Scott Thompson rumour

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Fine words from Trapper-I Hope TJ is always welcomed back to the MFC in future years. He obviously still loves the place, and understands why he was traded.

Good on ya TJ B)

Agreed........it seems as though he didn't quite realise what he had until it was gone!

I'm sure he'll always be welcomed back to the MFC in the future!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he left simply because of the coach, then I definitly don't want him back!

And considering Trapper has this to say about Danners last week:

The reason is irrelevant to whether we want him back in the future.

The situation with Trapper was completely different. TJ now realises what a waste of special talent he has been.

I thought he was once of the few Brisbane players who could hold their head up on Saturday night. He was a little unlucky with a couple of head high decisions that didn't go his way too.

I thought for all the possessions that TJ got that they were cheap,easy largely uncontested and did little to hurt MFC. Many of the disposals missed targets. I note Voss had him in the last line of defence. Clearly does not rate him enough to move through the midfield these days particularly one that was getting flogged. He was unlucky with the Green tackle when watched on replay. But what stood out was that he was S-L-O-W and with little awareness of whats around him. When the pressure is on, TJ dissolves....I thought he was trademark. So much for all the class we lost when we traded him. TJ is a sad shadow of the player who could scythe his way through a congested situation and hit targets with exquisite decision making and foot skills.

As for #3, trade, PSD or national draft (in that order).

Trade - who are we going to have to let go to get him? Not worth it

PSD - we'll end up picking after at least 3 teams this year, doubt he'll make it to us that way

ND - similar problem

It's just Scott Thompson, he's not that good.

Had to log on just to say

This is Absolutely unequivocally the most rediculous statement ever in history hang your head in shame.

If anything he's odds on to go to the Gold coast for the cash. No way he'd come back to MFC no way we'd

accept him back no longer fits our rebuilding profile 28 years is too old.

He burnt us once MFC aren't stupid enough to let him do it again.

Just create a team of fairweathered down hill skiers while your at it. Desert

us when the going gets tough come back when we've rebuilt through the pain of the last

3 years.

sorry but this is absolute [censored].

I agree with all this and additionally - he is a fully priced asset - he is not going to suddenly reveal undisclosed abilities and turn out to be much better than he all ready is - so you pay full wack for him and expect a top value return but there is no asset appreciation play with him - with most of our young talent pool there is tremendous asset growth potential - in stock market / marketing parlance Scott Thompson is a cash cow or a fully priced blue chip stock - our younger players are growth stocks rising stars - I thought it was interesting to read on the MFC website today the following...

"It's a good position to be in and we know that Liam Jurrah, Cale Morton, Luke Tapscott and these other really talented players are going to come back into the team at some stage." no surprises the Morton and Jurrah are mentioned but Tapscott! He hasnt played a game but gets a mention as a really talented player.

Get a player like Thompson and at least in Supercoach terms you need to sell 2 or three Tapscotts, 1.5 Jordie McKenzies or Trengoves - I think no.

Plus after living in Adelaide for several years he would need to be very properly disinfected.

If he left simply because of the coach, then I definitly don't want him back!

And considering Trapper has this to say about Danners last week:

The closest thing to a regret that he has is failure to perform to expectations - his own and others' - at Melbourne, particularly for the Demons' then coach, Neale Daniher.

''My form was probably a little too up and down when I was there - probably still too up and down now,'' he said. ''Neale was fantastic to me. The whole Melbourne Football Club was fantastic to me but 'Danners' really helped me out a fair bit, always had faith in me. If I could turn back time I would re-pay him a bit more, but I can't do that. All I can do now is try and get as much out of my footy as possible now.''

Then Thompson hitting the road solely on the back of not liking the coach becomes a lot less plausible!

Possibly Thompson was unhappy he had a coach who was willing to accept sub-par performances and weak efforts from one of his favourites..?

That the coach wasn't willing to make any tough decisions for the better of the team, that he wasn't willing to drop a player like Travis as Voss has, so that he realizes more is expected of a professional footballer..?

I can understand that.

I thought he was once of the few Brisbane players who could hold their head up on Saturday night. He was a little unlucky with a couple of head high decisions that didn't go his way too.

I thought he gathered some (whilst possessions I guess are never easy in AFL) easy possessions in defensive 50 from transitional switching of play; thought he got caught alot with the ball and caused his teammates to get caught under pressure as well with his indecisiveness in looking for a pinpoint pass with his foot.

Keen Observations:

Loved the tackle Green put on him. Hunted him down well deceptively.

Whilst I'm at it. Loved the tackle from Sylvia on Staker. Didn't know what hit him.

I thought he gathered some (whilst possessions I guess are never easy in AFL) easy possessions in defensive 50 from transitional switching of play; thought he got caught alot with the ball and caused his teammates to get caught under pressure as well with his indecisiveness in looking for a pinpoint pass with his foot.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that he was one of their better players on Saturday. His chase down of Sylvia was very good also.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that he was one of their better players on Saturday. His chase down of Sylvia was very good also.

I thought Black was an absolute standout for the Lions. Had it not been for him, we would have romped it in by 70 points +.

I'll grant you his (Johnstone's) tackle on Sylvia, but really he looks too often for that genius pass and just looking for it time and again brings him undone (as well as his side). When it comes off it looks brilliant; I think Voss would wish he just do the basic first time option. Especially in the back half.

I thought Black was an absolute standout for the Lions. Had it not been for him, we would have romped it in by 70 points +.

I'll grant you his (Johnstone's) tackle on Sylvia, but really he looks too often for that genius pass and just looking for it time and again brings him undone (as well as his side). When it comes off it looks brilliant; I think Voss would wish he just do the basic first time option. Especially in the back half.

Agree HT.

TJ would be the antithesis of Voss. He is exactly the sort of player Voss would not trade a first round pick for.

His rundown of Sylvia was as much Col getting a bit headstrong and taking on the world.

TJ is the ultimate good time forward runner when the pressure is off.

Guest hangon007

2) Do we need a player like him?

Thats the "big" question. I dont give a damn about the "name" only about fulfilling our needs. Preferably I would prefer we found them internally but thats not always possible.

Kinda all depends ...

Where you think we are in the "cycle" plus how the land will alter with the introduction of two new teams ie Gold Coast & GWS

Quality clearance and stoppage players are worth their weight in gold. However, suffer from lack of appreciation & general knowledge by the footy public.

I agree, and suspect he'll poll 3 Brownlow votes for his performance.

I thought he was finished as a player. Showed me up.