What is Petterd worth?

Freak

Ricky Petterd told you and I at Junction Oval several weeks ago that he would be here next year.Don't you believe him ?

Yes I did, but its also up to 2 parties to agree. Also a person may want to do something but circumstances can change & people can change their minds or a change of heart.

I don't really know Ricky personally, & I do get a feeling that he's an honest person high on integrity, & that is why I've believed till now, but this is treated like a business these days, with decisions taken accordingly.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I did, but its also up to 2 parties to agree. Also a person may want to do something but circumstances can change & people can change their minds or a change of heart.

I don't really know Ricky personally, & I do get a feeling that he's an honest person high on integrity, & that is why I've believed till now, but this is treated like a business these days, with decisions taken accordingly.

Very good post- respect your viewpoint as always.Very well put.

As they say, a contract is not signed till it is!

Edited by jayceebee31

Loyalty is a great thing, but it is possible to be loyal to the point of stupidity leading to your own detriment.

In all honesty, in a couple of years' time I see Petterd being like a Shannon Byrnes at Geelong.

Good enough to be in the side, but squeezed out when everyone else is fully fit.

If he makes this honest appraisal of himself he'll need to decide if that's what he wants in favour of potentially more money, more gametime and responsibility up in the sunshine state with his family.

In all honesty, in a couple of years' time I see Petterd being like a Shannon Byrnes at Geelong.

Good enough to be in the side, but squeezed out when everyone else is fully fit.

If he makes this honest appraisal of himself he'll need to decide if that's what he wants in favour of potentially more money, more gametime and responsibility up in the sunshine state with his family.

I don't agree with that. Petterd is one of a few who can take a contested mark. He has courage, takes responsibilty and kicks goals under pressure. He is a kid in footballing terms and has as much upside as the top 5 or 6 young players on our list.

He is the type of player that is difficult to match up on. He is one you want running out in a finals side. The only question mark is whether his body can withstand the type of game he plays.

Guest hangon007

Back to the original question - "What is Petterd worth?"

A hell of a lot more than he was worth 2 days ago.

The "new" deal definitely ensures better compensation than we would have got.

But, then again that also applies to other clubs who appear most likely to lose players to the Gold Coast.

IMHO, the AFL has ensured the clubs will no longer want to treat the Gold Coast as if they had leprosy, instead they need to become our "best friends".

Edited by hangon007

Whilst understanding the angst that Petterd may be leaving the player we really need to re sign is Mark Jamar

There was talk going around at the Players Ball that Jamar has re-signed. If true, the club might be waiting on that being finalised or maybe even a couple more signings to announce them as a group.

I don't agree with that. Petterd is one of a few who can take a contested mark. He has courage, takes responsibilty and kicks goals under pressure. He is a kid in footballing terms and has as much upside as the top 5 or 6 young players on our list.

He is the type of player that is difficult to match up on. He is one you want running out in a finals side. The only question mark is whether his body can withstand the type of game he plays.

Tell me who goes out of our forward lineup then...

Or where else he'll play.

I don't think he squeezes into our future fully fit best 22

Edited by Enforcer25

I agree that Petterd is in the top 25 --however question if he is good enough to get into the top 22.He possibly could push out Jetta and furthermore play on a wing.The team looking like: Bartram Warnock Rivers

Grimes Frawley Garland

Morton Moloney Petterd

Green Watts Bate

Davey Miller Jurrah

Jamar McKenzie Scully

I: Gysberts, Trengove, Jones, McDonald.

Even Jurrah could play on a wing allowing Petterd to go forward.

Considering that he was our most effective and dangerous forward before he got injured this year I would suggest that the onus is on you to replace him with a better player.

There was talk going around at the Players Ball that Jamar has re-signed. If true, the club might be waiting on that being finalised or maybe even a couple more signings to announce them as a group.

So there's been unconfirmed reports that both Petterd and Jamar have signed contract extensions with Melbourne. So why don't we start a thread about Jamar possibly leaving?

So there's been unconfirmed reports that both Petterd and Jamar have signed contract extensions with Melbourne. So why don't we start a thread about Jamar possibly leaving?

Because we are not all Freak

Because we are not all Freak

Good point :)

But seriously, they're both from different states, so shouldn't we rate them equal chances of staying/leaving?

Considering that he was our most effective and dangerous forward before he got injured this year I would suggest that the onus is on you to replace him with a better player.

I like that point, he was effective and dangerous and was becoming a real focal point, IMO he could have got to the 40 goal mark easily with a full season and been left a great platform to launch from in 2011.

Speaking hypothetically in response to 'will he be in our best 22 going forward', I could easily see Rick in the best 22 on the potential he has shown, even a crunch between he and Matt Bate in the forward line? Please, don't think I don't rate Bater as I very much do and IMO when we win Bater is usually right amongst it.

If I could crystal ball and the ideal world comes together a forward six would include Jurrah, Watts as the KPP targets....Tapscott and Sylvia as the forward/midfielders, Wonaeamirri as the crumbing player (add Jim Bennell or Jetta at your leisure..I like a FIT Wonna because of his accuracy at goal) which then leaves a spot for a Bate or Petterd. Petterd and Bate playing at their best IMO there is not a great deal between them potential wise, of course Petterd does have the ability to play elsewhere which Bate doesn't.

Again, I have a lot of time for Matt Bate so in no way a put down on him, just a comparison between he and Rick.

The thing about Ricky is that he can play many positions, so if he plays forward, he's dangerous around goal. If he plays as a mid run with player, we know he can kick goals, & if he plays as a defender, he can either drift forward or if he follows his man up the ground he's dangerous. A useful player just starting his career.

Ok, my near future forward line consists of Watts, Bate, Jurrah, Sylvia, Green and a small (probably Aussie).

Personally, I also put Morton in there; I know many don't.

They all get in in preference of Petterd.

I'd be tempted to swap Green for another small too, like Jetta.

Petterd is not a small.

In future I see a player like Fitzpatrick or Gawn also squeezing in there as a big.

Petterd is not a tall forward.

Nor is he a wingman or a back flanker.

He is firmly a mid-sized forward flanker in my book.

He could be a great player to have in our side, but I also don't see him demanding a spot over any of the others named.

Ok, my near future forward line consists of Watts, Bate, Jurrah, Sylvia, Green and a small (probably Aussie).

Personally, I also put Morton in there; I know many don't.

They all get in in preference of Petterd.

I'd be tempted to swap Green for another small too, like Jetta.

Petterd is not a small.

In future I see a player like Fitzpatrick or Gawn also squeezing in there as a big.

Petterd is not a tall forward.

Nor is he a wingman or a back flanker.

He is firmly a mid-sized forward flanker in my book.

He could be a great player to have in our side, but I also don't see him demanding a spot over any of the others named.

Fair summation.....I think our future forward stocks look good, just a case of getting some game time together into them.

Don't be silly, Billy, he's Sth Australian! LOL..

I know, so why don't we start rumours about him moving to Port Adelaide?

He was an example.

I'll play....assuming...

Pick at end of round 1 as per 3rd category..Hes good not elite.simple as that.. Could end up as gold but youd have to evaluate as to where he is at end of THIS season.

He was an example.

Did you SEE any of the threads at the end of last season?!??

He was an example.

Yeah, I know. But your a bit late with those Sth Aus rumours, they were goin' around last year.

Mind you, we still have to sign him too, or announce it.

whilst obviously GC and indeed GWS will go shopping theres no reason to suggest they will pillage every team equally. They will seek as per their requirements. Does Petterd fit these ? possibly. ..but not wishing to seem vague so might any number of players. Petterd has voiced a desire to stay a Dee and we'd all wish tat is the case but until papers are signed he like a lot of others might just decide the attractions and remumerations of Brisvegas are just too good to deny.

Our fortunes going forward are not centred on any one player...that is OUR good fortune. MFC are going to receive silverware a lot sooner than GC or GWS..well actually GWS have eons to wait so it will be interesting to see what transpires.

if he goes someone else will come along :)

Yeah, I know. But your a bit late with those Sth Aus rumours, they were goin' around last year.

Mind you, we still have to sign him too, or announce it.

I know all about the rumours of last year, but I wasn't on Demonland then :)

Jamar was just an example - another player not playing in his home state with his contract expiring at the end of the year. Both have rumoured to be re-signed by Melbourne. So aren't they in the same boat?