Boak or Gray

Dee Fan

Gray has been around for like 4 years and you have only "seen his highglights" ... hahahaha.

He played against us twice last year you numpty.

Seriously you are incredible. Thats gold!!!!

Totally over the top response. What were you thinking ? Give yourself an uppercut

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

Totally over the top response. What were you thinking ? Give yourself an uppercut

People just need to open their eyes and look what these blokes are posting around this site. (Then IMHO sadly some of them are taking it to the grounds on match day)

These blokes come to this forum ...

They are critical of our players, they critical of our coach , then have a go at our CEO.

Now I'm not saying then dont have a right to be critical. Thats up to them.

However, when somebody has a crack and them they cant take it. They get all in a huff!!

If somebody is going to have a crack and my football club .. I'm not going to stand back and take it .. those days are gone both on & off the field.

Then their "cyber mates" blindly jump in to defend them with two word responses ... However, I got the irony in the response .. made me laugh.

If they are going to dish it out ... they should learn to take it.

Seriously, a % of their opinions are draw from "youtube" and "highlights" ... give me a break!!!!

Now I'm sure I will cop my fair share of criticism for these comments.

So heres the rub .. I dont mind them being critical of me. Because I've been wrong before & I will be wrong again.

I actually hope I'm wrong about these blokes ... However, only time will tell.

This all said and done "Go the Biff" I appreciate you at least giving me the opportunity to explain myself.

PS ... blood is running out of my nose as I type ... upper-cut landed

Edited by hangon007

I'd agree, but I get the idea he is talking about one of those players in return for Boak who is/will be elite.

I also have to agree on McKenzie - far too important to the side now.

Blease & Gysberts have shown nothing yet & could be busts.

If you traded them for Boak it would be an absolute win.

Sorry mate, just can't agree on the Blease and Gysberts opinion. Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree. We need to have some faith in our selectors and understand that 18 y/o kids need to be given a bit more experience than zero AFL games to prove to us they were worth the pick. I'll even stretch this to say we need to see at least 20 AFL games from them.

Sorry mate, just can't agree on the Blease and Gysberts opinion. Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't agree. We need to have some faith in our selectors and understand that 18 y/o kids need to be given a bit more experience than zero AFL games to prove to us they were worth the pick. I'll even stretch this to say we need to see at least 20 AFL games from them.

E25 is right, that's what I meant.

Surely a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Gysberts and Blease might come on, but the most we could hope for is that they'd be as good as Boak.

I'd trade one of them for him in a heartbeat.

They may turn into superstars one day, but that's a big IF and Boak is on the cusp of elite.

I'd agree, but I get the idea he is talking about one of those players in return for Boak who is/will be elite.

I also have to agree on McKenzie - far too important to the side now.

Blease & Gysberts have shown nothing yet & could be busts.

If you traded them for Boak it would be an absolute win.

Yeah, exactly what I was saying.

McKenzie is definitely promising, but how many games has he played?

I'll see out the season before I sign off on any trades :P

Guest hangon007

I'm with you on this one. Blease & Gysberts where recruited for a reason ... both outstanding young blokes and outstanding junior footballers. If they can replicate their junior football at AFL level we will have two very handy players on our hands ... we just need to put our faith in our professional recruiting staff.

However, I do concede its not always possible to take junior football performance to AFL level. However, I would have thought both where more than worth a chance before people right them off. "at least 20 AFL games" sounds about reasonable to me baring serious career threating injuries.

I'm with you on this one. Blease & Gysberts where recruited for a reason ... both outstanding young blokes and outstanding junior footballers. If they can replicate their junior football at AFL level we will have two very handy players on our hands ... we just need to put our faith in our professional recruiting staff.

However, I do concede its not always possible to take junior football performance to AFL level. However, I would have thought both where more than worth a chance before people right them off. "at least 20 AFL games" sounds about reasonable to me baring serious career threating injuries.

Who wrote them off?

Boak is young and a gun. Nothing guarantees Blease or Gysberts will be as good, so I'd do a straight up swap in a heartbeat.

Trading Brad Green for Gary Ablett doesn't mean you've written Green off.

• 1 month later...
Guest hangon007

Who wrote them off?

Boak is young and a gun. Nothing guarantees Blease or Gysberts will be as good, so I'd do a straight up swap in a heartbeat.

Still wanna trade Gysberts now? How that "heartbeat" going? Look it Ok ... to say your wrong!

Still wanna trade Gysberts now? How that "heartbeat" going? Look it Ok ... to say your wrong!

Boak for Gysberts straight swap?

Boak= gun and genuine A - grade midfielder. Good skills, hard at it can win contested ball. Would be great addition to our midfield.

Gysberts= very promising youngster who is potential A grader, but for all we know, after playing 50 afl games may turn out he's only a B-grader. Gysberts does NOT have A-grade skill level, though may turn out that he has A-grade ball winning ability. Lots of unknowns.

I know i'd do that in a heart beat.

And that's considering i rate Gysberts pretty highly!

Boak= gun and genuine A - grade midfielder. Good skills, hard at it can win contested ball. Would be great addition to our midfield.

Gysberts= very promising youngster who is potential A grader, but for all we know, after playing 50 afl games may turn out he's only a B-grader. Gysberts does NOT have A-grade skill level, though may turn out that he has A-grade ball winning ability. Lots of unknowns.

I know i'd do that in a heart beat.

And that's considering i rate Gysberts pretty highly!

Anybody would be mad not to from a Dees point of view.

In reality though, Boak is probably top 3 at Port. Would need a first rounder and an early second or a proven young kid to get him.

He would be very nice to get - but I dont think midfielders are a top priority.

Edited by ox_5_demons

It's easy to make that claim now.

Both KS and I had stated that it was based on the fact Gysberts and Blease hadn't shown anything at that time.

Not sure about KS, but now having seen Gysberts perform on the big stage, personally I wouldn't do that trade.

Guest hangon007

I reckon if you gave Port a call they might just consider it.

I have no problems with this and would love to see Boak in a Melbourne jumper. However, as always it comes down to price.

Assuming Travis does want out ... and that assuming, I dont think Port are in the best of positions to negotiate.

Just leave our kids alone! Stop trying to "trade" our future away. Sometimes you just have to learn to back your own.

Guest hangon007

It's easy to make that claim now.

Both KS and I had stated that it was based on the fact Gysberts and Blease hadn't shown anything at that time.

Not sure about KS, but now having seen Gysberts perform on the big stage, personally I wouldn't do that trade.

Yeah ... well .. some people would claim that it was not a "fact" more an opinion that was based on watching youtube clips.

Guest hangon007

How can you rank Gysberts after only two games? He may turn out to be an even better player than Boak.

Mate some people had him traded in a "heartbeat" before he had even played 1.

However, I agree with you as I said already .. you just have to put faith in our recruiting staff and some around here should stop talking all this ill-informed youtube opinionated rubbish about our kids.

Edited by hangon007

Mate some people had him traded in a "heartbeat" before he had even played 1.

Isn't that the point though?

Most people would trade a guy who's never played for an A-grader. If you'd called Port a month ago and asked what they thought of a Boak for Gysberts trade they'd have laughed in your face I reckon.

Guest hangon007
Isn't that the point though?

Suppose it depends how and where you are formulating your opinions from.

Most people would trade a guy who's never played for an A-grader.

Thats why I say we need to trust our recruiting staff to make those decisions & not formulate opinions on what you read on AFL football forums.

Sadly, I get the feeling from what I hear at many games. Too many of our supporters have formulated "strong" opinions long before many of our players have been given a fair go.

If you'd called Port a month ago and asked what they thought of a Boak for Gysberts trade they'd have laughed in your face I reckon.

I'm not so sure about that. Assuming Boak does wants to leave ... that Ports problem and not ours. We are not a charity here or an "escape" route for Port.

The "un-written" trading laws these days seem to favour the players getting to go to the club of "their" choice long before a "fair" deal comes into the equation.

IMHO we need to focus our energies on convincing Boak to become a Demon long before we need to consider what should be his price.

And ... Sorry Yes I do think the supporters have a part to play.

Edited by hangon007

Haven't seen this thread until now (courtesy of the 'Bool), so cheers for the bump.

Cannot imagine either of them finding their way to Melbourne tbh. Port Adelaide will do all they can to retain them.

That said, I like both players. Either would be a nice fit...I do like Boak. Reminds me of Selwood.

Yeah ... well .. some people would claim that it was not a "fact" more an opinion that was based on watching youtube clips.

Uh... no it was FACT.

Neither had played an AFL game at the time.

Now, based on what I've seen, I'd still trade Blease for Boak in a heartbeat, but not Gysberts.

It's very simple, I'm not sure why you struggle to understand the concept.

Edit: and I have no idea why you're talking about youtube... maybe that is where you get all your opinions?

Edited by Keyser Söze

Why are we trading for more small players? I really don't get you guys.

Gray has resigned, and Boak...he might not even crack the best 22 with Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, McKenzie, Blease, Tapscott, Davey etc.

We need talls. Seems like you guys want smalls.

Guest hangon007

Now, based on what I've seen, I'd still trade Blease for Boak in a heartbeat, but not Gysberts.

Good to hear you are now backing down on Gysberts ... but sad to see you wont give Blease a go.

Ahhhh well suppose 1 out of 2 aint bad.