Highs & Lows Of a Good List

Red&BlueBlood

We have a very strong list.

Back up backs - Warnock (can you believe it??) & Cheney

Back up / developing Midfielders - Gysberts (Rising Star 2011), Blease, Grimes (Inj), Tapscott, Strauss, Morton, Maric

Back up FWD's - Petterd (Inj), Miller, Jetta, Bate

Back up / developing Rucks - Max Gawn, Spencer, Meesen, Fitzpatrick (could be FWD also), Martin.

Obvious threat is rivals poaching like GC & GWS (short term) & rival clubs (sometimes feel people forget there are other clubs that will want our players besides the 2 new teams) AND players wanting to leave to get more game time + salary cap.

Of the above mentioned players I think Morton is being groomed as the new Cam Bruce (think back to Bruce playing on Hird, much like Morton / Goodes).

Gysberts, Tapscott, Blease, will keep real pressure on Beamer, Jones, and the rest of the midfield.

Pettard will walk back into the side as he is so difficult to match up on, Jack Fitz will push for a forward spot to.

Our backline is our most capable unit, but i think we are a bit light for defenders. Before you jump down my throat and say I’m on crack, the only true backman playing for Casey are Warnock & Cheney - Lets say Riv & Garlo or Chip go down with injury in quick succession we really only have Warnock that is capable of holding down a KPB... Cheney is more like a Joel Mac, or Bartram, and the other listed players that are down back for Casey are your more running types who would fill in for a Grimes or Bail if injured...

So my question is should we trade someone out of an area where we are blessed such as ruckman like Jake Spencer, Stef Martin or P Johnson and try and get a KPB onto the list for depth. No i haven’t forgotten that Russian has rucked solo for most the year, but with Jack Fitz, Gawn, as well as 1 or 2 out of Spence / Martin / Johnson we should be fine...

IMO we could do with a Harry O / Dale Morris / N. Bock type with 100+ games that can play tall or short, I know we won’t get any of the 3 but someone like them...

Our midfield (including running backs) is amazing so maybe we could part with someone like Bruce (might still have currency on the market??), Bail (would have to be super good deal), Bartram or Cheney being mindful not to hurt list depth but to strengthen it.

Of our FWD's IMO we could part with a small FWD, we have Bennell, Wona, Maric, Jetta, with Davey (will get pushed out of the midfield when others like Blease, Gysberts, etc come through). We will never get rid of Flash, and i like Wona (for FWD pressure) & Bennell (he has the X Factor!)...

My main concern is salary cap, if these kids we have turn out as good as they have looked so far we are in trouble. The great 3 peat Bris had the fab 4 + Power to keep under the cap (with concessions) & Geelong have Ablett, Bartell, Selwood, Corey, Scarlett, Chapman, Stevie J, Ottens & soon Varcoe to fit under the cap (we all know they took pay cuts to win Prem cups)... Ponder this - we will have Scully, Trengove, Watts, Chip, Garlo, Grimes, Gysberts, Beamer, Davey, Jamar, Sylvia, Blease, etc, etc!!!!!!

I’m not saying we should get rid of all the kids we have been developing, or have recently drafted. What I am saying is that we should definitely tinker our list to get that Premiership Cup we all want.

To finish this long winded rant, I would like to say that as a 28 year Melbourne Football Club supporter I am very happy to have these problems!!!!!

Having more than 22 good players is crucial. You need probably at least 25-28 really good players to win a premiership. We've been so bad for so long we've just got to start to get used to the idea.

Imo, we do not trade anyone, and definitely don't just trade away our good depth. Injuried do and will happen, and we'll regret losing a guy like Warnock or Bate.

Despite my 'no trade' preference, the only trade i would be satisfied with if we did lose Warnock, would be if we traded him for a guy who is clearly in our best 22 AND is in a position we are really lacking, like a tall forward or ruckman (Sam Jacobs/Mumford type).

i would like to think Morton is being groomed to be the next Adam Goodes. without having checked should be similar height. too much potential to be a run with player. if he can become a goal kicking mid , players like him and Sylvia become very valuable. Jurrah is going to explode next next year. people called for him to be dropped two weeks ago . he missed most of the year. rival clubs will be made to understand. Jurrah is just getting started.

Edited by Al`s DEMONS

We have enough in the backline without trading for more. Don't forget we have Tom McNamara hanging out at Casey waiting for a shot as well as Warnock unable to force his way back in. There is really no need for trading at this point unless a certifiable A grader is up for grabs. Perhaps another really good forward would be worth a look, but otherwise we are solid across the board.

no trades please. Let's top up with some more kids. Hopefully unearth another gem or two.

A lot if posters seem to think we are on the verge of a premership rather than on the verge of making the top eight.

We will have a chance to top up when we are closer and will be able to evaluate much better than the guesswork going on here.

The critical thing I keep noticing is the depth of the list.

There are of course many kids with 'potential' who it would be foolish to mark in as players in 2014, or that sort of crystal ball gazing. But the simple fact is that even with a few of our highest rated players out (Petterd, Grimes, Moloney most obviously) and fairly experienced bodies like Bate, Warnock and Miller in the 2s, we still have trouble fitting in everyone who 'deserves a game'.

We have a shortage of a critical ingredient from our rebuilding process that Carlton, Essendon or Richmond all have... list cloggers! :)

The critical thing I keep noticing is the depth of the list.

There are of course many kids with 'potential' who it would be foolish to mark in as players in 2014, or that sort of crystal ball gazing. But the simple fact is that even with a few of our highest rated players out (Petterd, Grimes, Moloney most obviously) and fairly experienced bodies like Bate, Warnock and Miller in the 2s, we still have trouble fitting in everyone who 'deserves a game'.

We have a shortage of a critical ingredient from our rebuilding process that Carlton, Essendon or Richmond all have... list cloggers! :)

Four or five have to go of the main list "Little Goffy' who are they?

Glad it is not me picking them

Miller, Bell, Meesen, Healey, Hughes...

And I think Junior will be gone also.

how can u say hughes when we built him up as the next robbo , he played a great game against the bullies ,was good against west coast then was dropped because it was the indigious round in darwin !! but we played miller whom we are going to delist.but we also give benell as maney games as he wants and has produced nothing,and if you look at the two of them ,hughes has courage.great mark.good/ecellant defensive skills. and is a team player were he would rather give it off to a team mate to kick a goal. the same cant be said about benell.juce and a few of trhe other lads.we at sandy who have followed dannys career for a couple of years are not happy with how the dees have handled him,it may well be the dees loss and another clubs gain if we dump him !!~

Wow.

Hughes is DONE.

Face reality.

He has had ample chance and there won't be any more.

We have too many similar types that perform his role better.

Edited by E25

Back up / developing Midfielders - Gysberts (Rising Star 2011), Blease, Grimes (Inj), Tapscott, Strauss, Morton, Maric

Sammy Blease will win the Rising Star next year.

This thread really shows that our List Management is strong.However we need to come through with another small/mid defender, a tall forward and a versatile tall- to be used back/forward /ruck- I think Fitzpatrick can fill that void.

Miller, Bell, Meesen, Healey, Hughes...

And I think Junior will be gone also.

Rookies don't count as 'delistings'.

Miller & Bell delistings account for the promotions of Jordie McKenzie & Jake Spencer.

Junior retiring gets us our Rnd 1 pick.

If we want more picks, we have to delist more uncontracted senior list players. Or have GC poach one of them.

For me:

Miller

Bell

McDonald

McNamara

I can't find anybody on our list who I would delist in order to get a 3rd round pick which won't come until something like 50 this year.

I think we'll turnover our rookie list in its entirety so there's another 6 kids into the club which gives us an injection of 8 new players. Feels like enough.

how can u say hughes when we built him up as the next robbo , he played a great game against the bullies ,was good against west coast then was dropped because it was the indigious round in darwin !! but we played miller whom we are going to delist.but we also give benell as maney games as he wants and has produced nothing,and if you look at the two of them ,hughes has courage.great mark.good/ecellant defensive skills. and is a team player were he would rather give it off to a team mate to kick a goal. the same cant be said about benell.juce and a few of trhe other lads.we at sandy who have followed dannys career for a couple of years are not happy with how the dees have handled him,it may well be the dees loss and another clubs gain if we dump him !!~

We must have been watching different games. Hughes won't make it. We tried him out and just not cutting the mustard. Good luck to him as he is a good vfl level player and prob will play well at that level for a number of years to come.

I feel we still have a shortage in the backline in skill. Bartram couldn,t hit the side of a barn, although he has improved this year, Rivers is a shocking kick and Garlands kicking against the hawks yesterday wasnt much better. Even in parts of the year this year Grimes is kicking (or decision making) went backwards from last year in my opinion. I still think we should leave him across half back though but we need either one of the others to show vast improvement or look for someone to slot in at the expensive of Bartram to help in that area.

I think inner demon was spot on with the delistings!

Go Demons.

Wow.

Hughes is DONE.

Face reality.

He has had ample chance and there won't be any more.

We have too many similar types that perform his role better.

E25 he has played 2 senior games! on your scale Watts would have been flung last year!