Kick Outs

pitchfork

The past few weeks Garland has taken most kick outs in the first half - and then following the half its been mostly Davey.

I believe this changed a little this week but here's the thing

Why is Garland taking the kick outs? he doesn't imo have the penetration to hit the 30 m target and he just ends up bombing it long.

Give the role to Davey/Grimes and leave it that way, don't really get it.

thoughts?

Well normally Grimes would be doing it. Since he's out they've obviously struggled a little to find a designated kicker. The kickouts were a feature in the Queens Birthday match, so I think the setups are there, it's just a matter of having the right personnel in place to execute the plan.

Guest Thomo

Watching from High up behind the goals on the weekend it seemed that Dean Bailey has developed a set play for kick outs, but at this stage it cannot work. It seems each player has an exact spot that they must start from, regardless of where they are when a point is scored. When a point is scored, the player taking the kick out waits to the structure is completely set up before looking to move the ball. The players normally have their back to the kicker when running to their spot. The Fremantle defence was more flexible with which players had to fill their defensive positions, so by the time Melbourne were ready for the kick in everybody was covered and the kicker was about to get told to play on. The hardest job in football at the moment would be the player kicking in for Melbourne, there are rarely any options, so they kick long to Jamar, which the opposition expect.

The slow and unworkable kick in structure could be happening for two reasons.

(1) It's part of a teaching process. Maybe DeanBaileys plan is to drill a rigid structure into the players so it becomes automatic in their minds, then introduce more flexibility

or

(2) The coaching staff have no idea

I'm hoping it is the first, however I would understand if it was the first year. If the players can't get it after 3 years, it's way too complicated and impractical.

It does'nt really matter who we have kicking out. It wont make any difference until we have players wanting to work off there opponent to accept the ball. We always seem to kick to 50/50's because no one is creating or running hard enough to accept.

It's as simple as that. And we obviously dont have enough set plays on kick outs.

Grimes and Davey are obvious good kicks. They are my obvious choices!

RUN AND CREATE DEMON'S!

It does'nt really matter who we have kicking out. It wont make any difference until we have players wanting to work off there opponent to accept the ball. We always seem to kick to 50/50's because no one is creating or running hard enough to accept.

RUN AND CREATE DEMON'S!

Excellent post.

As a junior coach, this is exactly what I try and teach. You have to run hard, demand the football and create.

melbourne players often get stuck with no targets for kick outs and also for a mark at about 50m out, players do not move around enough!

Watching from High up behind the goals on the weekend it seemed that Dean Bailey has developed a set play for kick outs, but at this stage it cannot work. It seems each player has an exact spot that they must start from, regardless of where they are when a point is scored. When a point is scored, the player taking the kick out waits to the structure is completely set up before looking to move the ball. The players normally have their back to the kicker when running to their spot. The Fremantle defence was more flexible with which players had to fill their defensive positions, so by the time Melbourne were ready for the kick in everybody was covered and the kicker was about to get told to play on. The hardest job in football at the moment would be the player kicking in for Melbourne, there are rarely any options, so they kick long to Jamar, which the opposition expect.

The slow and unworkable kick in structure could be happening for two reasons.

(1) It's part of a teaching process. Maybe DeanBaileys plan is to drill a rigid structure into the players so it becomes automatic in their minds, then introduce more flexibility

or

(2) The coaching staff have no idea

I'm hoping it is the first, however I would understand if it was the first year. If the players can't get it after 3 years, it's way too complicated and impractical.

If it is true we have a very detailed kick in structure it must be the stupidest thing ever created. The kick outs frustrated me more than ever on the weekend and it is the same week in and week out. We NEVER look for a short option, wait and then go long to Jamar and how often does it work? 10% of the time at the absolute best.

In the final quarter we had about 5 kick outs and couldnt clear. We finally get it down the other end, miss one shot and they straight away find a free man and run the ball along the wing for a coast to coast shot at goal. I cannot believe there is a structure because Deano MUST recognise it doesn't work! I have full faith in Bailey but this is one of two issues in which he just can't address (the other being slow starts).

1. If a plan exists - FIX IT

2. If one doesn't (which it can't possibly) - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

I think we're still waiting on Strauss to save the day for the kickouts. Lot of pressure on a guy who has played 2 games and has had a few injuries unfortunately stopping him playing more.

hi, have been reading for a while and finally decided to sign up. i agree that our kickins are definitely a problem, and have been for a long time. i think this will improve with time, and greater understanding of the structures. but i think that defending the oppositions kickin is as much, if not more of a problem. great_little_footy_team mentioned freo going coast to coast for a goal in the last quarter, and this happens way too often. we seem to be incredibly slow to set up our zone, which unless it comes from a quick point, never should happen. forward pressure is such a big part of football now, and we let ourselves down by letting the opposition get out of defence so easily.

Actually, I think (for whatever reason) our kick outs have improved in the last two to three weeks.

Sorry I can't see it.

Like GLFT, I am struggling to understand our plan. Too often after long delays we kick to a contest. If the main aim against Freo was to keep it away from Sandilands then we probably did OK.... but I'd like to think that our primary aim would always be a positive one. It's been awhile since we even looked like clearing the zone with speed and precision.

Our kick-ins are coming along nicely; except for the times where Cam Bruce has the ball in his hands.

Edited by undeeniable