Changes for next week?

The reports I read had only Newton and Dunn (remember them?) in the best for Casey. And either of them could help Jamar out in the ruck!!!!

No more than Sylvia and Miller.

Dunn and Newton need to justify their selection on other metrics than given illusory comfort in a 3rd string role for them

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its worth noting that from the commentary from the Casey game in Bendigo that Jordie came off with a bad corkie, had the area taped up and eventually returned.

McKenzie was also not listed amongst the best afield for the game. If this club is going to stick by the mantra that players have to earn their recall, McKenzie does not return this week. If the corky is in fact a decent one, he might also not return to ensure that it heals up.

This may seem like a request that is out-of-line and I acknowledge that i'm new to the forum, but from what i've read it would be nice to hear people suggest players that actually deserve a call up to the Seniors based on form or for the benefit of the team structure, not because they happen to be their favourite type of players.

Specifically i refer to those calling for Strauss to return despite the fact that yet again he wasn't listed in the best performers at casey. Some could apply for Mckenzie this week.

From the reports it would seems that only Maric and Cheney have played consistent high quality footy to warrant a call up from Casey.

The difference with McKenzie is that he has rarely put a foot wrong in the AFL side. That's what puts him in front of Dunn, Strauss, Maric, Newton etc. He showed he was more than capable to play senior football. The others haven't done that, so to get their chance they need to hit some consistent form for Casey. Cheney seems to be doing that though.

As for the 2nd ruck, I didn't remove Jetta for that. I had 3 mids coming into the team (Scully, Trengove and McKenzie). But I agree that neither ruck REALLY deserves a game. But I do feel we need another ruckman to support Jamar. Just wish we had a quality player to bring in.

As RR said above, unless the player we bring in to be the second ruck can actually do something other than ruck, he doesn't get selected. At the moment, Johnson and Martin don't offer enough to squeeze out someone from the team. And we'd lose run too.

Its worth noting that from the commentary from the Casey game in Bendigo that Jordie came off with a bad corkie, had the area taped up and eventually returned.

McKenzie was also not listed amongst the best afield for the game. If this club is going to stick by the mantra that players have to earn their recall, McKenzie does not return this week. If the corky is in fact a decent one, he might also not return to ensure that it heals up.

This may seem like a request that is out-of-line and I acknowledge that i'm new to the forum, but from what i've read it would be nice to hear people suggest players that actually deserve a call up to the Seniors based on form or for the benefit of the team structure, not because they happen to be their favourite type of players.

Specifically i refer to those calling for Strauss to return despite the fact that yet again he wasn't listed in the best performers at casey. Some could apply for Mckenzie this week.

From the reports it would seems that only Maric and Cheney have played consistent high quality footy to warrant a call up from Casey.

Not bad points PM but really it was Bailey saying good form for Casey will see a game in the seniors in response to Watts......and yes this comment is all well and good in essence but sometimes players are rightly picked on a 2-3 weeks of form, match ups and other reasons where they may not be in the best each week at Casey. Some players IMO can be more suited to AFL but not be quite as good at VFL level...IMO Bail is one, I reckon that he looks great at AFL level but not as damaging in VFL where is required to be more of the creator and finisher. Good coaches see this and recognise this. Bail will not return just yet but I would say IMO that he would play this week before Maric as Bail has shown better signs than Maric at AFL level...IMO!

No more than Sylvia and Miller.

Dunn and Newton need to justify their selection on other metrics than given illusory comfort in a 3rd string role for them

Glad to see you take my point. One mention in the Casey best is not grounds for a recall for someone dropped for lack of performance. There has to be a spot in the seniors not currently being filled by someone who is performing well.

In: Mckenzie his defensive pressure and tackling is invaluable and he uses the ball well at this stage almost as important as Scully and Trengove who will also come in.

Also id like to see Strauss come in to play on one of carltons smalls, i also think with his speed and great foot skills he will become one of our best 22.

Out: No idea :blink:

On all the calls for Bail's inclusion, while I really rate him and loved his play early in the year, I think it's unlikely that a bloke who was almost knocked out then taken to hospital early in the game will be elevated the following week.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from Bail as well, but, surely he must be way underdone at this moment. He'd have to string some games together @ Casey.

Guest DeesPower

as someone who has seen 4 out of the last 5 Casey games, I thoroughly agree.

Strauss is a case in point. He has many of the skills the seniors needs, great kick, excellent kicking in, accurate long field kick, but at the moment is far too loose for a senior back, and not hard enough at the ball. I think he will develop In to a valuable senior player, but he needs to show these skills down at Casey first. At the moment does not justify a senior birth.

Not fit enough as yet.....obviously Wonna is your fave.....he is a star no doubt but these two games (Blues/Pies) are going to be HUGE for the dees and our year as a whole....need fit players ready to go and IMO Wonna is not quite fit enough.

If he is fully fit...he is in the best side no doubt!

Wouldn't consider Wona to be in my top 5 faves, but no doubt there is some love there.

However I would argue that he needs match fitness, further to this, AFL match fitness. Much like how we did with Bate earlier in the year and how we are doing with Watts right now. Bate wasn't fit and Watts isn't AFL fit. But play them anyway to get that momentum.

Despite what people think Wona did chase and tackle to the best of his abilities and will be so much better for the run.

This year was never about finals, and while we are enjoying an ok run and I will be singing the song when we win, I also understand that we are still developing.

Helping Wona get consistent AFL footy this year will give him a huge fitness/confidence boost for the pre-season and 2011 where I am expecting a finals appearance.

That being said, I see the warrants of him not playing, I just do not agree and hope the coaches agree with me.

Edited by Demons 32

Guest Redleg_24

Out: J.Rivers

In: Whoever

Rivers was so badly beaten on the weekend it wasn't even funny. Every forward he played on smashed him. He is now useless as a backman, unless you play him loose man in the backline chopping off the supply to the forward line. In other words: Jared Rivers only plays well when he plays on his own and has no accountability. Not a good sign for a 'key defender'.

Also his disposal by foot was sh'ithouse. I can recall two crucial stuff ups al;most back to back. Was horrible viewing. So get him and get Bail in or Bate or anyone who can play.

I am over persisiting with JR.

Guest DeesPower

danny hughes,,,where is he at?

i wouldn't mind trying him up forward again. . .

Danny Hughes was only mediocre at Casey last weekend. Does not justify selection on that performance.

The best forwards at Casey at Bendigo were Dunn, Newton and Maric. Out of those i would play Dunn. Maric was brilliant in the first quarter but faded badly in the second half.

Edited by DeesPower

MELBOURNE

Matthew Bate (ankle) - test

Sam Blease (leg) - 2 weeks

Colin Garland (knee) - test

Max Gawn (knee) - 6 weeks

Liam Jurrah (shoulder) - 4-5 weeks

John Meesen (ankle) - indefinite

Ricky Petterd (shoulder) - season

Jake Spencer (knee) - 4 weeks

Luke Tapscott (hip) - 4-5 weeks

CARLTON

Dennis Armfield (quad) - test

Paul Bower (quad) - test

Ryan Houlihan (hamstring) - test

Chris Johnson (wrist) - 1 week

Kane Lucas (hamstring) - 1 week

Simon White (knee) - 2-3 weeks

Chris Yarran (thigh) - 2 weeks

Yarran willnot play.

Waite and Houlihan should come in. Maybe Bower and Armfield too.

I thought Rivers was poor for us v the Cats and has been shown up a few times one out this year. However Blues may have Henderson, Waite and O'Hailpin to match up on so we will probably need 3 key backs if Garland does not come up. Joel MacDonald worries me too, he does some good things but his mistakes are very costly and he is not exactly a first choice option for us at the moment which is a shame given we used PSD Pick 1 on him. In my opinion Bruce, Rivers, Joel MacDonald and Cheyney are all probably competing for one maybe 2 spots.

Would love to bring Newton in and use him as the second Ruck and up forward as Jamar is starting to show fatigue.

I do not think Miller should be in the side. His 5 goals in Darwin were great but a little opportunistic and his true form is below that. However the inside 50s last week were 57 Geelong 37 Melbourne so none of the forwards got much of a chance.

Out: Rivers, Joel MacDonald, Miller, Garland (Rest him if not 100%), Woenamarri (STIFF but cannot have all 3 of Bennell, Jetta)

In: Scully, Bate, Trengove, Newton, Cheyney

Team:

Bartram Warnock Cheyney

Bruce Frawley Grimes

Davey Moloney Scully

Sylvia Bate Bennell

Jetta Watts Green

Jamar Junior MacDonald Trengove

Gysberts Jones Morton Newton

Must win the midfield and tag Gibbs, Jacobs and Kruezer are going ok and Jamar needs a hand. Bartram to Eddie Betts. Cheyney or Bruce to Garlett.

IN - Scully, Trengove, Bate, Cheney, Newton

OUT - Garland (inj), Rivers (No match up), MacDonald, Aussie, Miller

Newton in for Miller - Newton needs to chop out Jamar in the ruck and around the ground. Can swing forward too! He needs to be given more time in the ruck! Could be better there than forward.

Bate in for Aussie - Can present! Great mark and long kick. Fresh!

Cheney in for Garland - Can play on a small and deserves his chance.

Bartram or Bruce to tag Gibbs and the other to play on small!

Scully to run with Judd and tackle tackle tackle! He's got the engine.

No McKenzie this week. We got Gysberts!

I'd like to see the following changes made this week.

IN: Cheney, Strauss, Scully, Trengove, Bate

OUT: Garland (knee/precautionary rest), Rivers, Bennell, Bruce, Watts (all omitted)

I'm well aware i'm going to be howled down for a couple of these suggestions, so i'll try and give as good an explanation as i can for each omission.

Garland one speaks for itself. Rivers was pretty close to worst on ground on the weekend, and has been in pretty poor form for a few weeks now. Needs a spell IMO, and against the mobile Carlton forward setup, has no obvious match-up.

I understand Bennell played a ripper up in Darwin, but against the Cats he was non-existent. 5 disposals and just 3 tackles in 77% game time (Aussie had 6 tackles and 8 disposals in 73% TOG) is not good enough. He looked tired and I think he'll benefit from a week at VFL level, or even from a rest a la Scully/Trengove. Aussie deserves to keep his spot, as does Jetta, for their forward line pressure and creativity.

Bruce had his colours lowered on the weekend and IMO played the worst game he's had in a while. Whilst i don't think he will be dropped, i'd prefer to see a youngster like Cheney or Strauss get his spot as a medium defender in the backline. Both had strong games on the weekend for Casey.

This is the big one, and i know there will be many who disagree with me, but i think Watts deserves to be dropped after his performance against the Cats. Too many times he was caught playing behind Lonergan. He took no marks and had just 8 touches in 85% TOG. While he did have a couple of classy ones, overall he looked overawed and out of place against the strong Geelong unit. Yes the Cat's are good. And yes, he played some good footy against the Power and Eagles. But i don't think that's enough to keep him in the team with Matthew Bate coming back from injury. I really actually do hope he stays in, but in all likeliness, his name will be one of the first considered for omission with plenty of in form guys to come back into the side, and rightfully so.

We have a real chance to win this game, and IMO all players must be made to earn their spots. If they play poorly and there are others to come back into the side, they should be dropped. This should apply to all players, across the board. Even with developing key-position #1 draft picks.

Really wanted to squeeze Jordie McKenzie back in, but couldn't find him a spot.

The teams/match-ups:

B: Bartram, Warnock, MacDonald

F: Betts, O'hAilpin, Henderson

HB: Grimes, Frawley, Strauss

HF: Robinson, Waite, Garlett

C: Scully, Jones, Davey

C: Murphy, Judd, Simpson

HF: Trengove, Bate, Sylvia

HB: Gibbs, Thornton, Russell

F: Wonaeamirri, Miller, Green

B: Joseph, Jamison, Walker

FOL: Jamar, Moloney, McDonald

FOL: Kreuzer, Scotland, Carrazzo

Int: Morton, Jetta, Cheney, Gysberts

Int (from): Jacobs, Hadley, Browne, McLean, Anderson, Houlihan, Bower, Armfield

Edited by Doggo

Guest Redleg_24

Can I propose bans or some other kind of sanction for ever, ever suggesting Michael Newton EVER should be selected in our senior team??

I concur ID. The bloke is a useless spud! I don't want to ever see him in a Melbourne jumper again. It is not just that he doesn't do jack sh'it when he is playing, it is the lack of effort he shows while doing Jack Sh'it. he has no interest.

Please DB...let him find his way into the wilderness at Casey!

MELBOURNE

B: Bartram, Warnock, Cheney

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Macdonald

C: Trengove, Grimes, Morton

HF: Green, Bate, Davey

F: Wonaeamirri, Miller, Sylvia

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, Jones

I/C from: Scully, Gysberts, McDonald, Dunn, Newton

EMG: McKenzie, Jetta, Maric, Bennell, Watts, Rivers, PJ,

MELBOURNE

B: Bartram, Warnock, Cheney

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Macdonald

C: Trengove, Grimes, Morton

HF: Green, Bate, Davey

F: Wonaeamirri, Miller, Sylvia

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, Jones

I/C from: Scully, Gysberts, McDonald, Dunn, Newton

EMG: McKenzie, Jetta, Maric, Bennell, Watts, Rivers, PJ,

i think mckenzie jetta and bennell deserve a game and maybe even watts

i think wonna should take a week or too at casey to get the fitness back up,netwon i cant see comin back

Edited by armstrong35