Mark "Choco" Williams

Keyser Söze

This is not based on any rumour at all, merely the fact that he has stated he would like to take on a Dean Laidley-type coaches' mentor role as we've seen this year at Port.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-williams-keen-on-dean-laidley-role/story-e6frf9jf-1225891266822

Williams is keen for this role and will probably end up in Melbourne - why not at the dees?

As we climb out of debt, we will have the opportunity to spend on 'luxuries' of this type.

Besides the fact we already have a Mark Williams on the coaching staff and it would be a bit confusing, I think it could have a possibly have a valuable effect on the coaches and the playing group.

Williams is still regarded as a great coach and Bailey was an assistant under him at Port.

There is already a relationship there with Mahoney also.

Of course, I think it also leads to speculation that the "mentor" is waiting in the shadows to take over and in Choco's case it probably lead to him leaving the club earlier than Port had intended.

Also, I know Connolly is technically football manager, but I assume he acts in this role at times already due to his experience at Freo.

Just throwing the idea out there - any opinions..?

Dean Laidley has the reputation of being an expert on everything opposition players

Willaims hasnt got that tag and by the way he coaches it seems he dont care what the opposition does

Its a no thanks from me

Why ? For what benefit ? I think not

wasn't bailey an assistant to choc at port adel?

it was choco who announced that dean bailey is the new melb coach...i think it's time for dean and melbourne to take some revenge on a man who's down...

How would we do that?

wasn't bailey an assistant to choc at port adel?

it was choco who announced that dean bailey is the new melb coach...i think it's time for dean and melbourne to take some revenge on a man who's down...

Yeah lets get him. Light the torches

A bit petty isn't it.

Choco was happy for Bailey to get the job.

Agree and very much so.

A flake and a loose cannon.

We don't need him.

You don't coach a side to a string of minor premierships and a flag unless you're a gifted coach. No matter what you think of Port's recent record, Mark Williams is one of the best football coaches in this country.

If he was deemed suitable for a role at Melbourne to develop our young players - and James Hird said on On The Couch on Monday that Choco was perhaps the best teaching coach he'd had - then I'd welcome him in a heartbeat.

You don't coach a side to a string of minor premierships and a flag unless you're a gifted coach. No matter what you think of Port's recent record, Mark Williams is one of the best football coaches in this country.

Was one of the......

If he was deemed suitable for a role at Melbourne to develop our young players - and James Hird said on On The Couch on Monday that Choco was perhaps the best teaching coach he'd had - then I'd welcome him in a heartbeat.

Why? Haven't we already got a development team behind Bailey who is a teaching coach? What's wrong with the existing team?

Was one of the......

Sure, if you go by results, but I'm of the opinion that coaches of Williams' undoubted ability lose their effectiveness a lot slower than an exceptional group of players gets too old. I think he's still got plenty to offer as an AFL coach - just not at Port Adelaide. I believe he'll enjoy considerable success again.

Why? Haven't we already got a development team behind Bailey who is a teaching coach? What's wrong with the existing team?

I'm not agitating for the club to hire Williams and I'm not saying that anything is wrong with our current development team - hence my use of the phrase "If he was deemed suitable for a role at Melbourne...". Every indication is that Kelly O'Donnell and co are doing a good job.

I was primarily responding to others who said they simply didn't want him because of his recent record. If it was identified in an end of season review that the club could use his expertise, I'd have no problem in the club employing him. Especially in light of Hird's ringing endorsement of his work as a development coach.

Hird was particularly strong in praising Williams' ability to teach him how to hit targets by foot. I reckon some posters on this site who constantly wring their hands about certain players' inability to do that might appreciate it!

Edited by MikeyJ

Yeah, sorry KS, not even close.

I see what you're trying to do, starting a bit of discussion, but it so far from likely that it doesn't deserve a

mention.

The idea responds to my concern

The club has done a great deal to strategically plan and professionalise the club. I had the privilege of listening to Ian Flack, the director of the player welfare development arm of the club and was so impressed with what the club is doing in this area. It surely is second to none. I have followed with interest Swabbies Whitebord presentations. I am left with the impression that he knows exactly what he is doing. It is not just intuitive development

( as valuable as this component is). The club is doing everything it can to build successfully --- save for one thing. In Swabbies diagrams there is no reference to coaching. This is still left up to its own self management. Our coaching staff may be wonderful. I don't know, but the reality is they are all highly inexperienced. Mahoney, West, Wellman. Bailey more experience as an assistant but still very young and inexperienced as a Senior Coach. They are a work in progress. I believe it is not a criticism to say that a professional approach would be enhanced by an evaluation/mentoring/welfare role clearly mapped out for our coaches and hence included in Swabbies schemas. If Bails is around to oversea our flags he will surely have developed significantly. He believes young players need to be taught to play if they are to develop to there full potential. Why would you not believe it of coaching.

I and a mate have taken our chance to question our club leaders including Dean on this issue and it is apparent nothing is seriously being done that makes all accountable. Conversations in a car full of coaches travelling to Casey can produce some value, but it is hardly an adequate plan for development.

It seems coaching is untouchable. I believe this is for a past era. We need to move forward to keep us at the forefront of the conpetition.

Choco Williams ? I don't know about him, that is for the club to decide, but I fully support the idea.