Moloney

btdemon

The pressure on Moloney to perform was pretty intense today. !00th game against his old club. He tried to show leadership and inspiration but so often got caught trying to bust tackles. His first instinct is to take the ball and absorb the tackle. He almost seems to run towards the tackle rather than away. He was caught so many times today when a quick release would have been the best option. Jones also tries this too often. I've been a big wrap for Beamer this year but it was predictable and frustrating to watch today.

The pressure on Moloney to perform was pretty intense today. !00th game against his old club. He tried to show leadership and inspiration but so often got caught trying to bust tackles. His first instinct is to take the ball and absorb the tackle. He almost seems to run towards the tackle rather than away. He was caught so many times today when a quick release would have been the best option. Jones also tries this too often. I've been a big wrap for Beamer this year but it was predictable and frustrating to watch today.

Yes without Scully & Trengove in the middle Jones & Moloney were back to their old selves again. It is a slight worry.

In Future if not both play i hope either Scully or Trengove take the field.

We need those boys.

Edited by why you little

Yes without Scully & Trengove in the middle Jones & Maloney were back to their old selves again. It is a slight worry.

In Future if not both play i hope either Scully or Trengove take the field.

We need those boys.

Just as the Cats need Ablett and Selwood. Players of that quality are always going to be missed. I hope they show Judd and Gibbs a few new tricks.

Both limited players who bust a gut...but they are limited and get found out against top shelf talent. Both will be under pressure to survive in the midfield in coming years with Scully, Trengove, Morton, Grimes, Gysberts, Davey, McKenzie...

Swap jumpers before the game - Moloney for Bartel. See which one gets caught with the ball with Ling hanging off him early and which one cruises around having an easy game.

Moloney is limited, but always has a crack and sets a standard. He'll be extremely important especially when Junior goes. Hasn't had a shocker so far this year, a few average games, but always working hard.

Both limited players who bust a gut...but they are limited and get found out against top shelf talent. Both will be under pressure to survive in the midfield in coming years with Scully, Trengove, Morton, Grimes, Gysberts, Davey, McKenzie...

Obviously, but I don't think there's anything wrong in praising their massive efforts and applauding the fact that they will make it bloody hard for anyone to come in and take their spot - because that player will have to put in consistently for 4 quarters before they'll get a look in. Which is also fantastic as it will further push the team.

Both Jones and especially Moloney are very underrated here. Some posters can't spell his name! Moloney was good today. Had Ling on him for part of the day and he is the best tagger in the game. Not sure how they are limited compared to other mid fielders. Jones' skills are improving and Moloney has lowered his eyes when he has the ball. Moloney is a great leader and could well be captain next year.

Both Jones and especially Moloney are very underrated here. Some posters can't spell his name! Moloney was good today. Had Ling on him for part of the day and he is the best tagger in the game. Not sure how they are limited compared to other mid fielders. Jones' skills are improving and Moloney has lowered his eyes when he has the ball. Moloney is a great leader and could well be captain next year.

Could not agree more.

The last 2 weeks Jones has looked a little bit more composed and hit a few tough targets, where as he usually butchers the ball or doesnt get precision on his kicking..Kicking as well as knowledge and awareness has definately improved.

Moloney is our work horse inside and does arguably the most 1% of any player in our team. My choice for captaincy after Junior.

I thought he was very ordinary. He may have been second in possessions for us, but he's on the fringe in my book. With Gysberts, Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Morton etc playing in the midfield, we'll only have room for one tough, in and under and I'd say Jones has him, simply because he's generally a better kick than Moloney and he's not as one dimensional. Moloney may love the club (and good on him), but sometimes I wonder why there's so much love for him on here and little for others that deserve more praise than he. IMO he's a very ho-hum footballer.

Edited by AdamFarr

In some cases both players are actually accurately assessed. This site has a habit of eulogising MFC players to be better than they are. If MFC are to reach the heights of a Geelong, we have to develop better alternatives to Moloney and Jones. The process has been put in place by the Football club the quality is emerging and those players should hopefully be better than the some of the more expereience incumbents. The challenge for the incumbents is find a reliable supporting role as better skilled players develop.

Had a chat to Jonesy last year about his kicking and the long bombs etc etc. He is a fairly open and honest guy and he was starting to notice the extra time he was getting on the ball to allow him to lower his eyes. He mentioned that over the part two years that the midfield had been under so much pressure that they had to just kick rather than assess options. Maybe it is an experience thing as I think we forget he is only 22 but when he gets time on the ball he can use it well. I think he setup three forward marks by kicking to advantage yesterday.

I think both Jones and Maloney are good footballers that will fit into our squad/team over the next few years and players like scully will make them look even better. Its not hard to have your colours lowered when playing Geelong they are in a different league to most of the AFL.

Jones has him, simply because he's generally a better kick than Moloney

Could not agree less.

Beamer's field kicking is largely underrated by most here IMO. Sure he's not the best kick, but he's certainly a consistently better kick than Jones, especially in the last 2 years.

Swap jumpers before the game - Moloney for Bartel. See which one gets caught with the ball with Ling hanging off him early and which one cruises around having an easy game.

Moloney is limited, but always has a crack and sets a standard. He'll be extremely important especially when Junior goes. Hasn't had a shocker so far this year, a few average games, but always working hard.

Spot on, it's all a matter of context.

I love Moloney for his effort & heart, but the problem is that he simply doesn't do any damage to the opposition. It was significant that if Sculgrove played, Geelong were going to tag one of them with Ling, because it's obvious to Thompson that they can hurt the opposition most out of our midfield.

Correct!!