield class.

Should be deciding what course of action we are following before we start naming targets.