• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce - enough is enough

It is juat diabolical how bad this guy is.

30 odd useless possessions, smashed in countless one on one contests and even managed to give away a 50 metre penalty.

He is not part of the future,m he is a liabilisty. So why is he even in the team? Someone pleasse tell me what he brings to the table.

Every game that he plays is one less game for McNamare, Watts, Maric, Gsysberts, Strauss etc etc to learn theiur craft at the highest level.

Trengove and Scully must snicker at the fact he is the Vice Captain of the MFC. I pray they ignore him when he tries to give them advice.

And thank God he is out of contract at seasons end. Denmons should let cut him loose as it will free up 500K in the salary cap to sign some real footballers.

IMO, your right & wrong. He is not my favorite player these days.

I believe he just hasn't been able to adapt to the frenetic tempo of modern football. It is this mostly, I think that makes his good work come to nothing, & actually too frequently comes back to hurt us. He is in the team IMO,because of his great stamina to run to contests one after the other, so he gets to the spots to defend, (he does this well), or to receive. Its when he has the ball in hand that the problems start where he seems to lack the time & space that he needs to make the right decisions to use the ball effectively.

He's a poor kick by todays required standards because the space is just not available like it was 10 years ago. He cannot pinpoint the ball to a target.

He's also constantly under pressure to feed the ball off by hand in the backline & the opposition know this & harass him into giving up rash handpasses, generally costing us either directly or indirectly, the loss of possession of the footy.

IMO, once we get more midfilders in the team that can sufficiently run the best part of the game, &, can read the play well enough to get to the spots that Bruce does, then Bruce will here the calling.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say you watched with your blinkers on today (or maybe I did, who knows). Bruce's use of the ball was fine.

FWIW I had no idea he got the ball 30 times. I rarely look at the stats, and if I do I'm looking at stuff like tackles and inside 50s, not disposals.

Nasher, where were you watching from.. His disposal is terrible, mostly its the handball that hurts us the worst because its usually in our defense, & when we turn it over there its a problem.

His kicking forward is mostly high floaters, with no penetration, that drift off target causing our inexperienced forwards a lot of heartache, with the next to useless supply he gives.

If David Neitz was down their he may be able to make use of some of those kicks, but not many others can.

He's be a good reserve on the bench if the AFL ever bring that in.

It is juat diabolical how bad this guy is.

30 odd useless possessions, smashed in countless one on one contests and even managed to give away a 50 metre penalty.

He is not part of the future,m he is a liabilisty. So why is he even in the team? Someone pleasse tell me what he brings to the table.

Every game that he plays is one less game for McNamare, Watts, Maric, Gsysberts, Strauss etc etc to learn theiur craft at the highest level.

Trengove and Scully must snicker at the fact he is the Vice Captain of the MFC. I pray they ignore him when he tries to give them advice.

And thank God he is out of contract at seasons end. Denmons should let cut him loose as it will free up 500K in the salary cap to sign some real footballers.

your a mess.. bruce was one of our best today

The only problem with Bruce is disposal.

Yes it's a big problem too.

He gets a mountain of it and has the right idea with getting it on quickly. We now know that certain players in the side are designated kickers and some are to give it off by hand at all times unless there is no other option.

It's plain as day if you look at the stats over the last few weeks that Sylvia and Davey are designated kickers and Bruce is a handballer (to get it in the hands of the kickers.

This is fine in theory except that Bruce is a bad Handball! Terrible kick as well.

He handball's half-volley players so often I have been left with no choice but to laugh now. If they don't do that then they are either loopy or not far enough in front of the running player so the player slows to receive it then is instantly tackled. This stops the passage of play we were developing and the running players that have done the right thing and "peeled off" in front of the ball are caught out on the rebound and more often than not a goal is the direct result.

Either he fixes his disposal or he must become a forward option. If he goes forward and uses his "tank" to run his defenders ragged and create extra space in the Forward line for Sylvia and Green to do there thing, Then there is a spot for him in the side. If not Casey Beckons

Beautifully said 'Clay'. Thats what I was trying to reflect in my post.

Numerous times today he killed our momentum when we had the ball. This is deflating for the young kids under pressure, to put them totally under the pump via poor disposals from a Bruce "give".

This really has to stop. How? find a spot for him in the deep forward pocket & tell him to stay there. He can replace Petterd, & Green can play a high mid forward role between 40 to 70 Mtrs from goal.

Supporters must really love it when players just rack up possessions. Bruce was mostly playing as a loose man in defense, meaning he had the easiest job in terms of actually getting the ball. He did that successful, which he always does, but his decision making and the fact that more often than not he panics under pressure and sells teammates into pressure, makes his 100 possessions redundant.

Was he one of our best? Not even close. He got a lot of ball playing one of the easiest roles in football, and he used that ball in ways which hardly put our team at an advantage. Anyone care to suggest why North never bothered to man him up, even though he was getting plenty of possessions? I would suggest that it was due to his lack of damaging disposal.

And before everyone jumps on me and calls me a Bruce-basher, IMO the reality of the situation is that Bruce is an average footballer these days and that his end is approaching fast. He has had a remarkable career, starting late and managing to play some very good seasons in his time, but to me he no longer contributes enough to be a walk up start each week. I'd rather Strauss make 10 mistakes a game then watch Bruce handball to teammates under pressure. Clearly the footy department disagrees, and they are the experts, so we move onto next week.

Bruce will keep us low on the ladder giving us another top 10 pick this year.

The premature head wobble that pretensed this game

has been replaced by slagging of Bruce.

How Cliched

How Unimaginative

How Near Sighted

Supporters need to grow up realise our total lack of committment today across the board is why we lost.

We showed up flat and got spanked. Deservedly.

I just hope that the players didn't start believing their own hype

Like so many fair weathered down hill skiing supporters who thought we could make top four.

Reality is we are developing lets not get ahead of ourselves till we are at least half way

there.

Every one knows that, but most of those out there are either kids who deserve to be there on their merits, or players who are in the middle of their careers who are gifted players striving for top form. And they have pretty good skills.

Their not 200 + gamers who should be expected to perform the basic tasks of hitting targets by hand & by foot.

Or by putting their bodies on the line to take a hit for their team when needed. That earns respect from all.

Thats why we spin these threads.

We demand a higher level of excellence than what we're getting from Cam.

:)

Far from Cams worst game. Disposal at (%70).

However, he continues to avoid physical contact and wont wear a tackle, to free up a man in the process.

He brings our running game to a standstill, leaving team mates flat footed or under pressure

Apart from his running ability, i think he sets a terrible example to the kids.

Scully is light years ahead of him.

Martin continues to look out of his depth.

Cams disposal execution is as good as your typo's.;)

Martins still learning the art of Forward Play. No one would play well with the quality of ball presented to our forwards today.

{Edited for those with eye problems} :blink:

Edited by dee-luded

Supporters must really love it when players just rack up possessions. Bruce was mostly playing as a loose man in defense, meaning he had the easiest job in terms of actually getting the ball. He did that successful, which he always does, but his decision making and the fact that more often than not he panics under pressure and sells teammates into pressure, makes his 100 possessions redundant.

Was he one of our best? Not even close. He got a lot of ball playing one of the easiest roles in football, and he used that ball in ways which hardly put our team at an advantage. Anyone care to suggest why North never bothered to man him up, even though he was getting plenty of possessions? I would suggest that it was due to his lack of damaging disposal.

And before everyone jumps on me and calls me a Bruce-basher, IMO the reality of the situation is that Bruce is an average footballer these days and that his end is approaching fast. He has had a remarkable career, starting late and managing to play some very good seasons in his time, but to me he no longer contributes enough to be a walk up start each week. I'd rather Strauss make 10 mistakes a game then watch Bruce handball to teammates under pressure. Clearly the footy department disagrees, and they are the experts, so we move onto next week.

you are kidding me right,

how about we talk about the other passengers who did sfa all day and yes there are some high profile ones today who looked alot like front runners

trust me when your mids ect are not doing their jobs and the ball comes in a million times faster than it went out and having flat footed team mates to handball to

i think cam bruce is that player who divides us supporters because he is both good and bad. i find myself slagging him off yet my mate i go to games with tells me he's our best player. arrgh the frustration that is cam bruce!! i think yes his disposal is crap but it wasn't back in the days when he was briefly nicknamed "Brownlow Bruce" before doing his groin in that double tackle from the saints i think? probably around 94? anyway if you will recall he was way more buff then and was hard as and playing in the middle and man he COULD play. But i reckon he's not big anymore because of the groin injury ie his body type couldn't handle the extra muscle - i'm no scientist btw but this is what i think might have happened. since then he's been a kinda spare parts man who can find the pill and should be able to use it but does let the team down frequently with the disposal... probably time to retire at the end of the year??

Edited by damo_araimbo

i think cam bruce is that player who divides us supporters because he is both good and bad. i find myself slagging him off yet my mate i go to games with tells me he's our best player. arrgh the frustration that is cam bruce!! i think yes his disposal is crap but it wasn't back in the days when he was briefly nicknamed "Brownlow Bruce" before doing his groin in that double tackle from the saints i think? probably around 94? anyway if you will recall he was way more buff then and was hard as and playing in the middle and man he COULD play. But i reckon he's not big anymore because of the groin injury ie his body type couldn't handle the extra muscle - i'm no scientist btw but this is what i think might have happened. since then he's been a kinda spare parts man who can find the pill and should be able to use it but does let the team down frequently with the disposal... probably time to retire at the end of the year??

94? groin? he played his first game in 2000 and hurt his shoulder (collarbone) against the saints round4... or am i widely mistaken or reading your post wrong

94? groin? he played his first game in 2000 and hurt his shoulder (collarbone) against the saints round4... or am i widely mistaken or reading your post wrong

sorry i am thinking of an injury later in his career than 2000 when he was nicknamed 'brownlow' bruce. it may have been a shoulder though. my memories are sketchy on details sadly, but the point is he got injured at a time when he was touted as a favourite for the brownlow and potentially hasn't been the same player since - and maybe because he has gone for a leaner frame as a result of his injury....?

sorry i am thinking of an injury later in his career than 2000 when he was nicknamed 'brownlow' bruce. it may have been a shoulder though. my memories are sketchy on details sadly, but the point is he got injured at a time when he was touted as a favourite for the brownlow and potentially hasn't been the same player since - and maybe because he has gone for a leaner frame as a result of his injury....?

the difference i personally think was between 2004 & 2005 he played as a foward & midfielder who was more the cream to a team that could have made top 4 and had a serious go.

in 05 he hit his peak and dominated the first 3 games firstly because the team did very well and he received alot of the ball + confidence skigh high.

in 06 whilst still in his 'peaking years' so to speak he had become a bigger part of the team & not just the cream, he had more responsibility & was more accountable therefore less attacking and

his roles have changed since then & doesnt look as good because of being in a weaker team, therefore he has to get his own footy which he didn't do as much in 2004-05.

Jesus demonland can be hard to visit sometimes with the children on here claiming Bruce is done.

This is a post from "The Red and the Blue" on 'ology that sums up both Cam's game and the general gist of the garbage posters put on here...

"After the criticism of Bruce last week I took special notice of his disposal this week.

Last week it was claimed that his excellent statistics were not a true reflection of the quality of his performance as most of his "effective" disposals went to a teammate who was under pressure.

His first handpass did, in fact, fit that description as it was looped high to a team mate surrounded by North players. However, from that point on his kicks and handpasses were well directed to players in a position to do something with the ball. Unfortunately those other players didn't do much with it today.

To see another post this week berating Bruce and claiming his disposal was again terrible when it clearly was not makes me wonder if the claims last week were also untrue.

I suspect some people here form a dislike of certain players and then overemphasise the errors that player makes while ignoring the good.

I should point out that I'm not a great fan of Bruce myself and I've never been one to shy away from criticising our players when it's warranted. In this case it is not.

This week Bruce was one of our very best players in a generally disappointing performance.

If anyone's performance should be singled out for criticism today it's a certain former Brisbane backman - just terrible.

By the way, I hope this post is allowed to remain by our busy mods and that certain other members won't see fit to call me a clown again for merely expressing a contrary view."

Thanks The Red and the Blue and I hope you don't mind...

Rubbish!! Bruce was our best player today. It hurts me to say that but he was. If you want to pot Bruce on today's performance you have YM tunnel vision. How many times did MacDonald & Mc Donald turn it over!!!!!!

Edited by Demon Tragic

Rubbish!! Bruce was our best player today. It hurts me to say that but he was. If you want to pot Bruce on today's performance you have YM tunnel vision. How many times did MacDonald & Mc Donald turn it over!!!!!!

How many times another player(s) turns the ball over is irrelevant to this argument.....

Here there are those that think Bruce is indisputably perfect and those that think that he is a shot duck. The reality is somewhere in the middle.

Now I have never been one to criticise (or abuse) our players, so before all those who blindly defend Bruce jump all over me, understand that he still has some value, but it is decreasing, and it is happening quicker because of the wonderful crop of kids we have coming through. This is not a bad thing, in fact we should be happy about it.

His disposal by hand and foot has been a problem for some time, and it is not getting any better, and won't probably at this stage of his career (which no-one is degrading). So with that in mind do we keep playing him without question until he decides otherwise, or put another youngster into the mix to smell the big leagues? I don't know the answer to that, but it is a question that is going to keep coming up as the season moves on. As it should, there should be no "automatic" selections, you should have to earn your place.

As far as today's performance is concerned, I didn't think it wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't awe inspiringly brilliant, like some seem to have wanted, either. He got a lot of the ball, missed a few important targets, put some team mates under unnecessary pressure, and seemed to work his arse off, as per normal. Today's game was normal, solid but not great, with in my opinion, a few too many errors for a guy of his stature, and that is going to be an ongoing issue.

And please can people stop stating their opinions of a player as fact. Others are allowed to disagree and to say so without being berated for it.

I doubt many subscribe to Yze Magic/Trengove is God's "OMGz, get rid of teh Bruce NOW dis iz srsly!!!~1" line of reasoning. In fact I doubt even he genuinely believes it, but it gets a reaction from people and this, of course, is important to a guy who measures human achievement based on how many people you can get to reply angrily to your slagging of an AFL footballer over the internet. Everyones gotta have a hobby, I guess, so more power to him.

Having said that, Bruce has gotten away with some patches of pretty average form in the last few years, partly due to being one of the few half-decent senior players in a very inexperienced club and partly because no one has really been knocking the door down to take over his role anyway. I have a feeling this is going to change shortly, as a handful of kids come through who can do the excact same things Bruce can do, only better. As I said in the gameday thread, his times as a walk-up start in our best 22 are numbered, in fact I expect he'll be pushed out of the regular side by mid-2011 at the very latest.

EDIT: Apologies to QueenC, who -while I was writing this post- made the exact same point as me but articulated it heaps more gooderer.

Edited by two sheds jackson

Please delete this thread, this guy is an idiot.

Bruce was clearly our best player yesterday.

I might watch a replay later in the week and have a second look, but I don't remember at any stage thinking "that was terrible" as I have in the past. There were even a few instances where I thought his delivery was very good.

Try handballing blindly over his shoulder - back into the defensive corridor (bad move) - to a team mate under pressure - while Bruce himself was motoring towards the boundary.

It was a classic 'here you have the hot potato' moment of which we have seen too many from Bruce this year.

Lots of possessions but much negative impact.

I have suggested in the selections thread he be dropped but he'll probably stay in because of experienced and a hardened body.

As for you DeeZee, Grimes was our best yesterday.

Edited by pitmaster

Cams disposal execution is as good as your typo's.;)

Martins still learning the art of Forward Play. No one would play well with the quality of ball presented to our forwards today.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Your typo's what?

There were plenty of poor disposals in the game yesterday and to single out Bruce is a joke. How many of our short passes were cut off by an opposition player because they didn't have the hight to clear him? How many of our field kicks missed their target by 10 to 20 mtrs? It was an appalling display of skill(?) by the team and all this does is single out one player, ridiculous.

Joel Mac has had two shockers with us and coincidently they have been games where we are under pressure. Martin was very ordinary yesterday and has shown a lack of nous at this level. Let's call a spade a spade they were terrible yesterday and it wasn't just one player it was the majority of the team but who do we blame, Bruce of course.